What stupid thing did the GOP say or do this time? Episode 3!

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
And then they can point at those mothers and children suffering, and say that clearly it's because minorities are bad and inferior and destroying MUH MURRICA with their poverty and sickness and desperation. The fact that it's the GOP's own fault is disregarded because that was then and this is now.

Patch

Citizen
Remember when they wanted to revoke birthright citizenship? Can't possibly imagine why they'd want to do that...

abates

unfortunate shark issues
Citizen
One problem I can see is if, say, Google bought a company that owned IP from more than 56 years ago, that IP would presumably instantly fall into the public domain.

NovaSaber

Citizen
It's limited specifically to large corporations that produce substantial works?
Meaning that if some big corporation owns a copyright but doesn't make entertainment anymore, they still get to just squat on it for the current extended period?

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Yup. I'm all for reducing copyright length across the board, not just for large corporations. Hawley's proposal will simply make large entertainment companies hand off their ips to smaller shell companies that they control, changing nothing.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
One problem I can see is if, say, Google bought a company that owned IP from more than 56 years ago, that IP would presumably instantly fall into the public domain.
That's a weird way to spell "awesome side effect".

Yup. I'm all for reducing copyright length across the board, not just for large corporations. Hawley's proposal will simply make large entertainment companies hand off their ips to smaller shell companies that they control, changing nothing.
It would, at least, force these companies to pretend to not own those things anymore, which would mean no more Space Jam "LOOK AT ALL THE ICONIC BRANDS OUR MEGACORP OWNS"-fests, I suppose.

KidTDragon

Now with hi-res avatar!
Citizen
Susan Collins: Afraid of chalk.

Probably unlikely that she'll announce tomorrow that the chalk-writers have learned their lesson, huh?

It would, at least, force these companies to pretend to not own those things anymore, which would mean no more Space Jam "LOOK AT ALL THE ICONIC BRANDS OUR MEGACORP OWNS"-fests, I suppose.
I think it would still happen, it would just require more paperwork since the smaller companies would have to license the characters to the megacorp.

abates

unfortunate shark issues
Citizen
That's a weird way to spell "awesome side effect".
It would discourage companies from buying and hoarding old IP, but as far as I can tell, it's only Disney that is both doing that and over the net worth threshold.

Hell, they could probably avoid the penalty altogether by breaking off parts of their company into smaller companies.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
They should be doing that anyway. Even more than the sheer amount of acquisitions they've made, I'm sick of them lumping them all into the Disney brand. I hate seeing their damn logo on all the Star Wars Lego boxes. I hate that they shut down Touchstone because it doesn't fit into their perfect mold of family entertainment (when that was literally the whole point). I hate that Miracle on 34th Street and Don Bluth's Thumbelina are on Disney+ and that we'll probably start seeing Anastasia walking around Disney World in another year or so.

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen

I have to admit, I wasn't expecting the ban list to include hoards of insects, but here we are.

Wheelimus

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
What do you know, I had Mobile Biblical Plagues on my battshittery card. BINGO!

*Oldspark laughing icon here*

abates

unfortunate shark issues
Citizen
Flamethrowers, knives, zip ties: banned
Guns: still allowed

Wait, aren't flamethrowers just guns that shoot fire instead of bullets? Why aren't they covered under the second amendment?

Top Bottom