62 replies to this topic

#21 Cabooceratops

Cabooceratops

Local Dinosaur Enthusiast

• Citizen
  • 8376 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:21 PM

This episode sure was Hypocrisy Central, wasn't it?

Also, awesome to have Big Macintosh actually speak.

#22 mariomarc

mariomarc
  • Citizen
  • 900 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:39 PM

my only disappointment was no actually image of trixie or elaborating on her story
but i have this
http://pixelkitties....ealed-293313335
I LOVE EVERYPONY!

#23 Nutjob R/T

Nutjob R/T

I love this thread.

• Citizen
  • 20856 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:46 PM

ALL THE TACOS
QUOTE(ChessPieceFace @ Mar 28 2013, 03:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You won't be the killjoy, we will. We will kill the absolute jive out of that joy.

#24 Sobana

Sobana

Destroyer of Love & Identity Thief

• MORON
  • 0 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:42 PM

QUOTE(Zeel1 @ Mar 31 2012, 01:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I expected them to teach Diamond Tiara a lesson by publishing some horrible story about HER, and teaching her how it feels

I honestly thought that what was going to happen too and then everypony suddenly forgetting what happened before that event, everypony having a big laugh at Diamond Tiara, the CMC get off scotch free and then they roll the credits.

But no, it was more realistic this way, they acted mature, announced what they did was wrong and apologized, didn't seek revenge against Diamond Tiara, and actually went around to make amends to the ponies they hurt instead of just assuming they did. This right here is the life lessons we should be teaching our kids, how to act mature.

Also, welcome to the allspark (primarily MLP: FiM and not at all Transformers) forum site! =D
Spoiler

#25 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron

Happy Nightmare Night!

• Supporter
  • 9369 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:51 PM

I really enjoyed this one; it was one of S2's best episodes, IMO. Rezo already mentioned most of the things I enjoyed most about it a few posts up. Though it was a CMC episode, Rarity was pretty good in it, as well. One of my favourite parts was when she was talking to herself about snooping. And of course the freakout when she sees her diary published, although Pinkie seemed to like it; she was still smiling and actually reading the paper while the others seemed more dismayed for Rarity (or at least pretending to be, until they could get home and read their own copies).

Poor Scoots; still no focus episode this season, and now even Ponyville's bird population seem to be laughing at her (now canon) terrible flying skills, heh. At least she gets the CMC general episodes, although even those usually tend to give slightly more attention to one than the other two; this time around it was Sweetie.

We also got a slightly derp'd Dinky.

QUOTE(Don_East @ Mar 31 2012, 02:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
* For that matter, what was Applejack doing at the spa? Isn't she's supposed to reject that kind of girly stuff?

I'd say that's more Rainbow's take than AJ's. Though people seem to compare them a lot, I've always thought their personalities were only superficially similar, at best. AJ usually avoids stereotypically "girly" things because she's inclined to be more practical and would rather use her time to get more work done on the farm. She also seems to have a hard time relaxing (the photograph in the Foal Free Press notwithstanding icon-fire.gif) a lot of the time. Girly stuff like spa getaways and whatnot probably seem frivolous to her. But when she's in the right mood, she can probably just relax and enjoy it.

Rainbow, on the other hand, seems to have a genuine aversion to such things; and of course she wants to maintain her image of being tough. That, or she's just really ticklish, judging by her behavior in this episode. icon-arcee.gif

Edited by TM2-Megatron, 31 March 2012 - 06:52 PM.

#26 Zeel1

Zeel1
  • Citizen
  • 1127 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:22 PM

QUOTE(Sobana @ Mar 31 2012, 06:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I expected them to teach Diamond Tiara a lesson by publishing some horrible story about HER, and teaching her how it feels

I honestly thought that what was going to happen too and then everypony suddenly forgetting what happened before that event, everypony having a big laugh at Diamond Tiara, the CMC get off scotch free and then they roll the credits.

But no, it was more realistic this way, they acted mature, announced what they did was wrong and apologized, didn't seek revenge against Diamond Tiara, and actually went around to make amends to the ponies they hurt instead of just assuming they did. This right here is the life lessons we should be teaching our kids, how to act mature.

Also, welcome to the allspark (primarily MLP: FiM and not at all Transformers) forum site! =D

Heh, thanks. Been a bit of a lurker for a couple of weeks now, figured I'd weigh in this time around~

Yeah, as others have mentioned, I also liked how they kind of learned their lesson for themselves halfway through, realizing what they were doing was wrong without actually having to be guilted into like normal. I dunno, it seems kind of uncommon to see that in shows, especially with little kids. Makes them seem a little less oblivious and a little more empathic.

Edited by Zeel1, 31 March 2012 - 08:26 PM.

#27 Nutjob R/T

Nutjob R/T

I love this thread.

• Citizen
  • 20856 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:38 PM

Applejack does hard labour for a living. I can see her learning to appreciate such treatment.

Lemme put it this way. One of the bonuses on my company's medical plan is 100% coverage for massage therapy and chiropractic sessions. (Long distance trucking, BTW.)

I semi-scoffed at it in the driver's room one day. (Semi-scoffed because of the coverage of massage therapy and chiropractic, but only $75 a year for vision care...)

The reaction was surprising. Most of the guys there swore by the treatment, and the one oldschooler who scoffed at it rattled to his feet and hobbled out leaning on his cane.

So yeah, I can see the Apples having a family account at the spa.
QUOTE(ChessPieceFace @ Mar 28 2013, 03:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You won't be the killjoy, we will. We will kill the absolute jive out of that joy.

#28 Sobana

Sobana

Destroyer of Love & Identity Thief

• MORON
  • 0 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:22 PM

QUOTE(Zeel1 @ Mar 31 2012, 09:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Sobana @ Mar 31 2012, 06:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Heh, thanks. Been a bit of a lurker for a couple of weeks now, figured I'd weigh in this time around~

I saw you when you first got here, remember? You were all like "hello" and I was all like -gasp- remember? That is because I never saw you before and if I never saw you before that means your new. Because I know everypony and I mean everypony in this forum. That means you haven't met anyone yet and if you haven't met anyone yet that means you don't have any friends yet and if you don't have any friends you must be so lonely and that made me so sad and I had an idea and that is why I went -gasp- I would throw a super duper welcome party and invite everypony in the forums to meet you! See? And now you have lots and lots of friends! =D

QUOTE(Nayuki @ Mar 31 2012, 07:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Sobana @ Mar 31 2012, 04:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ponies, transform and roll out!

Ponies plus any thing sounds like a great idea to me.

QUOTE(TM2-Megatron @ Mar 31 2012, 07:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They called it was heresy in the chat when I said I saw Dinky Hooves, but TM2-Megatron proved me right again! >=D

*Whispers to Nayuki* A nod to fans?

QUOTE(Zeel1 @ Mar 31 2012, 09:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, as others have mentioned, I also liked how they kind of learned their lesson for themselves halfway through, realizing what they were doing was wrong without actually having to be guilted into like normal. I dunno, it seems kind of uncommon to see that in shows, especially with little kids. Makes them seem a little less oblivious and a little more empathic.

It is nice to see the show can be original with old concepts. It was like when it was first done it was expected every cartoon do it that way, but once again, ponies broke the mold.

QUOTE(DrSpengler @ Mar 31 2012, 10:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Seemed like character progression to me, not discontinuity.

I like to imagine none of the characters have cookie cutout or redundant personalities, doing uncharacteristic things at times is more realistic when perpetually having the same attitude or outlook all the time.
Spoiler

#29 pao

pao

Life is a struggle.

• Supporter
  • 832 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:27 PM

QUOTE(Sobana @ Mar 31 2012, 09:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(TM2-Megatron @ Mar 31 2012, 07:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<pic elided>

They called it was heresy in the chat when I said I saw Dinky Hooves, but TM2-Megatron proved me right again! >=D

*Whispers to Nayuki* A nod to fans?

Dinky's getting knocked over by DT here. We've seen everypony get woobly eyes under those kinds of circumstances as a part of the physical comedy.

#30 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron

Happy Nightmare Night!

• Supporter
  • 9369 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:34 PM

Yeah, I doubt it was a nod to fans since anypony can have eyes like that if they get hit hard enough. I just thought it was cute.

Not sure about the heresy thing, lol. We really don't know how old Derpy is, so while I can see why some people might take issue with her being a single mother (though Disney & Pixar seem to get away with it) there's no reason to think she was a victim of teen pregnancy. In the wedding episode previews, Twilight's mom looks exactly as she did in the 'Cutie Mark Chronicles' flashback; basically no older than Twi herself looks presently. And apparently the Mayor's grey hair isn't even natural, LOL. How on earth do we tell how old ponies are? It's only clear cut for babies, foals, and seniors.

#31 corgsopal

corgsopal

It was catastro-, catastro-feeling good

• Supporter
  • 5043 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 01 April 2012 - 01:20 AM

The version I saw was kind of washed out. What is Featherweight's cutie mark? Pinkie's reaction to her expos? was great. "I DO have a problem!" I also loved the Namby Pamby Celestia cake and Mayor's mane jokes. And Fluttershy (as usual). I guess Rarity's folk's are on vacation again. And it is odd that Scootaloo hasn't ever had her own episode. Maybe third season. I'm also glad that the gossip moral was organic to the story. I figured the final column would just be the CMC photos but this was much better.
Reclaim the suffix.

#32 BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave

Arachnofiliac

• Citizen
  • 10247 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 01 April 2012 - 03:47 AM

I loved Diamond Tiara doing a Jonah J. Jameson impression in this episode. icon-hotrod.gif Otherwise, it was a solid story about tabloid press, with the expected outcome.

Many-many tidbits though... Fluttershy has tail extensions? Always suspected... icon-fire.gif And I LOL-d when it got revealed Mare the Mayor actually has a pink mane. Guess that explains her Nightmare Night costume as a clown!

#33 Rezo

Rezo
  • Citizen
  • 345 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:33 AM

QUOTE(BB Shockwave @ Apr 1 2012, 03:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I loved Diamond Tiara doing a Jonah J. Jameson impression in this episode. icon-hotrod.gif Otherwise, it was a solid story about tabloid press, with the expected outcome.

Many-many tidbits though... Fluttershy has tail extensions? Always suspected... icon-fire.gif And I LOL-d when it got revealed Mare the Mayor actually has a pink mane. Guess that explains her Nightmare Night costume as a clown!
That wasn't her costume, that's how she looks in private~

#34 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

Doom On You

• Retired Staff
  • 17504 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:48 AM

I wasn't looking forward to this because, as you all know, the CMC breaches my cuteness tolerance on a regular basis.

This one was, by far, their most enjoyable episode, and easily as enjoyable as many of my favorites. High marks to the crew on this one. Rarity's rant at Sweetiebelle was hilarious.

#35 J4n1

J4n1
  • Citizen
  • 393 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:47 AM

Personally, i went in with no preconceptions as i've managed to avoid any possible spoilers, teasers, hints and leaks, and hope to keep doing so.
And because of that, my first reaction was "oh great, it's those three", yet, i went on, and watched the episode.
Spa treatment was awesome, Cake's reaction was hilarious "we are?", and i absolutely loved Pinkie's reaction to the out of control party animal (first step in fixing the problem, is admitting you have a problem), Rainbow Dash was awesome (especially during the spa scene, but also otherwise), and the cucumber joke made me smile (seriously Spike, you're going to stuck that in your eye, after where it's been?), and the "i'm ruined" scene was both completely in character, and channeling Rarity, at the same time.
Tail extensions Fluttershy? Now i'm not going to judge, but i do say i was surprised by this revelation.

Now, enough of Mane6, and onto CMC, i've never really liked them, good as characters, and i like them individually, but i'd prefer the stories to focus on Mane6 instead, and i tend to be annoyed about them never really learning the basic lesson of of cutiemarks.
This episode did nothing to fix that, they were thoughtless, stupid and irresponsible (you know, kids), and while they did learn their lesson in the end, i can't help but feel that it was a lesson they should have known from get go (it's not good to spread other peoples secrets), and the fact that they were worried more about the fallout to them than what they did to others does not speak well of them.
But, i also can't help but feel sorry for them, Applebloom was told, in no uncertain terms, that she had done wrong by the two ponies she most looks up to, Sweetie Belle got an earfull from Rarity.
And most of all, i feel sorry for Scootaloo, she managed to disspoint, and anger, her personal hero and idol, and only authority figure (outside of Cheerilee) that we have ever seen her to look up to, the person that the fanclub she is president of is dedicated to, that must sting.

Also somewhat dissapointed that the mane6 apart from Twilight did not seem to understand the problem with the column before it hit them, now, on Rarity, Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash i could understand it, but feels of with Fluttershy and Applejack.

Still, it was a fun episode and pleasure to watch, with good gags, solid story and sensible easop.

Now, taking a picture of your ruling god-monarch eating cake in an embarassing manner, balsy, or suicidal?

#36 J4n1

J4n1
  • Citizen
  • 393 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:40 AM

QUOTE(Zecora @ Apr 1 2012, 04:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Featherweight helps Tiara blackmail the CMC.
Why does he become editor and get off scott free?

Actually, he doesn't. (edit- help in blackmail that is, he does get off scott free though)
He takes pictures, out of anything, of everything, of everyone, and then brings them to the editor in chief to be used, he might no even be aware of the blackmail.
He is no more guilty of things than the CMC are, possibly even less, as it's the CMC who start the whole thing.

Now, i'm not saying he should not be punished, or that he should be editor in chief (wonder what kind of privacy laws exist in Equestria?), at the bear minimum he might be punished for trespassing and voyering (taking a camera to a spa and taking pictures, and how did he get the picture of mayor coloring her hair), but he is not really guilty of blackmail, or even paiding in it specifically.

Also, back to my earlier posts, taking a picture of the local god-monarch in embarassing situation?
Balsy, or suicidal?
And adding to that, would l?se majest? come up?

Edited by J4n1, 01 April 2012 - 09:41 AM.

#37 Shutterbug

Shutterbug
  • Supporter
  • 686 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:47 AM

This is probably my favorite CMC episode. An even balance of comedy throughout with plenty of the mane 6 to make it even more enjoyable. Featherweight's design reminds me of Little Strongheart. Balloon Rainbow Dash in the background in the CMC clubhouse freaks me the hay out. The tan filly with the gold mane finally got a voice. The spa scene was so neat, I could probably re-watch just that millions of times. Fluttershy's tears could flood all of Ponyville. Twilight's force field is probably my favorite part of the episode in terms of awesomeness visually and audibly. Big Mac needs more lines in Season 3. Great job to all involved.

P.S. Can't wait to gif all those reaction faces. Of course once I finish my increasingly large backlog.

#38 justinslot

justinslot
  • Protoform
  • 25 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:53 AM

The very end with the iris in on Diamond Tiara's miserable duckface just kills me. LAUGHTER. EVERY TIME.

"Et tu, Gabby Gums?"

#39 pao

pao

Life is a struggle.

• Supporter
  • 832 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:29 AM

QUOTE(Corgsopal @ Apr 1 2012, 12:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What is Featherweight's cutie mark?

You'll never guess.
HIGHLIGHT to view:
It's a feather! (Or, as observed in chat, a quill.)

#40 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 2750 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:03 PM

My goodness, that's one of the best episodes so far! Great work! It was hilarious with at column and gut wrenching when the CMC were turned in pariahs. I'm not sure I like the ending but I really was expecting the CMC to expose Tiara's coercion, as Featherweight did snap that picture. Then the three's embarrassing photos being in evidence would absolve their mistake. The open letter was more proper tho, I suppose.

Yeah, I know Nelvena's Babar, Disney's the Replacements and even Simpsons did this kind of story. It was worth it tho.

The mane 6 shutting out the CMC was painful. Yeah, I was actually waiting for Scootaloo's heart to break Shen Dash drenched them. I expected Bloom to run away crying after Big Mac, BIG MAC!, told her off! Would have been great if they showed Pinkie but I'm sure she would have taken it in good humor.

I'm a little surprised at Sweetie. It seems that she's the most capable of 'turning bad' if the three. I figuredit would be Scootaloo, as she tries to take after Dash. It's probably the Rarity side of her that makes Sweetie all gossip evil drama like. Or else it's cuz she's linked to being the most angelic ( plus choir type singing) and it's always the 'good one's you have to watch our for.

I pitied Scoots when I saw her wings could support her icon-screamer.gif

Ink flank pony was pretty cool. I thought he'd be editor.

The moral was the open 'letter'.

I will admit to being excited when I heard Trixie's name cuz I expected to see a pic of her. I was quite disappointed when not, aaw.

I thought it was kinda unworthy of Sweetie and Scoots to try and get their cutie marks without Bloom in the opening scene. Sure it was for the joke punchline but, if they succeeded (even paper boat folding), what would they tell Bloom? Would be sad.

I thought Gabby Gums would have been a combination of their names. Would be ASS though, lol. Or ABSBSL ( if L is the compound word in ScootaLoo). A mix of that would be Blabs plus an extra S.

Again, excellent episode icon-hotrod.gif

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users