Titans Return Appreciation Thread

Darth_Prime

Citizen
I may never get a TR Misfire. Yikes. I put a high bid of $65.

Attachments

• 191FFD27-DBB6-496B-B306-13D95DC80FC0.jpeg
    191FFD27-DBB6-496B-B306-13D95DC80FC0.jpeg
    66.4 KB · Views: 57

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I think part of what still works about Titans Return is, yeah they're a little simpler and chunkier than the more intricate War for Cybertron toys that have come since, but that's how Headmasters toys were in their own context. 1987 toys did look simpler and chunkier than Diaclone and Microman based molds.

War for Cybertron only strengthened the homage of these toys.

Salt-Man Z

that is not dead which can eternal lie
Citizen
I've been out of the collecting biz since Armada, but my teenage son got a half dozen TR figures, and man I always have the most fun just swapping all the heads and guns around. Loved finding some cool-looking combos.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I've been out of the collecting biz since Armada, but my teenage son got a half dozen TR figures, and man I always have the most fun just swapping all the heads and guns around. Loved finding some cool-looking combos.
That is awesome! I am glad that you found your way back here!

Also, Titans Return is a great line to come back to TFs for!

Bass X0

Citizen
I doubt I would have appreciated Titans Return that much if the "unified" Hasbro/Takara mandate had been in place then. I mainly purchased Takara releases of the Titans Return molds because IMO Hasbro screwed up some of the color schemes and heads. The Takara toys looked so much better and more accurate to how the toys and characters should look. The toys were good, but most were lacking in paint.

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
I got the Takara Blurr because the brighter colors were different from the Hasbro version and Takara Doublecross because Haywire, but otherwise I was pretty happy with the Hasbro versions.

I do wish we had gotten a stateside release of the Takara Targetmasters, but the PotP Battlemasters somewhat made up for that.

LordGigaIce

words pain, funny man
Citizen
TR remains my favourite line in recent memory. In part because it was the first toyline since Armada to get me really into the play pattern.
Like we all talk occasionally like this hobby "made me feel like a kid again" but TR was the only line to really do that. I was really into the play pattern, the fiction, the whole thing.

Blot

Citizen
I doubt I would have appreciated Titans Return that much if the "unified" Hasbro/Takara mandate had been in place then. I mainly purchased Takara releases of the Titans Return molds because IMO Hasbro screwed up some of the color schemes and heads. The Takara toys looked so much better and more accurate to how the toys and characters should look. The toys were good, but most were lacking in paint.
The stickers alone were enough to drive me to importing.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
I honestly feel that some of the Retro Headmasters versions had the best decos, even better than the Legends versions. Hardhead, especially, being stone gray instead of poop brown.

G.B.Blackrock

Citizen
I got the Takara Blurr because the brighter colors were different from the Hasbro version and Takara Doublecross because Haywire, but otherwise I was pretty happy with the Hasbro versions.

I do wish we had gotten a stateside release of the Takara Targetmasters, but the PotP Battlemasters somewhat made up for that.
Usually, I was all for Hasbro "toy-centric" approach to colors vs. Takara's "cartoon-centric" approach, but in the case of Blurr, even I thought Takara's was better.

(And, yes, I wish we'd gotten Takara's Targetmaster molds, too)

Haywire

Citizen
I thought the Hasbro version actually pulled its color palette more from the darker Targetmaster Blurr, which was alright with me. I almost didnt get the Takara version, but Im glad I did. Its a very striking scheme on that mold!

G.B.Blackrock

Citizen
I thought the Hasbro version actually pulled its color palette more from the darker Targetmaster Blurr, which was alright with me. I almost didnt get the Takara version, but Im glad I did. Its a very striking scheme on that mold!
I kid you not, this was the first I've ever heard it said that Targetmaster Blurr had any color differences from the original Blurr. I was only aware of the retooling. The TFWiki totally backs some of this up, though, at least in regard to the paint applications on the shield and fronts of the pontoons. His face looks to use that darker blue, too, although TFWiki seems not to mention it.

Haywire

Citizen
I only know it because I replaced some broken parts on my original Targetmaster Blurr with a regular Blurr, and they stand out because they are so much brighter. TR Blurr is still darker, but I definitely think that the scheme originates with the Targetmaster version.
20211221_180255.jpg
20211221_180233.jpg

There has been a bit of yellowing on mine, but he always leaned more towards green compared to the original blue.

Last edited:

Top Bottom