Thank You For Everyone Who Was Concerned About My Near Death Experience

What happened, exactly?

It’s been 5 or 6 days now since my experience. A lot of friends of mine on my Facebook page have been worried and wondering exactly what has happened to me. I’ve been through a lot this week and am only now starting to recover.
So first and foremost I want to thank everyone who was concerned about me and who worried about my health and my future.

How it all started.

The day started just like any other day. Outside of running this site, I actually work full time at my ‘real job’. As I was getting ready for work I looked at my right hand it saw that it started shaking. At first I wasn’t quite sure about anything, I just thought “Weird, my hand is shaking.”
After that my entire hand and arm became numb. The arm recoiled up into my chest and I couldn’t move it. I used my left hand to try to move it and it was completely numb and gone. I also noticed that my vision had become severely blurred and I could barely see at that point.
At that point, I stood up, and tried to take a deep breath but I was having trouble walking. I spoke out loud “What is happening to me?” but instead I was unable to speak and simply said something to the effect of “Lish Beidd Mishh” – I couldn’t talk and thought that was it. I knew I was having a stroke and am probably dying.

The next few hours were a blur.

I was able to get my phone and call my fiance and tried to tell her something was happening to me. The only words I could say were her name and “stroke”. She immediately called the ambulance and they quickly came and put me in the back. At this time I wasn’t able to say my name or my social security (or even know what that was) and I was having a lot of trouble.
I arrived at the hospital, was sitting in the room and watched as the entire staff was trying to work on me. All I could do was simply look around and falling in and out of consciousness. At this point I knew that my life, as I knew it, seemed to be over.

So what actually happened to me?

The doctors wheeled me into the CT scan room so they could take an image of my brain. I was also connected to an EKG machine to view my heart rate. At this time, the thing I remember most is that they injected my blood with some sort of ‘dye’ so the CT scanner could see me. It burned. My entire body felt like it was on fire but for whatever reason, at that point in time, I felt as though my mind and body was being rebooted.
I started to come to my senses. I was still having problems with my vision, unable to see clearly and there was some sort of ocular aura in my field of vision. My head, particularly on the left side, was in so much pain. It makes sense that the left side of my brain had caused the right side of me to be paralyzed. But why was I able to feel my hand again? Why was I able to move it?

I am very lucky and very thankful.

The doctor came to me and explained my situation. He said that even though everything just felt like I was having a stroke, what I actually had was a rare migraine called “Hemiplegic Migraine ” – a very rare and serious migraine that simulated the same symptoms as a stroke.

Many of its symptoms mimic those common to stroke; for example, muscle weakness can be so extreme that it causes a temporary paralysis on one side of your body, which doctors call hemiplegia.

You can find more information about this on the WebMD site here.
To sum it up though, these are the problems I was having:

  • Paralyzed and numb parts of my body on the right side
  • Terrible headache that kept making me pass out and not be able to keep track of time
  • Vision problems that caused me to have many blind spots
  • Aphasia that caused me the inability to speak properly or say words other than gibberish
Things are getting better.

Over time, these things started to fade away and I was beginning to feel somewhat normal. My aphasia was interesting in that I was able to talk properly the next day but it felt like the pathways in my brain were burned out. I had to rebuild them to know what certain things were. For example, I would hear the word “Light Saber” and I had no idea what a light saber was. I didn’t understand how it was connected. I was shown that Luke Skywalker had a light saber and the pathway rebuilt itself and I understood it. Many words and definitions worked that way. And in some ways, I still forget certain things and have to relearn them.
My current vision still has a bit of ‘blindness’ off to the right. Thank goodness that it isn’t directly in my field but it is something I’m having to learn and hope that it too will fade. Also, from time to time, I still have aphasia and I have to stop, take a deep breath and then properly say what I’m trying to say. My head still hurts 5 days later but the pain is starting to subside.

What now?

Now things have changed. I believe that the future, my future, has been given a second change to live and make the most out of my life. My birthday is in a few weeks and I’ll be 43. It’s hard to believe but I first started running this site, The Allspark, since I was 26 years old.
I’ve done a LOT over the past years and lately I’ve just kind of let things go. We still have hundreds of people here, and lots of people read the front page, but it’s pretty obvious that we don’t have all the news up at times that we should. But that’s okay.
I’m given a second chance at life – I still have many, many years left ahead of me but I have a lot of work I need to do this year and next year. I need to lose weight, lower my blood pressure, eat healthier and make sure that I truly make the best out of this amazing second chance I’ve had. No stroke. No heart attack. I still can’t believe it but I’m not going to squander my life any further.

Thanks to all those who are concerned

There were many friends and people I’ve known who were worried about me and put in their thoughts on my facebook page. I am so thankful that so many people were actually worried about me. There were times I was afraid I’d die and no one would even notice but I realize now that’s not true.
There are also plenty of folks I’ve known over the years that I’ve lost touch with – maybe even got into arguments with and parted ways. I still think about some of you and I still appreciate all that we’ve accomplished in the past.
At this point I just mostly wanted to get this word out there and let everyone know that as close as I was to the edge of this life. Through some miracle I’ve somehow survived and aside from the thousands of dollars for the ambulance trip and hospital stay, I believe that I can make the best out of my future. So again, thank you all for being there for me and caring about me.