#381 Lukeblast

Lukeblast
  • Forum Moderator
  • 10236 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:39 PM

QUOTE(Daytonus @ May 4 2012, 09:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
G2 schemes for the repaints. Problem solved. icon-fire.gif

Actually, the problem I'm hypothesizing is that the molds would be too recognizable regardless of color, and that too many of "the same" dinosaurs on the shelf at one time would turn off the parents (and maybe even the kids).
"For the love of Crom, am I the only one here who wants to keep the U.S. technologically competitive?"

#382 Rosicrucian

Rosicrucian

Frater

• Citizen
  • 5350 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:44 PM

I don't think it's a coincidence that Hasbro chose the Combaticons, one of the most diversely-colored and bodied combiner teams, to do a new set of toys for. Meanwhile, we've mostly seen the Constructicons in gift sets if they have to all be colored the same way.

It's not a bad idea, and I think ultimately that's what we'll see more of. Stunticons would probably be in the cards. Maybe Protectobots, but that's skirting the color thing a bit. The more diverse your team is, and the more they can stand on their own as real toys, the more likely it is to be made.

#383 Daith

Daith

Hero of Makeb

• Supporter
  • 5220 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:47 PM

PREDACONS! I want me some orange and yellow beastformer combiners!
3DS Friend Code : 1633-4354-6578 Username: Daith Pokemon X - Trainer Name :Phil

#384 Sean Whitmore

Sean Whitmore
  • Citizen
  • 5851 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:50 PM

QUOTE(Shockwave 75 @ May 4 2012, 06:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think that the Dinobots would sell just fine if they would just put them in the show. I think one of the problems is that Hasbro, much like Bay, sees 5 giant robot dinosaurs and says: "That's not a disguise! Transformers are 'Robot's in Disguise'! Dinosaurs aren't a disguise!"

But that's the point! The Dinobots aren't in disguise.

That may be the point, but that point doesn't jibe with the show's current course. However little the "robots in disguise" concept has mattered in the past, it's in the forefront now.

I'd really love to see the Dinobots on Prime too, but I can appreciate that it's a bit of a writing hurdle.
Check out my Botcon Film Trilogy...thing...sort of.

#385 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

Does this look like the face of mercy?

• Forum Moderator
  • 12531 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:11 PM

I want Stunticons. I always liked how coherent Menasor looks, and the scale of the individual vehicles isn't too bad compared to some other teams. I especially like how clean the legs look.

QUOTE(Pocket @ Dec 26 2012, 02:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're turning into the real-life version of that little devil that hovers over people's shoulders and tells them to do horrible things. I'm not liking this development.

QUOTE(Cabooceratops @ Feb 20 2013, 06:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lesson of the day, when we go on some crazy quest, don't let Fnu Aw hold the Dues Ex Magical Artifact.

QUOTE(MyLittleEmpath @ Apr 14 2013, 11:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Right, that's it. Tomorrow, I'm painting a giant pentagram on the floor, then buying a goat and sacrificing it to Fnu Aw, Lord of All Evil.

#386 Database

Database

Dance my ponies, Dance!

• Citizen
  • 21234 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:19 PM

QUOTE(Fnu Aw @ May 4 2012, 08:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I want Stunticons. I always liked how coherent Menasor looks, and the scale of the individual vehicles isn't too bad compared to some other teams. I especially like how clean the legs look.

Only if they design a version that can see past his own shoulders.
3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

#387 Hecate

Hecate

When should we three meet as one?

• Citizen
  • 25716 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:24 PM

scale of the individual vehicles isn't too bad

That's like saying a nuclear warhead isn't too bad compared to an asteroid impact.

I am what I am.

#388 ▲ndrusi

▲ndrusi

So apparently Gravatars work here now.

• Supporter
  • 19484 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:31 PM

QUOTE(Shockwave 75 @ May 4 2012, 09:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Besides, what's the big deal if a parent accidentally buys the wrong one?

The problem isn't that parents can't tell them apart so they buy the wrong one.

The problem is that parents can't tell them apart so they buy one and then never buy any of the others because they're 100% confident their kid already has the gray and gold dinosaur.

QUOTE(orionpax44 @ Jun 24 2012, 01:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Childrens toys? whaa the boxes seriously say ages 5+ I consider myself the plus.
QUOTE(mx-01 archon @ Sep 9 2012, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're talking to ▲ndrusi. Assume everything that he posts is snark.

#389 Smitty

Smitty

Things and stuff

• MORON
  • 20145 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 05 May 2012 - 04:57 AM

OK Dinobot repaint/ retool ideas...

Grimlock in the Beast Megatron or Overkill

Swoop in to Terrorsaur

Snarl in to Slugfest

Slag in to Horri-Bull, maybe...

And I got nothing for Sludge.

I'm not a fan of voting on peoples posts. it just seems very passive aggressive to click 'down vote' and not add anything to the thread. and up votes are exactly the same. to my mind the whole point of a forum is discussion and being able to just easily agree or disagree takes the discussion out of the equation.

#390 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 9818 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:22 AM

QUOTE(Smitty @ May 5 2012, 05:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OK Dinobot repaint/ retool ideas...

Slag in to Horri-Bull, maybe...

Slag to Charger! That'd fit great and add to the super obscure Action Master legion. I'd buy that in a second!

Sludge... Sludge... Well there's always the Japanese Dino-force Apotosaur. Or Zaur. Or... I know it's a big change in alt-mode but I can kinda imagine Blot working.

-ZacWilliam, or if you really want to mix things up, I think Broadside is a great name for a sauropod.

EDIT: Ooo, How about ZOD!

Edited by ZacWilliam1, 05 May 2012 - 06:29 AM.

Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#391 Cabooceratops

Cabooceratops

Local Dinosaur Enthusiast

• Citizen
  • 7573 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:35 AM

I'd like to see Sludge in a deco inspired by the Armada Dinobots version.

#392 Somebody

Somebody
  • Citizen
  • 1849 posts
  • Faction::Vehicon

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:19 AM

QUOTE(Lukeblast @ May 5 2012, 01:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd wonder if the issue is that the dinosaurs ARE recognizable. It's not just getting Dinobots. It's what you do with them after. Repaints are the name of the game, and customers are practically trained to see a bunch of repainted cars as unique--that's pretty much the entire diecast aisle. I think repainted dinosaurs would be WAY harder to pass off as unique.

Well, Hasbro have been doing lots of (p)retools recently, some of which have been pretty significant - look at Thunderwing/Sky Shadow, Tracks/Wheeljack or FOC Jazz/Sideswipe for examples.

For Snarl, for instance, they could have a set of spikes as an alternate for the backplates (ala the back half of a Kentosaurus) and a remoulded dino-mode head.

The trickiest one would be, funnily enough, Grimlock. T-Rexes are far too famous to simply remould into another dino that won't just be "a slightly different T-Rex" to the LCD.

#393 lastmaximal

lastmaximal

Cyber Key Power...linx!

• Citizen
  • 8422 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:39 AM

Stunticons seems to be a decent idea. They populate waves with a lot of differently-colored cars as it is.

ho6m.png

SO OKAY IT'S AVERAGE

Virtually&nbsp;every custom as good as the title suggests!

#394 C16

C16

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• Citizen
  • 6609 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:42 AM

Strange question: before the panel the guys asked everyone to take a picture of then, since it would be the only picture they would let you take. Anyone have a picture of the design team?

#395 Smitty

Smitty

Things and stuff

• MORON
  • 20145 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:21 PM

They could give Sludge a retool and repaint in to Paddles.

I'm not a fan of voting on peoples posts. it just seems very passive aggressive to click 'down vote' and not add anything to the thread. and up votes are exactly the same. to my mind the whole point of a forum is discussion and being able to just easily agree or disagree takes the discussion out of the equation.

#396 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

Does this look like the face of mercy?

• Forum Moderator
  • 12531 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 03:53 PM

QUOTE(Database @ May 4 2012, 10:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Fnu Aw @ May 4 2012, 08:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Only if they design a version that can see past his own shoulders.

They could do something akin to the animation model.

QUOTE(Hora Hora @ May 4 2012, 10:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
scale of the individual vehicles isn't too bad

That's like saying a nuclear warhead isn't too bad compared to an asteroid impact.

Okay it's still bad, but I believe that modern Stunticon toys could be be made to be in scale with each other. It's not like the Combaticons where we have a jeep and a space shuttle as limbs.
QUOTE(Pocket @ Dec 26 2012, 02:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're turning into the real-life version of that little devil that hovers over people's shoulders and tells them to do horrible things. I'm not liking this development.

QUOTE(Cabooceratops @ Feb 20 2013, 06:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lesson of the day, when we go on some crazy quest, don't let Fnu Aw hold the Dues Ex Magical Artifact.

QUOTE(MyLittleEmpath @ Apr 14 2013, 11:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Right, that's it. Tomorrow, I'm painting a giant pentagram on the floor, then buying a goat and sacrificing it to Fnu Aw, Lord of All Evil.

#397 Rosicrucian

Rosicrucian

Frater

• Citizen
  • 5350 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 04:13 PM

The main reason Stunticons are so grossly out of scale with each other is because of the Scramble City "base mode" requirement. If you made Motormaster just a truck cab, it'd work out a lot more favorably I think.

#398 Shockwave 75

Shockwave 75

We need to get this place sprayed.

• Supporter
  • 4444 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 05 May 2012 - 04:49 PM

QUOTE(▲ndrusi @ May 4 2012, 10:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The problem is that parents can't tell them apart so they buy one and then never buy any of the others because they're 100% confident their kid already has the gray and gold dinosaur.

No, the problem is you conveniently left out the rest of the paragraph you quoted, especially the very next sentence:

....The kid will know the difference instantly. That's what reciepts are for! Just return it for the right one. And by-and-large, likely the only time that a parent/adult would be toy shopping for a kid without said kid being with them, would be at X-Mas or for their birthday, or any similar special occasion.

Mommy comes home and says "Here, Billy. This is the one you wanted right?"
"No, Mom, that's Slag! I already have him, see. I need to get Snarl, the stegosaurus."
"Ok, well we'll go back tomorrow and see if they have the right one. ok?"

It's not as if said parent is not going to try and get their kid the right toy. You make it seem as if people will go and buy only one figure, and the kid be dammed if he already has it, or it's not the right one.
This is why stores have return policies in the first place.

When you collect MISB/OSC, you're not collecting figures you're collecting boxes!

#399 Esser-Z

Esser-Z

IT'S AN ESSER

• Citizen
  • 30738 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 05:10 PM

QUOTE(Nanite @ Apr 29 2012, 03:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Database @ Apr 29 2012, 12:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Cheetimus Primal @ Apr 29 2012, 12:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
SDCC exclusives are not much more expensive than their retail counterparts, if at all. I don't see bruticus being more than $60 or $70 bucks. His box isn't fancy so it won't drive up the price like Cliffjumpers nutty boxing.

Till he sells out, and the only way to get one is through scalpers wanting to sell him for 2 or 3 times that price.

Oh Hai Nemesis Prime! (Or SDCC Sgt. Slaughter, or insert expensive SDCC exclusive here).

I recall one of the Nemesis Primes being $25, he said pages late.

#400 Daytonus

Daytonus

Boring

• Retired Staff
  • 11761 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 05 May 2012 - 05:12 PM

QUOTE(Shockwave 75 @ May 5 2012, 05:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(▲ndrusi @ May 4 2012, 10:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, the problem is you conveniently left out the rest of the paragraph you quoted, especially the very next sentence:

....The kid will know the difference instantly. That's what reciepts are for! Just return it for the right one. And by-and-large, likely the only time that a parent/adult would be toy shopping for a kid without said kid being with them, would be at X-Mas or for their birthday, or any similar special occasion.

Mommy comes home and says "Here, Billy. This is the one you wanted right?"
"No, Mom, that's Slag! I already have him, see. I need to get Snarl, the stegosaurus."
"Ok, well we'll go back tomorrow and see if they have the right one. ok?"

It's not as if said parent is not going to try and get their kid the right toy. You make it seem as if people will go and buy only one figure, and the kid be dammed if he already has it, or it's not the right one.
This is why stores have return policies in the first place.

I dunno, if I was the parent, I'd probably be like, 'I'm sorry, I'll get the right one next time." And then next time would just be the next time I got them a toy, which could be whenever. I wouldn't go back to swap.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users