Timey Wimey Business- a thread for Doctor Who

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
So I saw this news, and I have to admit, I am very happy to see him coming back. I honestly loved 95% of his run as show runner and I hope that he can make the show a bit more exciting again.

Thought this must be a joke when I first saw it. How bizarre.

I don't have anything against RTD really, we owe him a lot. But as neo-Who goes, he gave me my least favourite era and my least favourite Doctors so other than novelty and a pleasing recognition of prior service, I don't personally see anything terribly appealing here.

Oh well! Who should we get for the role?

Judi Dench
Tony Head
Olivia Coleman
Charles Dance
Greg Davies
Bob Mortimer
Tom Hardy
David Mitchell
Thandiwe Newton
Lena Headey
Liam Cunningham
Anyone else from... Masters of the Universe
James McAvoy
Peppa Pig

I would love to see Charles Dance as the doctor.

Echowarrior

Citizen
I'm not nearly as quick to condemn Chibnall as most...but I don't feel bad about him going in the slightest. Even before he was showrunner, the man rubbed me the wrong way as a storyteller. Sad to see Jodie go, however.

RTD's return is something of a surprise, though not an unwelcome one. I have my issues with his time on the show, but they're tiny compared to my issues with Chibnall.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
Not happening, after the "specials" she is leaving so that would wipe the slate clean for Davis to try and salvage this mess, if he can, because its plainly obvious that the series has nosed dived hard under Chibnall and people are abandoning the BBC because they no longer reflect the British public and have leaned to far to one side of the isle, besides, the BBC license fee is more viewed as a tax at times and its been going up and up and currently stands far higher than the cost of most streaming serivces!

I disagree. Although the writing wasn't great (but then again, most Doctor Who writing has seemed inconsistent and at times incomprehensible to me), having a female doctor was no problem for me, nor many members of the public, from what I've read.

It seemed to me a very small, but vocal right-wing/conservative slice of the fandom had a problem with it but that was all. As for other "leftist agendas" well, Doctor Who (and its spinoffs, like "Class", "Torchwood", etc) have always had political/social commentary in them (especially Torchwood, with sexuality a fave topic).

Rust

Slightly Off
Citizen
My problem with Jodie's run was she was burdened with far, far too many companions and lacked the space to be her own character. And when the spotlight finally got to fall on her, the story decided that nothing we knew about the Doctor was ever true.

I don't really blame her for leaving, since she was never given an oppertunity to play the role she auditioned for.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
So the last episode I saw was the one where two of her companions left, and it was just her and Yaz. Have I missed anything? I keep seeing this new guy in all these trailers, and I feel that i must have missed something.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
So the last episode I saw was the one where two of her companions left, and it was just her and Yaz. Have I missed anything? I keep seeing this new guy in all these trailers, and I feel that i must have missed something.

Nope, you not missed anything, the new guy is going to be entering the Tradis with this coming disaster series and likely to simply be there so they can make fun of white men or something!

The Doctor Who

Now With Sheffield Steel!
Citizen
Hearing that RTD was coming back filled me with an initial dread that can only come from having seen Love and Monsters.

Then I realized that I would actually take that over the unsalted soup cracker stories Chibnall was responsible for.

Will miss Jodie though.

My big concern moving forward is potential overcorrection. That the next Doctor will be just a Ten or Eleven redo and they won't be willing to try stepping outside the White Male confines again. I adored Jodie and really want them to try and bring more new perspectives to the Doctor as they can, but this wasn't a run to bring much inspiration.

Rust

Slightly Off
Citizen
Honestly, as time's gone on the only major issues I have with Love and Monsters are the Scooby Doo opening homage, and the...implication...at the end. That joke was a bridge too far.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
Something that kind of was on my mind with the return of Davis as the showrunner, aside from the BBC wanting to try and right the sinking ship, do they think saying that he is returning is an attempt to boost the ratings of the last few eps of Jode time as the Doctor in preperation for his return and whoever becomes the Doctor, I got nothing against Jode personally, its just that all of the eps I seen of her as the Doctor, haven't exactly been thrilling, it feels a lot like lazy writing with little meaning to it.

The Doctor Who

Citizen
Honestly, as time's gone on the only major issues I have with Love and Monsters are the Scooby Doo opening homage, and the...implication...at the end. That joke was a bridge too far.
It's not the worst thing ever, for sure. But that ending and the monster itself just leave such a bad taste in the mouth. I like the idea of episodes in which the Doctor doesn't play a huge role and we get to see what happens when he's not around, but man did it come with a heavy price tag XD

Really, I'm kind of looking forward to RTD coming back. It's been a while since I've watched that era, but my recollection is that he was really good at keeping individual episodes entertaining, while mixing in larger plot threads without dragging everything to a standstill. The payoffs weren't always great (thinking of the whole Sound of Drums/Last of the Time Lords thing in particular), but he did pretty well at keeping things interesting.

electricidad

Citizen
I'm not going to dunk on the monster itself, seeing as how it was designed by a literal child.
I remember seeing something about how a kid won a contest to design a monster, and when the episode came out, the contest winner was even bummed by how the design came across. Like, the kid designed a monster the size of a bus, but the show depicted a large dude. Am I mis-remembering this?

The Doctor Who

Citizen
Like, conceptualized by a kid or not it had to pass through a number of adult hands before being manifest as... What we got. And, like, someone had to tell the performer to do what he did.

Look, it's still awful. Sure, it has a vague excuse for it, but that doesn't stop it from being... That XD

Top Bottom