Entertainment Earth

Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  OrionPax44 : (04 May 2016 - 04:52 PM)

I try to raise my kids right.

@  MEDdMI : (04 May 2016 - 01:15 PM)

:D Nice, OP

@  OrionPax44 : (04 May 2016 - 11:38 AM)

My kids made a desert full of Graboids in Minecraft this past weekend. Including paintings of people in the mouths.

@  Robowang : (03 May 2016 - 08:09 PM)

Put a wombat up ya wanker, moit.

@  MEDdMI : (03 May 2016 - 06:59 PM)

Could be an 3rd stage Graboid, too

@  BlackMax : (03 May 2016 - 06:29 PM)

THe one by Pratchett that flies by rocket fart.

@  TheMightyMol... : (03 May 2016 - 04:54 PM)

She Who Must Not Be Named.

@  MEDdMI : (03 May 2016 - 04:48 PM)

Which Errol? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Errol (her name is Turtle b/c we couldn't decide on anything)

@  BlackMax : (03 May 2016 - 04:21 PM)

WHat, is her name Errol or something?

@  TheMightyMol... : (03 May 2016 - 04:14 PM)

She shoots fire from her eyes, and lightning from her arse!

@  MEDdMI : (03 May 2016 - 04:13 PM)

just wait till you see what comes out of her backside

@  Smokey : (03 May 2016 - 12:01 PM)

OW HOLY SHIT SHE BREATHES FIRE OW OW OW

@  TheMightyMol... : (03 May 2016 - 11:27 AM)

You'll have to fight her for it. Be warned, she bites.

@  Smokey : (03 May 2016 - 11:25 AM)

Then I bid the soul of your turtle.

@  DeltaSeeker : (03 May 2016 - 11:25 AM)

I want one! I can't afford it, but I want one.

@  TheMightyMol... : (03 May 2016 - 11:22 AM)

I don't have a firstborn. Your bid is invalid.

@  Smokey : (03 May 2016 - 11:20 AM)

I bid the soul of your firstborn.

@  TheMightyMol... : (03 May 2016 - 11:13 AM)

I bid a coconut.

@  Ms Virion : (03 May 2016 - 11:11 AM)

I bid $1.

@  Robowang : (03 May 2016 - 10:54 AM)

Anyone want a $600 Botcon Megatron?

@  TheMightyMol... : (03 May 2016 - 01:58 AM)

Vote up and let's start showing, just where our Likes are going to.

@  BlackMax : (02 May 2016 - 07:12 PM)

These are the posts we're given.

@  TheMightyMol... : (02 May 2016 - 04:06 PM)

Well, this is the world we live in.

@  OrionPax44 : (02 May 2016 - 03:54 PM)

Living in the land of confusion

@  Paladin : (02 May 2016 - 11:13 AM)

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/karl-urban-says-conversations-are-happening-about-dredd-tv-series

@  Verno : (02 May 2016 - 02:45 AM)

That's a good mantra, Daith.

@  Daith : (02 May 2016 - 02:26 AM)

Catering to the modern maximal with content that promises to seduce, entertain and continuously surprise.

@  Verno : (01 May 2016 - 09:04 PM)

Just trying to get some exposure. It's difficult to get your stuff seen.

@  Touch My Thighs : (01 May 2016 - 08:43 PM)

Verno fanfic power hour, huh?

@  Verno : (01 May 2016 - 08:29 PM)

The cover artwork for Issue #1 of TransWarp: Maxim -- http://tf-tvc.devian...Cover-606488281

@  MEDdMI : (01 May 2016 - 05:22 PM)

didn't know the reference before searching, but the Lizard Queen & fermentarium thing are from Simpsons. https://en.m.wikiped.../Selma's_Choice

@  Smokey : (01 May 2016 - 04:53 PM)

What the hug's a fermentarium?

@  Verno : (01 May 2016 - 04:34 PM)

'Dawn of the Predacus' not your cup of tea? Try TRANSFORMERS: UNITY for your BotCon 2016 comic.

@  MEDdMI : (01 May 2016 - 02:14 PM)

...... *MED's hand appears in the fermentarium, getting closer to TMM, along with the Jaws theme*

@  TheMightyMol... : (01 May 2016 - 01:19 PM)

I wasn't going to go in naked, but it rotted off all my clothes. And then I was already in anyway, so......

@  Paladin : (01 May 2016 - 12:32 PM)

for the last time, stop swimming naked in the fermentarium.

@  MEDdMI : (01 May 2016 - 09:17 AM)

I bring you fresh crickets and worms, my Queen. Your basking lamp is ready for you afterwards.

@  Autobot Bubbs : (01 May 2016 - 09:13 AM)

I AM THE LIZARD QUEEN!!!!!

@  Locoman : (01 May 2016 - 08:59 AM)

I still want a cheetor figure that actually looks like the version we got on the tv show.

@  zephyrX9 : (01 May 2016 - 01:15 AM)

my salt in not getting victorion has turned into salt waiting for TR rewind to go up for preorder. ho-hum

@  Verno : (01 May 2016 - 01:05 AM)

Given how TM Megs suffers from GPS, I'm sure many people would jump at a reissue.

@  Pennpenn : (01 May 2016 - 12:32 AM)

Out of all the hypothetical Beast Wars things, the one I'd like is a leader class Transmetal Megatron

@  Verno : (30 April 2016 - 11:18 PM)

They'd make a superb duo. If TT drew the line under BW MPs after those two, I'd be perfectly content.

@  Smokey : (30 April 2016 - 11:15 PM)

I personally hope we get an MP BW Megs, especially if he has a rubber ducky he can hold, yeeess.

@  Verno : (30 April 2016 - 11:13 PM)

Bring on October and MP Primal so the anniversary celebrations can begin.

@  Smokey : (30 April 2016 - 11:06 PM)

oh hey lok its tecs birthday

@  Smokey : (30 April 2016 - 11:03 PM)

It certainly has, man. If it wasn't for BW I probably wouldn't be here.

@  Verno : (30 April 2016 - 10:15 PM)

Yeah, I threw a link in the Beast Wars Birthday thread. I'm keen to hear as many thoughts on it as possible. The last month has proven just how dear to the hearts of fans BW is.

@  Smokey : (30 April 2016 - 10:04 PM)

I looked at it a few days ago, actually, I saw you post it somewhere here on the forums.

@  Verno : (30 April 2016 - 09:43 PM)

No, they're certainly after their own ends. Cheers for taking a look at it, Smokey. I appreciate it.

Photo
- - - - -

Hasbro Brand Panel - 3pm CDT

613 replies to this topic

#521 Lukeblast

Lukeblast
  • Staff
  • 13911 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 11 May 2012 - 09:12 AM

QUOTE(GALVATRON I @ May 10 2012, 05:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Seems kind of silly to assume that this dinosaur recognition issue is so complex considering two decades ago Dinobots kept shipping for years due to popularity despite all featuring similar colors (and selling at a higher pricepoint). Then again in Euro Classics and G2.

That is the entire problem with this idea - it has been done before and done very successfully.

Well yeah... about 20 or 30 years ago, depending on which iteration you're talking about.

It is easily observable and provable fact that every level of retail toys has changed significantly since then, and it borders on willful ignorance to claim that the the marketing and distribution of decades past somehow applies to today's market.

#522 The Phazer

The Phazer

Pipes LIVES.

• Citizen
  • 11965 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:06 PM

QUOTE(Lukeblast @ May 11 2012, 03:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well yeah... about 20 or 30 years ago, depending on which iteration you're talking about.

It is easily observable and provable fact that every level of retail toys has changed significantly since then, and it borders on willful ignorance to claim that the the marketing and distribution of decades past somehow applies to today's market.

Just as it requires actual willful ignorance to ignore hugely successful lines where most of the items are much more similar than the Dinobots, such as Pixar's Cars, Thomas and Friends or virtually *all* girls lines. Heck, Power Rangers differentiates itself on nothing more than colour.

The idea that you couldn't release Dinobots in mixed colour schemes G2 style and then over time get out G1 coloured repaints is silly.

Phazer

#523 mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon

The world suffused with sound

• Supporter
  • 18087 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:13 PM

QUOTE(The Phazer @ May 11 2012, 10:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The idea that you couldn't release Dinobots in mixed colour schemes G2 style and then over time get out G1 coloured repaints is silly.

Phazer

I don't think anybody claimed they couldn't.

Heck, I opened this line of discussion on the basis that the best way to get a set of Dinobots out to market again is to be non-traditionalist. Getting all five, in their classic grey/red/gold colourschemes is the real hurdle in today's retailer-controlled market.

#524 ▲ndrusi

▲ndrusi

Praise be to Stakeout.

• Supporter
  • 22762 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 11 May 2012 - 01:18 PM

QUOTE(The Phazer @ May 11 2012, 01:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just as it requires actual willful ignorance to ignore hugely successful lines where most of the items are much more similar than the Dinobots, such as Pixar's Cars, Thomas and Friends or virtually *all* girls lines. Heck, Power Rangers differentiates itself on nothing more than colour.

Phazer

Who are you arguing with?

QUOTE(orionpax44 @ Jun 24 2012, 01:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Childrens toys? whaa the boxes seriously say ages 5+ I consider myself the plus.
QUOTE(mx-01 archon @ Sep 9 2012, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're talking to ▲ndrusi. Assume everything that he posts is snark.

#525 Lukeblast

Lukeblast
  • Staff
  • 13911 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 12:58 AM

QUOTE(The Phazer @ May 11 2012, 01:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

All of those having significant, wildly popular, and global media exposure to drive home the idea that the similar/repainted versions are unique. Dinobots do not currently have that benefit.

Additionally, and as I noted before, customers are practically trained to see repainted cars as unique--that's most of the diecast aisle. It also fits right into the Transformers design/repaint philosophy in a way that a bunch of dinosaurs do not. The girls' lines are similar, in that customers are trained to see various Barbies (for example) that are merely outfitted in different ways as individuals.

The suggestion was brought up, discussed, and I don't believe anyone even attempted to counter it.

Not that ANYTHING you said has a single thing to do with one word I that I said.

#526 Daytonus

Daytonus

Full Circle

• Retired Staff
  • 11861 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 02:05 AM

Yeah, it'd be one thing if Hasbro had a show called "TERRIFIC TRANSFORMIN' SUPER DINOBOTS" about a group of teenage dinorobot ninjas with attitude taking council from a floating Grand Mal. But they don't, they have a show called Transformers, which has dozens of concepts, of which the Dinobots had increasingly become marginalized over the past decade and Grimlock increasingly becoming synedochic of the Dinobots in general. We'll see what FOC does for them.

Edited by Daytonus, 12 May 2012 - 02:11 AM.

#527 MrBlud

MrBlud

Goes down smooth...

• Staff
  • 49333 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 12 May 2012 - 02:54 AM

"TERRIFIC TRANSFORMIN' SUPER DINOBOTS" about a group of teenage dinorobot ninjas with attitude taking council from a floating Grand Mal.

NOTE: I want this as a Botcon set at some point.

tease-sig.jpg

#528 Lukeblast

Lukeblast
  • Staff
  • 13911 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:44 AM

Perhaps tangential to the overall discussion, perhaps not... I speculated that perhaps the problem with Dinobots is that they ARE recognizable and repaints would not be viewed as new characters like cars and planes.

Power Rangers has been brought up a few times, and I notice that the property tends to get a lot of non-media product... motorcycles and action-feature figures and entire zords on occasion. But something they almost never do is repaint the "show-Zords" outright. I've never seen it happen outside of a few TRU-exclusives in the Lost Galaxy era, and those were themselves several years old and long off the shelves.

I wonder if that isn't in the same ballpark... they repaint the figures because "the Batman effect" says you can do all kinds of crazy variants of your main character and people will accept it as whatever you intend and/or buy multiple versions of the same character. But the robots... repainting the robot and potentially getting it on the shelf next to the original version could work against them. If it's too obvious customers will assume it's the same thing, even if it isn't. Then you run the risk of thinning out the interest in the original/primary version if/when people buy the repaint instead.

Looking at the toy aisles, the stuff that gets away with repaints tends toward vehicles and "traditional" action figures. There's plenty of "creatures" in various toylines, but even when those are reused, they tend to take a break and the previous version(s) are long off the shelves. Hasbro's desires tend toward things they can repaint immediately, not stuff they have to sit on for a few years before they can reuse.

Again, I'm just speculating here. There are probably copious examples to support and dispute me. It's merely a spitballing of ideas on how things might work based on too many visits to the toy department.

#529 Shockwave 75

Shockwave 75

That's what I do. I drink, and I know things.

• Supporter
  • 4964 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:02 AM

QUOTE(MrBlud @ May 12 2012, 03:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"TERRIFIC TRANSFORMIN' SUPER DINOBOTS" about a group of teenage dinorobot ninjas with attitude taking council from a floating Grand Mal.

NOTE: I want this as a Botcon set at some point.

And it must be accompanied by an OVA where they fight rediculous foam rubber monsters and gesticulate wildly to communicate.

"The objective truths of the world are controversial only to people who are both under-informed and who like to argue." - Neil deGrasse Tyson

#530 Smitty

Smitty

Things and stuff

• MORON
  • 20145 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 11:07 AM

QUOTE(Lukeblast @ May 12 2012, 08:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Perhaps tangential to the overall discussion, perhaps not... I speculated that perhaps the problem with Dinobots is that they ARE recognizable and repaints would not be viewed as new characters like cars and planes.

I already pointed out that there are plenty of dinos in Transformers that the Dinobots could be repainted into. Overkill and Trypticon have been done, there there is Terrorsaur, Slugfest, and plenty of Dinosaur like monsters out there for retools of the Dinobots.

I'm not a fan of voting on peoples posts. it just seems very passive aggressive to click 'down vote' and not add anything to the thread. and up votes are exactly the same. to my mind the whole point of a forum is discussion and being able to just easily agree or disagree takes the discussion out of the equation.

#531 Daytonus

Daytonus

Full Circle

• Retired Staff
  • 11861 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 11:52 AM

But we're not talking about what the fiction can support but what the market can. The fiction can support "Rorza, the Rocket-cycle Racer from Rigel III," but I've never seen it on shelves.

#532 Walky

Walky

STRONG GRUDGE

• Citizen
  • 34576 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 12 May 2012 - 11:55 AM

QUOTE(Daytonus @ May 12 2012, 12:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But we're not talking about what the fiction can support but what the market can. The fiction can support "Rorza, the Rocket-cycle Racer from Rigel III," but I've never seen it on shelves.

I see that on shelves every time I close my eyes.

#533 Smitty

Smitty

Things and stuff

• MORON
  • 20145 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 03:57 PM

QUOTE(Daytonus @ May 12 2012, 10:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Straxus and Black Shadow.

I'm not a fan of voting on peoples posts. it just seems very passive aggressive to click 'down vote' and not add anything to the thread. and up votes are exactly the same. to my mind the whole point of a forum is discussion and being able to just easily agree or disagree takes the discussion out of the equation.

#534 Cheetimus Primal

Cheetimus Primal

Commissions! cheetimus@cheetimus.com

• Retired Staff
  • 48074 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 12 May 2012 - 03:59 PM

QUOTE(Smitty @ May 12 2012, 04:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Those exist, yes. Your point? Unless there was a series of blue tank all with different names clogging the shelves that I missed entirely.
24674394486_13a96b16e0_o.jpg

#535 Walky

Walky

STRONG GRUDGE

• Citizen
  • 34576 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 04:01 PM

You don't know who Rorza the Rocket-Cycle Racer from Rigel III is, do you.

#536 Smitty

Smitty

Things and stuff

• MORON
  • 20145 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 04:23 PM

QUOTE(Code of Walky @ May 12 2012, 03:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah I read Shortpacked! But I was trying to point out that Hasbro is more ballsey that they use to be and if Comic only bots and Japan only bots can get a chance then maybe bots like Overkill and Trypticon and other more obscure can get toys too. But not Rorza he's a tool and no one likes him.

#537 Walky

Walky

STRONG GRUDGE

• Citizen
  • 34576 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 04:26 PM

QUOTE(Smitty @ May 12 2012, 05:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah I read Shortpacked! But I was trying to point out that Hasbro is more ballsey that they use to be and if Comic only bots and Japan only bots can get a chance then maybe bots like Overkill and Trypticon and other more obscure can get toys too. But not Rorza he's a tool and no one likes him.

But Rorza the Rocket-Cycle Racer from Rigel III isn't a comic-only bot.

He's a comic-only alien circus performer. He's a tiny fleshy dude in a horned helmet who rides a motorcycle through hoops, for peanuts.

#538 Smitty

Smitty

Things and stuff

• MORON
  • 20145 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 04:28 PM

QUOTE(Code of Walky @ May 12 2012, 03:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He's a comic-only alien circus performer. He's a tiny fleshy dude in a horned helmet who rides a motorcycle through hoops, for peanuts.

See total tool.

#539 Bass X0

Bass X0
  • Citizen
  • 42373 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 13 May 2012 - 06:58 AM

QUOTE(Smitty @ May 12 2012, 10:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We did get an Overkill toy. A repaint of Grimlock sure, but that was the best that character was going to get at this point. And Trypticon got a Classics Legends toy. He really should have gotten an Ultra toy repainted from Cybertron Scourge too.

Just because you can't win doesn't mean you stop working.

#540 Lukeblast

Lukeblast
  • Staff
  • 13911 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:23 AM

QUOTE(Smitty @ May 12 2012, 12:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Lukeblast @ May 12 2012, 08:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I already pointed out that there are plenty of dinos in Transformers that the Dinobots could be repainted into. Overkill and Trypticon have been done, there there is Terrorsaur, Slugfest, and plenty of Dinosaur like monsters out there for retools of the Dinobots.

And once again, my thought was that the MOLDS could be the issue more than the colors they come in.

For the luvva Mike, you quoted me saying "they ARE recognizable and repaints would not be viewed as new characters like cars and planes" and countered that with "they could repaint them into other characters".

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users