- - - - -

Would you like another TF "build it figure"?

25 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Sodomous Prime_*

Guest_Sodomous Prime_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:42 PM

Would you like another TF "build it figure"?

I ask this question because last week. I noticed Marvel was still doing the "build it figure" parts inside other toy packages thing.

yes,I don't see the harm in it,as it's free & included inside another TF toy I buy.

Transmute was a bit of a dissapointment & rather a obsecure/un-popular/lack-luster choice.

I'd prefer the "build it figure" transform into a alt mode. even if it's a extremly simplistic transformation challenge.
I'd like the build it figure to be at least voyager sized,maybe bigger. instead of including the "build it figure" in 6 different TF toy packages,how about including the parts in 10 different TF toys packages.

I prefer another TF "Build it figure" that's a bit more popular & less obsecure. like as follows: G-1 Arcee,G-1 Ravage,Alpha Trion,G-1 Galvatron,G-1 Grimlock

#2 Professor

Professor
  • Citizen
  • 4035 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:52 PM

I'd like the build it figure to be at least voyager sized,maybe bigger. instead of including the "build it figure" in 6 different TF toy packages,how about including the parts in 10 different TF toys packages.

While I like the idea, it would be especially difficult to implement for a toy that has to transform. Also, voyagers are quite a bit larger than a deluxe, so a voyager-sized toy would be a lot of extra plastic (and expense). Remember, even split among ten toys, a $20 toy is adding roughly $2 to the cost of every other toy, for an accessory that will be useless to the vast majority of toy buyers who won't buy nearly enough toys to complete the set.

This also works directly against the current case-assignment model in which not all toys are shipped in even amounts. You are literally guaranteeing wasted parts if there are more arms out there than legs.

And, all that's for a voyager toy that will likely be significantly compromised by the need to be splittable into 10 roughly-equal parts.

*edit* But, to be clear, I'd love the idea if it could actually be done at negligible extra cost to the base toy, and be meaningfully completeable, and produce a decent (or at least interesting) toy in the end. I'd imagine that those standards are impossible to meet, but conceptually it would be great fun, I think.

*edit*edit* A thought -- Micromaster combiners would ship well this way. That way, you're not getting a completely useless part even if you never get the set, but the set gives you something cool, too. Perhaps the combiner kibble could be fashioned to also be weapons for the main toys, so that the kibble bits could be their own pack-in component.

Edited by Professor, 09 April 2012 - 09:56 PM.

#3 Gryllid

Gryllid

Not a Real Fan

• Supporter
  • 1427 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:04 PM

Build-a-figures are only fun if I were going to buy all the necessary toys anyway, or maybe all but one. I'm not a completist in any toy line anymore, so BAFs just mean I end up with a bunch of parts. I'd rather they just, you know, sell the toy individually and let me buy it or not.

I can still sort of understand the desire, though -- kind of like how I miss Robot Points, even though you just ended up paying more than the toy is is worth anyway.

#4 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Citizen
  • 17284 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:15 PM

The figures we got the parts in would either have to be 100% brand new or different enough from previous releases to justify making the purchase.

What ruined the Beast Wars anniversary packs for me was the fact that I already had the vintage releases of a few of the figures in the assortment.

Thus, I was faced with the prospect of either not getting everyone and so not getting all of the parts for Transmutate or getting all the parts for Transmutate but having duplicate figures.
Lexicon: still up and running!

"At my last intern briefing, Craig was clearly tired. His message had changed to, "Stay out of trouble, period." It seemed that, as director of security, Livingstone was growing old fast. If he didn't watch out, he'd become one of us - a 'Mormon' or a 'straight,' which is what Clinton staffers called FBI agents, the Secret Service, and former Bush employees."

Aldrich, Gary. Unlimited Access Washington D.C.: Regency, 1996. Pg 38

Please visit my Half.com store

Deviant Art page

#5 Cat

Cat
  • News and Content
  • 9600 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:20 PM

I just can't see it working for Transformers.

#6 Kalidor

Kalidor

Get some!

• Owner
  • 55510 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:23 PM

I think it would be pretty neat. I also think it could be done with a character that a lot of people want but wouldn't be practical to try to sell on its own.

I know the Quintessons are pretty much shunted out of the mythos these days, but that kind of non transforming character would be an ideal candidate for a build a figure. A face and body slice in 5 different Generations figures that you'd build into a Quintesson would be quite cool. Imagine if Kup, Hot Rod, Cyclonus, Scourge and Wreck-Gar all came with a part. That would be thematic and figures that everyone would want. And there's really not a whole lot of engineering that needs to go into making 5 faces and a back that snaps onto identical backs with other faces.

On the other hand you could go the "Build and Action Master" route and take any character and design them like you would any modern action figure but it would be a posable, non transforming representation with good articulation, good paint and good detail.

#7 corgsopal

corgsopal

It was catastro-, catastro-feeling good

• Supporter
  • 5043 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:36 PM

I want Fall of Cybertron Build A Figures. You buy a FoC figure and get a custom part that can be used to make one of the multiplayer body types. Each of the classes- scientist, scout, soldier and leader could be broken into 4 parts that you could mix and match. The transformations would have to be semi-compatible, but the accessories (wings, wheels, guns, spoilers, heads, etc.) could all be on 5 mm pegs and c-clips so you could spread them out.
Reclaim the suffix.

#8 mignash

mignash
  • MORON
  • 0 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:39 AM

Autobot X works for me.

Edited by mignash, 12 April 2012 - 08:13 PM.

#9 Darth_Prime

Darth_Prime
  • Citizen
  • 4887 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:17 AM

Do it like they are the gum with Fort Max. Release each limb as a base for the Cyberverse dudes and then the combined mode is a 3ft tall Fort Max....

#10 dcjosh

dcjosh

Josh

• Citizen
  • 5476 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:43 AM

id take a build-a-figure PRIME Unicron plzkthx

-Click to view my Digital Portfolio-

#11 Weremole

Weremole

Ah, what the heck. What is in a name?

• Citizen
  • 5851 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:17 AM

QUOTE(God Fire Convoy @ Apr 10 2012, 07:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
id take a build-a-figure PRIME Unicron plzkthx

Prime Unicron is a Cyberverse playset just waiting to happen so I doubt it.

#12 Shockwave 75

Shockwave 75
  • Supporter
  • 4682 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:25 AM

QUOTE(Gryllid @ Apr 9 2012, 11:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Build-a-figures are only fun if I were going to buy all the necessary toys anyway, or maybe all but one. I'm not a completist in any toy line anymore, so BAFs just mean I end up with a bunch of parts. I'd rather they just, you know, sell the toy individually and let me buy it or not.

I can still sort of understand the desire, though -- kind of like how I miss Robot Points, even though you just ended up paying more than the toy is is worth anyway.

This basically how I feel too.

I only bought 3 of the 10th ann BW figures because that's all I needed so I never got a whole Transmutate. And I don't buy figures that I don't need or want, so a BAF wouldn't really be an inducement for me to buy any more figures.

QUOTE(Kalidor @ Apr 9 2012, 11:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think it would be pretty neat. I also think it could be done with a character that a lot of people want but wouldn't be practical to try to sell on its own.

I know the Quintessons are pretty much shunted out of the mythos these days, but that kind of non transforming character would be an ideal candidate for a build a figure. A face and body slice in 5 different Generations figures that you'd build into a Quintesson would be quite cool. Imagine if Kup, Hot Rod, Cyclonus, Scourge and Wreck-Gar all came with a part. That would be thematic and figures that everyone would want. And there's really not a whole lot of engineering that needs to go into making 5 faces and a back that snaps onto identical backs with other faces.

This though, would be a good idea! I've always thought that Death's Head would have been a good BAF too.

14505516453_93ecb79ea9_n.jpg forum_banner.jpg
"The objective truths of the world are controversial only to people who are both under-informed and who like to argue." - Neil deGrasse Tyson

#13 NightViper

NightViper

Ehhhhh...

• Public Relations
  • 34286 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:23 AM

QUOTE(Shockwave 75 @ Apr 10 2012, 10:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've always thought that Death's Head would have been a good BAF too.

Well, we're getting a non-BAF Death's Head from the Marvel toy line next year.

Good enough, yes?

#14 Smitty

Smitty

Things and stuff

• MORON
  • 20145 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:34 AM

Aren't they making a BaF Bruticus?

I'm not a fan of voting on peoples posts. it just seems very passive aggressive to click 'down vote' and not add anything to the thread. and up votes are exactly the same. to my mind the whole point of a forum is discussion and being able to just easily agree or disagree takes the discussion out of the equation.

#15 gargunkle

gargunkle

super-duper spikey-pokey

• Citizen
  • 4891 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:22 PM

I could be interested in build-a-figure. I didn't get Transmutate because 1) don't really like Transmutate and 2) didn't buy any of that series of BW figures. But overall I approve of the idea.

I did end up with some odds and ends of BAF that I'd never complete. For example I think I got a Pitt arm or leg when I bought Madman from some "Legendary Heroes" type series. Ended up finding someone who wanted it, I just wanted to see it go to a good home instead of throwing it out.

I don't approve of BAF if it noticeably raises the cost of the figure.
QUOTE(kyde)
Not my finest work, but when life gives you lemons, they're yellow so just paint black stripes on them and call them Bumblebee. Kids will buy them.

#16 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

hug Destron

• Citizen
  • 22511 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:37 PM

yeah I'd rather they gave us a set of figures that were completely independent... but then have mail away "gestalt parts" that you'd use these things called robot points for...

you'd cut them off the back of the cards and mail them in if you got the whole set and hasbro would ship you out..oh i don't know:

A head, Set of Shoulder extensions, chest plate, fists and forearms, feet and thighs.. oh and a real big gun
18+ returns in 2 weeks.

#17 Servitor 2152

Servitor 2152

Dancing helper-bot

• Citizen
  • 1858 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:48 PM

QUOTE(Smitty @ Apr 10 2012, 10:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If by BaF you mean "five separate Deluxes that all peg together into one giant figure", then yes. He's not a random body part packaged with a completely unrelated figure, a la Transmutate, the Marvel Legends BaFs or the Star Wars Create-A-Droid series.

Interested in getting TFSS 3.0 Carzap, Nacelle, or G2 Starscream for $50 plus shipping?  PM me if so.

#18 Skullgrin2014

Skullgrin2014
  • Citizen
  • 2447 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:32 PM

This would probably work more better... If you had that a pack in weapon, that could mix and match with other weapons. Sort of like Energon. But done a bit slightly better than that.

I mean the weapons were just designed to peg to each other. Actually combinable weapons. To make something that actually looks like a larger weapons would be cool.

As for a buld a figure. It'd have to be designed to be sturdier than a normal tf. Which I figure would make transformation more taxing and such.

It would be neat if we got a customizable tf though. Swappable heads and weapons. To make different characters.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Smolder-and-his-pal-Chopster/1497598050488573

#19 Smitty

Smitty

Things and stuff

• MORON
  • 20145 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:18 PM

QUOTE(Servitor 2152 @ Apr 10 2012, 02:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Smitty @ Apr 10 2012, 10:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If by BaF you mean "five separate Deluxes that all peg together into one giant figure", then yes. He's not a random body part packaged with a completely unrelated figure, a la Transmutate, the Marvel Legends BaFs or the Star Wars Create-A-Droid series.

I know all that. My point is BaFs would not work well with Transformers and why what we have so may price points do we need BaFs to get bigger bots?

I'm not a fan of voting on peoples posts. it just seems very passive aggressive to click 'down vote' and not add anything to the thread. and up votes are exactly the same. to my mind the whole point of a forum is discussion and being able to just easily agree or disagree takes the discussion out of the equation.

#20 BlackMax

BlackMax

Certified Killjoy

• Citizen
  • 1198 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:34 PM

QUOTE(Gryllid @ Apr 9 2012, 11:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Totally agreed... although if they ever did it again I probably ~would~ just go for it, but I'm quite easy to entice with ~any~ plastic robots... probably why I have like 6 different movie-mold 'Bees.

Now everyone knows my secret shame!
Sky-Byte is my spirit animal.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users