Titans Return Appreciation Thread

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I'll repeat what I said before the hack.

It's always an exciting day when whatever convention unveils the first wave of the new line, and we get to analyze analyze every photo of the display case for everything we can learn. Sometimes a closeup of one toy gives you a precious glimpse of an otherwise unseen angle of another toy in the background. You know how that day goes.

Siege wave 1 might be the most exciting one for me in recent memory, because it seemed like such a gigantic leap forward. Everyone has ankle tilts, all the limbs look solid, and if I look closely I swear it looks like Ultra Magnus has an inner robot. That was a day.

To the point of the thread, our first good look at Titans Return can't be less than second place. Everything looked like so much fun. It looked like the most stuff to do in one box since Armada with its Minicon partners. And it all looked a little different. It was a huge breath of fresh air after Combiner Wars had gotten so samey.

Notomus

Unofficial Pope of Devconism
Citizen
I'll repeat what I said before the hack.

It's always an exciting day when whatever convention unveils the first wave of the new line, and we get to analyze analyze every photo of the display case for everything we can learn. Sometimes a closeup of one toy gives you a precious glimpse of an otherwise unseen angle of another toy in the background. You know how that day goes.

Siege wave 1 might be the most exciting one for me in recent memory, because it seemed like such a gigantic leap forward. Everyone has ankle tilts, all the limbs look solid, and if I look closely I swear it looks like Ultra Magnus has an inner robot. That was a day.

To the point of the thread, our first good look at Titans Return can't be less than second place. Everything looked like so much fun. It looked like the most stuff to do in one box since Armada with its Minicon partners. And it all looked a little different. It was a huge breath of fresh air after Combiner Wars had gotten so samey.
I didn't catch the Titans Return reveal but I do remember in Power of the Primes how I spent a solid 5-10 minutes trying to determine if Jazz could combine or not.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I spent most of the Power of the Primes reveal trying to figure out why Rodimus Prime's backpack was so huge and whether Optimus Prime's truck mode was mistransformed or not.

There was nothing like that with Titans Return. The designs seemed totally refined. The beasts especially surprised me. Skullcruncher's beast mode neck makes so much difference. I don't think we'd seen such a lively beast mode since Beast Machines.

wreckgar39

Citizen
Titans Return had a lot of fun molds.
Battletrap was the best combiner from all of PWT.
CW Menasor hurts to look at, but at least he isn't PCC Double Clutch with Rallybots.

Sciflyer

Two arms and one smile
Citizen
Such a great line with so many outstanding toys. Although we got a new Blurr in the SS86 line, LG Blurr remains my favorite modern version. He and Chromedome have never left my display, and they still get played with almost weekly.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Such a great line with so many outstanding toys. Although we got a new Blurr in the SS86 line, LG Blurr remains my favorite modern version. He and Chromedome have never left my display, and they still get played with almost weekly.
So... you play with them in your display. :p

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Titans Return finally conclusively slammed the door on the vehicles only era. Blaster can just be a boom box. Perceptor can just be a microscope. Galvatron can just be Galvatron. I'll forever love it for that.

I'm not saying for example that Perceptor needs to be a microscope forever and ever, but I do feel that we lose something if nobody can be a microscope. We have enough cars and trucks.

Darth_Prime

Citizen
I actually just put the deluxe figures out for display. Only thing I realized is I didn’t get Misfire and he’s hard to find now a days.

F437800D-2444-4B5B-ADE7-FDAC1A10C33C.jpeg

Maruten

Citizen
Before TR, Transformers were a thing I unboxed, took some photos of, and dumped in a box - often without ever transforming them once.

Then I got the first wave of TR. The play pattern of "you bought a dude and you got a second tiny dude and maybe a base" just worked for me so hard. For the first time since I was a kid in the 80s, I just sat and... handled... these guys for hours on end, day after day for weeks. I loved them all. I loved the simple but fun transformations. The TR Blurr mold is one of my favourite TFs of all time.

Just wish there was more dedicated fiction, along the lines of that one promo comic or whatever it was.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Imagine if we'd gotten Armada bots in Titans Return. Generations is always going to struggle to capture the charm of Armada toys, but Titans Return might have come really close.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I do have a minor disappointment with Titans Return.

If I'd been in charge, the little Titanmaster vehicles definitely would have formed a secret combiner. The pricepoint was still a good idea as is. It solved the "What if kids lose the head?" problem, which Titans return definitely deserves credit for. But I would have done that extra bit.

roborobspringer

Citizen
I loved Titans Return, mostly so for the Titan Masters than anything else. I loved the silly little cars and stuff driven by tiny little robots. I was pretty sad when it was over, thankfully I was pretty fond of Primemasters.

Pirate Lion

Citizen
There were some really inspired ideas; base modes, all the disparate tiny titanmasters, be they headmasters, shrunken bots, reimaginings or homages! It’s so easy to get lost in playing with them as little castles. Just got a Blaster, so good!

Legends minibots with cockpits for titanmasters, like, what? Trypticon with a belly full of heads!

Attachments

• 507FE451-3459-4DA6-B131-BF46FA871104.jpeg
    507FE451-3459-4DA6-B131-BF46FA871104.jpeg
    86.7 KB · Views: 62

Top Bottom