The Book of Boba Fett

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
The series had its moments, but this finale really hammered home the problems in the writing.

Spent the entire time yelling at characters: "What the hell is your plan??? What are your goals???"
Yeah, it's like...I certainly enjoyed a solid chunk of the series. But it feels like there really wasn't a solid story, or at least a concise way of getting there. It feels like there was a clear attempt at pleasing multiple "masters" here, and nobody was really well taken care of. It's ended and it's a collection of fun bits, no real "whole" to dig into.

The "Current Fett" arc just wandered about until the last couple of episodes (excluding the two episode detour into Mandalorian season 2.5). The Mando centric episodes stand out even more than they would have purely based on the gulf of quality between them and the "Normal" Fett episodes.

That isn't to say there wasn't a LOT to enjoy. I appreciated what they did with the "Dances with Banthas" flashbacks, and there were REALLY well done by all involved. The Mod Gang was something visually fresh and interesting in the current Star Wars meta. Matt Berry droid and mercenary wookie were great. Seeing Cad Bane (with Corey Burton reprising even!) was a wonderful callback for a great character. Even the awful pursuit sequence is almost absolved by the sheer insanity we got in the finale. Big ass new battle droids, Mando jet pack fighting, Boba Fett riding a rancor into battle, it was all amazingly FUN.

But it largely felt like empty fun. The joke image of kids playing with toys being analogus to how this series is being put together feels....shockingly on point.

And worst of all? Given how Disney is operating with their licensees...it may well be a year or more before some of this cool shit becomes toys of any scale. I would buy a Mando N1 in Mission Fleet RIGHT NOW if Hasbro had it available.

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.
Citizen
Final shot on Cad Bane was odd too. I dunno. I would figure he has to be dead but it also felt like they wanted you to notice the blinking light on his chest what with the sound design making sure you could hear it too. If that was just supposed to be nothing its so odd they gave a clear sfx to it.
I thought that bit was clearly supposed to telegraph his return. According to the lore, his species isn't supposed to live very long so it's possible that he's already been upgraded with cybernetic implants. If so, getting stabbed in the chest may not be fatal for him.

However, you'd think Boba Fett would notice if Bane's body suddenly disappeared.

Sean Whitmore

Citizen
Don't get me started on how ridiculous that was.

-Boss Pyke brags that he dealt Boba Fett this serious emotional blow
-Bane, who knows how dangerous Boba can be when he takes things personally, asks if Boba is aware of this
-Boss Pyke says no, we blamed it on someone else, and Bane seems satisfied by this
-Then someone mentions that there's no way to get to Boba because the burnt-to-shit, collapsing wreck of a bar he's hiding in is apparently impenetrable
-And Bane's like, "Oh, hey, I have a plan, I'll draw him out by teasing him with the knowledge that I was worried he might have 3 seconds ago"

For a hot second, I thought maybe Bane had some plan to play Boba and the Pykes against each other, like Clint Eastwood in Fistful of Dollars. But no, I was giving the show way too much credit.

Darth_Prime

Citizen
😂
EB961ACD-0140-481A-95B2-A0870B254044.jpeg

Shadewing

Citizen
Din's carrying this show on his shoulders...

... and yet it feels like they undid his entire show. Din realized his way of life is totally unfit for raising a kid (much less a force-sensitive one) so the best option for Grogu is to give him up to a capable Jedi Knight... just for the baby to come back immediately. Like I dunno, I love the Mando/Baby interactions and was kinda hoping for them to get back together eventually, after some actual character development for both of them. Instead, Luke shoots a baby, unlocks traumatic memories in a baby, and demands a baby to make a permanent life-long career choice, so said baby promptly runs back to his nurturing father-figure.
What. The. Hug.

Clearly they decided they didn't want Grogu killed in the jedi massacre, and quickly wrote him out so they don't lose their newest cash cow.

Fenrir

Citizen
I thought it was weird that Boba didn't get any resolution with the Pyke leader. I know Fennec is the assassin and Boba barely knew the guy, but they should have found a way to let Boba bring him down. I think we needed one more episode to resolve that.

When Boba killed Bib Fortuna in the epilogue of Mandalorian season two, I had no idea why he wanted to take over Jabba's palace. Now that this series is over, I still don't know. He's trying to be a crime boss without doing any crime or having any allies, business, or connections. The end result is great, since he and Fennec eliminated all of the major criminal organizations and the city is now free, but that wasn't really his intent. With all the criminals gone, he should probably just run for Mayor.

I really enjoyed Cad Bane's appearance, and hope we'll see him again. He's too fun a character to lose. He should be the antagonist in Book of Cobb Vanth. I loved that unbridled rage and fury on his face whenever he said something completely mundane.

All in all, the show was fun and interesting, but I wouldn't say that it was "good." It was a series of vignettes only loosely tied together into a story, but still fun to watch.

Sean Whitmore

Citizen
When Boba killed Bib Fortuna in the epilogue of Mandalorian season two, I had no idea why he wanted to take over Jabba's palace. Now that this series is over, I still don't know.

That's the crux of the show's problem, right there.

With the best will in the world, I can allow that there is some connective tissue between Boba losing his Tusken family to criminals, and him wanting to take over as a kinder, gentler Kingpin who avoids unnecessary conflict. But I feel like I'm doing too much of the heavy lifting in that analysis. The main character's core motivations really should be a bit more explicit than that.

Oh, hey, speaking of, here's an idea. Instead of letting your entire battle strategy stand or fall based on whether or not TEN PEOPLE from Freetown decide to show up, how about recruiting some more Tusken tribes? Use that knowledge of both worlds to maybe foster some sense of community between them and the city folk? Maybe bring things around full circle so that we go from the Tusken's changing Boba's worldview to him changing theirs?

Y'know, KIND OF LIKE A STORY.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Saw it. Rather enjoyed all the action and intensity when the team was getting ambushed. I hate that they did a double Soul gem death (apt cuz Gamora?) but they let all the punk cyborgs survive. I was worried for Santo for a while there though.

Er, the cyborg lady and freeman woman on top of the tower accomplished... What? I assumed they're break the force field but the rancor appeared a few seconds earlier.

Also, could have done with an actual training scene, like, c'mon a riding lesson where he falls off and the rancor does a monster chuckle or something.

Did Fennec act on her own accord? Or did Boba order her to do the wetworks?

See! They should have been in the same piloting spot. Too isolated and lonely up there, aaaaw. Still, cute scene, hahaha

Also, where's the deputy?

Sean Whitmore

Citizen
I was this close to making a Bob Marley joke, but then I remembered Cobb was a marshal and not a sheriff, so screw it.

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.
Citizen
He was originally a sheriff in the novel he was first introduced. Not sure why they changed it for the show.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
Oh, hey, speaking of, here's an idea. Instead of letting your entire battle strategy stand or fall based on whether or not TEN PEOPLE from Freetown decide to show up, how about recruiting some more Tusken tribes? Use that knowledge of both worlds to maybe foster some sense of community between them and the city folk? Maybe bring things around full circle so that we go from the Tusken's changing Boba's worldview to him changing theirs?

Thank you! I was fully expecting some big Tusken army being lead by Boba on a rancor to be the big battle turn.

I was a little let down I didn't get that. But we got more Grogu so....it kind of balances? Maybe?

(Nope, it doesn't)

Fenrir

Citizen

Yeah, I expected tuskens to show up for a grand finale, even if they're not his particular group. Using his gaffii stick at the end is nice, but not really a significant payoff for that whole backstory.

I found it odd that Boba couldn't rally or hire a single person in Mos Espa to stand up against the Pykes, other than the mods. Or rather, I found it odd that he didn't try. If the Mos Espa citizens are too soft or scared of the local crime bosses, he does have an entire hive of scum and villainy in his territory where he could hire a bunch of allies. I don't get what the obstacle was.

Am I the only one who's a bit tired of Grogu now? I was fully ready to move on from that arc.

I'm not tired of him, but I didn't want him back in this episode and he didn't fit here. The cliffhanger of Luke's choice should have been the last we see of him until midway through Mandalorian season three.

Top Bottom