Entertainment Earth

Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Dracula : (24 August 2016 - 07:54 AM)

G2 was kind of miserable but even that is preferable to RG1.

@  tffan01 : (24 August 2016 - 07:14 AM)

I don't think RG1 is the true ending to the Marvel because G. I Joe was in the same continuity as Transformers and they had a crossover with G2, not RG1 (obviously RG1 didn't exist back then). So G2/Alignment is the true ending.

@  TheMightyMol... : (24 August 2016 - 02:20 AM)

Why do you hate yourself?

@  LBD "Nyt... : (24 August 2016 - 12:45 AM)

I still need to read everything after Vol. 1 of RG1...

@  Telly : (23 August 2016 - 11:47 PM)

i really wouldve liked to see rg1 pick up where the marvel run left off (or just a couple years after), instead of jumping 20 years. i wanna see how shit went down on earth

@  Dracula : (23 August 2016 - 09:54 PM)

After RG1, I'd just as soon have nobody ever touch the marvel continuity again

@  MEDdMI : (23 August 2016 - 08:46 PM)

I would like a dancing/rhythm game called Rhythms of Darkness, but not necessarily Marvel related.

@  Bass X0 : (23 August 2016 - 07:42 PM)

I'd like a Rhythms of Darkness mini-series from IDW following on from the Marvel issue detailing the events that happened in that continuity after the issue ended. The Marvel movie adaptation and The Big Broadcast of 2006 would take place in the same continuity.

@  Telly : (23 August 2016 - 01:21 AM)

someone must think you need another set

@  OrionPax44 : (23 August 2016 - 12:08 AM)

All I keep getting is the add for the FP Stunticon set I already own

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (22 August 2016 - 11:51 PM)

A tactical shortcoming.

@  MEDdMI : (22 August 2016 - 08:54 PM)

I frequently get ones for hot Asian women. I guess they're not doing their research.

@  Bass X0 : (22 August 2016 - 03:30 PM)

Most of my targeted ads are for things I just recently bought, which seems redundant

@  BScorpinok75 : (22 August 2016 - 12:47 AM)

:o

@  Defensis Prime : (21 August 2016 - 11:15 PM)

Okay, see, this is not his fault--

@  ShadowMan024 : (21 August 2016 - 09:46 PM)

Whoa. Sugar rush...

@  ShadowMan024 : (21 August 2016 - 09:46 PM)

DON'T TALK TO ME! DON'T TALK TO ME, CRIMINAL!

@  Paladin : (21 August 2016 - 08:16 PM)

they ate the whole plate. the WHOLE Plate.

@  ShadowMan024 : (21 August 2016 - 05:35 PM)

GRANMAMA DRINK YO PRUNE JUICE

@  TheMightyMol... : (21 August 2016 - 04:05 PM)

Who?

@  tffan01 : (21 August 2016 - 03:39 PM)

Yeah they were awesome.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (21 August 2016 - 03:37 PM)

Anyone wish Maggie and Glenn from the first movie would return?

@  Cybersnark : (21 August 2016 - 03:19 PM)

And if the movies focused on Lennox and Epps (and Simmons) rather than Manic Weirdo, Fatherly Asshole, Statutory Rape Guy, and Generic Female Characters #432, #527, and #671, they'd already be far, far better movies.

@  ShadowMan024 : (21 August 2016 - 03:02 PM)

Lennox and Epps are the exact opposite of "terrible."

@  Cybersnark : (21 August 2016 - 02:47 PM)

Honestly, the movie designs look fine and are totally recognizable, the problem is how they're filmed (in close-up, shakeycam, with split-second cuts). We just need more wide shots, and a plot that focuses on the TFs as characters rather than as props for the (terrible) human characters..

@  Boomhauer : (21 August 2016 - 01:45 PM)

Yeah it's pretty obvious that the movie designs go out of their way to have parts in particular places that move around like muscles. They're going for metal aliens instead of megazords. A reboot, no matter how faithful to G1, would probably still have to try and go for a visual style that allows that kind of fluid movement.

@  cefurox : (21 August 2016 - 10:17 AM)

wew lad

@  unluckiness : (21 August 2016 - 08:48 AM)

At the very least, they make it tougher to see when parts clip through other parts

@  Fnu Aw : (21 August 2016 - 08:45 AM)

The movie designs were never about realism. They're about natural looking movement. Realistic G1 style designs would not move the way we want to see Transformers move. They'd collide with their own boxiness. The shredded metal look of the movie designs lets them flex.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 August 2016 - 06:18 AM)

IDW's art styles varied wildly throughout the years. And I'm not sure how "realism" is a reason to have one over any other since we don't know what shape-changing metal lifeforms really look like.

@  MEDdMI : (21 August 2016 - 05:51 AM)

I liked Eric the best, since he felt the most like a real person to me and had character growth over the series.

@  MEDdMI : (21 August 2016 - 05:50 AM)

Sort of. It was never animated, but if you scroll down to ep 28 and you can read the script for the final ep.

@  tffan01 : (21 August 2016 - 05:47 AM)

of course I'm not talking about Sunbow or Marvel, they look like people in cardboard boxes, I mean IDW, they look both interesting, realistic and also G1 enough.

@  Bass X0 : (21 August 2016 - 05:43 AM)

Did the kids in the Dungeons & Dragons cartoon ever find a way home for good?

@  NotVeryKnightly : (20 August 2016 - 11:15 PM)

Since we're talking about design styles, wasn't AHM like that?

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (20 August 2016 - 11:13 PM)

Yeah, look at IDW. All its lead writers are longstnading fans, but it's not like they've tried to wholly shoehorn Marvel or Sunbow into IDW.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (20 August 2016 - 11:10 PM)

Or even a new style that isn't quite like any of the others.

@  Pennpenn : (20 August 2016 - 11:09 PM)

Even if they simplified the designs they'd probably look more like Prime than G1.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (20 August 2016 - 10:59 PM)

Also, "they'll go to G1 because they already used over-complicated movie designs" is a bit of a false dichotomy.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (20 August 2016 - 09:45 PM)

Also, flat-nosed trucks don't look intimidatingly cool to most American audiences. Movies got to find some way to get funding.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (20 August 2016 - 08:23 PM)

When someone stands next to say, Optimus Prime's leg it would just look like there's a large blue rectangle.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (20 August 2016 - 08:21 PM)

In live-action, they would all look flat and underdetailed when they're supposed to be huge.

@  tffan01 : (20 August 2016 - 03:32 PM)

I'm 90% sure they will be using more G1-ish designs in the reboot (if there'll be such a thing of course). They already used over-complicated movie designs, they'll return to G1.

@  tffan01 : (20 August 2016 - 03:15 PM)

All I'm saying is when they reboot it, they might want to try something they never did in the screen and use G1-ish designs.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (20 August 2016 - 02:57 PM)

Why? Would a classic G1 aesthetic make money?

@  ShadowMan024 : (20 August 2016 - 02:38 PM)

I don't think that switching to G1 would "correct" anything.

@  tffan01 : (20 August 2016 - 02:22 PM)

I actually believe they would switch to G1 because I feel like the next director would try to correct 'wrongs' of the older movies.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (20 August 2016 - 02:15 PM)

Also, if they get to the point of completely rebooting the movies with an entirely different aesthetic I highly doubt they'd switch specifically to G1.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (20 August 2016 - 02:13 PM)

A design alone doesn't say anything. The designs and the setting together are what TFWiki would deliberate upon.

@  tffan01 : (20 August 2016 - 02:13 PM)

I know but a movie character would definitely gets his sub page because of the tie-ins, it would be far too long.

Photo
- - - - -

RUMOR Disney really is looking to buy out Hasbro RUMOR

149 replies to this topic

#141 Sockie

Sockie
  • Citizen
  • 1224 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:34 PM

http://news.providen...sbro-stock.html

Hasbro declined comment, citing its policy of not talking about rumor or speculation. CNBC analyst David Faber reported that Hasbro's advisors told him there's "absolutely nothing going on that they are aware of at all, in any way, shape or form" involving Hasbro or Disney.

Wall Street analysts said a Disney acquisition didn't make much sense, just after Disney agreed to buy Lucasfilm Ltd. for $4.05 billion. And for any deal to happen, Hasbro would have to dissolve agreements with Disney's competitors.

I think that's the end of that. For now, anyway.

#142 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

WAHAHAHA! EH HEE HEE HEE HEE HEE HEE!

• Staff
  • 27384 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:39 PM

This helps.

#143 RichardX1

RichardX1
  • Citizen
  • 1197 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:44 PM

Thank Primus. Did anyone really want Disney in control of Dungeons and Dragons?
I have been a fool. Made mistakes. Monumental ones. But I have gained a clear understanding of my place in the universe. Of who I am. RichardX1: aligned with no side, servant to no one.

(yeah, I'm probably the 10,000,000,000th person since "Partners" to use that line, but still...)

#144 ShadowMan024

ShadowMan024

Blinded by the Light

• Citizen
  • 17840 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:56 PM

QUOTE(RichardX1 @ Nov 7 2012, 07:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't they already own the rights to the old cartoon or something?

Transformers is a brand that really has something for everyone. We are a darn lucky fandom.

#145 Esser-Z

Esser-Z

I'm never going down at the hands of the likes of you

• Citizen
  • 32940 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:38 PM

QUOTE(RichardX1 @ Nov 7 2012, 07:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, judging by Next, they really wouldn't be any worse than the current WotC team.

#146 LBD "Nytetrayn"

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Quyzbuk

• Supporter
  • 16401 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:06 AM

Back on the comic subject: It seems reasonable to believe that after Boom! lost Disney that Dark Horse, and if this deal happened, IDW would be next.

However, do we know why Boom! lost the license? The most obvious answer is "because Disney owns a comic book company now," but is that really the case? I've heard that, perhaps save for Darkwing Duck (I enjoyed it), the quality on other titles such as Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers was bad and DuckTales was even worse, with that fingered as a more likely cause than Marvel being in the fold.

I bring this up because upon hearing of the Lucas deal, I figured Dark Horse was screwed because of Marvel. But working on some stuff, I learned something interesting.

Disney has a video game studio, Disney Interactive. Disney just released a big video game-based movie called Wreck-It Ralph, and it only makes sense for there to be a game tie-in (several, as it turns out). Ergo, it makes sense for Disney Interactive to make the Disney video game on the Disney movie, right?

But they didn't; Activision did (and it's apparently nothing special, even going so far as to spoil the end of the movie in its opening moments, as it's a continuation).

So this proves that despite owning their own creative company for something, Disney won't necessarily use it and may still license out their stuff.

As a result, Dark Horse and, hypothetically, IDW may have nothing to worry about.

But it still leaves the question of what happened with Boom! Studios. Without knowing for sure, we don't really know how the others could potentially be affected.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gif0g9jaoG.gifuWt4fLV.gif

6E96J7Z.jpg

gNLoMUt.png

#147 M Sipher

M Sipher

Won't you come with me to Music Jail?

• Citizen
  • 11180 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:11 AM

QUOTE(Dante @ Nov 8 2012, 04:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(M Sipher @ Nov 6 2012, 02:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I mean, Hasbro's IP stable sure ain't Marvel-level, let alone Star Wars.

Marvel I'll give you, but I think you slightly overestimate Star Wars. Well OK, putting it above Marvel is massively overestimating it...

No. It really, really is not. It's really damn hard to overestimate Star Wars as an IP. (Specific parts of Star Wars, now... yeah, they overestimated the urge for Episode 1 merch, but as an overall brand, especially the original trilogy?)

seriously, Disney has shown that each mid tier Marvel character is a potential Star Wars.

Sure, but only by stretching the meaning of "potential" to right about snapping point. Strawberry Shortcake is a "potential" Star Wars. It's not gonna be. But it's got potential!

With regards to Hasbro, Transformers alone has greater staying power (yeah, I seem to remember this seven year hiatus on Star Wars merch between 1988 and 1995)

I just... no. This is not even remotely true, and runs screaming into the world of willful ignorance. There has never, EVER, been a gap in Star Wars merchandise. Action figures, yes, but action figures are a drop in the barrel that is the Star Wars merchandising juggernaut, which has been going non-stop since the Seventies.

Where's the entire section of Transformers novels at any given bookstore? How many non-movie-year-tie-in games have there been between the two? RPGs? Trading card games? Character mugs and Christmas ornaments? Cereals? 1:1-scale statues? Prop replicas?

and while it took longer to get a live action movie off the ground, it also took Star Wars to school at the box office.

If you completely fail to account for inflation, sure.

http://boxofficemojo...me/adjusted.htm

The only one of the six SW movies any Transformers film beat out once you adjust for inflation is Attack of the Clones, and then only barely by Revenge of the Fallen.

It's easier to make more dollars when ticket prices keep going up and the value of said dollars keep going down.

This is Lucasfilm's only IP and its marketability isn't really any greater than just one of Hasbro's.

Again, this is not even true. Indiana Jones ringing any bells?

Star Wars completely changed cinema in ways that could probably never be matched. It is a cultural icon and has remained a powerhouse IP, if not THE powerhouse IP, despite whatever cinematic stumblings have occurred in recent years. Star Wars is WHY we have movies like The Avengers now.

M "You're One Of Those People Who Argued That Transformers Was A Bigger Icon And More Influential Than Tolkien's Books, Aren't You?" Sipher

Edited by M Sipher, 08 November 2012 - 11:13 AM.

The ISLE OF RANGOON - Advantures in Learning and Sarcasm!
Holy crap Sipher has a Tumblr apparently!
http://www.tfwiki.net - We left Wikia before it was cool to do so!

"I don't know whether it's a new thing, but it's certainly a current thing, in that it doesn't seem to matter what facts are. It used to be, everyone was entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts."
- Stephen Colbert

#148 Somebody

Somebody
  • Citizen
  • 2183 posts
  • Faction::Vehicon

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:19 AM

QUOTE(M Sipher @ Nov 8 2012, 04:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is Lucasfilm's only IP and its marketability isn't really any greater than just one of Hasbro's.

Again, this is not even true. Indiana Jones ringing any bells?

http://money.cnn.com...film/index.html -
In valuing Lucasfilm, Disney focused almost entirely on the Star Wars franchise, company executives said.

"We didn't ascribe any value to the Indiana Jones franchise because of the encumbrances that exist," Iger said

#149 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 16434 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:32 PM

Yeah, Star Wars is definitely a bigger deal than Transformers, even as big as TFs are. Heck, the current Star Wars cartoon has run longer than any individual Tf series and even with the buyout, they are still talking about continuing for a sixth season.

6CbAAc9.jpg

#150 Bleargh001

Bleargh001
  • Supporter
  • 2128 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:14 PM

QUOTE(Smitty @ Nov 6 2012, 03:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Bleargh001 @ Nov 6 2012, 06:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Honestly, this all feels like someone having a bit of fun with a fandom that has proven to be easy to hug with.

Transformers Fandom: Feeding the trolls since 1980.

Wow four years before the fandom even existed...

Thank You for proving my point. icon-arcee.gif

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users