Transformers Collaborative thread (Transformers X TMNT - Party Wallop)

Powered Convoy

Randy
Citizen
Therein lies the problem.

They could have forgone maintaining the look of G1 Megatron's torso and just made the HISS Tank cockpit his torso.
That would have been ideal, but that's one big cockpit to try to integrate anywhere. Even if his limbs and lower half all surrounded a mostly unaltered cockpit, he'd probably look very much like a HISS cockpit with a head and limbs poking out of it.

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I don't know. Their first goal was to make a G.I. Joe vehicle with as few compromises as possible, and they succeeded. Unfortunately all the compromises had to go somewhere. I think they could have reduced the compromises if they made a Megatron out H.I.S.S. tank parts instead of trying to ball up a G1 Megatron and hide it in a H.I.S.S. tank, but a G1 Megatron was clearly the second goal. For some reason.

I can't hate it though. The side view is going to be hilarious.
Imagine the G1 Optimus character model with Sky Striker parts hanging off. A very obvious cab-over-engine truck chest, but he turns into a plane.

I guess if I think of this as more for the Joe fans that for Transformers fans, the design decisions makes sense. The main goal was to get a good looking HISS tank with the Megatron as the secondary feature. It has to look like G1 Megatron, because that's the version that non-Transformers fans are going to recognize. This is designed for someone that isn't a Transformers fan who's used to Megatron looking different throughout different incarnations of the brand.

Blot

Citizen
Oh yeah, ha ha I forgot about that one. Not a fan of that idea.
Yeah, it was mostly a joking sort of response since "what if Optimus but his robot mode looked like the G1 character model regardless of what he actually turns into" is like, Optimus Toy Design 101 going back to Powermaster. He's like the one guy this sort of design quirk happens to all the time.

My big question about future toys is if Megatron's the standard of "the G1 character look inside a GI Joe vehicle", how will Optimus and Bumblebee pull it off-- Joes aren't known for having vehicles in canary yellow or red and blue. At least Megatron's a grey and black robot wearing a black vehicle mode. Optimus or Bee with their bold primary colors jarringly meeting up with olive drab on the other hand...

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
I tried to watch the ARAH cartoon but that first mini-series was both too goofy and ridiculous for my tastes and had way too many characters that I had no personal attachment to for me to keep track of all of them and really care about any of them.
I will admit, I love the ARAH cartoon, but there was usually a pretty big dollop of goofy in every episode. The second mini-series was marginally better, but the third ratchets the goofy up to 11.

Obviously, Joe is not to everyones taste, and thats okay. However, I would recommend the episodes 'Synthoid Conspiracy', 'Memories of Mara', and 'Theres No Place Like Springfield', as those episodes directly relate to the TF episode 'Only Human'. Other gems would be The Wrong Stuff, Primordial Plot, and Worlds Without End. The first is amusingly subversive, the second is Jurassic Park lite, and the third is an intense What if... two-part episode. None of these is likely to change your opinion of ARAH, but I think they are all decent watches on their own.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Imagine the G1 Optimus character model with Sky Striker parts hanging off. A very obvious cab-over-engine truck chest, but he turns into a plane.
Hot-Toys-Optimus-Prime-11.jpg

Lobjob

Citizen
Its just, how many Megatrons do I own? Too many? Okay, how many of those turn in to HISS tanks capable of transporting multiple G.I. Joes, of which I *also* have too many?

0? Well, that's the ammount of seconds it took me to smash that preorder button.

Secondly, Considering how high Joe aftermarket prices are, I honestly feel this thing's 100 dollar price tag to be a bargain.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
I will admit, I love the ARAH cartoon, but there was usually a pretty big dollop of goofy in every episode. The second mini-series was marginally better, but the third ratchets the goofy up to 11.

Obviously, Joe is not to everyones taste, and thats okay. However, I would recommend the episodes 'Synthoid Conspiracy', 'Memories of Mara', and 'Theres No Place Like Springfield', as those episodes directly relate to the TF episode 'Only Human'. Other gems would be The Wrong Stuff, Primordial Plot, and Worlds Without End. The first is amusingly subversive, the second is Jurassic Park lite, and the third is an intense What if... two-part episode. None of these is likely to change your opinion of ARAH, but I think they are all decent watches on their own.
Yeah, the main thing about it is that I did not grow up on the ARAH cartoon. Since I was born a purely 90s kid right in the middle of 1990, I grew up on very few 80s cartoons (mainly reruns and VHS tapes of Muppet Babies, which I still love, and episodes of TMNT, which has been replaced by the 2003 series as my preferred version). I did get to see the G1 cartoon early enough in my life to enjoy it, as it came out on DVD when I was still a preteen/early teen. But ARAH I did not first see until it started airing on the Hub, by which point I was in my twenties.

Growing up, my older brother had some Joe ARAH vehicle toys when he was, like, six, which is when I was three. But I wasn't allowed to even look at them back then, so my exposure to them was very limited. I couldn't tell you which ones he had. All I can remember of them was that they were in realistic colors like gray or dark green.

I did not watch G.I. Joe: Extreme, but I do remember seeing commercials for it when both it and Beast Wars aired as part of the Power Block in syndication (it was UPN for me).

And I never saw either Spy Troops or Valor vs. Venom, despite seeing them both on the rental shelves at Blockbuster. So, Sigma 6 was the first real exposure I had to a G.I. Joe cartoon. And, the weird voice changes 4Kids gave to Duke and Scarlett aside, I remember thinking it was fine since I was still young enough when it aired.

Last edited:

Dake

Citizen
Looking more closely at the pictures, I'm not totally convinced HISSMegs will be quite as big, as it looks like Baroness' legs are slightly bent to fit. They wouldn't need to be in the Joe toy, so maybe it'll be a little smaller.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
My big question about future toys is if Megatron's the standard of "the G1 character look inside a GI Joe vehicle", how will Optimus and Bumblebee pull it off-- Joes aren't known for having vehicles in canary yellow or red and blue. At least Megatron's a grey and black robot wearing a black vehicle mode. Optimus or Bee with their bold primary colors jarringly meeting up with olive drab on the other hand...

Likely similar to how this vehicle pulls of Megatron, pretty much hide the none miltray colours and just show the alt mode as it is, likely yellow robot underneath when it comes to BB, OP, I'm sure they'll think of something!

Blot

Citizen
Looking more closely at the pictures, I'm not totally convinced HISSMegs will be quite as big, as it looks like Baroness' legs are slightly bent to fit. They wouldn't need to be in the Joe toy, so maybe it'll be a little smaller.
One of the call-outs the product listing pages for this have is that it's in accurate scale to the vintage toy.

TriBlurr

Citizen
There's a blurb on the back of the brown inner box that seems to imply the other collab figure is Bumblebee.

Guessing he's a Vamp.

"Surveillance has detected spies scouting cobra base. Unauthorized vehicle is identified as subject B. Be prepared to intercept. Their sting is sharp, but we are poised to strike"

Screenshot_20220224-122056_YouTube.jpg

Powered Convoy

Randy
Citizen
There's a blurb on the back of the brown inner box that seems to imply the other collab figure is Bumblebee.

Guessing he's a Vamp.

"Surveillance has detected spies scouting cobra base. Unauthorized vehicle is identified as subject B. Be prepared to intercept. Their sting is sharp, but we are poised to strike"

View attachment 4498
He's likely to be a green or tan Vamp or something similar.

G.B.Blackrock

Citizen
No, I know. I guess I'm surprised because there has been enough crossover between the two over the last near-40 years, and the HISS is arguably the iconic Cobra vehicle.
That's just it, though. It's fine if someone just isn't a Joe fan, and thus doesn't care that's what the HISS tank looks like. It just seems odd to criticize a toy that explicitly transforms into a HISS tank for having an awkward vehicle mode.

Last edited:

Top Bottom