Timey Wimey Business- a thread for Doctor Who

electricidad

Citizen
Solid episode. Without spoiling anything, the Doctor relives an event from her life. Her new companions are divided into their own pasts (or potential futures) as the Doctor sorts things out. The Weeping Angels show up (and we kind of knew they'd be a thing, based on the season premier), leading to a pretty shocking cliffhanger.

This one was a bit harder to follow. The first two episodes of the season were straightforward adventures, while this one requires the viewer to be super engaged. If I was a casual viewer of the show, I'd probably be a bit put off. As I'm a fan, I'm in.

Rust

Slightly Off
Citizen
The biggest problem I have overall is doubling down on these "Missing incarnations" aspect of the Doctor and making it so Hartnell wasn't the first incarnation to steal the TARDIS.

That said, as with John Hurt's War Doctor before her, Jo Martin manages to so perfectly nail the vibe of the Doctor I'm willing to accept a "Fugitive Doctor" incarnation. I wonder if they realize stepping into the middle of such a hierarchy and throwing it out of whack they have to bring their A game. Of course, Jo also has the advantage of being the Hartnell/Pertwee/Colin/Eccelston to Jodie's Troughton/Tom/McCoy in terms of overall "energy".

EDIT:
So, Weeping Angels can in fact control TARDISes. While I know it's just a set up for the next adventure, the implications to this revelation are kind of important. Since not a lot of things in the universe should know how to pilot a TARDIS.

Last edited:

electricidad

Citizen
The biggest problem I have overall is doubling down on these "Missing incarnations" aspect of the Doctor and making it so Hartnell wasn't the first incarnation to steal the TARDIS.

That said, as with John Hurt's War Doctor before her, Jo Martin manages to so perfectly nail the vibe of the Doctor I'm willing to accept a "Fugitive Doctor" incarnation. I wonder if they realize stepping into the middle of such a hierarchy and throwing it out of whack they have to bring their A game. Of course, Jo also has the advantage of being the Hartnell/Pertwee/Colin/Eccelston to Jodie's Troughton/Tom/McCoy in terms of overall "energy".

EDIT:
So, Weeping Angels can in fact control TARDISes. While I know it's just a set up for the next adventure, the implications to this revelation are kind of important. Since not a lot of things in the universe should know how to pilot a TARDIS.
I wonder what the Weeping Angels' objective is.

Did the Flux disrupt their feeding? Could they be starving? They thrive on the psychic energy of moving people out of their lives/time, and the pain and anguish that goes with that. The Flux did something to screw that up, maybe? But what good would a Tardis do the Angels? I assumed they had the ability to travel across space and time on their own, but maybe they don't? Or maybe they need the Doctor's help?

Rust

Slightly Off
Citizen
There's some speculation that the Angels might be victims of the Time War, specifically Time Lords that were cast adrift in the Time Vortex. Maybe a backdoor way of restoring Gallifrey...again?

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
Solid episode. Without spoiling anything, the Doctor relives an event from her life. Her new companions are divided into their own pasts (or potential futures) as the Doctor sorts things out. The Weeping Angels show up (and we kind of knew they'd be a thing, based on the season premier), leading to a pretty shocking cliffhanger.

This one was a bit harder to follow. The first two episodes of the season were straightforward adventures, while this one requires the viewer to be super engaged. If I was a casual viewer of the show, I'd probably be a bit put off. As I'm a fan, I'm in.
I really didn't like this episode, due to the convoluted plot, poor writing and amateur CGI. I had no idea what was going on in the first half of this ep and even after a break and after watching the second half of it the next day, I really didn't like it. The inclusion of the Daleks, Cybermen and Weeping Angels just felt like padding/fluff and at one point, I thought the Daleks were on Earth, rather than on another planet. The large amounts of exposition by the Doctor seemed excessive, even by Who standards and it all seemed like 10lbs of sh*t stuffed into a 5lb bag...

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
So, I think this week's episode is probably my favorite so far, or at least it's up there with War of the Sontarans. I thought it was really goddamn intense and I loved how they actually managed to make the Weeping Angels scary again. Also gotta give some props to the BBC for not spoiling the cliffhanger in any trailers because it metaphorically made me go 'holy shit' when it happened.

I've seen some theories that the Doctor's transformation into a Weeping Angel was just done as a way to transport her to the Division. Personally, I hope that isn't the case because that would sort of deflate the 'holy shit' that came out of the cliffhanger. Obviously the Doctor is going to get turned back to normal, but I think that having how that's going to happen being an actual part of the plot would be much more interesting than just going 'Ok we brought the Doctor to the Division, change her back to normal now'.

And hey, based on the fact that the only shot of the Doctor during the trailer for the next episode is her as a Weeping Angel, maybe she does stay one during the entirety (or most) of episode 5 and it's a Doctor-lite episode?

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
So, I think this week's episode is probably my favorite so far, or at least it's up there with War of the Sontarans. I thought it was really goddamn intense and I loved how they actually managed to make the Weeping Angels scary again. Also gotta give some props to the BBC for not spoiling the cliffhanger in any trailers because it metaphorically made me go 'holy shit' when it happened.

I've seen some theories that the Doctor's transformation into a Weeping Angel was just done as a way to transport her to the Division. Personally, I hope that isn't the case because that would sort of deflate the 'holy shit' that came out of the cliffhanger. Obviously the Doctor is going to get turned back to normal, but I think that having how that's going to happen being an actual part of the plot would be much more interesting than just going 'Ok we brought the Doctor to the Division, change her back to normal now'.

And hey, based on the fact that the only shot of the Doctor during the trailer for the next episode is her as a Weeping Angel, maybe she does stay one during the entirety (or most) of episode 5 and it's a Doctor-lite episode?
And I salute you for not giving away anything that would make River Soong irritated too!

electricidad

Citizen
This season has done well at ending episodes on cliffhangers that I'm not quite sure how the Doctor will escape.

I agree with everything Princess Viola said. Definite horror movie vibes throughout. It's been years since the Angels have been this scary.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
I do wonder
if they are setting up the Division as a replacement for the Time Lords they fridged previously. A more general one, but the whole "on the run" and "you have been recalled" thing very much reminds me of how the Classic Time Lords acted in respect to the Doctor. A way to get back to the usual status quo before handing off to RTD, just with different names and faces.

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Well I watched Episode 4 (skipped 3) and I thought it was a pretty good episode. Good pacing, good supporting actors and a pretty solid (and spooky) story with a pretty awesome cliff hanger.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
"A Tory MP has linked young men turning to crime to women playing traditionally male roles in TV and film. Nick Fletcher said "female replacements" in shows like Doctor Who were robbing boys of good role models. The only characters they had to look up to were gangsters the Krays and Tommy Shelby from Peaky Blinders, he said. "Is there any wonder we are seeing so many young men committing crime?," he asked MPs taking part in a debate on International Men's Day..."
(Source: - https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-59421259 )

For those outside the UK, the "Tory" or "Conservative" political party, is perhaps the (loose) British equivalent of the American "Republican" party.

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I remember the moment Jodie Whittaker became the Doctor, all the episodes of all the previous male Doctors just vanished into thin air.

I saw my DVDs turn to dust in front of my eyes.
WIth the Timeless Child garbage they might as well have.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
Imagine caring about the canon in Doctor Who.

I don't even mean that in a dismissive way, just in a 'with all the other shit that they've retconned, ignored, etc. over the years (look me in the face and tell me the first two Doctors weren't written with the view that they were just humans from another planet before they introduced the Time Lords, for example), I genuinely cannot bring myself to care if something new contradicts the "lore" of the series at all' way.

Glitch

Citizen
Before long the Cybermen will be called Cyberpersons.

Why do people even believe the timeless child stuff? it's all been filled in from the villains.

Rust

Slightly Off
Citizen
The entire McCoy era was "The Doctor wasn't who they claimed to be" plots.

At least with the Timeless Child stuff, the fact the Doctor's just as in the dark as the viewer makes for a bit more compelling viewing. The Smith era and the 50th introduced the idea of previously unknown incarnations, just as it also opened the door (and Capaldi era widened it) that the Doctor has a bit more conscious/subconscious decision making when it comes to their regeneration and can even "revisit" previous looks. So it kind of throws our "dating" process of the Doctor off because who is to say McCoy from the 8th Doctor film is actually the seventh incarnation or if a indeterminate amount of time and incarnations had passed.

My biggest grumble is how Gallifrey and the Time Lords keep coming back but then totally dying off again. They're getting as bad as the Daleks.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
Honestly, Chibnall getting rid of Gallifrey and the Time Lords again is what really annoys me about this era of the show, more so than any number of 'unknown incarnations' of the Doctor ever could.

It's basically like he was going 'Hey remember the 50th? Remember how the climax of that story was all the Doctors coming together to save Gallifrey and the Time Lords? Yeah, well they're ******* dead again so that story was ultimately meaningless.'

But you know what, I'll be fair to Chibnall. His era isn't over yet, still got a couple episodes of Flux left and then the three specials next year. Maybe something in Flux will result in Gallifrey coming back again (which I'll admit would feel like a copout 'Gallifrey is gone, no it isn't, HAHA yes it is, it's back again') or he'll reveal that some Time Lords managed to escape the Master destroying Gallifrey and they've settled on a new planet that they're calling Gallifrey 2 or something.

Top Bottom