Transformers Legacy toyline

Dake

Citizen
"Bad guy version of good guy character" is a classic fictional trope. Is it really that hard to grasp the concept?

UnfortunateDeadGilamonster-size_restricted.gif

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
I get what he IS. I just don't find him an interesting or likable example of it.

-ZacWilliam, again, it's totally cool that other folks do, I just don't see it.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Well, right now, a lot of fans of the character are not thrilled by this reveal due to it having the wrong deco.

Lobjob

Citizen
The Nemesises that came after are less cool (boring?), as characters, merely being evil clones of Optimus or whatever, but Scourge is his own guy. He is both Autobot, Decepticon and even part human; which is *wild*. Like, he has a good character arch and origin in RID, something future Nemesises just don't get. He's the OG for a reason. To each their own, but imo he stands out amongst the see of evil black optimuses (of which i own several...) that would follow.

LordGigaIce

words pain, funny man
Citizen
I like it.
I never had a proper RiD Scourge (I'm sure they're due in Canada any day now) but I do love the Legacy Laser Prime mould.

So Scourge will be a good get. Looks like a huge improvement over the RtS repaint and TR repaint outings.

The colour scheme not being accurate to RiD Scourge... I totally get how it can be a turnoff.
For me though? It looks good. More black and the pink transparent plastic makes it seem like he's "glowing" with energy.

And I'm so happy he's going to have pink instead of red.

UndeadScottsman

Citizen
One thing I always loved about Scourge/Black Convoy is that he was an oil tanker.. That seemed just perfect to me for an evil Prime, especially with the ridiculous level of weaponry that Laser Prime mold has. (Kind of a G2 thing. Bless your little 90's-ass heart, G2.)

It's funny, when I first saw pictures I was like "Awesome! He even has the upside down G2 symbols!" He looks great! But then the fandom started trotting out the comparison pictures and it's stark how different two black Primes can look.

I have the original Scourge, so I might just dig him out and call it a day, but if I didn't, I'd be strongly considering grabbing this toy.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
I always thought there was a lot of potential to Nemesis Prime as a character but its never fully grasped as a lot of time its just a copy of OP or some other character who has fallen into darkness, they never truly taken the time to explore the idea of Optimus prime abandoning his morals to become Nemesis prime and become a threat greater than that of Megatron and having wreaked havoc across one universe, he goes back in time and has to face himself or a slightly different verison and OP has to question his moral code and ask himself, is it truly worth protecting human life at the cost of never being able to restore Cybertron to its former glory, I mean if you look at the human race, we are a voilent race of beings and there always some kind of confict going on, so Optimus should ask himself, are they truly worth protecting and prehaps the verison that becomes Nemesis has been worn down by endless war and his officers bickering about how best to carry on the war, but then there is a trigger for Optimus to just snap, one thing I liked about IDW first run with the Matrix and a bit from Marvel run, is that it can be croupted or hold some kind of darkness within and it could boost the darkness within Optimus aiding in his fall!

Blot

Citizen
One thing I always loved about Scourge/Black Convoy is that he was an oil tanker.. That seemed just perfect to me for an evil Prime, especially with the ridiculous level of weaponry that Laser Prime mold has. (Kind of a G2 thing. Bless your little 90's-ass heart, G2.)

It's funny, when I first saw pictures I was like "Awesome! He even has the upside down G2 symbols!" He looks great! But then the fandom started trotting out the comparison pictures and it's stark how different two black Primes can look.

I have the original Scourge, so I might just dig him out and call it a day, but if I didn't, I'd be strongly considering grabbing this toy.
I think part of it is also Laser Prime just has one mean headsculpt, so it contasts with the more gentle and heroic Optimus Prime in a person's mind.

LordGigaIce

words pain, funny man
Citizen
There's a huge leap between "Hasbro realized battle damage is unpopular and re-issued a figure to not have it" and "Hasbro designed an entire deco to double-dip on the figure."

Because there's a good chance most people buying any release of Black Convoy/Scourge from the Legacy Laser Prime mould have Legacy G2 Prime. They've already got you double dipping.

I get that some people don't like the new deco. I totally understand it if you like the classic one better and are bummed that Hasbro gave you this. I'd suggest holding out for a TT release.
But I seriously doubt this is a malicious plan on Hasbro's part. You (not directed at you specifically Sabrblade) need to be careful about jumping from "it's not what I want" to "Hasbro has evil plans."

unluckiness

Hello everynyan!
Citizen
Truth be told, the mold looks good and I just just needed a non-Optimus excuse to buy it. Being more than a toy-only reuse helps too.

I don’t particularly mind the black:gray ratio but the pink pecs are getting painted over. Maybe the shoulders if time permits.

Last edited:

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Worst thing about Scourge to me is his name. Not that it's a bad name, but just all the baggage that's come with it since.

UndeadScottsman

Citizen
That's the thing about Scourge versus other evil Primes is that Scourge was an accident; he wasn't supposed to be an evil Prime, he was just going to be another Decepticon, so it makes sense he just has a random Decepticon name instead of "Nemesis Prime" or whatever.

Also I just remembered that Scourge is going to show up in the next film, so maybe that's why they did his color scheme so weirdly.

Glitch

Citizen
Scourge was a protoform infused with Gigatron's spark, Nemesis for the west is either a Unicron built monster or a future Optimus Prime.

I'm sure we'll get RiD Scourge in Selects like toy coloured Galvatron and Cyclonus.

unluckiness

Hello everynyan!
Citizen
I wouldn’t rule it out completely but toy Galvatron and Cyclonus offer an immediately different appearance from the retail release.

Would they release a Scourge extremely similar to this toy, especially when that might cut into sales of a retailer that they gave the exclusivity deal to?

Last edited:

Glitch

Citizen
Maybe in two years.

On a unrelated note, would a titan class Starscream be enticing to anyone? G2 Warworld alt mode to giant Starscream with some underbase detail? I never made a connection until rereading G2.

MrBlud

Citizen
I wouldn’t rule it out completely but toy Galvatron and Cyclonus offer an immediately different appearance from the retail release.

Would they release a Scourge extremely similar to this toy, especially when that might cut into sales of a retailer that they gave the exclusivity deal to?

They gave Walmart an exclusive off-color Elita-1 only to release a “proper” one at retail later.

Having an UW Baldigus level Black Convoy as a Pulsecon exclusive or Takara doing one as a Premium Finish release is certainly possible IMO.

LordGigaIce

words pain, funny man
Citizen
The thing with Scourge is that...he is his universe's answer to Nemesis Prime. Had they gone ahead with that name in 2001 I doubt anyone would have batted an eye.

Thing is they didn't- he was Scourge. And the fact that he actually got character further differentiated him from his other "black and teal evil Optimus clones" peers. It's one of the the little inconsistencies in this franchise that are, frankly, fun. Nothing was planned out in any grand vision (which makes attempts like the Binder really hilarious). It was all done by the seat of their pants and that's perfectly ok. Leads to crazy stuff that doesn't make sense.

Top Bottom