Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Ever wonder why Transformers can move so fast?

61 replies to this topic

#1 Stungun

Stungun

Mythbusting

• Citizen
  • 13436 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:57 PM

I'm gonna copy and paste what I added to the Fridge Brilliance/Transformers page on TVTropes:

In most, if not all Transformers series - particularly the Japanese series, the live-action movies and Transformers Prime - the Transformers move with impossible grace and agility despite being Humongous Mecha. However, this can be seen as Fridge Brilliance since, in the movies and the Marvel G1 continuity, Cybertron is MUCH larger than Earth - in Marvel G1, it's stated to be the size of Saturn, while in the movies, it appears to be more the size of a Super-Earth. Logically, Cybertron must have a MUCH higher gravity than Earth due to its greater mass, and so, Transformers are Heavy Worlders - on their home planet, they'd probably have an agility more like a human's, meaning non-rocket-assisted jumps wouldn't be too high. On the much smaller Earth, though, they can run faster, jump higher, and are generally more agile - much like Silver Age Superman.

Plus, unlike most humongous mecha, they aren't built by humans... usually. And since they're machines, they wouldn't suffer the same effects a human would being stranded in a lower-gravity environment.

Edited by Spin Out, 09 March 2012 - 08:59 PM.

QUOTE(Detour @ Sep 13 2013, 09:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It really depresses me when I see kids getting the intelligent cartoons and "adults" getting the most immature garbage ever animated.

#2 Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime

Thank you for choosing Ponyville Trailways!

• Citizen
  • 5696 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 09:33 PM

However, Chip Chase...but then, of course, Chip Chase.

#3 Magnusblitz

Magnusblitz
  • Citizen
  • 3133 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 09:39 PM

I haven't really ever wondered, no... I figure they're bigger but proportional to humans, so they can move at roughly the same speed. Should this not be the case? Would something that size be slowed by mass/density/whatever problems? They can be made out of Cybertronium and run on Energon or whatever so its easy enough to handwave comparisons to human-made machines not having the energy to move so much weight.

Also, Cybertron in Sunbow was about the size of the moon IIRC, maybe even smaller.

#4 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

Purple Chrome makes the best better

• Citizen
  • 21508 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 09 March 2012 - 09:42 PM

also they are the children of God... so they are not necessarily limited by out understanding of reality
Tammy,',tec,OP,Shenanigans,Jen,Destron and some other guy. Thursdays.
"next week not 12hours long"

#5 Hecate

Hecate

When should we three meet as one?

• Citizen
  • 25733 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 09:43 PM

It's Just A Show, You Should Really Just Relax~

I am what I am.

#6 Dake

Dake

I can see my house from here!

• Supporter
  • 12522 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 11:28 PM

High strength, low mass super alloy metals and anti grav tech.

Back to basics

#7 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

I don't like the color...

• Supporter
  • 2833 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:58 AM

Of all the things to obsessively nerd over. I mean, almost every Transformer since the beginning has been a walking physics violation. I mean, if you can get your brain past the mass-shifting, I think the whole 'why do they move so fast' thing should be pretty much a non-issue.

On the other hand I have wondered why certain Transformers can move so quickly despite their comparative size, but it never bothered me too much. I mean, I just watched a motorcycle turn into a huge female robot, I can hardly start picking nits at that point.
--The Doctor Who

I am The PoeT
Follow my Journey

#8 WorkbenchManiac

WorkbenchManiac
  • Citizen
  • 1120 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 02:05 AM

QUOTE(Hora Hora @ Mar 9 2012, 09:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's Just A Show, You Should Really Just Relax~

Words of wisdom.

#9 Bug-Saw

Bug-Saw

The artist formerly known as Hornet

• Citizen
  • 10229 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 09:37 AM

QUOTE(The Doctor Who @ Mar 10 2012, 02:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I mean, almost every Transformer since the beginning has been a walking physics violation.

I honestly think people take the laws of physics too seriously. Isn't the whole point of science is to keep an open mind since there's never 100% proof for the certainty of anything?

#10 ▲ndrusi

▲ndrusi

So apparently Gravatars work here now.

• Supporter
  • 19493 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 11:05 AM

QUOTE(Bug-Saw @ Mar 10 2012, 09:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I honestly think people take the laws of physics too seriously.

I know! I float off into the sky and pass through solid walls every Tuesday night, and you don't see the Science Police coming and busting me. It's just not that big of a deal.

QUOTE(orionpax44 @ Jun 24 2012, 01:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Childrens toys? whaa the boxes seriously say ages 5+ I consider myself the plus.
QUOTE(mx-01 archon @ Sep 9 2012, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're talking to ▲ndrusi. Assume everything that he posts is snark.

#11 WorkbenchManiac

WorkbenchManiac
  • Citizen
  • 1120 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 11:29 AM

I honestly think people take the laws of physics too seriously. Isn't the whole point of science is to keep an open mind since there's never 100% proof for the certainty of anything?

If keep your mind open open that far, your brains will fall out.

#12 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

I don't like the color...

• Supporter
  • 2833 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 03:30 PM

QUOTE(The Doctor Who @ Mar 10 2012, 02:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I mean, almost every Transformer since the beginning has been a walking physics violation.

Well, no, the point of science is to put observations under a very precise and exacting set of requirements before accepting them as fact. A good scientist, however, will not ignore a result just because it's unexpected or unexplainable at the time, but at the same time they won't throw out known laws at a whim, especially when those laws have a long history of predicable and reliable results. To totally overturn the basic principles of physics would take a very, VERY large discovery and a lot of proof.

QUOTE(WorkbenchManiac @ Mar 10 2012, 11:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If keep your mind open open that far, your brains will fall out.

This is also an acceptable answer XD

Edited by The Doctor Who, 10 March 2012 - 03:31 PM.

--The Doctor Who

I am The PoeT
Follow my Journey

#13 Mr Smitt

Mr Smitt

The Trukk-Munky

• Citizen
  • 1630 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 05:50 PM

Since I prefer 'smaller than earth' cybertron to saturn-sized cybertron, this is an unacceptable answer to a question I never asked icon-fire.gif

#14 Shockwave 75

Shockwave 75

We need to get this place sprayed.

• Supporter
  • 4444 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 10 March 2012 - 06:02 PM

Since it has been brought up in the past that some people believe that the TF's, especially the very large ones, would be crushed under their own weight, I think this is an interesting theory as to why they wouldn't be.

As for all the "It's just a show" responces, if that's how you guys truely feel then maybe it's time to sell your collections and move on. After all, isn't this kind of speculation just the sort of thing that communities like this are here to discuss?

When you collect MISB/OSC, you're not collecting figures you're collecting boxes!

#15 Bug-Saw

Bug-Saw

The artist formerly known as Hornet

• Citizen
  • 10229 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 06:04 PM

QUOTE(The Doctor Who @ Mar 10 2012, 05:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, no, the point of science is to put observations under a very precise and exacting set of requirements before accepting them as fact. A good scientist, however, will not ignore a result just because it's unexpected or unexplainable at the time, but at the same time they won't throw out known laws at a whim, especially when those laws have a long history of predicable and reliable results. To totally overturn the basic principles of physics would take a very, VERY large discovery and a lot of proof.

The thing is, scientists are just human so they're interpreting things from their limited human perspective.

#16 WorkbenchManiac

WorkbenchManiac
  • Citizen
  • 1120 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 06:46 PM

QUOTE(Shockwave 75 @ Mar 10 2012, 06:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As for all the "It's just a show" responces, if that's how you guys truely feel then maybe it's time to sell your collections and move on. After all, isn't this kind of speculation just the sort of thing that communities like this are here to discuss?

Yes, if you don't care about the made-up physics of a cartoon about giant alien robots, way more than the creators ever did, then you don't deserve toys.

The thing is, scientists are just human so they're interpreting things from their limited human perspective.

May I suggest you drop the topic? You obviously do not know what you are talking about, and I'm not sure I'd like to derail the thread into a lecture about the scientific process.

#17 Starfield

Starfield
  • Citizen
  • 1277 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 10 March 2012 - 06:57 PM

Transformers aren't always that fast. They walk (and sometimes run) the same pace as human children in most series.

But yea, when they want to, they can be very fast. How? Advanced technology, of course.

Edited by Starfield, 10 March 2012 - 07:02 PM.

#18 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

New information acquired.

• Citizen
  • 8015 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 10 March 2012 - 07:10 PM

Also, computer brains.

I've always just assumed that TF reflexes are much much faster than humans' (to the point where gun-fu bullet-dodging is sometimes possible).

#19 TheMightyMollusk

TheMightyMollusk

Victory is red in tooth and claw

• Citizen
  • 15597 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 10 March 2012 - 07:18 PM

Sufficiently advanced technology. 'Nuff said.

#20 ▲ndrusi

▲ndrusi

So apparently Gravatars work here now.

• Supporter
  • 19493 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 07:27 PM

QUOTE(Mr Smitt @ Mar 10 2012, 05:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Since I prefer 'smaller than earth' cybertron to saturn-sized cybertron, this is an unacceptable answer to a question I never asked icon-fire.gif

Maybe it's also very, very dense.

QUOTE(orionpax44 @ Jun 24 2012, 01:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Childrens toys? whaa the boxes seriously say ages 5+ I consider myself the plus.
QUOTE(mx-01 archon @ Sep 9 2012, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're talking to ▲ndrusi. Assume everything that he posts is snark.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users