Godzilla stomps the competition on DVD and BluRay
The summer blockbuster season may be over, but that means the fall DVD season is just getting started! Echoing the film’s impressive $93million opening weekend earlier this year, fans of the Godzilla remake helped The Big G dominate the charts in the film’s first week on home media.
As reported by entertainment trade website Variety, strong first-week sales pushed Godzilla past several other highly-anticipated titles, including new releases such as The Fault in Our Stars and the latest season sets of The Big Bang Theory, Castle, and Arrow. Last week’s top release, Marvel’s Captain America: The Winter Soldier, dropped to the #3 spot this week.
Top 20 Nielsen VideoScan First Alert chart for week of 9/21/2014:
1. Godzilla (new)
2. The Fault in Our Stars (new)
3. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
4. The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (new)
5. Think Like a Man Too (new)
6. Barbie and the Secret Door (new)
8. Brick Mansions
9. Castle: The Complete Sixth Season (new)
10. Arrow: The Complete Second Season (new)
11. The Amazing Spider-Man 2
14. Draft Day
15. God’s Not Dead
16. Ghostbusters/Ghostbusters 2 (new)
17. Sleepy Hollow: The Complete First Season
18. Bones: The Complete Season Nine (new)
19. The LEGO Movie
20. The Perfect Wave (new, Walmart exclusive)
Join the discussion in our ongoing Godzilla (and other kaiju!) thread HERE. Next week sees the release of Transformers: Age of Extinction to stores. Will Godzilla’s reign at the top be short-lived, or can the King of the Monsters fight off the incoming robotic challengers? Only time will tell!
Chris joined the Allspark community in 2002 and has been a member of the News and Content team since 2014.
Latest posts by Chris (see all)
- So… Black Panther’s Panther Jet looks a lot like… - September 7, 2017
- Transformers and Hasbro Comics Shipping List for September 13th! - September 6, 2017
- Hasbro files trademark lawsuit against Warner Bros and DC Comics over Bumblebee! - August 30, 2017