Traitor Watch - The 45 Thread

Rust

Slightly Off
Citizen
As a kid, I didn't think about the pledge at all. It was just a morning ritual. I said the words, but the meaning never sunk into my brain any deeper than rote memorization.
As an adult, I vehemently refuse to ever say such a thing. Not only do I find it repugnant in the way I find all displays of open Nationalism repugnant (That's right, I've become a dirty Globalist), the words it contains are a violation of my religious beliefs (And no, putting "Under God" into it doesn't make it suddenly okay).

Guardian Prime

Veteran Allsparker
Citizen
For me, I remember the pledge ritual only being said in the 1st grade back in the early 80's. After that, none of my teachers made us say it. Even then, I didn't like saying it. I made the mouth movements, but I refused to let the words come out of my mouth.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I just hate the anthem because I will forever associate it with the agonizing monotone way kids recite anything. It's burned into my ears.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Actually this brings up a good question: Does any other non-fascist country even have a pledge of allegiance, or have we found yet another way that the US is uniquely awful?

abates

unfortunate shark issues
Citizen
New Zealand has an Oath of Allegiance which goes "I, insert name here, swear that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second, Her heirs and successors, according to law. So help me God." (src)

Admittedly I had to look this up and I don't recall ever actually uttering it out loud. A modified version of it is used as part of our citizenship oath though.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
Canada also has an oath of citizenship, which you say before the judge when you become a citizen: but otherwise there's nothing like the pledge in our schools, courts, or echelons of power.

abates

unfortunate shark issues
Citizen
It looks like the Canadian one is pretty much the same as the NZ one, as both countries just reused the UK version.

I actually prefer the US version - at least you're pledging allegiance to a country and not a small group of people which currently includes one alleged sex criminal.

Kup

Citizen
Knowing that we're the only country with a daily cult indoctrination, I mean pledge of allegiance, makes me even more irritated that its a thing in the first place. Wish there was a way to stand up to it, but I live in WAY too conservative of an area to make that kind of ruckus once our kids go back to public school in the fall.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
That's actually a crime. The dude either needs to register as a foreign agent, or come back: because it's illegal for private citizens to represent or retain representatives for the US government.

Rust

Slightly Off
Citizen
He's stressed in press conferences he's not there in any official capacity and there as merely a private citizen.

But it's more the fact Trump sent a poor bastard out to the pointy end without any kind of official protection - or assets. Wonder how much treasury of his followers this little publicity stunt cost him?

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
I'd worry more about the near-certainty that he's being sent away because he has extremely important information relevant to the January 6 investigation and Trump doesn't want him getting subpoenaed. Anyone know what Kosovo's extradition policy is like?

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Yeah, the biden DOJ is working very hard to maintain the double standard when it comes to republicans, so... what IS kosovo's extradition policy? Might be the only way to get him to appear before the court if subpoenaed.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Apparently he's still getting visitors at Mar-a-Lago. This happened yesterday.

Kukkiwon announced on the 20th that it had awarded the honorary 9th Dan certificate of Taekwondo to former US President Donald Trump. According to the Kukkiwon, Director Lee Dong-seop visited the Mar-a-Lago resort in Palm Beach, Florida, USA, the villa of former President Trump, at 4 pm local time on the 19th local time, and awarded the 9th Dan certificate and presented Taekwondo uniforms.

President Lee said, "I know that former President Trump has a special affection for Taekwondo. We ask for your continued interest and cooperation in Taekwondo and Kukkiwon."

In response, former President Trump said, "I am very special and honored to receive the honorary Dan certificate. Taekwondo is a great martial art to protect oneself at a time like this."

Somehow his quote was run through translation twice and it still sounds like him.

Wheelimus

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Now the big question - which old liberal steps up to fight Trump in a Taekwondo showdown?

abates

unfortunate shark issues
Citizen
Adding "Taekwondo Grand Master" to the list of ranks which are now meaningless.

Sorry, you trained all your life to be good enough at Taekwondo to gain the highest rank? It doesn't mean anything since any idiot can get it awarded to them.

Top Bottom