17 replies to this topic

#1 Sobana

Sobana

Destroyer of Love & Identity Thief

• MORON
  • 0 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:30 PM

Half-Life 2 is not what I expected, in the first game I was a scientist fighting his way through a secret lab trying to stop an inter-dimensional alien invasion, I thought for sure this game would follow suit like every other game does. But no, I am pleasantly surprised about how well the second game turned out so far.

I'm no longer trying to stop an invasion, they already won, I'm fighting for the resistance, I believe, they really aren't that clear on my overall objective so far. I think I'm suppose to stop this one guy in charge, but it looks more like I'm running away from him instead. Everyone I run into is in a hurry to get me some were, but I can't really say why yet.

All I know for sure so far is I'm being hunted down by the Civil Protection gas-mask neo-nazi squad in what I can only presume is the world capital of fuel barrel production. I mean there is an insane, unrealistic amount of explosive barrels every where. Each house has like three inside and there seems to be more barrels then I got ammo to shot them with. o.O

So far I love all the new weapons and game mechanics, the puzzles are fun and satisfying, the sensory is amazing, the music is great and I adore all the vehicle chases.

I can't wait to see how this is all going to end! =D <3
Spoiler

#2 Pocket

Pocket

My name's Millions, and I'm a son of a Chipwich!

• Citizen
  • 1763 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:09 PM

QUOTE(Sobana @ Apr 18 2012, 10:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'll have to remember to recommend a certain webcomic to you once you finish the game.All I know for sure so far is I'm being hunted down by the Civil Protection gas-mask neo-nazi squad in what I can only presume is the world capital of fuel barrel production. I mean there is an insane, unrealistic amount of explosive barrels every where. Each house has like three inside and there seems to be more barrels then I got ammo to shot them with. o.O

I'll have to remember to recommend a certain webcomic to you once you finish the game.
"Pinkie's brain is kind of like a supersonic missile without a targeting system." - Creature SH

"Pinkie Pie is not so much random as she is non-linear." - Dvandom

"I like Discord like this. He's gone from a villain to something more akin to a natural disaster." - Fnu Aw

#3 Slander

Slander

The boys are back!

• MORON
  • 0 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:37 PM

You really ought to consolidate your Adventures In Playing Games Everybody Else Beat Years Ago into one thread.

My first playthrough of HL2, I really felt like the vehicle sections were way too long. However, on subsequent playthroughs, they're my favorite parts. Are you also going to do the Episodes?

Edited by Slander, 19 April 2012 - 04:39 PM.

#4 ZeroX

ZeroX
  • Citizen
  • 1958 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:10 PM

Never played half-Life 1, but what I found amusing about Half-Life 2 is that you're part of the most ridiculously out-gunned and out-matched resistance movement seemingly ever portrayed in a video game. The reason you spend most of the game running away is because there's no hope of taking them head on. You'll see why later on when things really start to fall apart.

I'd like to think in real life most of us would also fight to the death against those kinds of odds to remove that "supression field" though.

#5 Sobana

Sobana

• MORON
  • 0 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:19 PM

QUOTE(Slander @ Apr 19 2012, 05:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You really ought to consolidate your Adventures In Playing Games Everybody Else Beat Years Ago into one thread.

That would be a silly thing to do, I want to discuss specific things about specific games. Why not complain about all the different Mass Effect threads running around? By that logic we shouldn't even have a game discussion sub-forum at all and just consolidate all threads into one topic =p Think of the money we will save that way! =D

Besides, not everyone can afford every new release each week. >.>

QUOTE(Zecora @ Apr 19 2012, 11:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Never played half-Life 1, but what I found amusing about Half-Life 2 is that you're part of the most ridiculously out-gunned and out-matched resistance movement seemingly ever portrayed in a video game. The reason you spend most of the game running away is because there's no hope of taking them head on. You'll see why later on when things really start to fall apart.

You should play the first one, even with it's age and lesser graphics, it is still more fun then *shudders* modern shooter games. The set up and ending of the first one is totally different to how the second game started.

That is a hard one to top, my guess would probably be odd world. I think it was pretty funny listening to the guy in charge yelling at his soldiers over the radio like "How can you not catch him? He is just a scientist! He is not a skilled assassin nor a special commando! And to the best of my knowledge he didn't take any covert training during his absence!"

QUOTE(Slander @ Apr 19 2012, 05:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are you also going to do the Episodes?

Of course! ^.^ There is just two of them, right?
Spoiler

#6 Hecate

Hecate

Literally the worst poster ever

• Citizen
  • 26665 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:21 PM

That would be a silly thing to do, I want to discuss specific things about specific games. Why not complain about all the different Mass Effect threads running around? By that logic we shouldn't even have a game discussion sub-forum at all and just consolidate all threads into one topic =p Think of the money we will save that way! =D

Don't be Hyperbolic. You're picking old games. You're playing them all in a sort of procession. Make a thread and save space.

99% of people fail to understand statistics. If you're one of the 23% who do, copy and paste this into your sig!

#7 skankerzero

skankerzero

Living in Brazil now!!!

• Citizen
  • 6097 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:00 AM

QUOTE(Sobana @ Apr 19 2012, 11:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

heh.

You make it sound like this game came out last year, not 8 years ago.
-----------
jesse sosa
owner / creative director
Dinosaur Games
studio art director
Samsung

#8 Undead Scottsman

Undead Scottsman

THANOSCOPTER

• Citizen
  • 9375 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:54 AM

Good lord, it nearly HAS been eight years, hasn't it.

That means it's been nearly five years since Episode 2...

#9 Nanite

Nanite

Imminently Ignorable

• Supporter
  • 4722 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:58 AM

Also kinda sad that I don't think there's been a better FPS since HL2. Good ones, certainly, some even excellent, but none better.
On them twitters

#10 Waspinator

Waspinator

Is that your final Dandy?

• Citizen
  • 20159 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:17 AM

Obviously, theoretical physicists have powers beyond the reach of mere mortals.

#11 Lizard King

Lizard King

I burned out my eyes, I cut off my tounge.

• Citizen
  • 9522 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:34 AM

I always felt like this game was really overrated. The gravity gun is the coolest part. And my god, I don't know how many times that hugging boat thing made me rage quit.

#12 ultra magnus13

ultra magnus13

Razzaroo

• Citizen
  • 5663 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:56 PM

QUOTE(Lizard King @ Apr 20 2012, 03:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I always felt like this game was really overrated. The gravity gun is the coolest part. And my god, I don't know how many times that hugging boat thing made me rage quit.

Agreed. It does some neat stuff, and presents some stuff in interesting ways. The actual core of the game play isn't very satisfying. Combat feels generic and boring most the time.
I finally got rid of that big white box.

#13 Nanite

Nanite

Imminently Ignorable

• Supporter
  • 4722 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:58 PM

Those that don't like it, were you playing on a console? I've heard from friends that the console ports are not very good.
On them twitters

#14 Lizard King

Lizard King

I burned out my eyes, I cut off my tounge.

• Citizen
  • 9522 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:53 PM

QUOTE(ultra magnus13 @ Apr 20 2012, 01:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Lizard King @ Apr 20 2012, 03:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed. It does some neat stuff, and presents some stuff in interesting ways. The actual core of the game play isn't very satisfying. Combat feels generic and boring most the time.

Totally agree. And yeah, I played it once a few years ago, and then again recently, both times on consoles. My problems with the game can't be attributed to it being a bad port. I mainly just didn't find it to be that interesting or original.

#15 skankerzero

skankerzero

Living in Brazil now!!!

• Citizen
  • 6097 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:31 PM

Well, at the time, it was very original with it's use of physics.

If you're only getting around to it within the past couple years, then yes, it wouldn't be that original anymore.
-----------
jesse sosa
owner / creative director
Dinosaur Games
studio art director
Samsung

#16 Nanite

Nanite

Imminently Ignorable

• Supporter
  • 4722 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:38 PM

I think bad port is legitimate complaint. I recommended the Orange box highly to a friend, who only had a PS3. He bought it, and it was kinda junk. Didn't look as good as the pc verion, invisible walls everywhere, controls kinda sucked.

It think it's also a very PC-style, game. The pacing, the tropes, they're all sort of come from a different style of play and worldbuilding.
On them twitters

#17 Slander

Slander

The boys are back!

• MORON
  • 0 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:22 PM

That would be a silly thing to do, I want to discuss specific things about specific games.

That's just it; these threads aren't about discussing the games. If that were the case, you'd just post in the already-extant threads for those franchises. These threads are about your experiences playing through older games. They're you wanting to talk about yourself, not you wanting to talk about games.

Of course! ^.^ There are just two of them, right?

Unfortunately. icon-screamer.gif

#18 Sobana

Sobana

• MORON
  • 0 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:33 PM

I didn't even realize the game was eight years old, it didn't feel that old. The ending was just crazy. It leaves so many questions I'm sure would get answered in the following episodes.

QUOTE(Slander @ Apr 20 2012, 04:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That would be a silly thing to do, I want to discuss specific things about specific games.

That's just it; these threads aren't about discussing the games. If that were the case, you'd just post in the already-extant threads for those franchises. These threads are about your experiences playing through older games. They're you wanting to talk about yourself, not you wanting to talk about games.

Those ones are for people who already beat it and want to discuss what happened, not for people who are excited about playing it for the first time and want the experience to be spoiler free. Those conversations usually go...

Me: Hey, I'm playing this game for the first time, looks great! =D

You Guys: Yeah, don't play it. The guy dies at the end.

Me: Wha...?

You Guys: It was totally obvious that one guy was the traitor.

Me: Huh?

You Guys: It is a shame how your love interest died.

Me: ...Please, no spoilers...

You Guys: Psst, this game is X years old. If you don't want spoilers don't come to this thread then.

Me: ... QQ

QUOTE(Hora Hora @ Apr 20 2012, 12:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't be Hyperbolic. You're picking old games. You're playing them all in a sort of procession. Make a thread and save space.

That would be in interesting idea, how would that even work? Call it "First play though of old games everyone already beat and no one really wants to discuss" Meh, I'm sure I can work on the title later. It just seems weird to me to have a thread that talks about Mass Effect, then talk about Half-Life, then talk about how easy Halo Legendary mode is. Honestly, it feels to egoistical to have a single thread focus solely on what I'm currently playing. But, I see your point. Makes me wonder why there isn't just a general game thread, I guess I should make that too. It is better to solve a problem then let it continue and all the non-sense, you know.

On the subject of saving room, I would like to point out there are already three Zelda discussion topics going on on the first page and I'm sure there are more lurking further pages back. You might want to get on that too.
Spoiler

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users