18 replies to this topic

#1 BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave

Arachnofiliac

• Citizen
  • 10077 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:10 AM

Just being pro-active and starting a thread. icon-hotrod.gif If my time and health allows it, I want to be there on the opening day.

Being a huge greek mythology nerd, I loved the previous movie too, despite its inaccuracies. And the new movie showcases some characters and beasties that we haven't seen on screen much, if ever. I especially found it interesting that we're gonna see Machae, Hades' soldiers, and that they actually look quite like in the game Titan Quest... which also deals with a Titan getting set loose (granted, Typhon being a Titan is debatable).

I don't think I will watch it in 3D, though. I am getting sick of these pointless effects. John Carter was totally OK without them as well.

#2 LBD "Nytetrayn"

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Quyzbuk

• Supporter
  • 14338 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:24 AM

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gif0g9jaoG.gifuWt4fLV.gif

6E96J7Z.jpg

gNLoMUt.png

#3 John Nemo

John Nemo

I can't do that Dave.

• Citizen
  • 4024 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:29 AM

........WIN.

#4 NICK TYRANNO

NICK TYRANNO

Live Free or Dinosaur.

• Supporter
  • 9748 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:32 AM

hug! I thought I was caught up.

#5 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 34175 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:29 AM

The new Clash was released in 2010?

Dang, time flies. I could have sworn it was just in theaters.
 photo lup_zps837154f7.jpg
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. –Plato

#6 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 2581 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 28 March 2012 - 06:45 AM

It was a mess. Ugh.

The maze didn't make sense. They missed easy parallels for the father and son stuff. Chronos didn't look too good.

Cool weapons tho, with all the sparks effects when people hold it.
Feel the Fear!

#7 BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave

Arachnofiliac

• Citizen
  • 10077 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:35 AM

Is Chronos the lava-monster shown in the trailers? I thought that'd by Typhon... Oh well.

Will watch it on Friday. I already love the design of the Chimera, would be nice if this movie series got a toyline...

#8 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 2581 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:25 PM

Lava monster's Chronos, yes.

Sigh. John Carter was better made. Wrath felt too messy to me.
Feel the Fear!

#9 BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave

Arachnofiliac

• Citizen
  • 10077 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:23 PM

Saw it today - IMAX 3D as there was no 2D screening, but 3D was surprisingly good. Got a bit of a nausea even at the Underworld transition scene from vertigo!

It was a good movie. Not great, not amazing - solid, OK, mythological action flick with a story that had no Bay-like plot holes, and likeable characters. But as Fero said, not comparable to John Carter. Some points:

- Perseus does go through a lot in these two movies, and it takes 2 movies for him to come to terms with the fact that he will never have an 'average' life, neither can his son be a simple fisherman. This was more well thought-out then most such movies ever do, and a good solid ending.
- The "put on the bus" death of Io between movies was quite harsh, but I guess Aterton never signed on for the sequel.
- What really sold the movie for me was the relationship between Zeus and Hades - Liam Neeson and Ralph Fiennes were at their best. Hades already seemed to have a good reason for revenge on his brother(s) in the first movie, and here were get more background on this, but Zeus also became less arrogant and more reasonable due to his relationship with a half-human son... In a total flip of the "Everyone Hates Hades" TVTrope, Hades not only HIGHLIGHT to view:
does a heel-face-turn after Zeus asks for his forgiveness, even healing his brother from his injuries, he survives the movie - and is the only god left alive at the end! Which is much closer to his original mythological portrayal.
- Ares is one of the real big bads of the movie (the trailers nicely spoil this), and he lives up to his reputation as the god of war. His relationship towards his father and half-brother were also good points of the movie, and his final fight with Perseus was well-executed, showing what the difference between a half-god and a real god is. Loved his mace...
-On the other hand, Agenor was a very half-arsed attempt at a comedic sidekick character, who never really does anything memorable, Andromeda felt shoehorned in, especially her last minute romance with Perseus, and Bill Nighy as Hephaistos was a totally wasted shot. I dunno whose bright idea was that the smith of the gods should have a split personality...
-The movie again had some cool visuals, the maze around Tartaros was amazing.
-The creatures - like the previous one, this too takes some liberties, but still ends up better then Tarsem Singh's "Immortals". Loved some of the designs, and many of them were very faithful to the myths. The Chimera... or rather, Chimeras (there are many of them) were quite realistic as far as three-headed bat-winged monsters go, loved the way the flame breath worked (goat head spews flammeable liquid, lion head lights it). The Machae were cool, the Minotaur less so (a fat guy with horns, pretty much - and with odd illusionary powers). But I was most sold on the three Cyclopes. Arges, Brontes and Steropes (not named, but were obviously them) truly conveyed their immense size in the forest battle, using brute force as well as traps in the fight, and the best part was, it turns out HIGHLIGHT to view:
that like in the myth, they are not really evil, just brutish - they end up leading the gang to Hephaistos after the intial misunderstandings. Cronos looked... well, more like I'd imagine Typhon, but like the Kraken, he was immense. Loved the lava attacks that solidifies into volcanic rock in the air.

The ending is not a fully happy one, and I frankly don't think they could continue the movies from this point, but hey, Michael Bay will do TF4 despite all Decepticons being killed off and Cybertron destroyed, so who knows.

One thing's for sure, I'll now sit down and watch some Class of the Titans episodes, and do some Epic Typhon/Hades runs in Titan Quest (if anyone's up for a multiplay, give me a PM). icon-hotrod.gif

Edited by BB Shockwave, 30 March 2012 - 02:25 PM.

#10 Kalidor

Kalidor

Get some!

• Owner
  • 54313 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:18 PM

My dad saw it but he said he didn't like it. He's kind of hit or miss though so I'm still going to give it a shot. Is this an actual sequel to Clash or just derivative of the lore?

Order your Guardians of the Galaxy tickets from now until August 4th from Fandango and you not only help The Allspark, but you also get entered in a chance to win original movie props from Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Avengers movies.

#11 BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave

Arachnofiliac

• Citizen
  • 10077 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:55 AM

Actual sequel, all the actors (save Ares) are the same.

#12 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron

Happy Nightmare Night!

• Supporter
  • 9334 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:39 AM

I might see it, but I hope there's a 2-D showing around here. I have nothing against 3-D, and even own a 3DTV and about 20-odd 3-D Blu-Rays; but I've never been impressed by a post-converted live-action 3-D flick. It's different for CG movies like Toy Story 1 & 2; or even traditional animation like The Lion King or Beauty and the Beast, since Disney still had all the original separate work to aid in the creation of a 3-D version. But I saw Clash of the Titans, also post-converted, in 3-D and regretted paying the premium.

Edited by TM2-Megatron, 04 April 2012 - 07:40 AM.

#13 shumworld

shumworld

"One down, two to go."

• Citizen
  • 7963 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:29 AM

I enjoyed the film, Kronos was amazing.

#14 BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave

Arachnofiliac

• Citizen
  • 10077 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:31 AM

Shumworld - All I can say to that, especially after watching Class of the Titans lately, is "Yeessss..." in David Kaye's voice (he plays Cronus (sic!) in the cartoon).

TM2-Megs: This one is actually not post-converted, I think. I saw it in Imax 3D, and some scenes like the labyrinth around Tartaros were incredible.

Granted, I too prefer 2D, all in all. Mostly because 3D glasses make the screen darker, at least for me. Plus wearing them over my actual glasses is uncomfortable.

Edited by BB Shockwave, 04 April 2012 - 08:32 AM.

#15 NICK TYRANNO

NICK TYRANNO

Live Free or Dinosaur.

• Supporter
  • 9748 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:42 AM

Yeah, I saw it in 2d. It was exactly what I thought it would be, so I wasn't disappointed.

#16 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 2581 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 04:24 AM

Did the Cyclopes kill any of the soldiers? It wasn't too clear (messy).

Yeah, I'm still disappointed on the maze. It was suppose to be a greatest puzzle of all and fueled by your greatest fear then what did they do to get past it? Sheesh.

I know the movie isnt real mythology but Hephaestus is the son of Hera (and Zeus?) so how could he have built the triple spear to beat Kronos when he shouldn't even exist at that time? Unless Kronos escaped several times.
Feel the Fear!

#17 BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave

Arachnofiliac

• Citizen
  • 10077 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:44 AM

Nah, they just kicked them into the trees. I thought they killed one of the women, but she shows up again later just to be killed by Ares.

I think it's not as unfeasible that Hephaistos existed even back then. Gods are not born like humans... And btw, he is the son of Hera, and only Hera. She got jealous when Zeus created Pallas Athene (again, oddly absent from the movie) as a divine spark from his head, so she tried the same. But Hephaistos was so ugly, she threw him off from Olympus... hence the limp, he broke his leg when he fell.

Edited by BB Shockwave, 18 April 2012 - 08:44 AM.

#18 Glenn

Glenn

I have CDO. It's like OCD but in order, as it should be.

• Citizen
  • 5664 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:17 AM

Hephaestus has different origins depending on the author.. In one account he's the full son of Hera and Zeus, in another spawned by Hera's jealousy of Athena, and yet a third, he split Zeus's skull so Athena could be born...

#19 BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave

Arachnofiliac

• Citizen
  • 10077 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:52 AM

The last one is quite new to me as well. But I think the most widely accepted one is that Hera is the mother and only parent. I think that's what the romans adopted for Vulcanus as well. (Darn copycats! icon-fire.gif)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users