Shattered Glass Thread

LordGigaIce

words pain, funny man
Citizen
Looks like he has the purple Autobot logo painted on to him. I may put a reprolabel over it. Or maybe just tell myself that his is royal purple because he's the leader?
If the plastic the SG Autobrand is on is moulded in the base colours then I'm using rubbing alcohol and then applying reprolabels. If the SG symbol is applied over a painted surface? Slightly bigger reprolabels to cover it up.

LordGigaIce

words pain, funny man
Citizen
Is this the first time a figure has come with an extra head where head or face swapping wasn't built into the figure naturally (like MP-52's faces for example).
I think this is a first.
Honestly? I've been impressed by the effort they've put into the SG line. They could have straight up said "this is a different SG continuity, SG Megatron is a tank now, Starscream doesn't have swords, etc..." but instead they've put the effort into trying to replicate the TFCC's established SG look as much as they can with current moulds.

Megs getting enough add-ons to turn his tank into a space jet, Starscream getting his swords...even here. Not only are we getting an optional head but they're giving us Legacy Laser Prime's sword weapon with SG UM because the Club's SG UM had a sword.

They didn't have to go that extra mile with any of these because "this is a different SG continuity" could have been a cover to do the bare minimum, but they didn't.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
All except for the Optimus and Ratchet 2-pack, that is.

Optimus's deco is based not on that of the BotCon figure but instead on the MP, which used noticeably different color shades from the BotCon 2008 toy's deco.

Ratchet, meanwhile, has a deco that looks closer to that of SG Soundwave than SG Ratchet. Same with his body more resembling Soundwave's Earth body that was also a Ratchet/Ironhide mold, whereas the original SG Ratchet had a crane truck body for which Earthrise Grapple would have been a better match.

But the later five figures of the SG line proper? Definitely agree with you there.

(Although, some still feel that Goldbug should have been the Runamuck/Runabout mold to better capture the look of both his BotCon toy and G1 Godbug's robot mode.)

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
Wanting everything in Skywarp colors and buying up Seekers by the dozen?

I'm waiting for a SG Shockwave & Soundwave to appear, then I'm also kind of wanting to see Commander class Rodimus done in his SG colours, while I got the POTP figure, its not really the best in a lot of ways!

I think this is a first.
Honestly? I've been impressed by the effort they've put into the SG line. They could have straight up said "this is a different SG continuity, SG Megatron is a tank now, Starscream doesn't have swords, etc..." but instead they've put the effort into trying to replicate the TFCC's established SG look as much as they can with current moulds.

Megs getting enough add-ons to turn his tank into a space jet, Starscream getting his swords...even here. Not only are we getting an optional head but they're giving us Legacy Laser Prime's sword weapon with SG UM because the Club's SG UM had a sword.

They didn't have to go that extra mile with any of these because "this is a different SG continuity" could have been a cover to do the bare minimum, but they didn't.

I'm glad that they did as it makes it a bit more impressive, thou my SG Megatron and Starscream both have gotten some after market parts added onto them to bring them a bit closer to the original desgins!

In my personal Headcannon for SG OP origins, he gained a lust for power and was tempted by the Dark Matrix but he became full on evil when he and Elita disagreed about state of affairs and he killed her as he began desending into darkness and becoming a monster the likes of Cybertron has never seen before!

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
It'd be neat if they did a solo redo of Prime in more Botcon-ish shades, even with battle damage and whatnot (the original whad some scuffy detailing), as a proper part of the line. Perhaps with the trailer, although that I can take or leave.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
It'd be neat if they did a solo redo of Prime in more Botcon-ish shades, even with battle damage and whatnot (the original whad some scuffy detailing), as a proper part of the line. Perhaps with the trailer, although that I can take or leave.
Maybe even with the Siege mold to make him look more aggressive and treated as an upgraded form (a "reverse" upgrade, if you will, much like how the Fun Pub SG Optimus's upgrades were all forms that looked like they'd be downgraded forms but were just the opposite).

Exatron

Kaiser Dragon
Citizen
If the head can be unscrewed (to split the face), the eyes can usually then be painted (even by the most unsteady of hands) and, once dry, put back into the "sockets" of the face. That's a really simple and easy custom that anyone can do.
I'll second this. My painting skills are virtually nonexistent. The few customs I've attempted so far haven't turned out well, and I haven't even tried tackling some of the larger projects I'd really like to do yet. But fixing or changing the eye paint on the typical heads where the eyes themselves are projections from the back of the head through holes in the front half? Even I've managed that easily.

Shadewing

Citizen
Maybe even with the Siege mold to make him look more aggressive and treated as an upgraded form (a "reverse" upgrade, if you will, much like how the Fun Pub SG Optimus's upgrades were all forms that looked like they'd be downgraded forms but were just the opposite).

Of course they could just do SG Laser Prime, since they didnt use the mold for Magnus.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
I'll second this. My painting skills are virtually nonexistent. The few customs I've attempted so far haven't turned out well, and I haven't even tried tackling some of the larger projects I'd really like to do yet. But fixing or changing the eye paint on the typical heads where the eyes themselves are projections from the back of the head through holes in the front half? Even I've managed that easily.
And they look great! I especially like using metallic paints, usually with a correspondingly clear coloured paint (clear blue over metallic blue) to give the impression of glass-like lenses over bright metallic inner-eyes).

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
Of course they could just do SG Laser Prime, since they didnt use the mold for Magnus.

I expect they likely are considering using the Laser OP as their next SG Op thou I expect it might not happen until next year, maybe as the Laser prime is fairly new so I would expect a repaint within the next year or so, thou it could be that they sell him minus his trailer, but we'll see!

Shadewing

Citizen
thou it could be that they sell him minus his trailer, but we'll see!
That's how I'm picturing it, like the Netflix Optimus who was the Earthrise version without Trailer. Maybe some new accessories thrown in to make him standout a bit more from Legacy Prime.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
That's how I'm picturing it, like the Netflix Optimus who was the Earthrise version without Trailer. Maybe some new accessories thrown in to make him standout a bit more from Legacy Prime.

The question is, what kind of accessories would they include? Then again, they might make it a double pack of sorts, it could be that you get the stand alone figure but prehaps a target master or maybe a blizardly coloured fossilzer?

Shadewing

Citizen
If it were me, I'd include probably Firedrive in like black or gunmetal type colors, as a reference to the blaster that came with the original Laser Prime. Probably make him SG Hi-Q or Apex or something.

Powered Convoy

Randy
Citizen
All except for the Optimus and Ratchet 2-pack, that is.

Optimus's deco is based not on that of the BotCon figure but instead on the MP, which used noticeably different color shades from the BotCon 2008 toy's deco.

Ratchet, meanwhile, has a deco that looks closer to that of SG Soundwave than SG Ratchet. Same with his body more resembling Soundwave's Earth body that was also a Ratchet/Ironhide mold, whereas the original SG Ratchet had a crane truck body for which Earthrise Grapple would have been a better match.

But the later five figures of the SG line proper? Definitely agree with you there.

(Although, some still feel that Goldbug should have been the Runamuck/Runabout mold to better capture the look of both his BotCon toy and G1 Godbug's robot mode.)
Ratchet is likely taking inspiration from the one SG toy he had, the final year's custom class figure. Which saw him in mostly white with green highlights. Rather than mostly light green.

Was never a fan of the SG MP OP colors. Glad 3K SG OP didn't used them and went for a BotCon color scheme.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Both of your suggestions are great, but I was mainly looking for a chance to get that corrected color scheme on the Earthrise mold. But again, neither of those are bad ideas.

Top Bottom