The Book of Boba Fett

Fenix Twilight

Citizen
Story time, as a kid Boba Fett was cool with all his gadgets but then I got a comic "Twin Engines of Destruction" where Boba fights an impersonator Jodo Kast and it was the coolest thing seeing him fight and beat someone with the same armor as his, then my dad says "But he barely does anything in the movies" and that sort of snapped me out of it. But now with The Mandalorian and this series I get to see him in action.

It was a good episode,
I am a little more interested in the flashback portion and hope they continue, but I like Fennic so the present scenes are also good.

I also got a Harryhausen feel from that sand monster, very unsettling with how long it's torso was and then it goes down like a centaur but walked like a gorilla.

I couldn't help but think while Fennic was chasing the assassins, how long until we get an Assassin's Creed Star Wars game.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I loved that first episode. the flashbacks were great, and I'll echo my love of that sand monster!

Cybersnark

Citizen
It's pretty great to see such a well crafted show you don't even need dialog to know exactly what's happening.
That's what I noticed. Between the multiple characters wearing masks, speaking untranslated languages, or just naturally terse, this is a show that's going to require close attention to body language, shot framing, and subtext.

I think my favourite scene was that last scene in the Tusken camp, as the Kid was taking credit for killing the monster (and thus, earning his adulthood --note that he wasn't carrying a Gaderffii, which was mark of adulthood in the Legends continuity), the Chief seemed to be the only one who figured out that Fett was the one who actually did it --and didn't say anything, just quietly acknowledged him, one Elder to another. It raises some interesting details about Sandperson culture, or maybe about the Chief specifically (that he doesn't care whether or not this Rite of Passage was "legitimate").

I'm guessing the flashbacks will play an important role in explaining Fett's motives now (we know from The Mandalorian that he has his ship, and now he has his armour, so we need to know why he's still on Tatooine, and why he's so interested in becoming the new Daimyo (interesting use of the Japanese title, too).

I also love the subtle bit of worldbuilding; those water-gourds can't be too common; they probably only appear in specific places, which leads to a chicken-and-egg question; do the settlers scan for gourds and then build their moisture farms nearby (knowing that there's water around), or are the gourds encouraged by the byproducts of moisture-farming? Either way, the importance of those gourds guarantees conflict between the settlers and the native peoples (who must now fight for the same patches of land in order to survive).

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
Captions seem to agree.

As interesting as it is to see Tusken culture, I do hope we do eventually get more present day stuff going on eventually over the flashbacks.

Ultra Magnus13

Citizen
While I'm not liking this quite as much as the Mandalorian, it's still wonderful.

The Beast in episode one was all sorts of awesome. The narrative being split between the present and flash backs is nice.

I have a bad feeling about his Tusken friends. While they may be setting them up to deus ex machina him out of trouble later, I'm thinking it's far more likely that they end up getting killed and that is what spurs him to go after his armor.

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I'd have been pretty satisfied to just watch the entire tale of his flashback life with the Tuskans. Hopefully his 'current' story will flesh him out more and he can return to his bad ass roots instead of acting like a business administrator.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
I thought the lizard would be a babel fish type or something.

I have a feeling the droid will be back for revenge. Maybe.

Shadewing

Citizen
Yeah, like others I'm fully on board for the flashback stuff; the current day bits are kinda boring; but actually seeing Tuskan culture explored in live action media? I want more of that please. Exploring stuff we don't usually see, world building and fleshing out what's there.

electricidad

Citizen
After the first episode, I assumed our season's big bad was going to be Garsa Fwip, the Twilek bar owner played by Jennifer Beals. Secretly pulling everyone's strings and the like, with a name that sounds suspiciously like Spider-Man's webshooters.

Then the second episode wheels out two Hutts and a badass Wookie enforcer.

Two incredible episodes so far. The scenes with Boba and the Tuskens are particularly strong. I predict the Sand People will have Boba's back big time by the end of the season.

Confuzor

Koopaling Aficionado
Citizen
T
Ep 2 was great! I was grtting kind of sick of flashback stuff, preferring to stay in the current storyline, but by the end of it I was.fully invested.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I really like the flashbacks. I like how they are showing this tribe's culture and how he has become involved with them.

The present day stuff is the boring part to me.

Dvandom

Citizen
In the flashbacks, Boba is going through a "foundling" phase that he never experienced in Mandalorian culture. Total parallelism. He had very little raising before Jango bit it, being semi-feral with a few stints in Imperial training (as seen in Rebels) and otherwise mostly self-raising. He had very little experience with the sort of clan structure and extended family that Mandalorians enjoy to various extents (the fundies Din grew up with were more clannish than "reform" Mandos).

Thus, the Tusken clan is finally giving him the proper childhood and "coming of age" that he was denied. I don't expect him to return to how he was before, he's finally an adult now and he's figuring out what that means for him.

---Dave

Ironbite4

Citizen
Nobody wants to say anything about the haka to celebrate Boba being adopted into the tribe? Ok then

Cybersnark

Citizen
Nobody wants to say anything about the haka to celebrate Boba being adopted into the tribe? Ok then

I did notice that, but a haka is usually danced in ranks, I thought. This looked more like a Native American circle dance.

Confuzor

Koopaling Aficionado
Citizen
I'd much rather talk about that savage looking Wookiee. Holy crap that guy looked cool! Hopefuly he doesnt chump out like most really cool looking Star Wars antagonists tend to.

PiratedTVPro

Ancient Protoform
Citizen
Love the modern handling of the Tusken tribes. Similar to modern westerns' Native Americans compared to their flat handling in classic cinema.

I wish they were more implicent with how much time is passing in the flashbacks. How long was he in the Sarlaac? How time has passes since was he a prisoner of the Tusken tribe? How long until he was given weapons training? Just one day? More? He seems to have recovered from the Sarlacc relatively quickly, or are we supposed to believe he's still only at 50% here? Thus, the long Bacta sessions in the present?

Top Bottom