#41 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron

Happy Nightmare Night!

• Supporter
  • 9420 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:48 PM

QUOTE(Cheetimus Primal @ Apr 25 2012, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So participating in the discussion from a viewpoint differing from yours and tacking on a joke (because I've never been known to joke around at all ever in the history of the Allspark) is taking it personally.

Noted. Thanks for telling me my opinion.

I don't really care whether someone uses it or not; as I said earlier it's mostly a matter of preference. But whether someone likes it or not has nothing to do with being a "grumpy old man"; but if that was a joke, fine. You'd be surprised how similar that comment is to ones in A/V forums when threads on this particular technology (motion interpolation, not 48fps filming) degenerates, as they do without fail.

But if what you want is ideal picture quality on Blu-Rays films, specifically, what you should have is a plasma. Even putting the black levels aside, their subfield drives allows them to actually display 24fps or 48fps or whatever natively; they can work in multiples of 24. On LCDs, you can't do that. They're a fixed-framerate technology, and all you can do is adjust the way in which the TV displays (or manipulates, in the case of TruMotion) the frames that are sent to it, whether that's 24, 25, 30, 50, 60, etc. I own LCDs, too, as they're just more convenient and I can live with the picture; but they're more of a stopgap until OLEDs are affordable and finally put plasma down for good.

What I want to know is when they're going to adjust the Blu-Ray standard to allow for 1080p/48, and if that willl require a new round of players or if it will be possible just via a firmware update. I doubt filming at 48fps is going to become all that commonplace in the immediate future, but Blu-Ray should be updated as soon as possible so that we can get these movies at home as close to the way they were shot as possible. 48fps is useless if you can only benefit at the theatre (though I do still enjoy the theatre in a way my living room can't recreate).

QUOTE(Aberration @ Apr 25 2012, 06:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This concerns me... I already have to jump through hoops to find 2D showings (well, that's overstating it, but basically, the theaters near me will usually have the first showing of the day in 2D, and that's it), and now I have to factor framerate into that too. Hopefully Fandango will be diligent about sorting it out.

I'm hoping it becomes the trend to advertise whether a showing is 24 or 48fps. Most theatres around here already have a particular branding they give to movies projected in Digital 4k, so I don't see why they shouldn't want to advertise the fact when something is projected @ 48fps, too.

Edited by TM2-Megatron, 25 April 2012 - 05:51 PM.

#42 Cheetimus Primal

Cheetimus Primal

Commissions! cheetimus@cheetimus.com

• Forum Moderator
  • 46540 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:11 PM

Ah, yeah. This is not an A/V forum. We're not half as up tight.

Welcome to the Allspark.
We've got real jokes.
16033035995_fdbb5bd884_o.jpg

#43 Hecate

Hecate

Why would you wear a mask in the mask squad?

• Citizen
  • 28397 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:43 PM

Eh, I play 60FPS games all the time.

This is going to matter to me about as much as the 3D thing IE not at all.

Turn left at any time with care

#44 D.M

D.M
  • Citizen
  • 1886 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:46 PM

QUOTE(Hora Hora @ Apr 26 2012, 01:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is it true that they overheat graphic cards?

#45 Hecate

Hecate

Why would you wear a mask in the mask squad?

• Citizen
  • 28397 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:56 PM

QUOTE(D.M @ Apr 26 2012, 09:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Hora Hora @ Apr 26 2012, 01:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is it true that they overheat graphic cards?

Not unless your computer lacks a fan or is wrapped in a carpet.

Turn left at any time with care

#46 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 28554 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:44 PM

I'm more concerned with how CGI studios will deal with it. They render per frame, after all, so doubling the frames doubles the render time, which slows down production or incurs the cost of extra render farms.
Fall of Cybertron will blow your mind. That is all.

#47 Pocket

Pocket

My name's Millions, and I'm a son of a Chipwich!

• Citizen
  • 1923 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:37 PM

QUOTE(Spark @ Apr 25 2012, 08:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm more concerned with how CGI studios will deal with it. They render per frame, after all, so doubling the frames doubles the render time, which slows down production or incurs the cost of extra render farms.

This. If they thought the Transformers were setting computers on fire now...
"Pinkie's brain is kind of like a supersonic missile without a targeting system." - Creature SH

"Pinkie Pie is not so much random as she is non-linear." - Dvandom

"I like Discord like this. He's gone from a villain to something more akin to a natural disaster." - Fnu Aw

#48 Robowang

Robowang
  • Citizen
  • 1005 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:59 AM

QUOTE(Cheetimus Primal @ Apr 24 2012, 09:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
True motion tends to make things look like they're moving more fluidly but it's still 2-D so it comes off as just odd. And when the frame rate is already low such as with none bluray movies it looks extra odd when the camera pans side to side as that tends to have a better frame rate than the film itself. If you're not used to it the effect can be jarring.
I expect it's really uncomfortable for those prone to motion sickness but I'm not one of those people so I'm just guessing.

This reminds me...the only show I've seen that just looks WEIRD to me is NCIS. Especially any time they pan. Something is just...strange. It looks really clear on other people's TVs...almost like "HD home video footage," or like I'm really seeing the people. But the panning is...weird.

Is that what the Trumotion thing is? Maybe I just don't have mine turned on and that's why my HD looks worse than others' HD? Or the ones in the stores?

Also, if I don't have any manuals, how do I find out if I have Trumotion or some equivilent? I have a Samsung 50" from about 5 years ago.

EDIT: This post coupled with me trying to hook up a DVD player in our bedroom and realizing the TV doesn't even have AV jacks is making me feel really old, and I'm only 30.

Edited by Robowang, 26 April 2012 - 12:01 PM.

Looking for One-Step Changers - Megatron, Prowl, Rollbar

My Wants List
Robowang's eBay Store - lots of TFs
My feedback

#49 skankerzero

skankerzero

Living in Brazil now!!!

• Citizen
  • 6272 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:34 PM

QUOTE(Robowang @ Apr 26 2012, 11:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This reminds me...the only show I've seen that just looks WEIRD to me is NCIS. Especially any time they pan. Something is just...strange. It looks really clear on other people's TVs...almost like "HD home video footage," or like I'm really seeing the people. But the panning is...weird.

That's because of 'digital panning'. It's when you're shot is too wide and the editor has to 'digitally pan the camera' over to the main focus.

A horrible example of it is the 4:3 version of 'Multiplicity'.
-----------
jesse sosa
owner / creative director
Dinosaur Games
studio art director
Samsung

#50 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron

Happy Nightmare Night!

• Supporter
  • 9420 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:34 PM

Although 24fps under the effects of motion interpolation can look a lot like digital panning some of the time ('cuz it almost is, if you think about it in a certain way), and that's one of the things I find most annoying about it.

QUOTE(Robowang @ Apr 26 2012, 12:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is that what the Trumotion thing is? Maybe I just don't have mine turned on and that's why my HD looks worse than others' HD? Or the ones in the stores?

Also, if I don't have any manuals, how do I find out if I have Trumotion or some equivilent? I have a Samsung 50" from about 5 years ago.

Samsung calls it "Auto Motion Plus", so that's what you'll want to look for in your TV's menus (usually somewhere in the Picture/Image area, and sometimes under an 'Advanced Settings' header), but if your TV is 5 years old it may just be a regular 60Hz set, and not capable of it. A model number would settle it. LG must be the most commonly owned brand by far, as its branding for motion interpolation has apparently come closest to being a generic term (TruMotion).

There's only one reason I really bought a 120Hz (and later, a 240Hz) since I never enable motion interpolation: 5:5 pulldown (though even on a 120Hz set, you need to make sure it's been programmed for it; not all are). A 60Hz set can't handle 24fps without 3:2 pulldown, which can be irritating, but 120Hz allows for an even frame cadence at 5 repeats per frame. A true 240Hz set should also allow for display of 48fps content with 5:5 pulldown, but unless it's a current model I wouldn't count on firmware updates for such functionality being forthcoming. They'll want people to buy new TVs.

Edited by TM2-Megatron, 26 April 2012 - 05:58 PM.

#51 Llwynoh

Llwynoh
  • Citizen
  • 514 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:58 PM

QUOTE(skankerzero @ Apr 26 2012, 02:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A horrible example of it is the 4:3 version of 'Multiplicity'.

lol, that was the first movie I ever noticed it in, now I see it everytime I crack out an old VHS. It's like someone sliding your Netflix window slowly to the right and left.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users