139 replies to this topic

#21 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

Does this look like the face of mercy?

• Forum Moderator
  • 15665 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:14 PM

Snapping Twilight out of a trance by misaligning one little thing is one of the funniest moments of the season. Her friends have her all figured out. icon-fire.gif
QUOTE(Pocket @ Dec 26 2012, 02:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're turning into the real-life version of that little devil that hovers over people's shoulders and tells them to do horrible things. I'm not liking this development.

QUOTE(Cabooceratops @ Feb 20 2013, 06:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lesson of the day, when we go on some crazy quest, don't let Fnu Aw hold the Dues Ex Magical Artifact.

QUOTE(MyLittleEmpath @ Apr 14 2013, 11:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Right, that's it. Tomorrow, I'm painting a giant pentagram on the floor, then buying a goat and sacrificing it to Fnu Aw, Lord of All Evil.

#22 Cabooceratops

Cabooceratops

Local Dinosaur Enthusiast

• Citizen
  • 8527 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:20 PM

I like how it looks like Spike scribbled down his "Noble Dragon Code" onto an index card in his spare time.

Even has a poorly drawn picture of himself on it!

#23 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

• Forum Moderator
  • 15665 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:36 PM

Pretty much all the animation here was awesome.
You're turning into the real-life version of that little devil that hovers over people's shoulders and tells them to do horrible things. I'm not liking this development.

Lesson of the day, when we go on some crazy quest, don't let Fnu Aw hold the Dues Ex Magical Artifact.

Right, that's it. Tomorrow, I'm painting a giant pentagram on the floor, then buying a goat and sacrificing it to Fnu Aw, Lord of All Evil.

#24 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

.Des//tron

• Citizen
  • 22414 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:49 PM

can't say it was the best spike episode.. but it was okay for what it was...

kinda want the butt scratch animation to flourish... the "omg feels" face on Applejack was hilarious
Going back to our regular bi-weekly schedule
Can newer newbs be found? Will the old newbs return? Find out in November!

#25 TM2 Dinobot

TM2 Dinobot

Wha?

• Citizen
  • 4608 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:56 PM

QUOTE(Cabooceratops @ Dec 29 2012, 03:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I like how it looks like Spike scribbled down his "Noble Dragon Code" onto an index card in his spare time.

Even has a poorly drawn picture of himself on it!

My thoughts as well. And Spike says "MY Nobel Dragon Code." not "THE Nobel Dragon Code."
I had a better signature... then it ran away. MLP card trade list. MLP blind bag trade list.

#26 Scavgraphics

Scavgraphics

Sometimes bad ponies make the best good ponies!

• Supporter
  • 4810 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:17 PM

QUOTE(Guardian Prime @ Dec 28 2012, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Cabooceratops @ Dec 28 2012, 02:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
AHA

I figured out the source of our "malware" problem.

Guardian Prime, change the imagehost of the chat image, as that's the site that's giving everybody grief.

Done! I've put the chat image in a new home at my photobucket. Let me know if that fixed it. I'll fix it in the previous episode thread too.

I've updated the index thread picture and paste code. Wonder what freeimagehosting did to frost whoever.

I slept thru pony...I think my beagle tampered with the alarm clocks.

#27 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

• Forum Moderator
  • 15665 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:24 PM

I approve of beasts from Everfree being rendered in 3D. It makes the pace a bit more eldritch.

#28 BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave

Arachnofiliac

• Citizen
  • 10547 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:26 PM

Indeed, I noticed too that this is the first time 3D was used in the series... and it looked quite natural.

The story was a quite generic "repay-the-debt-by-saving-life" story, but what made it awesome were the great character moments - Twilight being almost Ultra Magnus-levels of an OCD neat-freak (she notices stuff being misaligned from the other end of the room?), Fluttershy's quite reasonable idea (figures she's the only one to think of that), Pinkie's hair-brained scheme (and moustache), Rarity's lessons in how to be a damsel in distress (and Spike's crush on her was not forgotten either), Rainbow Dash's idea for a novel (and Rarity's reaction)... It was perfect.

I wonder what Timberwolves are, actually... maybe the forest's magic animates them, or are they sentient plantlife like shambling mounds? It's a mystery why they'd want to eat ponies, considering they are made of wood... but apparently they need to breath as well? I kinda felt bad for them being destroyed, but apparently they can regenerate quite easily.

Oh, and this scene... sooo reminded me of when Courage the Cowardly Dog says "This shouldn't happen to a dog!" icon-fire.gif

But still, this is the quote and picture of the day:

"I'll wear this moustache..."

Boo-Sig.jpg

#29 BlitzwingHaz

BlitzwingHaz

"Wooo! I'm freaking out!"

• Citizen
  • 15620 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:26 PM

Poor Rarity getting made to eat that pie too. icon-fire.gif
The quirky character animations are the main thing I like about this show.

#30 Don_East

Don_East

Feeling Spectacular

• Citizen
  • 339 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:28 PM

Why is it that Merriwether's better episodes are the ones where she's just adding action & dialogue to someone else's story? Seriously, so far the episodes that she took half the credit for. Though this would've worked better if Polsky was the writer because he never stretches out a joke as much as MW. I'm sorry Merri, remind me, is Spike a klutz? I still don't get it yet. Then again, unlike most Bronies the only time I ever had an issue with Polsky's writing was "Over A Barrel", to me the debates over his other episodes felt like reading into a kids cartoon too much. In fact I'm willing to say that he's one of my favorite writers, at least my favorite for Fluttershy right now and I look forward to KCAFO.

So then that they went with this "you saved my life so I'll be your servant" plot and it's because of this "Noble Dragon Code". (Which they never define as either a real thing or Spike making it up, I mean the card implied he made it up but Twi's line about dragons caring about honor implies that nobility is common among dragons) But they didn't explain why Spike didn't do this after the previous times he had to be saved. I mean shouldn't he, since they also saved his butt from danger, also be the servant of Owlowiscious, Rainbow Dash (and technically Fluttershy), & Princess Cadence (and technically Shining Armor)? They should've done what they did in "Hurricane Fluttershy" to explain why Fluttershy had troubles flying despite previous episodes, mention an offscreen event that's similar to those & give a reason for it.

Speaking of Fluttershy, am I the only perplexed with Fluttershy walking Winona in the background? I dunno, it felt like it was set up for a later scene that didn't happen. Like Applejack tells Spike that she never needs help only for Fluttershy to show up, telling her that Winona is all tired out from the walk AJ asked 'Shy to do for her since she was busy with the farm & Spike gives this "oh really?" face to AJ.

One of the more subtle problems (IE nitpicks) I have with Williams' episodes is how some characters appear in an awkward & almost illogical fashion. You know, Rarity behind the counter at the Sugar Cube, Rarity & Dash showing up at the library the same time, etc. Here there's two that stand out: Rainbow Dash popping in at Carousel Boutique and Fluttershy literally walking into a scene.

One moment I did like was how Rainbow Dash & Fluttershy give each other a hoof bump after Spike said Dashie's roar was spot on. That was adorable, I don't care what anypony else think.

The CGI bothers me, mostly because it looks so cheap looking. A lot of CGI in these 2D shows look very weak. I get it's easier to animate a vehicle or monster in CGI rather than drawing it but when it looks like our heroes just need to do to defeat it is pulling the plug on the computer providing the animation.

In the end, "Spike At Your Service" gets a B- . It has some entertaining moments & kept my attention unlike last week's, but it felt by the numbers & lacking that MLP magic.

#31 BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave

Arachnofiliac

• Citizen
  • 10547 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:34 PM

QUOTE(Zealous One @ Dec 28 2012, 03:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Considering how little Spike really knows about his kind, I'm thinking he probably just made it up.

He is a lot like Worf and his ideas about klingon honor, in this regard. icon-hotrod.gif

Boo-Sig.jpg

#32 TM2 Dinobot

TM2 Dinobot

Wha?

• Citizen
  • 4608 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:00 PM

Then again, maybe he read about honor, made up the card, and will forget about i by next week. he is a baby dragon, after all.
I had a better signature... then it ran away. MLP card trade list. MLP blind bag trade list.

#33 Light Warrior

Light Warrior

Photon Soldier

• Citizen
  • 72 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:11 PM

QUOTE(Don_East @ Dec 29 2012, 03:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Speaking of Fluttershy, am I the only perplexed with Fluttershy walking Winona in the background? I dunno, it felt like it was set up for a later scene that didn't happen. Like Applejack tells Spike that she never needs help only for Fluttershy to show up, telling her that Winona is all tired out from the walk AJ asked 'Shy to do for her since she was busy with the farm & Spike gives this "oh really?" face to AJ.

I meant to comment on that too, actually. I thought it was kind of strange, but I imagine Fluttershy probably volunteers to take care of the other ponies' pets when they're busy, so she was probably walking Winona as a favor for Applejack (similar to how she took care of Opal for Rarity in Stare Master).

Speaking of pets, whatever happened to Owloysius and Peewee? I know we saw the former very briefly in Magic Duel, but we haven't seen Peewee since his debut. I'm sure we'll see them in Just For Sidekicks.

Edited by Light Warrior, 29 December 2012 - 05:11 PM.

#34 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

• Forum Moderator
  • 15665 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:39 PM

QUOTE(Don_East @ Dec 29 2012, 04:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why is it that Merriwether's better episodes are the ones where she's just adding action & dialogue to someone else's story? Seriously, so far the episodes that she took half the credit for. Though this would've worked better if Polsky was the writer because he never stretches out a joke as much as MW. I'm sorry Merri, remind me, is Spike a klutz? I still don't get it yet. Then again, unlike most Bronies the only time I ever had an issue with Polsky's writing was "Over A Barrel", to me the debates over his other episodes felt like reading into a kids cartoon too much. In fact I'm willing to say that he's one of my favorite writers, at least my favorite for Fluttershy right now and I look forward to KCAFO.

I'm more inclined to blame Polsky for making Spike such a klutz, not Williams. It seems more like Polsky's style. His episodes tend to be on the zany/slapstick side. Plus it's established that Spike is a good cook, and Williams is usually pretty good about continuity details like that.

One of the more subtle problems (IE nitpicks) I have with Williams' episodes is how some characters appear in an awkward & almost illogical fashion. You know, Rarity behind the counter at the Sugar Cube, Rarity & Dash showing up at the library the same time, etc. Here there's two that stand out: Rainbow Dash popping in at Carousel Boutique and Fluttershy literally walking into a scene.

I never noticed a problem there. There was a huge line at Sugar Cube, and the Cakes didn't seem to be around, so it's perfectly logical for Pinkie Pie to get someone she trusts to help out, and she surely wasn't going to pick Applejack again. Rarity and Rainbow Dash showed up at the library at the same time because they were on their way to get breakfast somewhere and decided to invite Twilight. I'll give you that there's no explanation for Rainbow Dash popping in at the Carousel Boutique, but how much reason does there need to be? She may have just felt like saying hi. As for Fluttershy walking into a scene, she probably got curious when she saw the giant stack of rocks that wasn't there that morning.

One moment I did like was how Rainbow Dash & Fluttershy give each other a hoof bump after Spike said Dashie's roar was spot on. That was adorable, I don't care what anypony else think.

Now that we agree on.

The CGI bothers me, mostly because it looks so cheap looking. A lot of CGI in these 2D shows look very weak. I get it's easier to animate a vehicle or monster in CGI rather than drawing it but when it looks like our heroes just need to do to defeat it is pulling the plug on the computer providing the animation.

I think it adds to the freakiness of the timberwolves. They look like they don't belong in this show, which seems suitable for creatures that live in a place that's considered unnatural.

Edited by Fnu Aw, 29 December 2012 - 05:40 PM.

#35 Light Warrior

Light Warrior

Photon Soldier

• Citizen
  • 72 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:45 PM

Speaking of hoofbumps, I liked the "hoof"bump that Spike did with AJ.

Also, is it just me or is anyone else bothered when terms like "anypony" and "everypony" are used to describe non-ponies? Those terms were used in A Friend in Deed in reference to Cranky Doodle Donkey and Matilda, and they were used here to describe Spike. Also, Spike can't exactly "lend a hoof." I know, minor nitpicks, blah blah blah...

#36 BlitzwingHaz

BlitzwingHaz

"Wooo! I'm freaking out!"

• Citizen
  • 15620 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:07 PM

Not in Spike's case imo since he has been brought up around Ponies and uses their language. Although he does make a big thing about his being a dragon too..

I don't Fluttershy's entrance into the scene needs explaining since that tower of rocks would be visible from a distance.
I like Rarity prodding the pipe as if she doesn't know what to do and doesn't want to pick it up. icon-fire.gif

Edited by BlitzwingHaz, 29 December 2012 - 07:42 PM.

#37 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

• Forum Moderator
  • 15665 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:30 PM

Has this episode officially set the record for appearances of the "LOL face"?

#38 Shoggoth

Shoggoth
  • Citizen
  • 328 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:55 PM

Some of them did stand out in an incredibly bad way.

#39 Zodberg

Zodberg

The doctor is in.

• Citizen
  • 14016 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:42 AM

Man, this might be the weakest episode of the season.
Woooo!

#40 Creature SH

Creature SH

Condemented

• Supporter
  • 5141 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:24 PM

QUOTE(Zodberg @ Dec 30 2012, 08:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Man, this might be the weakest episode of the season.

I would go as far as saying "weakest of the whole show".

One of the main factors that made this show such a pleasant surprise to me was that they liked to toy with plot archetypes and went to unexpected places with them. None of that can be seen here. Instead, this was a paint-by-numbers plot where every clich? they could have gone with was realized in full force. Very disappointing.

Also, it seems off-tone for the show that Applejack (and later Spike) indiscriminately killed those Timberwolves without even Fluttershy questioning it.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users