Photo
- - - - -

Is it possible to watch a Youtube clip without commercials?

29 replies to this topic

#1 Benbot

Benbot
  • Supporter
  • 2930 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:39 PM

These YouTube commercials are really getting irritating. It's annoying enough as it is to have to close click that hugging popup ad that comes up in the middle of every video, but now 15, 30 second commercials (and some much longer than that) are now being placed in front of even the shortest videos. Is this Google's doing, or should I be pissed at every Tom, Dick, and Harry on YouTube trying to make money on ads? I know people need to get paid, but damn, I have to sit through more commercials browsing through YouTube than I do watching broadcast television.

#2 Goblez

Goblez
  • Supporter
  • 12163 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:50 PM

yeah its called Adblock plus. if you like taking away peoples pay O:

#3 ExVee

ExVee

Unmentionable

• Supporter
  • 8000 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:06 PM

I never get served ads of any sort on Youtube. Some combination of my adblock filters is managing to get around it all. I also used it to stop getting redirected to the low-speed video server range Youtube has. I'm sure you know the one, where it takes literally five or more minutes on a decent internet connection to load a 30-60-second clip? Adblock is an amazing tool and I would not use the internet without it.

@exveebrawn | @FigureReviewers

Sentai and Tokusatsu podcast!
Superhero Time - Here We Go!
@Superhero_Time

The Original Transformers Internet Radio Show
Radio Free Cybertron

#4 Waspinator

Waspinator

Is that your final Dandy?

• Citizen
  • 20297 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:31 PM

Youtube has commercials?

<= Adblock Plus user

#5 Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely

That was then, this is now.

• Citizen
  • 6549 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:16 AM

I actually didn't even know YouTube had commercials. Adblock Plus yourself up, my good man.

#6 Quantumhawk

Quantumhawk

Fight the Future

• Retired Staff
  • 18258 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:54 AM

Damn those companies trying to pay for bandwidth with advertising! Give me your content free, right now!

#7 TrapDoor

TrapDoor

Me and My Secretary Bird

• Citizen
  • 3704 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:40 PM

Knowing people are getting paid and keeping youtube a free service means ads bother me not.

Just imagine youtube as a netflix like service.

Edited by TrapDoor, 29 March 2012 - 12:40 PM.

#8 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

Rub A Dub Dub, Twelve Men In a Tub

• Supporter
  • 3407 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:58 PM

I've wavered back and forth on the issue. Addblock will allow you to select specific pages to block or unblock and I have been going along the 'block most of youtube, but unblock people I subscribe to' lines recently.

It's sort of a compromise. Not a perfect one, but it seems reasonable to me. If I like the content then I'll submit to the advertising.

0n39.png

#9 Random Items

Random Items

Just this once, everybody lives!

• News and Content
  • 9861 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 01:36 PM

My stance on YouTube ads varies on the content I'm about to view. If it's an independent user upload, where I know the producer is making a fraction of a penny for the ad before the video, I don't mind. After all, if folks like James Rolfe manage to make a living off of their productions and don't have to work 9-5 jobs to pay the bills, it means they'll have the time and resources to produce more content.

When I have to sit through a makeup commercial before watching a movie trailer on the studio's official channel, though... yeah, not a fan of that.

#10 Scavgraphics

Scavgraphics

Sometimes bad ponies make the best good ponies!

• Supporter
  • 4865 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 29 March 2012 - 01:56 PM

QUOTE(Waspinator @ Mar 28 2012, 11:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Youtube has commercials?

<= Adblock Plus user

times 2.

#11 TrnsfrmGod

TrnsfrmGod

Home

• Supporter
  • 4373 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:04 PM

I just want to know, and I am semi-serious about this, WHO is sitting there that gets to decide when would be the most INOPPORTUNE TIME for the ad to pop-up?

I wouldn't really care if the thing popped up right off the start, but just as I'm getting to the crucial part of the video, BAM, there's the ad, and I gotta pause it and close the ad, or close the ad, then rewind to see what I missed.

Annoying icon-waspy.gif

#12 Goblez

Goblez
  • Supporter
  • 12163 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:29 PM

QUOTE(TrnsfrmGod @ Mar 30 2012, 03:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just want to know, and I am semi-serious about this, WHO is sitting there that gets to decide when would be the most INOPPORTUNE TIME for the ad to pop-up?

I wouldn't really care if the thing popped up right off the start, but just as I'm getting to the crucial part of the video, BAM, there's the ad, and I gotta pause it and close the ad, or close the ad, then rewind to see what I missed.

Annoying icon-waspy.gif

if its a youtube partner they are the ones they decide where they put their adverts I hear.

#13 corgsopal

corgsopal

It was catastro-, catastro-feeling good

• Supporter
  • 5043 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:55 PM

I don't block the ads but sometimes I want to. Put them at the start and at the end, fine. But do we need the pop over ads that block sometimes the lower third of the video?
Reclaim the suffix.

#14 member0

member0
  • Citizen
  • 2770 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:00 PM

QUOTE(Quantumhawk @ Mar 30 2012, 05:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Damn those companies trying to pay for bandwidth with advertising! Give me your content free, right now!

If you're on a metered connection then downloading ads, particularly video ads, can potentially cost you a lot of money. We are often paying to be advertised at.

#15 Quantumhawk

Quantumhawk

Fight the Future

• Retired Staff
  • 18258 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:15 PM

QUOTE(member0 @ Mar 29 2012, 06:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
@#!*% those companies trying to pay for bandwidth with advertising! Give me your content free, right now!

If you're on a metered connection then downloading ads, particularly video ads, can potentially cost you a lot of money. We are often paying to be advertised at.

Good point. I am paying for my cable tv company to provide the signal to me. Therefore TV studios should no longer be able to sell advertising time during my favorite programs. I shouldn't pay to be advertised at!

#16 Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely

That was then, this is now.

• Citizen
  • 6549 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:17 PM

Literally nothing you can say is going to make feel guilty in any way for not being forced to watch a minute-long advert ahead of a twenty-second video.

#17 UnicronusPrime

UnicronusPrime

I Will Eat Your Planet!

• Citizen
  • 6113 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:28 PM

What irks me is when there is an ad for an ad. Lets use pretty much any Halo Reach commercial on youtube, which I want to watch, but before that there is an ad.
I AM CANADIAN
QUOTE(Defunct @ Mar 1 2006, 09:14 PM)
What part of "everyone who doesn't go on a murderous rampage gets in to heaven" doesn't make sense?

#18 Phage

Phage

I... I'm sorry.

• Retired Staff
  • 9112 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:43 PM

QUOTE(Quantumhawk @ Mar 29 2012, 06:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(member0 @ Mar 29 2012, 06:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
@#!*% those companies trying to pay for bandwidth with advertising! Give me your content free, right now!

Good point. I am paying for my cable tv company to provide the signal to me. Therefore TV studios should no longer be able to sell advertising time during my favorite programs. I shouldn't pay to be advertised at!

Not really comparable. Imagine you pay for your cable, but you're only allowed to watch 1 hour a day, commercials would eat dearly into what you're paying for. You're paying for an hour, but you're only getting 40 minutes because of commercials.

76561198045115041.pngAddFriend.png

#19 Goblez

Goblez
  • Supporter
  • 12163 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:13 PM

I only unblock reviewers I want to support. screw the rest ;P

#20 corgsopal

corgsopal

It was catastro-, catastro-feeling good

• Supporter
  • 5043 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:25 PM

On some sites, the pre video ad will flip out and then it causes the real video to fail. Blip does it most often. Youtube, sometimes, depending on my connection.
Reclaim the suffix.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users