45 replies to this topic

#1 Maz

Maz

Square One

• Citizen
  • 606 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 02:04 PM

Hi all,

After the good reception I received for the collectors' partner interviews a couple of weeks ago, I decided to make further use of the community this week for TFSource blog's weekly articles. I've asked a number of long-time and prominent collectors in their field to offer up one rare/obscure/surprising toy from their areas of interest and talk a little about it. The hope is that these knowledgeable collectors will highlight to the wider community some of the more unknown difficult toys from various sub-categories of TF collecting.

The first part in the series concentrates more on production Transformers from various countries, and I would like to thank Mijo, Jon Krause, Martin Lund, Heroic Decepticon, HighPrime and Marco Salerno for their fantastic contributions and for sharing their passion and knowledge.

Enjoy!

In Their Own Words ? Part 1 | TF Source News <- CLICK TO READ

xwords13.jpg

All the best
Maz

Edited by Maz, 24 October 2013 - 05:59 PM.

In-depth articles and reviews www.TF-1.com

Twitter --- Wants List

#2 Darkstream

Darkstream

The original darkstream since 2003!

• Supporter
  • 20494 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 03 April 2012 - 03:05 PM

interesting but it got better towards the end with rarer toys and not just toys that are rare because its a package variant.

#3 Maz

Maz

Square One

• Citizen
  • 606 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:14 PM

QUOTE(Darkstream @ Apr 3 2012, 03:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
interesting but it got better towards the end with rarer toys and not just toys that are rare because its a package variant.

Well it depends on what you collect. If like the collectors featured you've been around for some time and are done actually finding the toys/moulds/recolours themselves, it's very possible for someone to start focusing on their own country's history of releases. I've started collecting UK gold boxed classics for example icon-hotrod.gif

All the best
Maz

Twitter --- Wants List

#4 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 27540 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:31 PM

Excellent article, but, man, am I incredulous towards AFA stuff. I consider it totally artificial price inflation and it feels like it's now created a sort of artificial rarity to boot.

Also, seeing that Doubleclouder really makes me want to see it side-by-side with the Taiwanese Tercel Metamorphs bootleg from the '80s, which is mostly the same but the dominant color is either white or olive drab.

I'm also curious to know what year Brandon Yap got D-319 Guzzle, since I was beaten in an auction (darn you, bad timing!) for one in exactly the same condition a while back.

Edited by Spark, 03 April 2012 - 07:37 PM.

Fall of Cybertron will blow your mind. That is all.

#5 MrBlud

MrBlud

Pipes must've sprayed me...I'm sorry

• Forum Moderator
  • 45760 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:38 PM

I've always wanted a Doubleclouder.

He looks great.

Another awesome article Maz. icon-ironhide.gif

#6 CORVUS

CORVUS

Its showtime, folks!

• Supporter
  • 28394 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:22 PM

QUOTE(Spark @ Apr 3 2012, 08:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Excellent article, but, man, am I incredulous towards AFA stuff. I consider it totally artificial price inflation and it feels like it's now created a sort of artificial rarity to boot.

Agreed. I really do not like AFA.

Transformers is a brand that really has something for everyone. We are a darn lucky fandom.

#7 Specimen-17

Specimen-17

In case of emergency, break dance

• Supporter
  • 8079 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:47 AM

QUOTE(Spark @ Apr 4 2012, 12:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm also curious to know what year Brandon Yap got D-319 Guzzle, since I was beaten in an auction (darn you, bad timing!) for one in exactly the same condition a while back.

2010, but in a set of six from a shop in Hong Kong; http://heroicdecepti...zle-sizzle.html.

#8 The Phazer

The Phazer

Pipes LIVES.

• Citizen
  • 11525 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:06 AM

I was completely unaware of Guzzle's existance, even with owning a copy of Generations. I certainly hadn't appreciated the name issue. How interesting.

#9 Maz

Maz

Square One

• Citizen
  • 606 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:10 AM

I'm certainly not a fan of the AFA and in private with my friends have always criticised their influence in the hobby and disagreed with people like Curt who would take figures and grade them for purposes that I understood, but didn't truly agree with. Grading loose toys was really ridiculous in my opinion.

However for the purposes of the article, after clearly rubbing some the wrong way by using my position in being able to publish my thoughts and feelings through a medium that reaches a significant number of collectors through TFSource to express how I felt about hoarders, I just felt it better to stick to the facts, show more respect for the contributors' preferences and let the reader decide how they felt about the whole thing icon-hotrod.gif

I would love to have a completely separate private blog where I rant and rave about what grinds my gears in the hobby, but clearly as shown here a few weeks ago, TFSource blog is not the place to do it.

All the best
Maz

Twitter --- Wants List

#10 The Phazer

The Phazer

Pipes LIVES.

• Citizen
  • 11525 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:41 AM

I think that's fair enough. It's an article about what a group of other people consider interesting. Some of them seem dull choices to me, but some were gems.

Phazer

#11 LV!

LV!

Ol' 55

• Citizen
  • 2677 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:06 PM

I didn't realize Guzzle was supposed to be particularly rare. I'd think fewer US collectors would have Sizzle, considering you'd have to be stupid enough to pay many times the cost of a Flamefeather to get one.

(I have one, of course. Curse of the Firecons.)

(Firecons used to be a lot cheaper.)

(Also how sucky is it that pretty much all my Sparkstalkers yellowed despite lack of exposure to light?)

(Pretty sucky.)

#12 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 27540 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:00 PM

QUOTE(Specimen-17 @ Apr 4 2012, 06:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Spark @ Apr 4 2012, 12:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

2010, but in a set of six from a shop in Hong Kong; http://heroicdecepti...zle-sizzle.html.

Hah, okay. I was fighting someone on Yahoo Japan for one in January of 2011, so I wondered if it was him. I've wanted a guzzle since I saw one on PrimeSaber's site years and years ago, because nothing is cooler than a tiny firebreathing Transformer Godzilla to fight my existing American Firecon kaiju.

QUOTE(Maz @ Apr 4 2012, 10:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
However for the purposes of the article, after clearly rubbing some the wrong way by using my position in being able to publish my thoughts and feelings through a medium that reaches a significant number of collectors through TFSource to express how I felt about hoarders, I just felt it better to stick to the facts, show more respect for the contributors' preferences and let the reader decide how they felt about the whole thing icon-hotrod.gif

It's probably the best approach. As for the hoarder thing, troop builder collectors don't like it being pointed out that there's not much difference between that and hoarding. And they're vocal about it.

#13 Nevermore

Nevermore

Unionized and proud of it.

• Supporter
  • 9130 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:11 AM

What, did I miss drama on the internets?

#14 Maz

Maz

Square One

• Citizen
  • 606 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:37 PM

QUOTE(Nevermore @ Apr 5 2012, 04:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What, did I miss drama on the internets?

I'm not sure if we're referring to the same thing, but I disappointed a few readers with my attempt to discuss a few of the kinds of collectors that populate the G1 fandom. They gave strong feedback, I made excuses icon-hotrod.gif

All the best
Maz

Twitter --- Wants List

#15 Maz

Maz

Square One

• Citizen
  • 606 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:54 PM

And here's Part 2 of the "In Their Own Words" series, again featuring some really fantastic contributions from the likes of Hydra, Ras, Paul Hitchens , Morgan Evans, Might Gaine and Arkvander.

We move a little away from standard G1 Transformers toys and explore some more recent stuff and even peripheral TF products. Enjoy!

In Their Own Words ? Part 2 | TF Source News <- CLICK TO READ

All the best
Maz

Twitter --- Wants List

#16 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 27540 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:05 AM

That Star/Lord KO has taunted me for years. I haven't even read the article yet, but, just... AAAAARRRGGGGGHHHH.

#17 Nevermore

Nevermore

Unionized and proud of it.

• Supporter
  • 9130 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:30 AM

EDIT: Should've read first. Kmart Legends Bumblebee and Jazz were sold with their weapons swapped? Huh.

Edited by Nevermore, 11 April 2012 - 09:31 AM.

#18 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 27540 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:25 PM

QUOTE(Nevermore @ Apr 11 2012, 10:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
EDIT: Should've read first. Kmart Legends Bumblebee and Jazz were sold with their weapons swapped? Huh.

Yup. It was a surprise to me years and years ago when I got Legends Jazz and Pretender Bumblebee and they had the same gun.

Also, any chance of Hydra taking a picture of the Microns with something bright and colorful beside to illustrate that those pictures aren't in grayscale? That team always looks like someone just turned off the color.

#19 NightViper

NightViper

Ehhhhh...

• News Manager
  • 33509 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:07 PM

So Scorpia actually replaced "Takara Kronoform" with "Transformers Generation 2". Interesting.

That seals the one I have as being the Kronoform watch then, which I assume is in much less demand than the Generation 2 watch.

#20 Darkstream

Darkstream

The original darkstream since 2003!

• Supporter
  • 20494 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:13 PM

ah the destruction team.....I've owned 2/3rds of the set and the set, plus sold off a set. ( still only one full set have i owned)

Took me 7 years to grab a complete set for 500. Sold it for 550 i think. I dont know if i would have gone with those being the rarest, granted they are basically the rarest set. I might have gone with Runner-up Lucky draw minicon Emergency team set. I haven't even SEEN the other ones, and only own the makeshift version out of dumb luck. ( paid like 50 for it)

I havent even seen pictures of this set all together either. I just know they exist and only Hydra and Duce are the only other two i know of seeking them.

But i understand why you would go with these. They are uber hard to find and well least you can get all three together in a picture.

Edited by Darkstream, 11 April 2012 - 07:32 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users