8 replies to this topic

#1 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 30101 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:13 PM

I got a DIY kit off new egg canada last week. The parts arrive slowly and I assembled slowly, with the barracuda HDD being the last to go in.

And the damn thing doesn't work. Lights blink, fans spin, no video output and no post beeps. The mouse lights up but the keyboard doesn't.

This isn't my first rodeo, I managed to get the last system I scratch built up to installing the OS before I hit any issues. I can usually make it to the post code and work it out from there. I'm no master, but not a rookie either and this has me completely frustrated. The last time I had a "no reaction" was years ago when I hugged up the CPU install (I hate that little lever.) and it worked great when I figured it out. I've run the gamut of troubleshooting and the only thing I haven't done is clear the CMOS settings... and I didn't do it because I don't have the parts. Yeah, missing the little black nobbly thing to put on the jumper pins.

So now I got nothing but the netbook and no idea what to do next.

Gigabyte 880gm-d2h rev 3.1 mobo, AMD FX6100 chip, ripjaw DDR3 ram 1600, and a seagate 1.5TB drive...

Little help please?

#2 CORVUS

CORVUS

Not the one you were expecting!

• Supporter
  • 27586 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:20 PM

Sounds like the CPU may be D.O.A.

Edited by ^0^CORVUS^o^, 22 March 2012 - 04:21 PM.

#3 Benbot

Benbot
  • Supporter
  • 2564 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:32 PM

This is why I will never build my own computer again. It's such a monumental pain in the ass, and not worth the money that you save.

#4 CORVUS

CORVUS

• Supporter
  • 27586 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:51 PM

I think its worth it myself, and I had a DOA CPU my first time too *lol*

#5 Hg Dragon

Hg Dragon

Shenaniganizer

• Citizen
  • 2334 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:54 PM

Either the power supply doesn't have enough juice to run the system (I just ran into the same issue with mine. Had to pull out the second video card so it would stay running. However, I still can't play and finish Deus Ex since it taxes the one card so much it draws too much power...) or you forgot to plug in the extra 4-pin power connector on the motherboard.

Also, try excluding a bad stick of RAM or bad RAM slot. Take all but one stick out and see if it will POST. Shut down and move it to the next slot. Repeat for all of your sticks to see if a stick or slot is bad. Also, make sure you have them slotted according to your motherboard's recommendations. Some are super-picky and simply will not POST if the slots aren't filled correctly.

Edited by Hg Dragon, 22 March 2012 - 04:57 PM.

#6 CORVUS

CORVUS

• Supporter
  • 27586 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 05:01 PM

Hmmm, agreed. I missed the bit about the Keyboard not lighting up. What's the wattage on that PSU?

Edited by ^0^CORVUS^o^, 22 March 2012 - 05:02 PM.

#7 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 30101 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 05:59 PM

550w. Selected specifically because of my beefy video accelerator. Also, the system itself goes no where regardless of whats plugged in. I popped all the ram cards and had the same results. I removed the video card and had the same results. Hell, left only the power supply and CPU in and got exactly the same results.

Newegg accepted the RMA, the chip and board are going back. Right now, I am unsure as to whether their getting refunded or replaced, but whatever, I ain't paying for dead tech. This ain't fallout.

#8 CORVUS

CORVUS

• Supporter
  • 27586 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:42 PM

Newegg is really good about that stuff, they will probably send replacements.

#9 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 30101 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:46 PM

Yeah, it got approved real quick, literally within minutes of sending the RMA request. I got it stripped, and boxed just now. I used one of the still hanging around new egg boxes some of the other parts came in: not how I wanted to test my Tamiya spray paint... but it covered well and the spray was even and pretty flawless... so I guess the afternoon wasn't a total loss.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users