Nintendo and Shonen Jump Partner to Release Special Edition Famicom Classic
To help celebrate their 50th year of publication, the iconic manga magazine Shonen Jump has partnered with Nintendo to release a special edition of the Famicom Classic packed with 20 classic games based off of 80s Shonen Jump manga!
Spotted in the latest issue of Shueisha’s “Weekly Shonen Jump” by Japanese Twitter user @zaregoto_od3, this new Shonen Jump branded Famicom Classic replaces the creamy white of the original release with a new, gold color scheme and also features the image of the magazine’s pirate mascot next to the console’s logo. Aside from these aesthetic differences, this release also swaps out the 30 games that came with the Famicom Classic’s original release with 20 games based off of various Shonen Jump manga published in the 80s, such as Dragon Ball, Fist of the North Star, and, everybody’s favorite, Sakigake!! Otokojuku. Also included is the classic RPG Dragon Quest, a notable omission from the original release that is likely included due to Dragon Ball artist Akira Toriyama providing character designs for that game as well.
Due to it’s immense popularity, the Famicom and NES Classics sold out almost immediately and were extremely difficult to find, a problem exacerbated when Nintendo controversially ceased production far before consumer demand seemed to be met. While this new Shonen Jump branded Famicom Classic isn’t quite the same thing, plenty of people with tiny retro console shaped holes in their lives will surely have their curiosity piqued by this rerelease.
The full list of games includes:
- Ankoku Shinwa: Yamato Takeru Densetsu
- Captain Tsubasa
- Captain Tsubasa 2
- Dragon Ball: Shenron no Nazo (Released in the west as “Dragon Power”)
- Dragon Ball 3: Gokuden
- Dragon Ball Z: Kyoshu! Saiyan
- Dragon Quest (Released in the west as “Dragon Warrior”)
- Famicom Jump: Hero Retsuden
- Famicom Jump II: Saikyou no Shichinin
- Hokuto no Ken (Released in the west as “Fist of the North Star”)
- Hokuto no Ken 3: Shin Seiki Souzou Seiken Retsuden
- Kinnikuman (Released in the west as “Tag Team Match M.U.S.C.L.E.”)
- Kinnikuman: Kinnikusei Oui Soudatsusen
- Magical Tarutuuto-kun: Fantastic World!!
- Rokudenashi Blues
- Saint Seiya: Ougon Densetsu
- Saint Seiya: Ougon Densetsu Kanketsuhen
- Sakigake!! Otokojuku Shippuu Ichi Gou Sei
- Tenchi o Kurau (Released in the west as “Destiny of an Emperor”)
The Shonen Jump edition of the Famicom Classic will launch exclusively in Japan on July 7, 2018 for the suggested price of 7,980 yen (Roughly $73 USD at the time of this writing).
Looking for a place to discuss this rereleased Famicom Classic? Head on over to the NES Classic thread on our forums or to the gaming channel on the official Allspark Discord server!
Latest posts by Noa (see all)
- Generations Selects Powerdasher Cromar Spotted at Canadian Toys R Us! - September 13, 2019
- MP-38+ Burning Convoy Now Available for Pre-Order on Hasbro Pulse! - September 13, 2019
- Lord Megatron and General Optimus Prime Return to the Battlefield in Wave 4 of the Transformers Trading Card Game! - September 13, 2019