Transformers Legacy toyline

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I really don't like either one. Skids looks stumpier than I'd like. I like how the G1 toy's robot mode is way taller than it seems like it should be with its tiny car mode. It especially stands out because so many G1 cars have way shorter robot modes than you'd expect. This Skids really doesn't capture that at all.

Bulkhead... is a thing.

On the bright side, both have accessories galore. They should be fun to handle.

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
Yup.

-ZacWilliam, kinda wish I hadn't thought of remolding him into Heatwave cause that's now all I want...

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
Bulkhead is a easy pass, its clear that the mold has another character in mind, a Optimus prime retool? Skids, I'll likely get, he looks like he stepped out of the old Marvel comics

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
I like Bullhead, but I'm worried he'll be too small...

I wonder if someone will make a G1-styled, bearded bot head with a cygar and make a custom "Hound" instead?

Skidz looks ok, but as mentioned before, the (seemingly increased) lack of filled-in and painted parts (hubcaps, etc,) worries me for future releases.

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
Someone suggested Bulkhead be used to make this:

1634761260988.png

and I have to admit that'd be awesome.

-ZacWilliam, like the concept art toys they've done in MotU and Star Wars.

Mouse_Pad

Citizen
I like that Bulkhead is a new design. I don't particularly need a new Prime Bulkhead.

He could have used a curve or two, though, so he's not quite such a box.

NovaSaber

Citizen
Oof, please don't tell me Hasbro got that Bulkhead design from a Google search?

Evolutionof_Bulk.png
I hope not, because citogenesis is a self-compounding error; every time they get it wrong it increases the chances that the next one will be wrong too.

But yeah, it does look more like those, especially the middle one, than like any real Bulkhead.

Honestly it looks like a really fine G1 style toy to me.

The only flaw I can see in this figure is if you wanted something that looked like big round Prime Bulkhead.

-ZacWilliam, This clearly wasn't tryin to do that at all. But it looks like it does a good job of what it's trying to do imo.
Of course I want Bulkhead to look like Bulkhead. Otherwise there's no point in the figure being Bulkhead.

On principle I want everyone to look accurate to the show they were in.
Now I'm not sure I have any confidence that they'll make Armada characters show-accurate either.

**** "unified aesthetic" if that's what they're going for.

But even within the misguided goal of "G1-ized Bulkhead" there would still be room for him to be short-legged and fat, and have the same vehicle mode as the Prime character, and have at least some of his vehicle kibble closer to the same places.
This is not a "G1-ized version of Prime (or Animated) Bulkhead"; it's just a completely different (and quite generic) body with Prime Bulkhead's head.

I believe it was going around from the leakers of TFW for months now that he would share a bunch of his mold with the Non-G1 Optimus listed.

-ZacWilliam, from there there are a ton of obvious but kinda boring possibilities
So it's bad for the same reason Combiner Wars Motormaster was?
Because the Optimus Prime version of a mold got prioritized over the one that was a character who doesn't get made very often?

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Even though I'm not in love with these I am not at all worried about future releases. I see articulated wrists, waists, and ankles. I see generous accessories. The first things that would go in a round of budget cutting are still here.

Boss Borot

The Living Junkyard
Citizen
That Bulkhead would look great if 1: the cab transformed more instead of just having the head and limbs pop around, and 2: it wasn't Bulkhead. I like the vehicle mode and the neat reversible shield/tarp, but the robot mode is dull and only the head, color, and wrecking ball say "Bulkhead". Meh.

NovaSaber

Citizen
Nostalgia lines are for existing characters in their existing designs.

New shows and movies are for new characters and new designs.

The fact that Cyberverse mostly had (before season 3) based-on-ones-from-G1 characters with G1-ish designs wasn't great, and the fact that the toyline favored minor characters in that category over major ones who were more new was also bad. (Why does Prowl have so many figures, while Shadow Striker doesn't even have one that's based on her non-flashback appearance?)

But toys should also look like the characters they are supposed to be. Obviously.
A new design for Bulkhead would be for if Bulkhead was in something new; not for some random toy that's supposed to based on an existing show. (Also, this "new" design is just more generic in every way.)

Last edited:

Noideaforaname

Stone and Sky
Citizen
G1 = faithful updates
Movieverse = faithful updates
Beast Wars = faithful updates
Star Saber and UT Metroplex = faithful updates
Prime = we know we just teased you with those impossible reissues and everything, but you're wrong if you're wanting faithful updates

Like I dunno, if the entire line was completely new designs it'd be one thing, but Bulkhead's the sole redesign in years and years. That's utterly bizarre.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Either go for it or don't. It's not fully "What would Bulkhead have looked like if he were in G1?" with that head, and the body is not satisfyingly close enough to the Bulkhead we know.

I do hope they have another character in mind for the mold because it does look fun. I love the reversible tarp turning into a hard shield. Oh and it totally has Minicon ports for some reason.

CheeseSomersault

Citizen
Generations being fauthful updates hasn't always been the case, of course. Figures of G1 characters in early Generations were often as much of a departure from their Sunbow designs as this Bulkhead is from his Prime version.

I myself would prefer that he look like his Prime design! Just like I enjoyed the recent Generation figures somewhat faithfully matching the G1 and BW designs.

I just think its funny that after clamoring for something new for so long, so many are losing it over this new take on Bulkhead.

Yeah, it's fishy that they're willing to play fast and loose with the Prime characters when the haven't been doing that with other series. Nothings fair. Still, not entirely surprising since the brand unification has centered around G1, for better or for worse.

( I'm not even a geewunner! Prime wasn't my childhood series, but I was still a teen during it and liked the show a lot)

Top Bottom