Mayhem Transformers Discussion: United We Shelfwarm

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
Eh, maybe after Hascon. Just wondering if my existing preorder is still good or if I'll have to cancel it and reorder.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
I found the reissue BW Megatron at Walmart today.

I bought him because he honestly seems more fun than the Kingdom version + I honestly don't trust the rubberized plastic on the Kingdom version to last.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I would have gotten Kingdom Megatron if not for the rubber. It'll either disintegrate or melt the surrounding plastic, and they don't care.

Copper Bezel

Revenge against God for the crime of Being.
Citizen
T30 Rattrap and Rhinox are seven years old now and I don't see any change in their rubber.

Copper Bezel

Citizen
Gotcha. That is a different rubber, though, since it's clear. I think it's actually a kind of PVC?

unluckiness

Now with pinchy claw action!
Citizen
Kingdom Megs' beast parts feel different than the effect parts. While they are soft plastic, they generally hold their shape far better and are noticeably stiffer. Not exactly the most scientific but while it is a softer plastic, it definitely doesn't feel like the bendy bits from past toys or the effect parts.

unluckiness

Citizen
Prime Arcee has 2 major characteristic design cues: wings and wheels in her calves. The Legacy toy has neither but at least they gave her a weed whacker lol

The funny thing is that it's still a hundred times better than Earthrise Arcee

unluckiness

Citizen
Just Laser Prime for me. Maybe Dragstrip, I want to see Menasor first. Cartoon menasor is a fat pass

The Mighty Mollusk

Citizen
Menasor is probably the dullest of the G1 five-bot combiners. Between that and burnout from Combiner Wars, it'd have to be really, really impressive to get a second glance.

unluckiness

Citizen
Dunno, Superion always struck me as the least interesting. At least i can tell the stunticons apart.

Copper Bezel

Citizen
I saw Bulkhead first, and my immediate mental response was something like "Excuse me?" and I wanted to speak to the manager of Hasbro. Skids looks weirdly like a Cyberverse toy, but decently executed enough within parameters that don't seem to apply to the rest of the line. So when the reveals came along for the others, I was relieved at least that the line hadn't been dumbed down completely and the other figures looked like they'd been designed by someone who'd designed a Transformers toy before. And even Bulkhead does at least look like, well, something I can see someone having plausibly designed with an idea in mind after seeing the side view and that his torso is a cube rather than just a square.

But yeah. Arcee's proportions are all wrong and she looks weird with a nose, but those things will be fine in the Flamewar deco, it doesn't make her an inherently worse toy. They clearly tried, they even gave her the pink trim, but it's a miss for the character, still probably an okay toy, really sexy looking bike. Prime is rocking another version of the Siege legs so I feel like we know what to expect by now, and I have to admit I've never liked the Laser Prime deco, but while he looks a little drab, it's accurate and he doesn't have anything obviously wrong with him.

Drag Strip and Kickback are both very ordinary, like, they could have been from any line, and Drag Strip's spacey alt mode gives me a mix of hope and confusion while Kickback's alt mode is a dude on his stomach. Neither is exactly striking.

So I feel like this wave doesn't really tell me what to expect from the rest of the line and whether to be optimistic or not, because the figures don't actually have an awful lot of design or theme in common. I know that the only one I would actually want is the Flamewar redeco of Arcee that's probably coming since it's featured in IDW2.

So I'm actually back where I started, that the most interesting thing in this reveal is railing about why Bulkhead is a hollow Universe Inferno and what did they ******* do to my beautiful round boy. Because it's a goddamn crime. The length of his legs feels like a cruel joke.

The Mighty Mollusk

Citizen
Prime will probably look better as Scourge, because gunmetal and black with teal trim and pink eyes looks good on almost any mold, but I already have LG-EX Black Convoy for that, so it's a toss-up between having a trailer I'll never use taking up space in a drawer, or a redundant jet mode that doesn't add much to the toy except for make it more annoying to fit the truck together.

Noideaforaname

Stone and Sky
Citizen
What struck me is everyone has had a toy in the last decade, but its the characters from a show that'd have offered some relief from the constant G1 rehashing that causes people (even the toy designers!) to wag their finger and scold me for not having the old figure.

Kingdom gave me some hope we'd moved past this G1-centrism, even if it meant sacrificing the Movie line for a little while, but I guess not. I mean we've barely seen anything but still, what a spectacularly uninteresting reveal.

Copper Bezel

Citizen
Huh? What conversation did this come out of? I know you're responding to people who aren't here, but I don't know what they said.

As for G1-centrism, this isn't that different a mix from the Kingdom lineup. Two normal G1 guys, one G1 guy with a Sieged up alt mode, one G2 guy, and two Prime guys. Kingdom was like majority G1, strong minority BW, a few bones.

unluckiness

Citizen
Plus the centerpiece figure is Cybertron from the looks of things. AEC is still pretty much G1 with minicon posts but it's the thought that counts

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
Throwing my 2-cents in, it seems like most of these reveals make me excited for potential redecos: Flamewar from Arcee, Scourge from Laser Prime, maybe Venom or Ransack from Kickback. I like the alt mode on Bulkhead, but not the execution AS Bulkhead. Also wondering what the new Core-class offerings will look like. The Kingdom Core figs have been really promising.

Top Bottom