30 replies to this topic

#1 NICK TYRANNO

NICK TYRANNO

Live Free or Dinosaur.

• Supporter
  • 10521 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:14 PM

I used to read a bunch of comics (mainly marvel and independent titles, vertigo stuff, earth a.d. and other, older books) and eventually grew bored with what had been coming out. I still read up on synopsis' and reviews to stay within the know, but I rarely find a reason to pick up an odd book or whatever and get involved again.

So, any property, any company, what books are you really enjoying right now? What books should I get off my ass, pick up, and then sit back on my ass and read?

Edited by NICKSTART, 18 April 2012 - 07:16 PM.

#2 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 35041 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:17 PM

If you haven't yet, I really recommend tracking down and reading Sandman Mystery Theatre. It's a great window into the past of comics.
 photo lup_zps837154f7.jpg
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. –Plato

#3 Goblez

Goblez
  • Supporter
  • 12164 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:19 PM

the new Animal man series is great. I also really enjoyed Spider Island even though I had not read spider-man in a long time

#4 Hecate

Hecate

Beyond the Bounds

• Citizen
  • 28235 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:21 PM

One Piece.

superliminalsubliminalliminal

#5 Cabooceratops

Cabooceratops

Local Shipping Enthusiast

• Citizen
  • 8660 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:23 PM

Archie's Megaman.

Fun, simple, enjoyable, and well worth picking up. icon-hotrod.gif

#6 Lizard King

Lizard King

I burned out my eyes, I cut off my tounge.

• Citizen
  • 9523 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:56 PM

Pretty much everything I had been reading recently I've given up on because they just keep getting worse and worse. However, I will echo the sentiment for swamp thing and animal man. I'll also throw in my recommendation for daredevil and a dark horse book called orchid, that happens to be written by Tom morello.

Oh, and wolverine and the x-men

Edited by Lizard King, 18 April 2012 - 07:58 PM.

#7 Solarstorm

Solarstorm
  • Citizen
  • 6933 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:01 PM

Ifnyou are not already reading the two IDW TF ongoings, definitely pick them up. They're good comics and great TF stories.

The relaunch of Daredevil, by Mark Waid, is fantastic. It's fairly new and the current one-month crossover with Spiderman and Punisher has been a success, story-wise. Few crossovers can claim that.

Spider-Island and most, if not all, of Slott's Amazing Spider-Man. There were some solid stories in the BND era as well.

Wolverine and the Xmen is a good book as well. Easily, my favorite of the main Xbooks (aside from the kinda-sorta X book: X Factor).

"The way YOU are built lends itself to similarly big weapons. Magnus by comparison is a girly man."--Bainreese

#8 Lizard King

Lizard King

• Citizen
  • 9523 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:12 PM

I feel like x-factor has gotten a little stale. Peter David might wanna give up the reigns. X-force is still really solid too. Rick remender is very talented. Check out fear agent by him, if you haven't already.

#9 Static Signal

Static Signal

This is my summer home

• Citizen
  • 7866 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:49 PM

I actually just last week dropped a whole bunch of the Marvel comics I was reading. I was tired of 5 different titles to the X-Men franchise alone...not even including the X-Force, X-Factor, New Mutants et al. And it was hard to decide which ones to drop too. I liked Wolverine, which means Wolverine and the X-Men. I liked Psylocke, which meant Uncanny. I liked Rogue, which meant Legacy. It was just too much money to keep up with every month along with my other comics. So...long story short (too late?)...I absolutey do NOT recommend ANY of the X-books. If they ever decide to trim things down to one or two titles...I might consider picking them back up. Until then, I recommend staying as far away as possible.

I've turned to DC for now: Supergirl, Catwoman, Batgirl. Or just pick whatever character you like. DC seems to be better at not having to read a whole bunch of titles just to get the full story of what's going on in one.

I'm also reading TMNT from IDW like Spengs. But like he said, it's a bit of a niche comic. I'm a big fan of the TMNT. I like the way they're taking the turtles. But the decompressed pacing and trying to jump on in the middle of things kind of makes it not for everyone.

Not terribly helpful I know. Mostly just told you what not to buy. But honestly (and having been a Marvel fanboy for most of my comic collectin carreer, I never thought I'd say this) finding a couple DC comics may be the way to go. I'm collecting Supergirl, Catwoman and Batgirl. But I'm sure Batman, Superman or any of the others would be just as good.
New screen name, new avatar, new title, new sig...I just don't know who I am anymore!

#10 Internet Jesus

Internet Jesus

Ziggy Stardust and the Soul Survivors

• Citizen
  • 19007 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:56 PM

Jonathan Hickman's Fantastic Four/FF saga has been amazing thus far.

Start with Dark Reign: FF, Fantastic Four 570-current and FF 1-current

#11 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 2957 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:18 PM

The only Marvel comics I really, really can't wait to read the next issues of are Amazing Spider-Man and Thunderbolts. T-Bolts is just amazing at characterization; you can feel how desperate the characters are.

DC, I dropped Aquaman to pick up Legion Lost after Gates returned and I'm still not having fun with the book.

Image's The Walking Dead and Invincible are good reads but you have to catch up with about 40 issues of back history.

Sonic's two titles are actually the comics I get the most enjoyment out of reading. You just know the writer loves the universe and it oozes from the pages. Mega Man is a lot of fun too but slightly trapped in formula. I don't mind cuz im a game fan but regular readers might not get into it.

#12 Spectre

Spectre

Full of joy.

• Retired Staff
  • 7963 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:08 PM

IDW's Ghostbusters is probably the best comic I read. It's filled with winks for long time fans, but everything is presented in a way that won't alienate somebody who has only seen the movies. It's really fantastic.

Dan Slott's Amazing Spider-Man run is pretty great. I'd recommend picking up 680-681, as it's a pretty self-contained two part story. Great banter between Johnny Storm and Spidey, in space! It'll give you a good idea whether you want to go back further or continue reading.

DC's new Batman (Just "Batman") is really phenomenal too. I've not read any Batman comics ever, and I picked it right up and don't feel like I'm missing anything super important. It's a great, great Batman tale.

#13 Phage

Phage

I... I'm sorry.

• Retired Staff
  • 9112 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:49 PM

I'm going to 3rd IDW's Ghostbusters, because it's honestly that good.

And I'm going to put Demon Knights out if you're a fan of D&D/Conan/Fantasy adventuring - issue #1 even brings the group together in a tavern, HA. It has my favorite representation of Vandal Savage I've ever seen in media.

Edited by Matthias Phage, 19 April 2012 - 04:50 PM.

76561198045115041.pngAddFriend.png

#14 Nevermore

Nevermore

Unionized and proud of it.

• Supporter
  • 9297 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:14 AM

ASTRO CITY

Seriously. It's awesome.

#15 Phil McFarty

Phil McFarty
  • MORON
  • 0 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:56 AM

Anything by Kirkman. I love the superhero genre, and I think Kirkman is doing some spectacular stuff.
I'd also like to second Astro City, Another really fun read. I'd say anything by Busiek is good, though.

#16 Devcon

Devcon

It takes a lot to make a stew

• Forum Moderator
  • 10302 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:11 PM

QUOTE(Matthias Phage @ Apr 19 2012, 05:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And I'm going to put Demon Knights out if you're a fan of D&D/Conan/Fantasy adventuring - issue #1 even brings the group together in a tavern, HA. It has my favorite representation of Vandal Savage I've ever seen in media.

This. A thousand times this. Demon Knights is possibly my favorite DCnU series, topped possibly only by JLI. Though Batman is a strong contender with the Court of Owls storyline.

#17 Lizard King

Lizard King

• Citizen
  • 9523 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:31 AM

I just started reading the '90s Starman series, and it's pretty fantastic so far

#18 Vestras

Vestras

Stone by Day, Friendship by Night

• Supporter
  • 8459 posts
  • Faction::Vehicon

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:09 PM

Marvel's Runaways, especially the original 3 volumes and Dead End Kids (the Joss run). Easily my favorite comic series of all time.

Both IDW Transformers on-goings have been gangbusters thus far.

I'd recommend JMS' work outside of One More Day typically.
Clearing out some old TFs and Mugenbine in my BST Thread. You know you want some of these.

#19 Zodberg

Zodberg

The doctor is in.

• Citizen
  • 14042 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 04:33 PM

JMS's and Sean McKeever's stuff at Marvel ranges from good to great to great with considerable editorial interference.
their DC work was never up to standard.
Woooo!

#20 StarscreamX

StarscreamX
  • Citizen
  • 7835 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:24 AM

Some of this has already been mentioned but it needs to seconded (or thirded or fourthed, etc.) and some you've probably read but here goes anyways...

Ongoing
Jonathan Hickman's Fantastic Four/ FF stuff
Robert Kirkman's stuff (really just Invincible and Walking Dead)
Dan Slott's Spider-Man
Scott Snyder's Batman (1- current, also the last issues of the pre-NuDC Detective Comics)
Rick Remender's Uncanny X-Force
Mark Waid's Daredevil
Avengers Academy
Scalped (soon to be finished up though so you might want to wait until it's over)
American Vampire (also written by Scott Snyder)
SHIELD (also by Jonathan Hickman, currently in the middle of volume 2)
Journey into Mystery
Wolverine and the X-Men (though with the whole Avengers vs. X-Men thing going on it's probably going to start sucking soon but everything previous to now has been great fun)
Axe Cop (both online and in print)

Completed
James Robinson's Starman
Fabio Moon and Gabriel Ba's Daytripper (a ten issue Vertigo mini that should be readily available at Amazon)
Brian Vaughn's Ex Machina (love it much more than Y the Last Man)
Garth Ennis' Hitman
All-Star Superman (12 issues)
Warren Ellis' Planetary
Greg Pak's Incredible Hulk (everything from Planet Hulk to the end of the Incredible series, I think. It gets kinda crappy once Red Hulk is introed though)
We3
Secret Warriors (also by Jonathan Hickman, it's good but it feels rushed at point but it's the best Nick Fury story I've read)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users