22 replies to this topic

#1 Zek

Zek

Resident Goober

• Supporter
  • 7208 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:41 PM

So somehow I stumbled into this information...I forget how. But it seems that for the past 2 weeks or so, Cartoon Network has been airing brand new episodes of Cartoon Planet on Friday nights.

Ala the good ol Cartoon Cartoon Fridays, it features 90s to 2000s cartoons such as Dexter's Lab, Courage, Ed, Edd, n Eddy, Flapjack, Chowder, Cow & Chicken, and several others. In between cartoons are skits by Zorak and Brak.

So the point is: This seems awesome. Why was I not told of this?

This seems to tie in with the whole Toonami April fools thing as well (which may be making a comeback).

Thoughts?

#2 Mark Pellegrini

Mark Pellegrini

TMNT Entity guy

• Citizen
  • 13593 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:51 PM

I've missed it the past two weeks because I work Friday nights. Space Ghost isn't in the commercials; is he in the show?
TMNT Entity
Ninja Turtle comic reviews, essays, articles and more!

-Mark Pellegrini

#3 Confuzor

Confuzor

Now put em in Smash Bros!

• Supporter
  • 4919 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 03:24 PM

If'n it doesn't have this as the ending song, there was no point in doing this in the first place. Srs bsns. Fer realz.

#4 Kevin S

Kevin S

Unswerving in my duties

• Supporter
  • 3429 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:17 PM

It might just be a sort of month long April fools thing. Once April is over, it might go away.
My FlickR folder...

And yes, I was too lazy to come up with a decent TF related forum name, and just *GASP* used my own.

#5 Sprocket

Sprocket

Problematic.

• Citizen
  • 7968 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:38 PM

I didn't say anything about it because I figured that I'd be the only one here that cared. Also I'm still having a hard time believing they brought the show back, because aside from some new backgrounds, the sketches could honestly belong right alongside the old show. I was the biggest fan of Cartoon Planet back in the day, and I'm seriously thrilled it's back, for realsies!

Luckily, Cartoon Network was nice enough to upload all the sketches from the first episode. (Including the theme song and closing theme, which they use in every episode.)

No luck finding the second episode's sketches yet, though.

QUOTE(DrSpengler @ Apr 8 2012, 03:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Space Ghost isn't in the commercials; is he in the show?

Unfortunately, George Lowe has apparently 'retired' from the role, he's living in Florida and recording bumpers for a rock radio station in Boston. Also they had to re-draw every frame from the old animation in Flash to work in HD, and re-animating Space Ghost and all his mouth movements was way more effort and required way more budget money than they had.

QUOTE(Confuzor @ Apr 8 2012, 04:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If'n it doesn't have this as the ending song, there was no point in doing this in the first place. Srs bsns. Fer realz.

Unfortunately, Rhino Records owns the rights to all of the old Cartoon Planet's old background music, which is why the last two episodes have had songs that aren't...quite as memorable.

But honestly? It's Brak and Zorak being goofy again for the first time since the Brak Show. I'm willing to settle.
Being part of any fandom is fundamentally embarassing.

#6 Mark Pellegrini

Mark Pellegrini

TMNT Entity guy

• Citizen
  • 13593 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:06 PM

QUOTE(Sprocket @ Apr 8 2012, 05:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Unfortunately, George Lowe has apparently 'retired' from the role, he's living in Florida and recording bumpers for a rock radio station in Boston. Also they had to re-draw every frame from the old animation in Flash to work in HD, and re-animating Space Ghost and all his mouth movements was way more effort and required way more budget money than they had.

That's a bummer. He does those LEGO commercials, but those are probably the only things I've heard him do since he played himself on Aqua Teen (and before that, reprised Space Ghost for the Aqua Teen movie).

Ah well. Brak 'n Zorak are good enough!

One of the things I loved about the original Cartoon Planet was that they'd comment on some of the cartoons they reran in-between skits, so it was almost a "kid's Beavis and Butthead", in its own way. I remember in reruns, they'd sometimes cut the cartoons out and do nothing but skits, and the show didn't work as well for me (again, like watching Beavis and Butthead without the music videos).

This stuff looks classic, though, and it's funny to see them basically running cartoons that were brand new when the original Cartoon Planet aired.

Edited by DrSpengler, 08 April 2012 - 06:41 PM.

TMNT Entity
Ninja Turtle comic reviews, essays, articles and more!

-Mark Pellegrini

#7 BlitzwingHaz

BlitzwingHaz

"Wooo! I'm freaking out!"

• Citizen
  • 15457 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:01 PM

Never heard of this but I found it pretty funny.

#8 Sprocket

Sprocket

Problematic.

• Citizen
  • 7968 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:22 PM

Yeah, it's a bummer that only the USA and Latin America know the hilarity that is Space Ghost, Brak, Zorak and Moltar. I highly recommend tracking down the 26 episodes of Cartoon Planet they cobbled together from sketches they used from the earlier format of 'sketches wrapped around old cartoons'. Also the entirety of Space Ghost Coast to Coast is great too.

I should also note Speng, that Lowe will be playing Space Ghost one last time in the yet-to-be-released Aqua Teen movie, but that's apparently the last time he'll play the character. Bummer, but as those sketches showed, you don't really need Space Ghost to make with the funny. (No offense to George, he's hilarious, but I'm just glad to get *something*.)

#9 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Citizen
  • 16593 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:26 PM

QUOTE(DrSpengler @ Apr 8 2012, 05:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One of the things I dub about the original Cartoon Planet was that they'd comment on some of the cartoons they reran in-between skits, so it was almost a "kid's Beavis and Butthead", in its own way. I remember in reruns, they'd sometimes cut the cartoons out and do nothing but skits, and the show didn't work as well for me (again, like watching Beavis and Butthead without the music videos).

This stuff looks classic, though, and it's funny to see them basically running cartoons that were brand new when the original Cartoon Planet aired.

I think at some point the series went from being 60 minutes to 30 minutes; that might be why the individual cartoons started getting cut.
Lexicon: still up and running!

"At my last intern briefing, Craig was clearly tired. His message had changed to, "Stay out of trouble, period." It seemed that, as director of security, Livingstone was growing old fast. If he didn't watch out, he'd become one of us - a 'Mormon' or a 'straight,' which is what Clinton staffers called FBI agents, the Secret Service, and former Bush employees."

Aldrich, Gary. Unlimited Access Washington D.C.: Regency, 1996. Pg 38

Please visit my Half.com store

Deviant Art page

#10 G.B.Blackrock

G.B.Blackrock

Autobot Ally

• Supporter
  • 8939 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:29 PM

But... without Space Ghost, who's gonna blast Zorak again and again and again?

#11 Zek

Zek

Resident Goober

• Supporter
  • 7208 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 08:36 PM

...Thundercleese, perhaps?

#12 Boss Borot

Boss Borot
  • Citizen
  • 3669 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 08 April 2012 - 09:05 PM

It's not the old Cartoon Planet, so I don't like it. Grumble mumble cane-shake-git-off-my-lawn.

#13 Fangwing

Fangwing

Space Ceratopsid

• Retired Staff
  • 30253 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 08 April 2012 - 09:35 PM

Does Zorak still make that sound when he blinks?
Brwoooomp!

#14 FortMax

FortMax

Not Cybertron Metroplex or Mudflap

• Supporter
  • 4594 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 08 April 2012 - 09:36 PM

yes.
QUOTE(Hasbro)
Paramount Home Entertainment will be releasing RANSFORMERS CYBERTRON on 9.13.05

Buy my Mini-Pla Goseiger Candy Toy Zords!

#15 Teufel

Teufel

Tastes like chicken.

• Supporter
  • 2604 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 08 April 2012 - 10:16 PM

Am I the only one who somehow misread this as Captain Planet is back?

#16 Nanite

Nanite

Imminently Ignorable

• Supporter
  • 4696 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 10:23 PM

I have this dream cartoon starring Space Ghost, Brak's Dad, Captain Murphy, and Phil Ken Sebben.

It would have been the best thing ever.
On them twitters

#17 Zek

Zek

Resident Goober

• Supporter
  • 7208 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 10:45 PM

Will you settle for Tornado Shanks instead of Murphy? If so, that could still possibly happen, since two of those fellows are the same guy icon-waspy.gif

#18 Boss Borot

Boss Borot
  • Citizen
  • 3669 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 08 April 2012 - 11:26 PM

Great memories of the old show, though..I remember catching it after school on either TBS or TNT. Can't remember which. I think this was before our cable started to carry Cartoon Network. I used to record the songs onto an old cassette tape icon-fire.gif

#19 spikeriley

spikeriley

Follower Of The Helix Fossil

• Citizen
  • 2231 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:14 AM

QUOTE(DrSpengler @ Apr 8 2012, 05:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Sprocket @ Apr 8 2012, 05:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's a bummer. He does those LEGO commercials, but those are probably the only things I've heard him do since he played himself on Aqua Teen (and before that, reprised Space Ghost for the Aqua Teen movie).

Ah well. Brak 'n Zorak are good enough!

One of the things I loved about the original Cartoon Planet was that they'd comment on some of the cartoons they reran in-between skits, so it was almost a "kid's Beavis and Butthead", in its own way. I remember in reruns, they'd sometimes cut the cartoons out and do nothing but skits, and the show didn't work as well for me (again, like watching Beavis and Butthead without the music videos).

Plus he also narrated the Story Mode cutscenes of Punch Time Explosion, where he made a Space Ghost Coast 2 Coast reference at the end.
The almighty Helix Fossil has spoken!

#20 Sprocket

Sprocket

Problematic.

• Citizen
  • 7968 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:47 AM

QUOTE(Boss Borot @ Apr 8 2012, 10:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's not the old Cartoon Planet, so I don't like it. Grumble mumble cane-shake-git-off-my-lawn.

I'd agree with you if the new material wasn't so damned similar to the original. And hilarious.

They even brought back the squiggly colored text on the black background!

What more could you want? Zorak's prison pod? Mail Bag Day? More songs/jokes about beans?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users