The Spark in Review: January 26, 2018
It’s been a big week for media news with a lot going on at IDW Comics, two Hasbro movies down, one up, and a new Pacific Rim trailer. Meanwhile Power of the Primes is … priming, and Toys R Us, the flagship toy store, is scaling back in the big-box retail world.
Toy News & Reveals:
Power of the Primes continues its rollout with Rodimus Unicronus in the US, Wave 1 hitting Australia, and the US PotP refactoring of TakaraTomy Combiner Wars Blast Off showing up in listing form on Amazon. We’ve also seen in-package images for the Legends Autobot Clones, Blitzwing, and Overlord; since TakaraTomy is releasing Power of the Primes in 1:1 parity with the US lineup, Legends will likely be the last of major TakaraTomy-exclusive plastic content coming our way for a while.
Masterpiece Movie Ironhide’s packaging has been revealed in a further tantalizing tease, though most of the information came in the earlier press release. A new Rescue Bots Optimus Primal and his dinosaur Minicons have also been revealed including the second-most adorable mechanical velociraptor in Transformers this year.
We’ve had another series of packaging art lineart reveals, with Armada Megatron, Sky Lynx / Sky Reign, and Computron from Marcelo Matere and Scattershot, Cyclonus, and Battle Core Optimus Prime from Ken Christiansen.
Outside the strictly Transformers-related, Toys R Us has decided to close 182 stores. Action Toys’ licensed Machine Robo Bike Robo has also appeared at Robo Toy Base and is available on preorder from BigBadToyStore.
- Rodimus Unicronus Spotted at US Retail, Power Of The Primes Hits Australian Retail
- Special Edition/Power of the Primes Blast Off Listed on Amazon
- Takara Legends LG58 Autobot Clones, LG59 Blitzwing, LG60 Overlord In-Package Images
- MPM-6 Masterpiece Movie Ironhide Packaging Leaked
- Everybody Walk the Dinosaur! New Rescue Bots Optimus Primal and Rescue Dino Mini-Cons
- Marcelo Matere Shares Combiner Wars Armada Megatron, Sky Lynx / Sky Reign, Computron Lineart; Ken Christiansen Shares Combiner Wars Scattershot, Cyclonus, and Battle Core Optimus Prime Lineart
- Toys R Us is Closing up to 182 Stores – Is Yours on the List?
- Action Toys 7″ Machine Robo Bike Robo (“Cy-Kill”) Appears at Robo Toy Base, Pre-Order From BigBadToyStore
Comics, Cartoons, and Media:
IDW Comics have released their April 2018 solicitations and January 31st shipping list. Previews this week include full previews of Transformers vs. Visionaries #2 and Lost Light #13, and three-page previews for Lost Light #14 and Jem: Dimensions #3. IDW’s Gears of War launch has become another distributor sellout.
In Hasbro movie news, M.A.S.K. and Ron: Spaceknight movies seem to have been shelved, while a new Clue movie seems in the works with Ryan Reynolds. Meanwhile, Transformers: The Last Knight received a well-deserved slew of nominations in the 38th annual Razzies, in the running for nearly every category.
Outside the Hasbro sphere but in the realm of movies about big, punchy robots, Pacific Rim Uprising has released a second full trailer.
Finally, an odd bit of sculptural art combines everyone’s two favorite sapient Volkswagen matchmakers.
- IDW Comics Solicitations for April 2018 and Shipping List for January 31st
- Transformers vs. Visionaries #2 and Lost Light #13 Full Previews, Three-Page Previews for Lost Light #14 and Jem: Dimensions #3
- Gears of War Comic Debut Sells Out At Distributor
- WWAC Interview of Transformers vs. Visionaries Writer Magdalene Visaggio
- Alex Milne Shares IDW Red Alert and Cerebros Models
- Dead On Arrival? Two Hasbro Cinematic Universe Movies That Probably Aren’t Happening
- Hasbro & Fox Partner With Ryan Reynolds For New Clue Movie
- Transformers: The Last Knight Honoured (Hard) With Razzies Noms
- Pacific Rim Uprising Second Full Trailer
- Bumblebee Disguised as Herbie the Love Bug or Herbie Disguised as Bumblebee – You Decide!
Last week’s Allspark Art Showcase of the Week featured our CORVUS’s Kroc, a truly beautiful reimagining of Titans Return Triggerhappy. You can also check out last week’s news in the last edition of The Spark in Review.
My choice for the Allspark quote of the week comes from Nutjpb R/T, concluding a lengthy explanation of the real-world alt-mode identity of Generation 1 Huffer and how the pre-deregulation OTR tractor was designed to maximize cargo space:
And that’s how Jimmy Hoffa made a mess of Transformers.
Latest posts by Copper (see all)
- BBTS Sponsor News: Toy Fair NECA, Hasbro, DC, Destiny, ArtFX, Godzilla, Street Fighter, Predator & More! - February 20, 2019
- TFSource Sponsor News – Toyfair reveal preorders including Siege, Studio Series, Masterpiece & More! - February 18, 2019
- BBTS Sponsor News: Toy Fair, NECA Horror, Transformers, X-Men Legends, Funko, Power Rangers, DC Collectibles - February 16, 2019