Photo

Tales of graces f

9 replies to this topic

#1 Lizard King

Lizard King

I burned out my eyes, I cut off my tounge.

• Citizen
  • 9522 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:55 PM

Anybody pick this up today? I've been looking forward to it for a while. Ive really needed something to satiate my jrpg needs, and I think this will hit the spot.

#2 videomaster21XX

videomaster21XX

Oh boy...

• Citizen
  • 1226 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:05 PM

I had it pre-ordered in full like two weeks ago, so second I got off work I headed over and picked up my copy.

I'm not too far in it yet, but they really switched up how the battles work. I'm going to have to play around with them to figure out how it works this time.

Also the skits are Voiced! Woot!
Mary had a little lamb, whose fleece was as white as corn flakes!

#3 Lizard King

Lizard King

• Citizen
  • 9522 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:54 PM

Ive never played a tailed game before but this has me really intrigued

#4 Matthias Phage

Matthias Phage
  • Retired Staff
  • 8972 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:59 PM

I'm getting a copy when I eventually, inevitably get a PS3. Hopefully this year.

I'm a huge Tales of fan. Well, everything but Legendia. The battle system there did nothing for me - but I've heard great things about Graces f.

#5 videomaster21XX

videomaster21XX

Oh boy...

• Citizen
  • 1226 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:08 PM

QUOTE(Matthias Phage @ Mar 14 2012, 04:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm getting a copy when I eventually, inevitably get a PS3. Hopefully this year.

I'm a huge Tales of fan. Well, everything but Legendia. The battle system there did nothing for me - but I've heard great things about Graces f.

It's funny because this game is the reason -I- got a PS3. I was prepared to go without one for a while, but new Tales game? No way I can miss out on that. I'm a huge fan myself. With this game I now own EVERY single Tales game to be brought stateside, as well as a European port of Tales of Eternia for the PSP.

So I played more of the game last night, and I can say it definitely is worth the purchase from what I've experienced. The story has managed to capture me at least, and the characters are fun.

Just finished the child arc of the story. Now it's seven years later and I'm playing the main arc where main lead Asbel is about 17 or so. The fact you 'grow up' during the game isn't much of a spoiler. The child arc only lasts about two hours unless you drag it out.

As for the battle system, they really switched it up, and I think they did a marvelous job at it. In stead of the 2-D battles as in Tales Tradition, it's more of a 3D look as instead of running from side to side, you are running forward to back. You actually don't have normal attacks anymore in a sense.

The battle work via a CC gauge. Each action takes a number of CC to perform. Normal attacks use about 1 CC. You only get around 4-5 CC starting off in battle. The gauge automatically refills when you stand still. This forces you to use more strategy then just 'run up and attack' Thankfully blocking doesn't count toward CC usage. So if you stand still and block. The gauge refills. So I've gotten use to rushing up and attacking, only to block directly afterward, usually blocking the attack the enemy was about to do. You can also evade attacks while blocking, and evading correctly will fill up your CC gauge faster.

There is a way to extend how much CC you have in battle, but best I understand, it's to chain hits together and not take damage in return.

There is also a separate gauge on the left side of the screen that fills blue as you do well in battle and chain a lot of hits, or red as you get hit too much, or enemies chain hits upon you.

Fill this gauge out blue and you enter some sorta tension field where the CC gauge disappears and you can wail on the enemy as much as you want. If the gauge fills red though, the enemies can do the same.

Last is the new way the artes work. Normal attacks are linked with 'fighting artes' so assuming you have enough CC. Those familiar with Tales games know that you can usually do artes/special moves by holding up/down/left right/ or no direction when pressing the 'arte' button. Now if you hold up while attacking normally, you'll attack normally and continue with one of your fighting artes.

Once you end the childhood arc, you get burst arts which work much the same way normal artes did in the older games.

I've yet to see how 'Mystic Artes' work, but I'm sure they are in here.

I could go on about a couple of the other little things this game does, but I'll stop for now. At least that should give you some sort of idea on the battle system, and hopefully help you decide if you want the game.

I'm having a blast with it. ^_^

#6 Lizard King

Lizard King

• Citizen
  • 9522 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:27 PM

That was really informative. Thank you. I don't have a problem with western style RPGs, but I've really been yearning for a more traditional rpg. I don't know why they've fallen out of favor so much. I think this looks like it'll really hit the spot though.

#7 mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon

The world suffused with sound

• Supporter
  • 17123 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:24 AM

QUOTE(Lizard King @ Mar 14 2012, 04:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't know why they've fallen out of favor so much.

Not really. They've just moved onto the handhelds and the like.

Problem is, "traditional" JRPGs are really expensive and intensive to produce for the HD consoles. Fans expect a bajillion different, sprawling environments, massive cityscapes, hundreds of different species of monsters to fight, more weapons and loot than you can shake a stick at, and so on and so forth. The amount of detail that goes into each and every one of those things is absolutely insane, and now they're expected to make them in near photo-realistic graphics to boot.

It's no wonder that production has slowed greatly, with more emphasis put on sequels such that assets can be reused as much as possible without coming off as cheap.

#8 Lizard King

Lizard King

• Citizen
  • 9522 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:27 AM

Dude, someone can make a good traditional rpg. It's just that people expect RPGs like mass effect and fall out these days. That's just the industry standard. I've been meaning to check out some handheld RPGs though. I have an ds xli or something like that, but I mainly bought it for Pokemon.

#9 Asquian

Asquian
  • Supporter
  • 21605 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:40 AM

PSP seems to be the platform of choice for the JRPGs, not that I'm complaining, it's let me get some nice updated ports of PSX classics. I'm going to pick this iteration of the Tale series up eventually, but I keep holding out hope for the remake of ToD to come stateside as well, maybe actually translate all the content this time.(Plus the ability to recruit a certain person's sister without a cheat device would be nice).

#10 videomaster21XX

videomaster21XX

Oh boy...

• Citizen
  • 1226 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:25 PM

QUOTE(Asquian @ Mar 15 2012, 06:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
PSP seems to be the platform of choice for the JRPGs, not that I'm complaining, it's let me get some nice updated ports of PSX classics. I'm going to pick this iteration of the Tale series up eventually, but I keep holding out hope for the remake of ToD to come stateside as well, maybe actually translate all the content this time.(Plus the ability to recruit a certain person's sister without a cheat device would be nice).

I'd like to say that I'm with you for that hope, but I think we both know the answer to this. Probably has about as much chance as Legends 3 coming out now. *sigh*

We've missed out on too many Tales games. If I had my wish, I'd like for the PSP version of Tales of Phantasia to make it stateside.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users