Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  NightViper : (30 September 2016 - 08:38 PM)

*Snaps towel*

@  ShadowMan024 : (30 September 2016 - 06:10 PM)

FOOL! *points cane at NightViper*

@  NightViper : (30 September 2016 - 06:06 PM)

It's not "Fools of towel play"? Damn.

@  RichardT1977 : (30 September 2016 - 05:20 PM)

Huh, I always thought it was "tools of power play".

@  Nevermore : (30 September 2016 - 03:30 PM)

http://www.allspark.com/forums/topic/133313-instruments-of-destruction-30th-anniversary-edition-youtube-video-and-legal-purchase-links-inside/

@  TheMightyMol... : (30 September 2016 - 03:18 PM)

tools of foul play

@  Nevermore : (30 September 2016 - 03:04 PM)

instruments of destruction

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (29 September 2016 - 03:01 PM)

Maybe like how Megaempress and her 4 Guards showed up so many male Cybertrons and Destrons. *snerk*

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (29 September 2016 - 03:00 PM)

Maybe as a female EDC officer who actually kicks his ass for a change.

And Carly too.

I would be thrilled to see him in the IDW continuity in the near future.

@  zephyrX9 : (29 September 2016 - 02:56 PM)

when the hell is chip chase gonna come back?

@  Robowang : (29 September 2016 - 11:14 AM)

Like a letter to my mom from prison inmates!

@  LBD "Nyt... : (28 September 2016 - 09:29 PM)

Oh wait, I see it's been addressed.

@  LBD "Nyt... : (28 September 2016 - 09:27 PM)

I was when I posted that, yeah. I'll let you know if it happens again.

@  Dracula : (28 September 2016 - 02:10 PM)

You're clicking on threads and they're redirecting to that?

@  LBD "Nyt... : (28 September 2016 - 01:05 PM)

Why do forum pages keep forwarding me to this? http://www.allsparkt...2VjMDYxZTQxYmVl

@  Broadside : (28 September 2016 - 12:05 PM)

Anyone know what the caption on this page refers to? http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Primon

@  RichardT1977 : (28 September 2016 - 09:53 AM)

After the season finale where RM Corp found a way to make thinking Bots, I was hoping for a continuation of the story where Paradim learned the hard way the downside of Bots that can say, "No."

@  Rycochet : (28 September 2016 - 09:40 AM)

I liked Phantom 2040 more.

@  Blues : (27 September 2016 - 05:08 PM)

I LOVE BOT MASTER SO MUCH. Too bad the toys sucked. I even own jungle fiver. I love him so much, but he can barely stand on his own.

@  TheMightyMol... : (27 September 2016 - 05:03 PM)

That's the 90s.

@  MEDdMI : (27 September 2016 - 04:50 PM)

Ninjzz? That's an unfortunate name.

@  Verity Carlo : (27 September 2016 - 04:44 PM)

Also I thought Fico Ossio was quite nice on Revolutions.

@  Rycochet : (27 September 2016 - 04:36 PM)

You know the planet is in a jam, a diabolical plan of only one man. Louis Leon Paradim an international punk, and his army of 3As are his piece of junk.

@  Telly : (27 September 2016 - 04:26 PM)

for the longest time i thought jungle fiver was called jungle fiBer

@  Bass X0 : (27 September 2016 - 04:21 PM)

Does anybody remember the cartoon Bots Master? I enjoyed the show but looking back on it, most of the robot designs were lame. The only cool designs were Jungle Fiver and Ninjzz although the toys were nothing compared to Transformers of course. I thought the main human characters were decent enough for a show about robots. 

@  Verity Carlo : (27 September 2016 - 02:43 PM)

Although this is odd to me, since I'm fairly sure they are/were good friends.

@  Verity Carlo : (27 September 2016 - 02:42 PM)

Yeah I stopped liking the guy when I found his Twitter.

@  zephyrX9 : (27 September 2016 - 12:35 PM)

https://twitter.com/DerrickJWyatt/status/779870732935233536 link

@  unluckiness : (27 September 2016 - 09:16 AM)

I cut out the middleman and assume that they're all jerks and/or shills.

@  Rycochet : (27 September 2016 - 07:15 AM)

Social media is the worst thing to happen to fandom, you can now see people whose work you like being jerks or shills on a daily basis, which is worse than a bad interview or two.

@  Robowang : (27 September 2016 - 07:12 AM)

Dirty Jerk Warts?

@  Broadside : (27 September 2016 - 07:05 AM)

Also, I guess he hates IDW Soundwave for not being an emotionless brick like the cartoon version? Man. Any enjoyment of Animated in future is going to be tainted for me by the fact that DJW is the worst kind of boring Geewunner.

@  Broadside : (27 September 2016 - 07:04 AM)

He also hates Action Man for no apparent reason other than "I don't know who this is and I don't care to find out". Which isn't fair, because Ian is the best character in IDW.

@  Jalaguy : (27 September 2016 - 06:47 AM)

DJW was mouthing off about the art for Revolution the other day too, doesn't entirely surprise.

@  Verity Carlo : (27 September 2016 - 05:11 AM)

Do you have a link, zephyr?

@  Cabooceratops : (27 September 2016 - 01:36 AM)

bweh!!

@  Cabooceratops : (27 September 2016 - 01:36 AM)

bweh bweh

@  zephyrX9 : (26 September 2016 - 10:11 PM)

Sipher's.

@  Telly : (26 September 2016 - 10:08 PM)

*has flashbacks of the "image wars"*

@  Touch My Thighs : (26 September 2016 - 09:30 PM)

Sakamoto or Sipher's art?

@  ShadowMan024 : (26 September 2016 - 08:17 PM)

Oof.

@  zephyrX9 : (26 September 2016 - 08:05 PM)

Sipher made a sarcastic remark about Sakamoto's skeeviness. Derrick called him an a**hole, and insulted his art, which was a low, unnecessary blow.

@  Touch My Thighs : (26 September 2016 - 07:43 PM)

What did Derrick do?

@  Pennpenn : (26 September 2016 - 07:42 PM)

That makes sense, thank you.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (26 September 2016 - 07:30 PM)

Derrick J. Wyatt?

@  Pennpenn : (26 September 2016 - 07:21 PM)

Djw?

@  zephyrX9 : (26 September 2016 - 05:45 PM)

wow, didn't expect to have to block djw on twitter

@  ▲ndrusi : (26 September 2016 - 02:48 PM)

Yeah, it was really sad that they didn't survive in any of the endings. Eaten by Unicron every time.

Photo
- - - - -

Hasbro Brand Panel - 3pm CDT

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
613 replies to this topic

#481 Daytonus

Daytonus

Full Circle

• Retired Staff
  • 11864 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:11 PM

QUOTE(Master Fwiffo @ May 8 2012, 04:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a question. For the whole 'Parents can't tell dinosaurs apart which is why we can't have Dinobots' crowd, and for Hasbro which touts the same reasoning.

Wave 1 of Prime RID has 3 Sportscars (Cliffjumper, Bumblebee, Wheeljack). Over the course of the next 4 waves, we'll be adding another 4 to those. (Vehicon, Hot Shot, Repaint Bumblebee, Dead End. 5 If Rumble is in there).

Why is it impossible to have 5 dinobots, but ok to have 7 sportscars?

(PS: I am officially sick of sport car Transformers. I want an old junker damnit. Or a mom-mobile Station Wagon.)

Simply, Hasbro has spent considerable capital on building in the public zeitgeist the knowledge of that difference. Bumblebee is, in people's minds, SPECIFICALLY a yellow sports car. The others, while getting less screen time, are still clearly indicated as different characters. Bumblebee is not a Vehicon. That is obvious. Grimlock is not Snarl? Not obvious for the average person. Perhaps after FOC...we'll have to see.

For the past decade, Hasbro has chosen not to maintain that amount of public knowledge for the Dinobots. It's not in their game plan. None of the groups have really gotten that kind of treatment except maybe the Constructicons, and we didn't even get all of them in the movie series except as Legends. That's why Bruticus is a long shot for them. It's riding on the predicted strength of Bruticus as a pop culture icon when FOC hits.

So, yeah, the Dinobots may perhaps get the same treatment if FOC gets really popular. We know there's a Grimlock coming, but he's likely to be the Dinobot stand-in unless there's some clamor for the Dinobots as individuals.

#482 mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon

Hello, world

• Supporter
  • 18361 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:19 PM

QUOTE(Master Fwiffo @ May 8 2012, 01:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a question. For the whole 'Parents can't tell dinosaurs apart which is why we can't have Dinobots' crowd, and for Hasbro which touts the same reasoning.

Wave 1 of Prime RID has 3 Sportscars (Cliffjumper, Bumblebee, Wheeljack). Over the course of the next 4 waves, we'll be adding another 4 to those. (Vehicon, Hot Shot, Repaint Bumblebee, Dead End. 5 If Rumble is in there).

(PS: I am officially sick of sport car Transformers. I want an old junker damnit. Or a mom-mobile Station Wagon.)

7 cars.

In red, yellow, white with rally deco, deep blue with flames, dark purple, toxic yellow with rally deco, and bright blue. There's also stealth Bumblebee, primarily in black.

That's the reason you can have seven cars over that length of time. They're all immediately distinguishable from each other out of the corner of your eye. They're also spread out over 4-5 waves. And also of differing factions, split 4 to 3 for Autobots and Decepticons.

There's no having to examine the finer details of one grey quadruped vs. another grey quadruped there. In what's actually at retail, you've got a ton of different levels of distinction going for them. There's the immediate colour distinctions, and then if you're a bit more discerning, there's the faction categorizations (depending on a child's play patterns, it can be pretty obvious if he/she prefers good or bad guys, or has desire for one or the other to balance out his teams, or whatever). And then theoretically, all 7-8 figures aren't supposed to be out on the shelf at the same time, so you're really only picking from 2-4.

#483 ▲ndrusi

▲ndrusi

Praise be to Stakeout.

• Supporter
  • 23506 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:28 PM

QUOTE(Master Fwiffo @ May 8 2012, 04:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If those seven cars were all in identical color schemes, you'd have a point.

QUOTE(orionpax44 @ Jun 24 2012, 01:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Childrens toys? whaa the boxes seriously say ages 5+ I consider myself the plus.
QUOTE(mx-01 archon @ Sep 9 2012, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're talking to ▲ndrusi. Assume everything that he posts is snark.

#484 TrentTroop

TrentTroop

He knows changes aren't permanent. But change is.

• Citizen
  • 4208 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:00 PM

QUOTE(Master Fwiffo @ May 8 2012, 03:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This has already been addressed re: the multiple car thing. Basically, toy shelf marketing requires Transformers to be identifiable by the most minimal description, which is the kind of description mom, dad or the grandparents will understand. "I want the yellow car", "want the black helicopter", "I want the red truck" etc. At previous panels, Hasbro has mentioned this as being part of their concern. You're not going to see Sunstreaker and Bumblebee in the same case assortment as they're both "Yellow Cars".

The retail release combaticons are very colorful, just for this reason, I expect.

Now, we might get more hope for multiple dinobots if they were colored like a Sentai Team, say, a Gray Grimlock, Yellow Snarl/Striker, Red Slag/Snarl, Green Sludge and Blue Swoop. Even then, that's a lot of dinosaurs for one assortment with no combining gimmick. I would have no objection to this, since eventually store exclusives could get the classic gray and gold out, and hey, the last two TV shows have had Sentai-Team color-coding for the heroes.

The Insecticons need a similar upgrade, and they probably need to trade in one of their beetles for a Preying Mantis or something akin.

Edited by TrentTroop, 08 May 2012 - 09:01 PM.

#485 Exillion

Exillion
  • Citizen
  • 1309 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:40 AM

QUOTE(TrentTroop @ May 8 2012, 07:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Master Fwiffo @ May 8 2012, 03:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This has already been addressed re: the multiple car thing. Basically, toy shelf marketing requires Transformers to be identifiable by the most minimal description, which is the kind of description mom, dad or the grandparents will understand. "I want the yellow car", "want the black helicopter", "I want the red truck" etc. At previous panels, Hasbro has mentioned this as being part of their concern. You're not going to see Sunstreaker and Bumblebee in the same case assortment as they're both "Yellow Cars".

The retail release combaticons are very colorful, just for this reason, I expect.

Now, we might get more hope for multiple dinobots if they were colored like a Sentai Team, say, a Gray Grimlock, Yellow Snarl/Striker, Red Slag/Snarl, Green Sludge and Blue Swoop. Even then, that's a lot of dinosaurs for one assortment with no combining gimmick. I would have no objection to this, since eventually store exclusives could get the classic gray and gold out, and hey, the last two TV shows have had Sentai-Team color-coding for the heroes.

The Insecticons need a similar upgrade, and they probably need to trade in one of their beetles for a Preying Mantis or something akin.

Perhaps we have Grimlock as the mass release with the other Dinobots being released in singles or two-packs as exclusives at different online stores. Both BBTS and Amazon have had store-only exclusives. We also have the Club Store and HasbroToyShop as viable options.

Knowledge combined with experience are the building blocks to enlightenment.

#486 mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon

Hello, world

• Supporter
  • 18361 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:07 AM

QUOTE(Exillion @ May 8 2012, 10:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Perhaps we have Grimlock as the mass release with the other Dinobots being released in singles or two-packs as exclusives at different online stores. Both BBTS and Amazon have had store-only exclusives. We also have the Club Store and HasbroToyShop as viable options.

Only if the molds are pre-existing. And even then, the numbers game is iffy. Amazon managed to sell through their Unicron stocks pretty fast somehow (but being a bigger retailer probably helped), but BBTS has never had luck with their exclusives, the aforementioned Battle Unicorns and Seacons, which clogged their warehouses for years.

Any singular online merchandiser, especially the Club Store and HTS don't move anywhere near the numbers to finance an entirely new mold.

Heck, BBTS can't even move the numbers required to meet the minimum production order for an assortment of toys that does have the completed tooling (DotM final wave, Prime FE).

Edited by mx-01 archon, 09 May 2012 - 02:09 AM.

#487 Daytonus

Daytonus

Full Circle

• Retired Staff
  • 11864 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:23 AM

I do wonder about a G2-Sentai Team Dinobots at retail and SDCC G1 Dinobots. It'd be a variation on the Bruticus model.

#488 DINOBOT SLUDGE

DINOBOT SLUDGE

Jungle Warrior

• Citizen
  • 6932 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:34 PM

Seems kind of silly to assume that this dinosaur recognition issue is so complex considering two decades ago Dinobots kept shipping for years due to popularity despite all featuring similar colors (and selling at a higher pricepoint). Then again in Euro Classics and G2.

That is the entire problem with this idea - it has been done before and done very successfully. We are exaggerating a real phenomen to an extent that doesn't exist. I highly doubt parents today have less time for things like looking at two items and noticing they are different. Because they are noticably different. Not at a simple one-second glance, but I think you'd also find market research would tell you people don't just run down an aisle with a cart and flick stuff off the shelf into it as they go.

I'm not sure that characters like Snarl had any more exposure back in the day than he will in FOC. Also, if we are assuming the ineptitude and inability of our audience to be able to take the time to distinguish different species of dinosaur, why are we assuming they have paid attention to any relevant fiction? Certainly this is counter to the base argument that Hasbro is marketing to and assuming the "lowest common demoninator." What happens when little Jake the introverted 7-year-old who talks to himself asks his parent for the car TF? Or that red guy? There is a reason why lowest common denominator has a negative connotation in business, you can't run effectively that way. Priorities outta whack.
What is singature?

#489 Shockwave 75

Shockwave 75

That's what I do. I drink, and I know things.

• Supporter
  • 5067 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:45 PM

While I'd rather unified colour scheme Dinobots, I'd take a neo-G2 appraoch. I'd probably bitch about it, but I'd still buy them if they were the only options open to me; much like I'll probably end up doing with the Combatacons.

"The objective truths of the world are controversial only to people who are both under-informed and who like to argue." - Neil deGrasse Tyson

#490 ▲ndrusi

▲ndrusi

Praise be to Stakeout.

• Supporter
  • 23506 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:11 PM

QUOTE(GALVATRON I @ May 10 2012, 05:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Seems kind of silly to assume that this dinosaur recognition issue is so complex considering two decades ago Dinobots kept shipping for years due to popularity despite all featuring similar colors (and selling at a higher pricepoint). Then again in Euro Classics and G2.

While your "well obviously the market works in whatever way is most convenient for producing exactly the toys Hasbro isn't producing that I wish they would produce" rants have a tendency to make me feel embarrassed on your behalf, the main reason I'm cutting you off here is to point out that you appear to have drastically misremembered the G2 Dinobots.

Childrens toys? whaa the boxes seriously say ages 5+ I consider myself the plus.

#491 (Deactivated) Smitty

(Deactivated) Smitty
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:29 PM

I thought we had already covers the color thing already, remember Armada and the Hotshot and Demolisher repaints both being red and having to be in different waves? I know we have come to the point now where Hasbro is confident in people to tell a tank form a car but no one can tell a car from a car.

#492 CORVUS

CORVUS

Are you ready to stand right here, right now?

• Supporter
  • 30738 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:35 PM

QUOTE(TrentTroop @ May 8 2012, 10:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would be SO down with that.

Transformers is a brand that really has something for everyone. We are a darn lucky fandom.

#493 Fishbug

Fishbug

toot toot

• Citizen
  • 11174 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:48 PM

QUOTE(Dr Corvus @ May 10 2012, 06:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(TrentTroop @ May 8 2012, 10:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would be SO down with that.

THE RETURN OF MANTERROR.
25aputg.jpg
#WHERESINJECTOR

#494 Rosicrucian

Rosicrucian

Frater

• Citizen
  • 6665 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:02 PM

I would be in favor of lots of different Insecticons. I know the big three have sentimental value, but c'mon. Most continuities have thousands of Insecticons in them. I want a big ol' rhino beetle Insecticon from Prime. I'd love a preying mantis one. I could even dig a firefly-based one. Give 'em all new names.

#495 CORVUS

CORVUS

Are you ready to stand right here, right now?

• Supporter
  • 30738 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:26 PM

So long as the Firefly one had a light-up butt, that'd be fine by me icon-fire.gif

Transformers is a brand that really has something for everyone. We are a darn lucky fandom.

#496 Esser-Z

Esser-Z

I'm never going down at the hands of the likes of you

• Citizen
  • 32940 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:26 PM

Yesss more bugbots. Organic or robotic alt mode, either way I crave!

#497 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 14065 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:44 PM

I just want Chop Shop the creepy brown kleptomaniac theif and Venom the self-destructively paranoid leader.

-ZacWilliam, and whatever they want to name the Beetras Ladybug design as a female Insecticon.
Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#498 ▲ndrusi

▲ndrusi

Praise be to Stakeout.

• Supporter
  • 23506 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:46 PM

Oh, it's another leading source of proxy embarrassment.

QUOTE(Dante @ May 10 2012, 06:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No, he didn't. At all. In fact I seem to recall never being able to find the properly colored ones because they actually sold. Sold out, in fact. Technicolor Dinobots? Peg-warmers.

First of all, only three of the Dinobots saw release in G2, which would appear to violate the premise before we even touch on the subject of color. I mean, unless Afterburner doesn't want Sludge or Swoop in his FoC Dinobots lineup, which I suppose is a possibility.

Regardless of that, let's check the wiki:

QUOTE(Grimlock (G1)/toys @ TFWiki.net)
Grimlock's original toy was redecoed for release in Generation 2, this time lacking the missile launcher accessory. He was available in three different colors; the first?and rarest?in his original silver (the easiest way to spot if this is a Generation 2 or original is by the "Autobot" tampograph on his leg), then in a medium turquoise-blue, and finally (and most commonly) in a dark blue.

Hm, the G1-colored version was the first and rarest version. I wonder if that might have made it harder to find? And the blue version was the most common--could that perhaps explain why it was the one you tended to see on store shelves? Naaaaah.

#499 Shadewing

Shadewing

Evil faces a Black Night

• Supporter
  • 31040 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:57 PM

QUOTE(▲ndrusi @ May 10 2012, 05:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh, it's another leading source of proxy embarrassment.

QUOTE(Dante @ May 10 2012, 06:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No, he didn't. At all. In fact I seem to recall never being able to find the properly colored ones because they actually sold. Sold out, in fact. Technicolor Dinobots? Peg-warmers.

First of all, only three of the Dinobots saw release in G2, which would appear to violate the premise before we even touch on the subject of color. I mean, unless Afterburner doesn't want Sludge or Swoop in his FoC Dinobots lineup, which I suppose is a possibility.

But We know there were plans for the others, while no art so far of Sludge has appeared we have seen G2 Swoop and a second G2 Grimlock that probably would have accompanied a second wave of three Dinobots assuming there was a G2 Sludge also in the works.

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

VOTE for what I play on 8/30!

Friday: Sonic Generations - Sunday: Transformers WFC - Tuesday: Little Inferno

#500 Esser-Z

Esser-Z

I'm never going down at the hands of the likes of you

• Citizen
  • 32940 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:58 PM

I want the orange version.