Netflix Live Action Cowboy Bebop Series

mx-01 archon

Citizen
I'm four episodes in now, and I think it's fine. It certainly won't set the world on fire and be a revolutionary rallying point as its namesake, but it's inoffensive. It remixes things just enough to be familiar while still having some new things to show long-term fans of the series, but ultimately like most live-action anime adaptations (American or Japanese), I think the target audience is more towards newcomers and laymen.

There's sort of a tongue-in-cheek hokeyness that I do think works for the series, although that's the aspect that I think might be most polarizing. But there's no way live action can capture the exaggerated, frenetic action of the animation, so the series did need another form of "pep" to stand in for that energy, and so it sort of leans into the retro funk angle that the anime itself maintained in its more lighthearted episodes.

I'm not really sure what I think of this incarnation of Vicious. He's very different from his anime counterpart, but so far I think it works. He's not nearly as menacing (at least, not early on. Maybe moreso later on when he starts ramping up his agenda?), but his expanded role in the series wouldn't have been carried well by his original stoic personality.

One other contentious point is the style of the scriptwork. In the anime, Spike muses to himself often in a very moody, poetic way. Live-action Spike is much more straightforward. While I do miss that aspect of his character, it sort of ties into the mystery of his character, and in how the anime's full story had to be pieced together through context clues. So I'd say that the live-action version does feel slightly dumbed down in that way, but rather than a fault of the production, I think it's more of a concession to the audience. American audiences in general aren't very receptive to that type of cryptic theatricality. Same reason why Blade Runner will always only be a cult classic and not a mainstream success story.

Thefakelink

Citizen
7 episodes in. Definitely has some low points but overall it’s watchable. It’s certainly not the dumpster fire that some reviewers are claiming. One thing that i found distracting is there are some scenes where the setting doesn’t match the aesthetic of the series. Specifically the house and construction site, and to a lesser extent the bounty claims office. At least there the lighting and shadow gave it a grimy feel, but the other two scenes looked like the characters just walked into a modern setting. I suppose it could be explained away by saying that those scenes took place in more affluent areas but it still feels like those scenes are disconnected from the rest of the series.

Telly

Sack of monkeys in my pocket
Citizen
i dont know why, but i keep waiting for vicious to go all kylo ren and throw a fit at some point

up through episode 4 so far, and its ok. i was never really wowed by the anime though either. one thing im iffy on is the music. it feels to me like its all over the place. obviously thats kind of the point for this series, but the live action music is just...there. some of it doesnt seem to fit what its being played over. its like they had kanno compose a bunch of stuff and they just threw it where they wanted to

Rust

Slightly Off
Citizen
Been watching it with my wife. She loves it and is going through the series again. For myself, I've caught a few episodes here and there.

Spike, Faye, and Jet are spot on in their personas and performances. Jet especially is great.

A few scenes have some aggressively stinted dialogue, like they filmed a cold reading and not the final bit.
There's some actors who probably should have been told not to so aggressively chew the scenery, but by and large it feels like everyone was having fun, which is important.
Ed turning up in the final bit was a nice treat, and they cast her perfectly but also showcases why she was at the END of the season. Because man is her character a bit too "anime" for live action.

In the end, it's a fun show.

Rust

Slightly Off
Citizen
Episode 7 is my personal favorite. Good twist on the anime story it's inspired by, and a wildly entertaining romp on it's own.

Telly

Sack of monkeys in my pocket
Citizen
Just got done watching it. Id give it a "b". Wouldnt mind a second season. But for gods sake PLEASE tone down ed. Otherwise she is going to be soooo annoying

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
Watched the whole thing, and enjoyed it a lot. It does hit its stride more eps in. To be fair though, I'm only vaguely familiar with the anime. I think I saw the movie years ago? I love the main cast. Poor Jet needs to catch a break.
Faye's mom... wow. XD I did enjoy the twist at the end with Julia taking over. And yes, pls tone Ed down.

Stepwise

Not Crew.
Citizen
I'm only a couple episodes in - things got busy, but I liked what I'd seen so far.

It is sad that the response is "nope" instead of "let's keep trying," especially after all the work that went into this series.

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
Truthfully I never did see this getting more than a season before it launched. That's kinda why it's sad that Ed doesn't hit until near the end. Which I still need to get going with. I've only watched the first two episodes. I've had so much to watch lately Bebop took a back seat to me finishing it. Though it is odd that they are saying it didn't grab enough viewers. Watching Dan Murrel's youtube show he had it cracking the top ten this last week globally coming in at 6th. Were they expecting it to be the top dog or something?

Powered Convoy

Randy
Citizen
Truthfully I never did see this getting more than a season before it launched. That's kinda why it's sad that Ed doesn't hit until near the end. Which I still need to get going with. I've only watched the first two episodes. I've had so much to watch lately Bebop took a back seat to me finishing it. Though it is odd that they are saying it didn't grab enough viewers. Watching Dan Murrel's youtube show he had it cracking the top ten this last week globally coming in at 6th. Were they expecting it to be the top dog or something?
Apparently it's based on viewership in the weeks that followed (according to the article above).

The drop off the second or third week was too significant.

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Apparently it's based on viewership in the weeks that followed (according to the article above).

The drop off the second or third week was too significant.
This is just my guess, but more than that it probably got that first week bump from people who watched the first episode and didn't follow up with subsequent episodes after the first couple they might have watched. That would be a good indicator as to why the following weeks were so low compared to the first.

Top Bottom