#1 MrBlud

MrBlud

Pipes must've sprayed me...I'm sorry

• Forum Moderator
  • 46703 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 09 March 2012 - 11:59 PM

G.I. Joe Renegades: Season One, Vol. 1

Now I like the show don't get me wrong but the "purchasing fanbase" for THAT is infinitely smaller then the one for FiM. Which, let's not forget, just got a jivety "sampler" DVD with random episodes instead of something like this.

What the hell?

#2 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron

Happy Nightmare Night!

• Supporter
  • 9409 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:04 AM

The recent TF:Prime Season 1 on Blu-Ray kind of made me scratch my head, as well. Shout! Factory must be aware by now via customer feedback and activity on their forums that FiM could easily sell similar Blu-Ray season sets.

#3 MrBlud

MrBlud

• Forum Moderator
  • 46703 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:05 AM

I don't really fault the for the Transformers since it's kinda huge right now with the movies and such.

I know Prime will sell more then FiM but Renegades (even for how good it legitimately was) will not do better then an FiM set would.

#4 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron

Happy Nightmare Night!

• Supporter
  • 9409 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:10 AM

Oh, I'm sure Prime will sell better than Renegades, and probably better than FiM would too, ultimately. I just figured Blu-Ray isn't something they'd see fit to bother with for any children's programming at all, since I suppose it's more expensive to produce than a DVD. But after seeing that, I have to conclude that they're perfectly capable of producing a Blu-Ray season set if they want to; the mystery is why they're ignoring such strong calls from their own community to produce a Season 1 Blu-Ray (and DVD) set of FiM. It may not sell as much as Prime, but it'll definitely sell. Hell, I'd buy two (Blu-Ray, anyway; if it were only DVD I'd buy 1).

Edited by TM2-Megatron, 10 March 2012 - 12:13 AM.

#5 Matenshi

Matenshi
  • Citizen
  • 288 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:21 AM

Hasbro still seems to be ignoring the success and potential of the show in general, putting about as little effort into things as they did with the franchise prior to FiM. I can understand not expecting any more out of it than the previous series in the beginning, but it's kind of ridiculous at this point.

Edited by Matenshi, 10 March 2012 - 12:23 AM.

#6 Sobana

Sobana

Destroyer of Love & Identity Thief

• MORON
  • 0 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:33 AM

Maybe they are scared to move away from what the show was originally intended for, little girls.
Spoiler

#7 MrBlud

MrBlud

• Forum Moderator
  • 46703 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:45 AM

But this exists

Not to belittle G1 MLP (I even had a Wind Whistler as a youngin') but THAT gets a season set and FiM doesn't? That doesn't make sense.

#8 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron

Happy Nightmare Night!

• Supporter
  • 9409 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:52 AM

That's nostalgia at work. Girl's TV shows almost never seem to get very good home video releases until quite a while after they air. If I were a girl, I'd be insulted at how decidedly not seriously these companies take girls (and presumably their parents) as potential customers. I suppose they assume it's mostly little boys that parents want to shut up for half-an-hour by sitting them in front of a TV, and that the parents of little girls won't spend too much time shopping in the DVD/BD section for their kid.

It took the Powerpuff Girls ages to get a complete series set too, but that finally came after a number of random episode collection DVDs. FiM will probably be released properly eventually, and I'd like to think it'll be sooner rather than later, but who can say for sure.

Edited by TM2-Megatron, 10 March 2012 - 12:55 AM.

#9 Matenshi

Matenshi
  • Citizen
  • 288 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:17 AM

QUOTE(Sobana @ Mar 9 2012, 09:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe they are scared to move away from what the show was originally intended for, little girls.

I'm not sure whether this comment or the fact there's a valid reason for such a comment is worse. icon-screamer.gif

#10 Sobana

Sobana

• MORON
  • 0 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:48 AM

QUOTE(Matenshi @ Mar 10 2012, 01:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not sure whether this comment or the fact there's a valid reason for such a comment is worse. icon-screamer.gif

What? Little girls? lol And I'm sorry *huggles*
Spoiler

#11 Matenshi

Matenshi
  • Citizen
  • 288 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 02:08 AM

QUOTE(Sobana @ Mar 9 2012, 10:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Matenshi @ Mar 10 2012, 01:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What? Little girls? lol And I'm sorry *huggles*

That a show isn't worth a proper release just because it's "for girls", I mean.

There's a huge problem of neglect in general for "girl things", from shows to video games to toys. The quality tends to be crap, and the few things that aren't crap still usually get written off as being so with no basis.

Edited by Matenshi, 10 March 2012 - 02:09 AM.

#12 Agent X

Agent X

These Ponies are holding on my heart like a handgrenade.

• Citizen
  • 2132 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:14 PM

QUOTE(MrBlud @ Mar 10 2012, 12:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But this exists

Not to belittle G1 MLP (I even had a Wind Whistler as a youngin') but THAT gets a season set and FiM doesn't? That doesn't make sense.

To the above:
FiM wasn't released in TWO-THOUSAND FOUR! By Rhino, who isn't Shout!. Yeah, I can see how that dosen't make sense.

To all the other doomsayers:
Shout! knows Transformers and G.I.Joe have established sales and have prior sales data.

Shout! dosen't prior sales data for MLP (which is surprising given all their retro releases) so the "Friendship Express" DVD is their test for the MLP waters. Want season box sets? Tell them by buying the DVD. Its only $10 and you can always upgrade.

Otherwise-
Chill the hug out! Shout!s got this.
"Some people collect other characters like Jazz or Hot Shot and its encouraged, but I stockpile Cybertron Crosswises and that makes ME the strange one."

#13 Sobana

Sobana

• MORON
  • 0 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:05 PM

Actually, my friend just confirmed she seen a box set DVD of FiM of the first 13 episodes for $40.
Spoiler

#14 MrBlud

MrBlud

• Forum Moderator
  • 46703 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:11 PM

FiM wasn't released in TWO-THOUSAND FOUR! By Rhino, who isn't Shout!. Yeah, I can see how that dosen't make sense.

Want a more apt example then?

This exists

TWO VOLUMES OF IT!

Then they insinuate FiM doesn't have "enough of a fandom" to support season sets. Because hugging C.O.P.S. does. icon-primal.gif

#15 corgsopal

corgsopal

It was catastro-, catastro-feeling good

• Supporter
  • 5043 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:26 AM

I'd buy FiM season sets. I'd also buy Kim Possible season sets. And I'd love to finish my animaniacs and 2k Turtles and Muppet Show sets as well.
Reclaim the suffix.

#16 Scavgraphics

Scavgraphics

Sometimes bad ponies make the best good ponies!

• Supporter
  • 4873 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:40 AM

QUOTE(Corgsopal @ Mar 12 2012, 01:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd buy FiM season sets. I'd also buy Kim Possible season sets. And I'd love to finish my animaniacs and 2k Turtles and Muppet Show sets as well.

This

It's also worth mentioning in regards to GI JOE Renegades, there is a movie coming out, so they like to have new product on the shelves.

#17 Waspinator

Waspinator

Is that your final Dandy?

• Citizen
  • 20298 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 01:00 AM

Yeah, the GI Joe movie probably helps raise interest in making other GI Joe related stuff.

#18 Matenshi

Matenshi
  • Citizen
  • 288 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 01:23 AM

For anyone who has watched Renegades, would you say it's similar to the original ARAH comics (or at least closer than the 80's cartoon)? Does it draw stories/ideas from them, or have a similar tone?

Edited by Matenshi, 12 March 2012 - 01:24 AM.

#19 Agent X

Agent X

These Ponies are holding on my heart like a handgrenade.

• Citizen
  • 2132 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 12 March 2012 - 01:41 AM

QUOTE(MrBlud @ Mar 11 2012, 09:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Want a more apt example then?

This exists

TWO VOLUMES OF IT!

Then they insinuate FiM doesn't have "enough of a fandom" to support season sets. Because hugging C.O.P.S. does. icon-primal.gif

"DVD Release Date: February 28, 2006". Only TWO years later than your first example. And SIX years before FiM. So dude:

1) Calm down.

2) Breathe.

As much as i WANT DVDs, its not like FiM is a show that isn't readily available to watch by other means, so this "No DVD RAGE!!" thing comes off more as a "support of the show" thing. Support that CAN be shown, especially to Shout!, by way of the (Admitilly small) DVD already available.

Now, where did Shout! "insinuate" no market for FiM?
"Some people collect other characters like Jazz or Hot Shot and its encouraged, but I stockpile Cybertron Crosswises and that makes ME the strange one."

#20 WorkbenchManiac

WorkbenchManiac
  • Citizen
  • 1120 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 12 March 2012 - 03:27 AM

QUOTE(Matenshi @ Mar 12 2012, 01:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For anyone who has watched Renegades, would you say it's similar to the original ARAH comics (or at least closer than the 80's cartoon)? Does it draw stories/ideas from them, or have a similar tone?

I have only seen the first couple of episodes (8-10 maybe?), but it's the A-team as a cartoon. A group of four soldiers are accused of a crime they did not commit, and now they are on the run from the military police while trying to absolve themselves from their crimes and expose the Cobra-corporation (the real criminals).

They even have a cool van and a big burly black dude.

The tone is less goofy than the 80's cartoon, it's a bit more serious.

Edited by WorkbenchManiac, 12 March 2012 - 03:28 AM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users