#1 CORVUS

CORVUS

Not the one you were expecting!

• Supporter
  • 27586 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:34 AM

Okay, he's pretty much done folks...

I'm trying to decide on whether or not to add the yellow-stripe, since a yellowish-orange stripe is present on the original G1 toy, and a yellow stripe appears on the original G1 Animated series model too. Decisions, decisions.

Anywhoozle, "Arn-hahhhd" here had a base-coat in some spots mixed from Tamiya Red, and Orange, and Testors Dark Tan. Then he was painted primarily in a mixture that included Tamiya Red, Tamiya Orange, and Reaper Red-Steel, with a little future added as well. I wanted the final product to have a color that hewed slightly towards a rust-red.

He has details in Testors Battleship Gray and Gunmetal, and also a Pewter-colored mixture made from Testors Gunmetal, Tamiya Copper, and Citadel Mithril Silver. The energon-blade was painted with Tamiya Clear-Blue, the backs of his headlights and his grille-guard were painted in straight Citadel Mithril Silver, and the backs of his brake-lights were painted with Tamita Red on one half, and Tamiya orange on the other, before being painted over with Tamiya clear Orange.

Lastly, his opaque window details were painted over in a mix of Testors Aluminum and Dark Blue, and his eyes were painted with a mix of Citadel Enchanted Blue and Testors Dragon White.

WHEW!

I am very pleased with the way he turned out, and I feel the looks so much better now that the Salmon-color plastic has been covered over. Honestly I dunno what Hasbro was thinking with that color *lol*

Vehicle-mode pics to come later! Comments are welcome!

#2 Random Items

Random Items

formerly chris parasyte

• Citizen
  • 9204 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:44 AM

I want to like this, Corvus. I really do! I mean, your paint work is - as always- really great and all... but Ironhide is just such a horrible mess of a figure to start with.
Tweets by @AvengersShow

#3 CORVUS

CORVUS

• Supporter
  • 27586 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:55 AM

Not a problem at all. I know full-well how unpopular he is, and that the scorn is justifiable. He's a poorly-designed and executed figure.

Worse still, the ridiculous aftermarket prices he goes for (and Ratchet is much worse). I held out and held out for a good price, and managed to snag one that was a bit scuffed up from a board-member for a very good price.

We need a new Ironhide and a new Ratchet as part of the 40 Generations figures in 2013 in the worst way.

#4 NICK TYRANNO

NICK TYRANNO

Live Free or Dinosaur.

• Supporter
  • 9162 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:56 AM

Oh yeah, he's totally an improvement. Very unified and the windows are pretty cool.

A while ago I switched all the red parts from my Ratchet with all his grey parts, and painted some of the same spots you did, which I think worked out great, but as is the consensus in the picture thread...what a sad figure.

#5 CORVUS

CORVUS

• Supporter
  • 27586 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:59 AM

Thanks Nick!

Sounds like a good swap. Now if I can find a Ratchet for much less than what he tends to go for, I'll be in good shape.

#6 CORVUS

CORVUS

• Supporter
  • 27586 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:44 AM

As promised:

While I'm pleased with the paint-work (especially the windows), there's less hope for his vehicle mode than his robot mode.

#7 dcjosh

dcjosh

Josh

• Citizen
  • 5402 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 22 March 2012 - 01:28 AM

just decepticreeps?

deceptichops need bustin too :\

-Click to view my Digital Portfolio-

#8 Cat

Cat

Official Stick Reviewer

• Supporter
  • 6990 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:38 AM

The alt-mode is just a lost cause.

Such a shame. Waited so many years for Ironhide and Ratchet, and we got....that monstrosity...

#9 CORVUS

CORVUS

• Supporter
  • 27586 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:28 AM

QUOTE(God Fire Convoy @ Mar 22 2012, 02:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
just decepticreeps?

deceptichops need bustin too :\

Their days are numbered because he's gonna start busting their Deceptichops icon-hotrod.gif

And I agree cat. I hope, hope, HOPE those 40 Generations figs in 2013 include a new Ironhide and Ratchet.

#10 NICK TYRANNO

NICK TYRANNO

Live Free or Dinosaur.

• Supporter
  • 9162 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:48 AM

I'd prefer an earth mode, but I'd even be satisfied with a cybertronian design if that's what they have to do to get me a better toy.

#11 CORVUS

CORVUS

• Supporter
  • 27586 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 01:13 PM

Well we'll probably be getting a FOC Ironhide, but I still want an Earth-Based version.

#12 Daytonus

Daytonus

Boring

• Retired Staff
  • 11761 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:36 AM

Deluxe Prime Ironhide's probably gonna basically be a G1 Ironhide too. I actually really like your take on this though. I've always thought he was a decent, if not stellar, toy.

#13 CORVUS

CORVUS

• Supporter
  • 27586 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:27 PM

Indeed he may be, but I dunno how well he'd fit in with a Classics display, especially since the deluxe toys have shrunk. We'll see.

And thanks icon-hotrod.gif

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users