#1 Quantumhawk

Quantumhawk

Fight the Future

• Retired Staff
  • 18208 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:05 AM

http://www.foxnews.c...ch-report-says/

MasterCard is investigating a possible breach of cardholder account data involving a U.S.-based payment processor, the company said Friday.

"As a result, we have alerted payment card issuers regarding certain MasterCard accounts that are potentially at risk," the Purchase, N.Y., credit-card company said in a statement.

Law enforcement officials have been notified of the matter and an "independent data security organization" is conducting an ongoing forensic review.

The company is alerting card-issuing banks regarding "certain MasterCard accounts that are potentially at risk."

"MasterCard's own systems have not been compromised in any manner," the statement continued.

A MasterCard spokesman declined to say how many cards may have been compromised or how many banks it is notifying, the Wall Street Journal reports.

The breach was first reported early Friday by Krebs On Security, a blog by former Washington Post reporter Brian Krebs. The blog also reported that Visa was also notifying banks about a breach involving a third-party payment processor.

Representatives for Visa couldn't immediately be reached for comment Friday morning, the Wall Street Journal reports.

Visa and MasterCard do not lend or issue cards to consumers, but instead process transactions for banks that issue their cards and those that handle transactions for merchants.

Representatives of several banks, including Bank of America Corp. and J.P. Morgan Chase & Co., either couldn't be reached for comment or declined to comment Friday morning, the newspaper reports.

MasterCard said it will "continue to both monitor this event and take steps to safeguard account information."

Cardholders concerned about their accounts should contact the banks that issued them their cards, MasterCard said.

Sources at two major financial institutions told Krebs on Security that most of the cards they analyzed were apparently used in New York City-area parking garages.

In 2008, a group of hackers breached the network of Princeton, N.J.-based payment processing giant Heartland Payment Systems, which processed transactions for restaurants, retailers and other merchants. Data from more than 100 million credit and debit cards were stolen.

Well that's just great.

#2 Solarstorm

Solarstorm
  • Citizen
  • 6900 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:08 AM

Well that's just great. My Mastercard is stolen by FunPub's hackers TWICE and now Mastercard itself has been hacked.

"The way YOU are built lends itself to similarly big weapons. Magnus by comparison is a girly man."--Bainreese

#3 Goblez

Goblez
  • Supporter
  • 12045 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:12 AM

this mean US only Mastercards or should I worry

#4 Kalidor

Kalidor

Get some!

• Owner
  • 55243 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:17 AM

See, that's how you handle this. Report of a breech happens on Friday, by next Friday due to the possibilty a press release is issued and the customers notified.

Not 6 months of cover ups and buck passing.

#5 Benbot

Benbot
  • Supporter
  • 2894 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:40 AM

Hope this doesn't affect my bank debit card.

#6 Esser-Z

Esser-Z

IT'S AN ESSER

• Citizen
  • 32088 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:40 AM

QUOTE(Benbot @ Mar 30 2012, 11:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hope this doesn't affect my bank debit card.

#7 tec

tec

Season of the witches...Strike Witches

• Citizen
  • 15188 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:42 AM

I just got set up with Mastercard whos a risk here eveyone or just ppl that used the parking garage?

#8 Omgiamonfire

Omgiamonfire

Maybe on Earth. Maybe in the Future.

• Citizen
  • 4826 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:42 AM

Well hug, I don't know if this affects my debit card or not but I might as well get it replaced.
"By the way, you might see my arm lying around somewhere. If you could pick it up, that'd be great."

#9 Asquian

Asquian
  • Supporter
  • 21605 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:26 AM

Between Sony's debacle last year already costing me a card, I've been kinda on high alert ever since. I'll call my bank later and just have all my cards reissued, I don't feel like another round on the ID theft wheel of misfortune.

#10 MightyMegs

MightyMegs

Someone took their time...

• Citizen
  • 3370 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:53 AM

QUOTE(Kalidor @ Mar 30 2012, 11:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
See, that's how you handle this. Report of a breech happens on Friday, by next Friday due to the possibilty a press release is issued and the customers notified.

The club just didn't want to buy stamps to send out all those emails.
http://www.amazon.com/G-I-JOE-REBORN-Kindle-Novella-ebook/dp/B00KDLVSL6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400716793&sr=8-1&keywords=cobra+reborn

#11 CORVUS

CORVUS

It's always sunny in Heliopolis!

• Supporter
  • 28816 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:02 PM

Looks like I better ask my bank about this.

Transformers is a brand that really has something for everyone. We are a darn lucky fandom.

#12 awa64

awa64
  • Citizen
  • 12568 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:04 PM

The breach happened back in January, and both Visa and MasterCard are passing the buck to an unidentified third-party credit card processing firm.

#13 NICK TYRANNO

NICK TYRANNO

Live Free or Dinosaur.

• Supporter
  • 10244 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:06 PM

DAMN IT.

WHo knows now if my account was hugged by fun pub's guy or mastercard itself. That's hilarious.

#14 SpectroScott

SpectroScott
  • Citizen
  • 801 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:17 PM

Actually the article that is mentioned in this one says that "The card associations stated that the breached credit card processor was compromised between Jan. 21, 2012 and Feb. 25, 2012." So it was two months after the first breach and a month after the 2nd.
Blog: http://jeremiahscott.blogspot.com/ It's mostly food related.

#15 SilverFirePrime

SilverFirePrime

And one more for Jenny and the Wimp

• Citizen
  • 3875 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:45 PM

Looks like my card got compromised too icon-kicker.gif. $105 Itunes charge.

When you find yourself standing on the brink of surrender, know that many in the past faced trials such as your own, but overcame them with their great conviction.
No matter the greatness of your desperation, the failures of your efforts, or the injustice of your treatment, at least a few men have stared into the same challenges and emerged victorious from these tests.
Such men are not only a great source of inspiration, but also the very foundation upon which modern society rests.

From lyric booklet of 'Starfall' by Dragonland

The mind. It boggles.
QUOTE(Alvatron!)
...what's a comicon without a roomful of drunken comic geeks singing showtunes to DDR?

#16 Omgiamonfire

Omgiamonfire

Maybe on Earth. Maybe in the Future.

• Citizen
  • 4826 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:32 PM

Are those your credit cards are debit cards that got hit?
"By the way, you might see my arm lying around somewhere. If you could pick it up, that'd be great."

#17 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 28180 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:43 PM

Hopefully I've been spared thanks to TFCC's screwup making me get a new card twice by mid-March.
Fall of Cybertron will blow your mind. That is all.

#18 crazyjw18

crazyjw18

HE TELL ME DRILL WILL PIERCE MUFFINS!

• Citizen
  • 12233 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:55 PM

Ugh. Sick of worrying about this jive this year.

#19 Naas

Naas

ORAORAORA

• Citizen
  • 5116 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:10 AM

So, does this affect everyone with Mastercard or US only?

DOES SAYAKA SAYAKA JOJO SWORDS POSING ARCHER BLADE WORKS SOMETHING ME?

#20 BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave

Arachnofiliac

• Citizen
  • 10505 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:53 AM

So, what does this mean? Can they take money off cards? I thought other data was needed for that. I am very careful not to leave any other info then my card number anywhere. Hence why I don't buy from direct payment sites that do not accept Paypal and ask for your card's expiry date, or other such data.

Boo-Sig.jpg

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users