Star Trek General Discussion: Strange New Worlds new season is filming!

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
Humanity only had light speed communication at that point, so to wait a few days they would have had to have sent that text 16 and a half years before first contact even happened...

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen

Playmates has a new website up for their relaunched Star Trek slate due this summer (Prodigy due in October). It's such an amusing throwback. It's a modern "Flash-esque" site designed like the old LCARS interface. Got noises and little animations, just a delight for those of us that remember when corporate sites actually put effort into making their site visits something of an experience. All it needed was frames!
And Q is there! Shows up every now and then with assorted "Q-isms"!

Fun site, hopefully Playmates keeps up on product updates.

Kup

Citizen
Quick look at those on EE...I like them. A lot. I LOVE the retro packaging even more so. It's cool that these are straight reissues, though that means no ripped shirt Riker or open hand for an uppercut-to-the-chin action.

The Dahl and Murf set is excellent. All of the Prodigy ones look great to me

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
Quick look at those on EE...I like them. A lot. I LOVE the retro packaging even more so. It's cool that these are straight reissues, though that means no ripped shirt Riker or open hand for an uppercut-to-the-chin action.

The Dahl and Murf set is excellent. All of the Prodigy ones look great to me
What are you...?
Oh. Oh my...
That packaging just hits ALL the right notes on me. I wanted to cut back, but I might have to get one or two just for the packaging. Though Discovery (and I assume other recent Trek shows will get this design) looks pretty sharp too.

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I love it. They even accounted for the overuse of pink and purple for enemy ships and objects.

All it's missing is the purple springy legged pterodactyls that somehow made it into roughly 1/3 of the episodes.

EDIT: This guy:
infinite2.jpg

Copper Bezel

Revenge against God for the crime of Being.
Citizen
Oh, weird, I'd forgotten those had a habit of reappearing. I remembered them but thought they'd been a one-time thing.

Copper Bezel

Revenge against God for the crime of Being.
Citizen
A little on the nose, since the replacement nonhumanoid bridge crew in TOS included a cat person as well. But authentically presented.

TM2-Megatron

Citizen
A new, highly-detailed diecast model of the original U.S.S. Enterprise is currently being crowdfunded by Prestige Select/TOMY International. At 1/350 scale, it comes in at 34 inches long and will weigh more than 20lbs. It features full electronic lights and the primary/secondary hulls can separate. At $599 USD, 5000 backers are required for the project to proceed.

I have to say, this is about exactly the level of quality and size in a high-quality replica I'd been hoping to see... very much akin to the ship models that various Trek characters (mostly captains) have displayed in their quarters or office. Previously we've seen those releases that are practically replicas of the original studio model and priced accordingly in the multi-thousands of dollar range... I think QMx's NX-01 Artisan Replica went for around $4000.

This release comes very close to hitting that sweet spot of price and quality, although maybe $100 less would've been nice. If this is successful, I hope we see more of these in the future. In particular, I'd love to see the refit-Constitution, either 1701 or the -A. To this day, I think that's still the most beautiful ship design in Star Trek.

Official site

Top Bottom