ultra magnus13

Razzaroo

• Citizen
  • 5553 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:58 PM

QUOTE(Sprocket @ May 9 2012, 01:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Sean Whitmore @ May 8 2012, 09:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd like Marvel to get Spidey back too, but it would probably take a lot more than one bad movie for Sony to consider the franchise a poison pill.

It would basically take Spider-Man being as popular as Aquaman, or would have before the current IP-obsessed world we're currently living in.

Marvel can have Spider-Man when they pry it from Sony's cold, dead hands.

Do Fox and Sony have pretty much unlimited access to the rights as long as they keep making movies, or will it eventually default back to Marvel?
I finally got rid of that big white box.

#322 Mark Pellegrini

Mark Pellegrini

TMNT Entity guy

• Citizen
  • 13606 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:25 PM

QUOTE(ultra magnus13 @ May 8 2012, 10:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Sprocket @ May 9 2012, 01:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Sean Whitmore @ May 8 2012, 09:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd like Marvel to get Spidey back too, but it would probably take a lot more than one bad movie for Sony to consider the franchise a poison pill.

It would basically take Spider-Man being as popular as Aquaman, or would have before the current IP-obsessed world we're currently living in.

Marvel can have Spider-Man when they pry it from Sony's cold, dead hands.

Do Fox and Sony have pretty much unlimited access to the rights as long as they keep making movies, or will it eventually default back to Marvel?

As long as the keep making movies within a contractual timeframe (I dunno how many years are required to elapse without a movie before the license reverts) then they get to keep the property indefinitely.

The worst part is that they only have to use a portion of the license to keep the whole thing. That Elektra spin-off was enough to keep the Daredevil license in Fox's hands (and it's often cited as the only reason Fox made that terrible movie; so they wouldn't lose the license).

Its possible for licenses with less spin-off potential like Spider-Man could revert if they get tired of rebooting every 3 movies (but there are always Venom spin offs, I guess), but something like X-Men? Fox will keep them FOREVER. Wovlerine movies, Magneto movies, Cyclops movies. Deadpool movies. The license is HUGE and they only have to use ONE of the characters to keep it for another period.

We will NEVER see these properties revert back to Marvel. The fact that they got Hulk back is either nothing short of a miracle or proof of just how terrible the Ang Lee film was.
TMNT Entity
Ninja Turtle comic reviews, essays, articles and more!

-Mark Pellegrini

#323 NICK TYRANNO

NICK TYRANNO

Live Free or Dinosaur.

• Supporter
  • 9163 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:50 PM

Considering Hulk was the only one they needed to really make Avengers work; thank God for Ang Lee.

#324 Bainreese

Bainreese
  • Public Relations
  • 13742 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:12 PM

QUOTE(NICKSTART @ May 8 2012, 08:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Considering Hulk was the only one they needed to really make Avengers work; thank God for Ang Lee.

2ndededededed

#325 Msol

Msol

Grade killer.

• Citizen
  • 2170 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:00 AM

From what I understand, Disney/Marvel went ahead and bought the merchandise rights to Spider-Man from Sony, so who knows what that means for the future?

And to be honest, I actually want to keep X-Men separate. I find it makes much more sense on it's own. FF, Daredevil, and Spidey? They all belong in a proper Movie MU.

#326 Fenix Twilight

Fenix Twilight
  • Citizen
  • 3911 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:09 AM

QUOTE(Cheetimus Primal @ May 7 2012, 11:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Zek @ May 7 2012, 10:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So, did anyone else's theater sell commemorative cups? Cuz ours did. I got the one with Banner and Iron Man, my friends two of the other ones, I believe there are four total.

I use mine for water. Water that is smart because it has two very smart people on it.

No but I bought a case of Dr. Pepper for the Avengers cans and was pretty annoyed when every last can was Cap.

I got a case of Nick Fury's, didn't think I'd have to buy separate cases for each can, which I am not going to do.

And no Avengers cups at the theater, only Battleship.

#327 Sean Whitmore

Sean Whitmore
  • Citizen
  • 5851 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:18 AM

QUOTE(Msol @ May 9 2012, 12:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And to be honest, I actually want to keep X-Men separate. I find it makes much more sense on it's own. FF, Daredevil, and Spidey? They all belong in a proper Movie MU.

Agreed on the X-Men. I barely think they should be sharing a comic universe with other super heroes.

Edited by Sean Whitmore, 09 May 2012 - 02:19 AM.

Check out my Botcon Film Trilogy...thing...sort of.

#328 Waspinator

Waspinator

Is that your final Dandy?

• Citizen
  • 19933 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:54 AM

I think it's better to keep the crossovers under control. Otherwise we get into problems of the "why didn't they help?" variety. Of course, that happens in the comics all the time. If some giant monster thing attacks New York and the Fantastic Four are fighting it, you have to wonder why the X-Men don't show up to help if they exist in the same setting. They sometimes do in crossover events of course, but all too often they don't and it seems odd.

#329 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron

Happy Nightmare Night!

• Supporter
  • 9307 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:17 AM

QUOTE(Msol @ May 9 2012, 03:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
FF, Daredevil, and Spidey? They all belong in a proper Movie MU.

As in integrated with the current Avengers film universe? Maybe... but I wouldn't want to see so many characters all appearing in a single film. The Avengers was already close to what I feel must be maximum load in terms of how many major characters can be accommodated in a 2-3 hour runtime while still getting a decent amount of focus and interaction with each other. Without going back and re-reading the thread, I can also remember people suggesting adding Adam Warlock, Captain Mar-vell, and Vision into the mix. Thanks to a couple years of playing Marvel's Overpower CCG in Jr. High, I've actually heard of all three of those characters (I often used Vision, actually); but I doubt so many characters could be added to what's already a pretty large team. I guess they could leave out a character or two in a movie while substituting in others, but I think Cap, Iron Man, and The Hulk should at least always be retained. Probably Thor too, as I've grown to like his character quite a bit and he's basically the only member of the current team who's going to be at all familiar with the wider Universe that Earth is soon going to come up against.

Edited by TM2-Megatron, 09 May 2012 - 07:20 AM.

#330 RedWolf

RedWolf

Albert Einstein reborn

• Citizen
  • 2505 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:36 AM

Something occurred to me. Since Captain America is revealed to be the real deal in-universe and still alive I imagine his memorabilia value would sky rocket.

His movies, USO suit, comics such as the first issue Howard left for Tony, and of course trading cards. (Poor Phil his near mint cards were ruined)

Edited by RedWolf, 09 May 2012 - 08:36 AM.

#331 CORVUS

CORVUS

Not the one you were expecting!

• Supporter
  • 27586 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:59 AM

If they are going to be fighting Thanos, at least one character who is familiar with him needs to be added. It may end up being Adam Warlock, what with the plans for a GotG film, but I'd just as soon it be Mar-Vell.

Edited by Dr Corvus, 09 May 2012 - 09:01 AM.

#332 Quantumhawk

Quantumhawk

Fight the Future

• Retired Staff
  • 17994 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:39 AM

QUOTE(Exatron @ May 8 2012, 10:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
More than anything, this movie really makes me wish WB would stop messing up all the DC movies. I would be ecstatic to see a DC cinematic universe pulled off this well. Most of the movies leading into The Avengers weren't all that special, but the sum of all the parts has absolutely been great.

Wait until Nolan's Batman trilogy is finished; his version of Batman is pretty "realistic" and wouldn't lend well to mixing with other superheroes. Figure 3 years out for a new Batman after DKR. Based on previous DC comments and just on common sense, I have a feeling after Man of Steel that they will reboot Batman and start working towards a Justice League movie in 7-10 years.

#333 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 9827 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:57 AM

Yes, with a lot of luck and a whole new movie making approach DC too could have a successful superhero movie universe in just a decade or two! icon-arcee.gif

On the subject of adding cast members... Yeah, this film is just about at maximum capacity characterwise. BUT there are ways around that. While I liked them all, I think a future movie could easily do without Hawkeye, Black Widow, Nick Fury (off on another mission), Hulk (Banner off the grid) or and any given one of the Cap/Thor/Iron Man trinity. Ctainly a couple could get by with Pepper Pots style cameos. It's easy enough then to free up room for some new blood.

In Avengers 2 I'd add Antman and Wasp (hopefully after a solo film) and then have a Mar-Vel cameo where he helps create/inspire the current Carol Danvers Capt. Marvel. Use Antman as a catalyst to create Ultron and Vision for Avengers 3

-ZacWilliam, or something cooler. Basically I'd just like to work Pym, the Wasp, Carol, Vision, and maybe She Hulk into the universe.

Edited by ZacWilliam1, 09 May 2012 - 09:58 AM.

Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#334 Bainreese

Bainreese
  • Public Relations
  • 13742 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:29 PM

Eh, I hope it never gets that campy.

#335 TrapDoor

TrapDoor

Me and My Secretary Bird

• Citizen
  • 3704 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:16 PM

QUOTE(ZacWilliam1 @ May 9 2012, 11:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
On the subject of adding cast members... I think a future movie could easily do without Hawkeye, Black Widow, Nick Fury, Hulk or and any given one of the Cap/Thor/Iron Man trinity. Ctainly a couple could get by with Pepper Pots style cameos.

It's not really an avengers movie at this point, it's an "insert hero here with special guest star" movie.

#336 Sean Whitmore

Sean Whitmore
  • Citizen
  • 5851 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:31 PM

QUOTE(TrapDoor @ May 9 2012, 12:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's not really an avengers movie at this point, it's an "insert hero here with special guest star" movie.

Depends how it's handled. If Marvel gets in front of things and starts building up new heroes (in both starring and supporting roles) with an eye towards the next Avengers, audiences will go with it.

If they sit back and let the belief be fostered that the Avengers are just these 6 characters period, then yeah, roster changes are gonna be hard to pull off. Especially if they try to leave out any of the Big 3 or Hulk; it'll be seen as doing a Blues Brothers sequel without John Belushi.

#337 BlitzwingHaz

BlitzwingHaz

"Wooo! I'm freaking out!"

• Citizen
  • 15464 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:40 PM

Would it work though?
I consider myself a geek but I don't really know anything about the Vison, Adam Warlock, Mar-vell etc. The characters in the first movie (aside from Black Widow) were all instantly familiar to me, and probably to casual fans I'd argue. I think they should be very careful about how they do the next one and avoid picking character designs that are a bit dated or very sci-fi. I reckon Cap or Iron Man should always be there to ground the audience a bit.
I guess it depends how they adapt them to the screen though...
BTW no-one's mentioning Dr Stranger, is he not a big Marvel character these days? I'm sure he had a rumoured movie too at one point.

Edited by BlitzwingHaz, 09 May 2012 - 02:41 PM.

#338 Sean Whitmore

Sean Whitmore
  • Citizen
  • 5851 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:53 PM

It'll be easier in some ways, and harder in others.

On the one hand, audiences are probably going to be more likely to try out-there concepts thanks to "the studio that brought you Iron Man and the Avengers".

On the other hand, we shouldn't pretend that Marvel hasn't already given us its A-list. There's a reason Iron Man, Thor and Cap have maintained continuing series since the 60s and, say, Ant Man and Doctor Strange and Black Panther haven't. On the surface they seem similar; science hero, magic hero, and inspirational leader hero. But the former three have human elements that make them extra compelling and open up wider storytelling possibilities, and that's why they're always around compared to the latter three's spurts of popularity.

I'm not saying Ant Man can't be a great movie, I love Ant Man. Just that Marvel's gonna have to work on how to sell him on his own merits.

Edited by Sean Whitmore, 09 May 2012 - 03:00 PM.

#339 Smitty

Smitty

Things and stuff

• MORON
  • 20145 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:03 PM

I think the only Avengers that could be subed for are Hawkeye and Black Widow. In the films they are 2nd bananas at best and could easily be replaces by Ant-Man and Wasp after they get their movie.

I'm not a fan of voting on peoples posts. it just seems very passive aggressive to click 'down vote' and not add anything to the thread. and up votes are exactly the same. to my mind the whole point of a forum is discussion and being able to just easily agree or disagree takes the discussion out of the equation.

#340 Ironbite

Ironbite

Trust the Fizzy Fisherman

• Citizen
  • 15608 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:22 PM

And Smitty shows what a non-comic book fan he is.

Welcome back exploding 'raptor.

QUOTE(Fortress Ironhold @ Sep 3 2007, 08:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are you so intent upon trying to damn everyone that you are willing to use material you know full well to be wrong?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users