The Book of Boba Fett

Axaday

Citizen
When Fennec woke up after cyborg surgery, she asks Boba who he is. I'm not saying they can't explain it, but that really struck me as implausible. Boba Fett usually wears a helmet, yes. But Fennec has been in the business a long time and Boba Fett didn't always wear the armor and he actually goes by his given name and I'm pretty shocked if Fennec doesn't recognize THAT face. That leaves possibly thousands of options, but surely she would know a Jango clone when she saw one and have a pretty short list who this could be.

Dake

Citizen
When Fennec woke up after cyborg surgery, she asks Boba who he is. I'm not saying they can't explain it, but that really struck me as implausible. Boba Fett usually wears a helmet, yes. But Fennec has been in the business a long time and Boba Fett didn't always wear the armor and he actually goes by his given name and I'm pretty shocked if Fennec doesn't recognize THAT face. That leaves possibly thousands of options, but surely she would know a Jango clone when she saw one and have a pretty short list who this could be.

Eh, I don't think her not immediately knowing who he is is implausible. We know there aren't a ton of clones around by this point, and haven't been for years. She may not have encountered an older Clone, and Boba is in pretty rough shape to boot. Also... she was mostly dead so waking up with new robot guts in the middle of the desert across from a dude dressed like a Tusken would be enough input to process on its own. The moment he said his name, you can see from her expression she knows exactly who Boba Fett is, but she also thought he was dead so it's understandable that's not where her mind went at first.

Shoot, haven't you ever run into someone from work out in public and not recognized them because they're not in their work uniform? Now imagine that's someone you've also only ever heard about or maybe seen from a distance.

PiratedTVPro

Ancient Protoform
Citizen
Unfortunately, as long as Ep 7-9 are canon, we know Luke failed badly in avoiding the old mistakes. (And I fully expect the spoiler weasels to be shouting about Grogu's choice by 11:05 Central time next Tuesday night.)

---Dave

I hope we don't see Grogu's decision until next season. Let that sit for a while and simmer.

Axaday

Citizen
Eh, I don't think her not immediately knowing who he is is implausible. We know there aren't a ton of clones around by this point, and haven't been for years. She may not have encountered an older Clone, and Boba is in pretty rough shape to boot. Also... she was mostly dead so waking up with new robot guts in the middle of the desert across from a dude dressed like a Tusken would be enough input to process on its own. The moment he said his name, you can see from her expression she knows exactly who Boba Fett is, but she also thought he was dead so it's understandable that's not where her mind went at first.

Shoot, haven't you ever run into someone from work out in public and not recognized them because they're not in their work uniform? Now imagine that's someone you've also only ever heard about or maybe seen from a distance.
The Clone War is one of the most significant recent historical events. Kids growing up way out on Tattooine call it "The Clone Wars". They must know that the Galactic Republic was using an army of clones. Is it really possible that what one of those clones looked like under the mask isn't public knowledge?

It seems possible that who they were clones of has stayed a secret and it is possible that Boba Fett has kept it a secret that he looks just like a clone, but I am pretty skeptical that he's kept it a secret from someone like Fennec Shand. Bossk and Dengar know.

When was the last time Bo Katan HEARD a clone? She needed one line of dialogue to recognize Boba's voice.

To me personally, the mysterious man behind the mask turning out to have one of the most recognizable faces in the Galaxy is one of the most interesting things this show could have touched. And we got a good tease of it last season. Just a miss for me. He has about as compelling a reason not to remove his mask as Mando does.

Last edited:

Darth_Prime

Citizen
I hope we don't see Grogu's decision until next season. Let that sit for a while and simmer.
Agreed. Let this be how Mando season 3 starts.

I did read some article from Facebook (so take it for what its worth) but it said in one of the comics Rise of Kyle Ren I think, it showed Ben at the academy talking about how he was the first student and soon others followed. But Luke told Grogu he would be the first student..... of course this also wouldnt be the first time Star Wars changes its own history.

Sean Whitmore

Citizen
The series had its moments, but this finale really hammered home the problems in the writing.

Spent the entire time yelling at characters: "What the hell is your plan??? What are your goals???"

Thefakelink

Citizen
Well that was certainly a finale. It was good in parts but still lacked …… something. And I agree with the above post. The writing was inconsistent. Especially at the end when Boba is walking around with Fennec, finally having earned the respect of the people he’s been claiming to fight for, only to turn around and say “We’re not suited for this.”This might be a way of signalling a “killer”Boba Fett for S2, but it felt pretty hamfisted.

Axaday

Citizen
I have scant understanding of what the Pyke's wanted. Are they fighting just to be able to sell drugs on Tatooine? Space is different from this kind of story in a western. The desert that the Tusken's roam is not on the way from Kessel to any other planet. If you aren't going to Tatooine, there is no reason to land there. It doesn't seem like it is an awfully populace planet. What is the train for? So they don't have to also land in Mos Eisley?

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.
Citizen
The only way I can make sense of the whole spice thing is by assuming that there are complexities to the spice trade that we're not even aware of. If spice shipments are just changing hands, why don't they offload it from one ship to another in the same space port? If it's highly illegal and thus dangerous to transport, who's actually enforcing the law there?

This whole mess is about as clear as the trade dispute in The Phantom Menace.

Dake

Citizen
The series had its moments, but this finale really hammered home the problems in the writing.

Spent the entire time yelling at characters: "What the hell is your plan??? What are your goals???"

100% this. The whole series was uneven, and the finale was just more so. I really don't get why it went the way it did. Even the cool things were quickly overcome by "what the?" moments. At least the Mando interlude of eps 5 and 6 was good and hopefully indicates a return to form.

Axaday

Citizen
Last night I got caught up through 6.

I suppose they surely have an idea where the story is going beyond here and the "modern" Boba Fett story was setup for something else they want to do. I suppose that.

Just for its own sake, I feel like they shant have bothered. They could have told the flashback story in order and fleshed it out a little more and just had the show be about how Boba Fett got from the Sarlacc to where he met Mando. Flesh it out a little more and do 3-4 episodes of that. I could totally do without the Boba is trying to be a crime boss part.

Axaday

Citizen
I had thought that "The Book of" would make sense now, but it doesn't to me. The only context readily at my hand is that it sounds like a Book of the Bible. But that doesn't make sense. All the other shows have very simple titles. What is this?

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.
Citizen
I can only hope there's another season or two to justify it. Maybe Fett is instrumental in some conflict with Thrawn?

Monique

Guess whos back
Citizen
Fennecs little murder spree at the end was... surprisingly intense for a Disney+ show. I mean after a bunch of shooty space lasers and almost zero blood we watch her straight up hang a guy and leave him dangling from the ceiling and then Agent 47 the Pike leader somehow without any other visable way into the room.

Final shot on Cad Bane was odd too. I dunno. I would figure he has to be dead but it also felt like they wanted you to notice the blinking light on his chest what with the sound design making sure you could hear it too. If that was just supposed to be nothing its so odd they gave a clear sfx to it.

I'm not sure why Cobb is in the bacta tank. I mean yes obviously I know its because he got shot in the shoulder but also like while suspension of disbelief is a thing are we really supposed to not question how Cobb got shot maybe a day prior, was carried all the way to Fetts city, was just somewhere out of the way while the whole fight went down, and only after is given medical treatment for a wound that apparently is bad enough that he needs to get modded to recover? I dunno it felt like sloppy writing especially after they made it seem like the people of Freetown were saying he died. I mean they never specifically said he died but "gunned down" carries implications.

I have to agree with what other people said. It was an uneven finale with some writing errors and a few badass moments.

Axaday

Citizen
I'm not sure what the extent of the modder's power is. If you can replace the right parts, maybe recent death is okay.

Thefakelink

Citizen
IIRC, they went out of their way to show the deputy getting shot multiple times but Cobb only once. To me, it signalled that he’d be back at some point.

Noideaforaname

Stone and Sky
Citizen
Din's carrying this show on his shoulders...

... and yet it feels like they undid his entire show. Din realized his way of life is totally unfit for raising a kid (much less a force-sensitive one) so the best option for Grogu is to give him up to a capable Jedi Knight... just for the baby to come back immediately. Like I dunno, I love the Mando/Baby interactions and was kinda hoping for them to get back together eventually, after some actual character development for both of them. Instead, Luke shoots a baby, unlocks traumatic memories in a baby, and demands a baby to make a permanent life-long career choice, so said baby promptly runs back to his nurturing father-figure.
What. The. Hug.

Top Bottom