10 replies to this topic

#1 newsy891

newsy891

Theater Dork in Residence

• Retired Staff
  • 9676 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 28 April 2012 - 01:11 PM

Hey guys, look at me popping out of the woodwork to be all needy! icon-arcee.gif

Just this week I've been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Funny time to be diagnosed, too, after dropping 30 pounds since November due in part to living in an apartment complex that's pretty much a built-in walking trail and rekindling my passionate love affair with fresh veggies and fruit. So - on top of a heaping helping of "keep doing what I'm doing," I'm looking for some quick easy recipes for [fill in lean protein here]. I say "quick easy recipes" because I rather stink at cooking and have not much of a repertoire, and also because my first thought upon getting home from work is generally something like "I don't have the energy to do Serious Cooking tonight."

So... any cooks with suggestions for this non-cook? icon-hotrod.gif

More fanfic at Offscreen Fics - random archived bits of Transformers fic, with a side of Doctor Who
Sig and avatar art by Shum

RIP, Kevin "SolFire" Russell.
There is help, there is hope. Call 1-800-273-TALK (8255) in the US, or e-mail jo (at) samaritans (dot) org worldwide.

#2 Kevin S

Kevin S

Unswerving in my duties

• Supporter
  • 3771 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 28 April 2012 - 02:15 PM

QUOTE(newsy891 @ Apr 28 2012, 02:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey guys, look at me popping out of the woodwork to be all needy! icon-arcee.gif

Just this week I've been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Funny time to be diagnosed, too, after dropping 30 pounds since November due in part to living in an apartment complex that's pretty much a built-in walking trail and rekindling my passionate love affair with fresh veggies and fruit. So - on top of a heaping helping of "keep doing what I'm doing," I'm looking for some quick easy recipes for [fill in lean protein here]. I say "quick easy recipes" because I rather stink at cooking and have not much of a repertoire, and also because my first thought upon getting home from work is generally something like "I don't have the energy to do Serious Cooking tonight."

So... any cooks with suggestions for this non-cook? icon-hotrod.gif

Well I know next to nothing about diabetes, but I'd recommend looking into these.

http://www.laaloosh....uffed-pastries/

I remember reading on the back that they were a creation to be more health conscious, but I can't remember if it was because of diabetes or heart issues. Anyway, if you can eat these, they are really good. But I can't say for certain if they diabetes friendly or not.

My FlickR folder...

And yes, I was too lazy to come up with a decent TF related forum name, and just *GASP* used my own.

#3 Crypt

Crypt

Cryptinite Demon

• Citizen
  • 12891 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:13 AM

If you're looking for quick stuff, then I suggest you get some of those grillmates marinades (http://www.mccormick...uctlanding.aspx). Whenever I feel lazy I just get a pound of chicken, one of those spice packets marinade it for about 20 minutes and then throw it in the oven for 20-30 minutes at 375. Chicken comes out nice and juicy and with little effort. Most of the packets suggest you use oil, but I usually don't bother with it. A little bit of water and apple cider vinegar seems to do it just fine.

For vegetables, I like to get a couple of green peppers and a white onion. Then chop them up and mix together. Add in some ground cumin, basil leaves, and garlic. Bake in the oven for about 20-25 at 350 (saute works too). Might want to add a little bit of water during baking so they don't dry out. Very small amount of water will do.

Another chicken one is cream cheese and chicken. Soften up some cream cheese and throw it on the chicken. Sprinkle garlic and basil on top. Bake for 30 minutes at 350

More chicken. Add cream of mushroom to chicken. Bake it.

Easy fish is just to get a pack of lemon pepper, sprinkle it on the fish and bake.

#4 Glenn

Glenn

I have CDO. It's like OCD but in order, as it should be.

• Citizen
  • 5706 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:29 AM

Those Marinades are very diabetic friendly.. and contain tumeric which is awesome for blood sugar control. For veggies a quick recipe I use:

Fresh Brussel Sprouts and/or Green/Red Peppers
coat lightly in olive oil, and fresh garlic.. Season to taste
Roast in oven at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.

Also.. If you feel the need for potatoes or Fries.. go for the sweet potatoes kind instead.

Biggest tip I can give though is read labels.. and try to go for low sodium.. and despite its labeling... avoid "Sugar free" as sucralose causes bathroom issues

#5 Dvandom

Dvandom

Purveyor of Ponies. And Physics.

• Supporter
  • 12915 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:24 AM

I did a lot of looking at special diabetic recipes and stuff when I was diagnosed, but for the most part I just make smaller portions of the same sort of stuff. It's worked out pretty well.

---Dave

Edit: Addendum - I got most of my benefit from simply tracking carbs and trying to stay within the 12-14 a day window (although I've since crept back up into the high teens). And as many studies have pointed out, any diet where you actually pay close attention to what you eat will have benefits, because you're THINKING. You don't need to switch to a special diabetic diet or anything, just avoid overdoing it on anything carb-laden (not just sugar, starches too) and go with smaller portions. A few things should be cut entirely if you find you can't have them in limited amounts (i.e. I no longer have non-diet soda, because enough to satisfy thirst is also a full meal's worth of carbs!).

One thing I did find made a good substitute even without reducing is to thicken sauces with milled flax seed. It's better for me on a lot of fronts than wheat flour, and pumps up the protein levels some as well.

Edited by Dvandom, 29 April 2012 - 01:32 PM.

DAVE'S WEBPAGES
-- www.eyrie.org/~dvandom/BW --
NEWS, REVIEWS and SIGHTINGS
-- www.dvandom.com --
ARTWORK and IMAGES

Pssst...if you
can't see my images,
try my deviantArt!

#6 newsy891

newsy891

Theater Dork in Residence

• Retired Staff
  • 9676 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:13 AM

12-14 what, Dave? Exchanges?

Crypt: I think I would put the brown sugar bourbon one on everything. I'd put it on my salad. If only it didn't have so much sodium! I wonder if they could make a reduced version of that one? Those sprinkle-on seasoning blends look great, too, and maybe a little easier for me to control for sodium.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

More fanfic at Offscreen Fics - random archived bits of Transformers fic, with a side of Doctor Who
Sig and avatar art by Shum

RIP, Kevin "SolFire" Russell.
There is help, there is hope. Call 1-800-273-TALK (8255) in the US, or e-mail jo (at) samaritans (dot) org worldwide.

#7 SilverFirePrime

SilverFirePrime

And one more for Jenny and the Wimp

• Citizen
  • 3875 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:28 AM

A lean pork loin marinated in lemon juice, rosemary, garlic salt, pepper, paprika, and a bay leaf or two turns out really nice in the oven. If you're watching salt, go with garlic powder instead. I let the loin soak in a ziplock bag full of the marinade for about 2 hrs, take it out and then put it in the oven at 350 until its cooked through.

When you find yourself standing on the brink of surrender, know that many in the past faced trials such as your own, but overcame them with their great conviction.
No matter the greatness of your desperation, the failures of your efforts, or the injustice of your treatment, at least a few men have stared into the same challenges and emerged victorious from these tests.
Such men are not only a great source of inspiration, but also the very foundation upon which modern society rests.

From lyric booklet of 'Starfall' by Dragonland

The mind. It boggles.
QUOTE(Alvatron!)
...what's a comicon without a roomful of drunken comic geeks singing showtunes to DDR?

#8 Dvandom

Dvandom

• Supporter
  • 12915 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:29 AM

One "unit" of carbs is 15g of carbohydrates, generally round to the nearest half unit. A meal should be no more than 4 carbs, or 60-65g of carbohydrates, while snacks between meals should be limited to 1 carb (and you *should* have a snack, to keep blood sugar from dropping too low and to make it easier to avoid overeating at meals). When I tried back-calculating my typical carb intake from before the diagnosis, it was over 50, even on days when I didn't eat half a "family size" Doritos bag over the course of an evening.

---Dave
DAVE'S WEBPAGES
-- www.dvandom.com --
ARTWORK and IMAGES

Pssst...if you
can't see my images,
try my deviantArt!

#9 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 30889 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:35 AM

QUOTE(Dvandom @ Apr 29 2012, 11:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
(i.e. I no longer have non-diet soda, because enough to satisfy thirst is also a full meal's worth of carbs!).

What about the diet sodas? I know they use artificial sugars, but I never thought to pay attention to the carbo load.

#10 Glenn

Glenn

I have CDO. It's like OCD but in order, as it should be.

• Citizen
  • 5706 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:52 AM

There is no carb content in diet sodas, however the sodium content is frightful in most of them. Diet Rite is about the safest one out there.

Also.. another tip I can give for newly diabetics, is if you aren't already.. start taking a multivitamin with breakfast, and a fiber additive (like benefiber) once a day. Keeping regular is extremely important to blood sugar.

Edited by Glenn, 30 April 2012 - 09:09 AM.

#11 Dvandom

Dvandom

• Supporter
  • 12915 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:49 AM

Fiber pills never seemed to do much for me, unfortunately. I finally found something that A) keeps things moving, B) is fairly low-carb, and C) is a filling snack: pumpkin seeds in shell. The main downside is the need to floss afterwards. Well, and the frightful amounts of sodium.

As for diet sodas, the main important thing is that aspartame does skunk out (it has a decay chain into formaldehyde, but will be undrinkably nasty LOOOONG before it gets hazardous to consume...and don't worry about it decaying in your gut, primate digestive systems don't result in aspartame becoming a dangerous byproduct the way rodent digestive systems do). This happens faster when it's hot out. So don't get a 12-pack and leave it in your car for a few sunny days, and do pay attention to the expiration dates.

---Dave
DAVE'S WEBPAGES
-- www.dvandom.com --
ARTWORK and IMAGES

Pssst...if you
can't see my images,
try my deviantArt!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users