#161 Rust

Rust

A star will come out of Jacob, a scepter will rise out of Israel

• Supporter
  • 35172 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:27 PM

QUOTE(Benbot @ Mar 27 2012, 03:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're describing the most basic premise. Other than that and some shared names, there's almost nothing in common between the two.

Autobots and Decepticons fight over powerful energy source with Humans caught in the Crossfire. (Movie One)
Autobots and Decepticons fight over production of life sustaining fuel with Humans caught in the Crossfire. A organization is formed specifically to combat Transformers (RAAT anyone?) (Movie Two)
The Ultimate Doom on the big screen (Movie Three)

You can not like the live action movies, that's fine. But the Live Action movies had a lot in common with G1 - heck, we even got multitudes of characters who just mainly stood around in the background with one or two lines. (Jolt is the Skids of the Movieverse).

I especially love how people scream racism at the twins while turning a blind eye to Jazz and Blaster's portrayal in the G1 Cartoon. It's not like racial stereotypes are anything new in the franchise.

As for IDW showing respect to Transformers...Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Tell me another one! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Numbers 24:17
lup_zps837154f7.jpg
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. Plato

#162 Tm_Silverclaw

Tm_Silverclaw
  • Citizen
  • 7911 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:42 PM

And yet people still gush over Furman who keeps writing the same basic stories over and over and over agan.....

#163 skankerzero

skankerzero

Living in Brazil now!!!

• Citizen
  • 6272 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:44 PM

QUOTE(Benbot @ Mar 27 2012, 03:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're describing the most basic premise. Other than that and some shared names, there's almost nothing in common between the two.

Using that as your basis for your argument, most of the TF fictions after G1 had 'no relation what-so-ever' to the original story line.
-----------
jesse sosa
owner / creative director
Dinosaur Games
studio art director
Samsung

#164 NICK TYRANNO

NICK TYRANNO

Live Free or Dinosaur.

• Supporter
  • 10746 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:57 PM

Transformers. Nightmare on Elm Street. Friday the 13th...all box office hits. Whether the internet liked them or not, the public sure showed up for them. Turtles are in good company.

Or do you not want the Turtles to be relevant again?

#165 Detour

Detour

People.... What a bunch of bastards!

• Supporter
  • 17922 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:32 PM

QUOTE(NICKSTART @ Mar 27 2012, 10:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Transformers. Nightmare on Elm Street. Friday the 13th...all box office hits. Whether the internet liked them or not, the public sure showed up for them. Turtles are in good company.

That's hilarious, some people are telling me Bay should stay away from Turtles because his production company's remakes of Texas Chainsaw and Nightmare were duds.

Also, that his Transformers movies were actually Bionicle movies with the name changed.
Evidently they're against Bay "raping" Transformers and Turtles, but they're fine with assuming Bay "raped" Bionicle's entire backstory. icon-fire.gif

You're far too young to be this bitter and angry at the world....

I'm reading that with Roy's voice. Heck, I read everything you post in a laconic Irish accent.

#166 NICK TYRANNO

NICK TYRANNO

Live Free or Dinosaur.

• Supporter
  • 10746 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:50 PM

I forgot about Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

I mean, his Freddy wasn't what *I* wanted out of a modern day Freddy, but I was cruising on the wikipedia and it did offensively well. Friday the 13th dropped off hard the weeks after it opened, but it still broke its share of records. Neither were bombs. And neither are meant to reach all audiences like Transformers or Turtles are.

#167 Static Signal

Static Signal

If we burn, you burn with us!

• Citizen
  • 8158 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:23 PM

QUOTE(Rust @ Mar 27 2012, 10:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As for IDW showing respect to Transformers...Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Tell me another one! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Actually, I was referring to their TMNT comics. Yeah, they totally raped the TransFormers. They're the reason I don't even collect TransFormer comics anymore. But no, the TMNT comics are actually pretty good. That's what I was referring to. Not the TF comics...hell no not the TF comics.

QUOTE(NICKSTART @ Mar 27 2012, 10:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Or do you not want the Turtles to be relevant again?

I never watched Friday the 13th. But I already stated my opinion of what Bay did to Transformers.?

And Nightmare on Elm Street, I did not realise that was a Bay production, but that explains some things. I'll admit that I didn't mind it too terribly much, but neither did it really make me clammor for more. It was okay at best. It had a few decent ideas (mostly the micro dreams while you're still awake). Mostly I thought it was just bland though.

I don't know about box office numbers, but I don't exactly see the studios rallying to make a sequel. I certainly haven't heard anything overwhelmingly good about it either.?

Bottom line though, they may have made a lot of money, or not. I don't have those figures. But Transformers, too relient on juvenile toilet humor and hard to watch embarresing parent moments. Nightmare on ElmStreet, bland. The Rock, okay until you realise just how little research Bay must've done on V.X. gas among other factual errors that make the explainations characters give painful to watch. Armageddon...can not...can not take this one seriously...at all...just...no!

So...sorry. I don't see TMNT as being in good company...at..all. And with a new Nickolodeon cartoon and toyline comming up with a currently ongoing comic series...at what point did you see the turtles not be relevent?

May the odds be ever in your favor.

#168 Detour

Detour

People.... What a bunch of bastards!

• Supporter
  • 17922 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:29 PM

Spoiler: Michael Bay produced the Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake, and that did well enough to warrant sequels.

Besides, if anything shouldn't have had sequels, it was the first TMNT movie. Vanilla Ice, Kevin Nash, abandonned train station and time travel.
I rest my case.

You're far too young to be this bitter and angry at the world....

I'm reading that with Roy's voice. Heck, I read everything you post in a laconic Irish accent.

#169 Cheetimus Primal

Cheetimus Primal

Commissions! cheetimus@cheetimus.com

• Forum Moderator
  • 46535 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:29 PM

I'm gonna just say it here.

Everyone is giving Bay FAR too much credit for what's going to happen in this movie. Especially when he's not even directing it and people won't shut the hell up about the damn explosions already.
16033035995_fdbb5bd884_o.jpg

#170 Rhapsody

Rhapsody

Little Black Bat

• Citizen
  • 23340 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:31 PM

QUOTE(Caldwin @ Mar 27 2012, 10:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So...sorry. I don't see TMNT as being in good company...at..all. And with a new Nickolodeon cartoon and toyline comming up with a currently ongoing comic series...at what point did you see the turtles not be relevent?

The point where only nerds and kids care about them.
3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

#171 Cheetimus Primal

Cheetimus Primal

• Forum Moderator
  • 46535 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:32 PM

I effing love TMNT and it was a staple of my childhood play pattern once it came along. Then I found the original comics and I never stopped loving them.
Now if this movie is great then I'll love it and gush about it. If it sucks I'll gripe a bit and move the hell on. This franchise has been milked so damn much that, like Transformers, there is so much more to it than the most recent movie and I can go enjoy that stuff like the new cartoon and multiple toy lines coming up.

So I give all the super-bitching a big, giant YAAAAAAWN. Call me when it's entertaining.

#172 Static Signal

Static Signal

If we burn, you burn with us!

• Citizen
  • 8158 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:52 PM

QUOTE(Cheetimus Primal @ Mar 28 2012, 12:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I effing love TMNT and it was a staple of my childhood play pattern once it came along. Then I found the original comics and I never stopped loving them.
Now if this movie is great then I'll love it and gush about it. If it sucks I'll gripe a bit and move the hell on. This franchise has been milked so damn much that, like Transformers, there is so much more to it than themost recent movie and I can go enjoy that stuff like the new cartoon and multiple toy lines coming up.

So I give all the super-bitching a big, giant YAAAAAAWN. Call me when it's entertaining.

I would say fair enough except for the fact that in the case of Transformers at least, the movie almost completely took over every aspect of TF.

Toys, a good 3/4 of what I see at TRU and every toy aisle of every store is Dark of the Moon. Generations and Prime get pushed into maybe two or three pegs. Hell, even the designs of Prime seem heavily modeled after Bays designs.

Comics, I don't really read those any more, but even those seem to have an inordinate amount of Dark of the Moon tie-in's given that the movie is nearly a year old.

I wouldn't be so worried about this movie, except that I don't want what happened to Transformers to happen to the turtles. ?I don't want 3/4 of everything I see modeled after some crap movie for years on end, meanwhile anything based on the good aspects of the franchise (Nick series, comic book) gets stuck on two little pegs.
May the odds be ever in your favor.

#173 Cheetimus Primal

Cheetimus Primal

• Forum Moderator
  • 46535 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:57 PM

QUOTE(Caldwin @ Mar 28 2012, 12:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would say fair enough except for the fact that in the case of Transformers at least, the movie almost completely took over every aspect of TF.

Past, present and future?

Lemme tell ya, I am NOT happy with the current state of mainstream comics. I've cut them out of my life and I am more than happy with the old stories. They will last me a lifetime.
If this movie really changes the state of TMNT then so be it but honestly TFs are an entirely different kind of property at this point. If the new movie is big enough to make that kind of lasting change on the property than HOT DAMN we should all be happy for that kind of exposure. While it would lead to movie style stuff (which NO ONE knows if it will be good or bad right now) it would also lead to more of the classic stuff getting more exposure as well.

So even if you're right I fail to see how it would be a bad thing.

#174 NICK TYRANNO

NICK TYRANNO

Live Free or Dinosaur.

• Supporter
  • 10746 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:02 AM

So, how many turtle toys are on shelves now? Or have been in the past three to four years?

Right now, I can talk with normal, everyday people about transformers. Their favorite characters, favorite scenes, favorite jokes... Like Transformers, the majority of everyone thinks turtles died 20 years ago. I would like to be able to have Turtle Talks with random people like I can do transformers now. I would like to meet people who think they're Turtles' number 1 fan even though they've only seen the new movie and remember the old cartoon.

That's what I mean by relevant.

And Caldwin, I know you're done with transformers comics, but you should check out their two new books. If you've ever liked transformers comics before, it might be worth your time.

#175 Cheetimus Primal

Cheetimus Primal

• Forum Moderator
  • 46535 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:15 AM

QUOTE(NICKSTART @ Mar 28 2012, 01:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So, how many turtle toys are on shelves now? Or have been in the past three to four years?

Right now, I can talk with normal, everyday people about transformers. Their favorite characters, favorite scenes, favorite jokes... Like Transformers, the majority of everyone thinks turtles died 20 years ago. I would like to be able to have Turtle Talks with random people like I can do transformers now. I would like to meet people who think they're Turtles' number 1 fan even though they've only seen the new movie and remember the old cartoon.

That's what I mean by relevant.

And Caldwin, I know you're done with transformers comics, but you should check out their two new books. If you've ever liked transformers comics before, it might be worth your time.

Who is this directed at? I'm so confused right now because I'm pretty sure we agree right now but I'm not sure if you were talking to me...

But yeah, if this film is successful, no matter how the fans feel, it can only be good for the franchise. If it fails then it fails. There will be another try at something Turtles related again in a few more years.

#176 NICK TYRANNO

NICK TYRANNO

Live Free or Dinosaur.

• Supporter
  • 10746 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:19 AM

You are correct! We're on the same page, Cheets. I just finished my post later than I expected. For second, I was distracted by like a million things.

#177 BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave

Hoarder of Toys

• Citizen
  • 10924 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:43 AM

QUOTE(Caldwin @ Mar 23 2012, 12:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(LBD @ Mar 22 2012, 04:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And unbelievably, Peter Laird is somewhat on board with this (gotta love how TMZ fabricated a quote from pieces of what Laird actually said).

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
Well, honestly, Laird doesn't pull as much weight with me as much as if Eastman had said it. And I would be quite willing to take a chill pill. I'd would take my usual "wait and see" stance that I take almost any time I start hearing doom and gloom about a movie I'd been wanting to see. I would except for Bay's track record has cost him any of my faith he might have otherwise had at this point. It's less of "oh I see one bad quote and I'm ready to write it off" as much as, in my mind at least, "oh, Uwe Boll got hold of my favorite franchise and look what he just said." Yes...I just compared Bay to Boll

The only difference between them is their allowed budgets. Both make bombastic action-flicks with juvenile humour and false, forced pathos - it's just Boll can only hire abysmal actors and produce crappy special effects.

QUOTE(NICKSTART @ Mar 28 2012, 05:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Even last year I could still find Paleo Patrol and other new TMNT toys in stores. The last show is still fresh in people's memories, and a new show is coming this year, so even without a huge new movie, Turtles would have lived on. It is hardly a case of Thundercats, where apart from a few comics, nothing happened to the franchise since the eighties.

Edited by BB Shockwave, 28 March 2012 - 01:45 AM.

ToC-Funtcuck.jpg

#178 NICK TYRANNO

NICK TYRANNO

Live Free or Dinosaur.

• Supporter
  • 10746 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:53 AM

Most people don't wonder into toy aisles, and most people don't watch childrens cartoons.

Most people, however, really loved the turtles when they were kids, and haven't thought much about them since.

#179 LBD "Nytetrayn"

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Quyzbuk

• Supporter
  • 14726 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:49 AM

QUOTE(Benbot @ Mar 27 2012, 10:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He left out the part where the camera zooms in super close and shakes uncontrollably so you can't tell what the hug is happening.

Unless it's in 3D; that made the third Transformers movie surprisingly easier to follow visually, since they had to account for how that would work...

QUOTE(Detour @ Mar 28 2012, 12:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...abandonned train station...

...what was wrong with that? I liked it...

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gif0g9jaoG.gifuWt4fLV.gif

6E96J7Z.jpg

gNLoMUt.png

#180 Benbot

Benbot
  • Supporter
  • 2976 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:06 AM

Any exposure is not good exposure. Why should any fan of TMNT care if the majority of the public is actively aware of what is currently happening with the Turtles franchise?

Edited by Benbot, 28 March 2012 - 09:07 AM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users