The Legend of Dragoon Coming to PSN

4 replies to this topic

#1 Goblez

Goblez
  • Supporter
  • 12045 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:21 PM

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/04/11/...reborn-may-1st/

The Legend of Dragoon was one of the last projects I worked on as a producer in Japan Studio and by far the biggest team I managed hands-on. We started the project in 1996 with only a handful of people, hired one by one as we were building up teams for Ape Escape, The Legend of Dragoon, and Ico simultaneously. During the peak of the game?s development, we had well over 100 people working internally in the studio on The Legend of Dragoon ? for a PSone game! We had roughly 10 artists dedicated just to drawing concept art for this gigantic RPG. As the game contained lots of pre-rendered maps and full-motion videos, we were forced to spread the content over four CDs, which was the maximum number of discs that the fattest PSone game case could hold.

It took nearly three years to build the team and develop the game, which was released in December 1999 in Japan and June 2000 in the US. As I moved from Japan to the US in March 2000, I was able to personally handle the game?s release in both Japan and the US. Following the game?s launch in Japan, we learned from players that certain parts of the game were too difficult. The team re-balanced the gameplay for the release outside of Japan, so the US version was the complete version of the game that we were all proud of.

I still occasionally hear from fans of The Legend of Dragoon, and many want to know if there is a sequel. LOD2 was put into preproduction after I left the Japan Studio, but was eventually cancelled for some unknown reason, and the team members moved on to different projects. Some people still work in the Japan Studio, so we talk about the memories of developing LOD when we see each other at company functions.

It?s great to see the game being prepared for release as a PSone Classic on PSN, which means that fans can revisit the world whenever they want. Maybe it?ll make a new fans, too. Long live LOD!

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay....I hope Euro PSN gets it at the same time >.>

#2 Lizard King

Lizard King

I burned out my eyes, I cut off my tounge.

• Citizen
  • 9523 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:57 PM

THats amazing, I cannot wait. Is it wrong that Im still hopeful for a sequel?

#3 Goblez

Goblez
  • Supporter
  • 12045 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:27 PM

QUOTE(Lizard King @ Apr 12 2012, 08:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

THats amazing, I cannot wait. Is it wrong that Im still hopeful for a sequel?

maybe if it gets enough downloads.

I always loved the game but I remember a lot of game reviewers were ripping into it hard back when it came out. guess they still wanted every RPG to be FF7 or some jive :/

#4 Murry

Murry

Too insane to care.

• Retired Staff
  • 6893 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:56 AM

Oh god. I remember loving this game when it came out. But I also remember it being rather painful to play at times. One of those odd mixtures of a game where good and bad seemed to be in constant flux.

I want to get it. but i have to many PS1 classics that I don't play already. x.x

#5 mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon

The world suffused with sound

• Supporter
  • 17257 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:08 AM

I'm assuming there's no chance of this game being re-translated and re-dubbed?

Then, at least, it would be reach some level of mediocrity, instead of simply being horribly bad...

Seriously, the game makes at least one horrible misstep for every one thing it does right, has a terribly cliched plot, and was seemingly translated by a guy who had no clue how real people talk. It's a shallow, repetitive grind-fest, except that to add insult to injury, the grinding in and of itself has little reward. But it forces you to do it anyways, because of an absurdly high encounter rate. And a blasted inventory system that forces you to juggle through the menus more than you actually seem to play the game for.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users