39 replies to this topic

#1 Hardbot

Hardbot

Hush, now! Listen to your master.

• Citizen
  • 856 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:21 AM

I mailed my personal check on 2/28. No confirmation by Fun Pub. yet, and no sign of the check having been cashed on my account yet. What are the chances that I won't be locked in for the 2012 exclusive Runamuck? Has anyone gotten any type of confirmation yet?

#2 SpectroScott

SpectroScott
  • Citizen
  • 801 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:13 AM

I'm sure you will be fine. They are hand processing the renewals so it could take a few more days for the check to get processed. Since it only needed to travel from VA to TX, I'm sure its already at the office if you sent it on the 28th.
Blog: http://jeremiahscott.blogspot.com/ It's mostly food related.

#3 Mouse_Pad

Mouse_Pad

It's a nice day for a...

• Citizen
  • 6887 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:01 PM

My check cleared, but I haven't received any confirmation from FP. At least I've got the image of the check to prove that I paid.
I have signatures disabled because they suck.

#4 hupla

hupla
  • Citizen
  • 213 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:08 PM

Mailing out my MO today, didn't want to cut it so close but I had to wait for an extra cheque because my mom needed to borrow money to fix her car and I didn't expect Online renewals to be closed till after the deadline. Really hope I can still get Runamuck D:

#5 mignash

mignash
  • MORON
  • 0 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:27 PM

I have to renew too. I take it we are not using credit cards with Fun Pub at the moment?

#6 Galenraff

Galenraff

Oh, by the way I've cracked the code.

• Special Projects Manager
  • 31306 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:43 PM

Wouldn't recommend it.

Also I think it's a good idea to give them a bit of time, seeing as how they're most likely pretty darn busy right now dealing with all this stuff.

LookUp_zps6fe77c23.jpg

#7 MrBlud

MrBlud

Pipes must've sprayed me...I'm sorry

• Forum Moderator
  • 46390 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:45 PM

Their store is still being reworked.

They said as long as the had the check or M.O. in the mail by the 9th you should be fine.

#8 Spectre

Spectre

Full of joy.

• Retired Staff
  • 7937 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:03 PM

Huh. Well. Oops.

Guess I'll just buy Runamuck later.

#9 ExVee

ExVee

Unmentionable

• Supporter
  • 7974 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:20 PM

Now, I forget, did FunPub maybe prolong the renewal deadline after the whole credit card security breakdown and switching back to mail-in forms? Because given all that's happened that seems like the absolute least they could do in consideration for their members who still want to stick with them.

@exveebrawn | @FigureReviewers

Sentai and Tokusatsu podcast!
Superhero Time - Here We Go!
@Superhero_Time

The Original Transformers Internet Radio Show
Radio Free Cybertron

#10 Engledogg

Engledogg
  • Citizen
  • 1936 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:01 AM

My check cleared, but I haven't received any confirmation from FP. At least I've got the image of the check to prove that I paid.

Someone over at 2005 seemed to have luck confirming their renewal by calling the toll-free number (1-817-448-9863).

http://www.tfw2005.c...tml#post7399991

I contacted Angie (angie@funpubinc.com) and she was able to confirm that my payment was received and processed and that my membership was renewed.

As far as a timeline goes, I mailed my payment on Feb. 25th and sent her an e-mail that day to let them know payment was in the mail and would likely be received Feb. 28th (according to the postal employee). She replied to check back in a week or so since the snail mail renewals were being processed by hand. So, the following Monday (March 5th) I e-mailed her to find out what was up, receiving a reply that the money order was received and that my renewal was processed.

Now, I forget, did FunPub maybe prolong the renewal deadline after the whole credit card security breakdown and switching back to mail-in forms? Because given all that's happened that seems like the absolute least they could do in consideration for their members who still want to stick with them.

Nope, they're sticking to the March 16th deadline.

MIKE
engledogg

Edited by Engledogg, 09 March 2012 - 12:11 AM.

#11 G.B.Blackrock

G.B.Blackrock

Autobot Ally

• Supporter
  • 9330 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:26 AM

QUOTE(ExVee @ Mar 8 2012, 08:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Apparently they can't (a lot of folks will make it sound as though Fun Pub is choosing to hold to the deadline rather than show mercy to folks who have been affected by Fun Pub's problems--which are many. The explanations Fun Pub has given--such as they are--make it pretty obvious that Fun Pub isn't extending the deadline because they can't extend it for some logistical reason or another. I don't pretend to know what that reason is, but I'm more than a little tired of people assuming nefarious motives on Fun Pub's part).

Edited by G.B.Blackrock, 09 March 2012 - 12:26 AM.

TransformingSeminarian.2.gif
Curator of The Unofficial Convention and Club Exclusive data pages (now with a new URL thanks to Captured Prey).

#12 C16

C16

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• Citizen
  • 6911 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 09 March 2012 - 01:32 AM

Wait, if they're taking payment by mail for renewal, are you also able to register to the convention in the same way?

#13 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

President of the Deflowering Club

• News and Content
  • 48576 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:18 AM

I'm certain there are a whole lot of problems/issues if they decide to extend the deadline past March 16th.

The one I'm most concerned about is delaying the sending out of Runamuck. Randy wants his Runamuck. icon-fire.gif

I for one am glad they have not.

Randy

#14 GodmasterElvis

GodmasterElvis

You dingbat, you get in the kitchen and make me the food.

• Citizen
  • 288 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:51 AM

QUOTE(G.B.Blackrock @ Mar 8 2012, 11:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The explanations Fun Pub has given--such as they are--make it pretty obvious that Fun Pub isn't extending the deadline because they can't extend it for some logistical reason or another. I don't pretend to know what that reason is, but I'm more than a little tired of people assuming nefarious motives on Fun Pub's part).

QUOTE(Powered Convoy @ Mar 9 2012, 06:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm certain there are a whole lot of problems/issues if they decide to extend the deadline past March 16th.

I've not been one sharpening the pitchforks or lighting the torches yet, but I have to ask....is everyone suffering from Stockholm syndrome? I respect the possibility that there are some valid logistical reason to maintain the deadline. But absent other information, it seems roughly as likely that they're holding the deadline because they always hold the deadline. Organizations of all shapes and sizes tend to stick to prior operating procedure regardless of if the original logic behind that procedure continues to hold.

Thus far, the only piece of info I've seen is just that they're describing it as a "hard internal deadline." That could mean that by waiting until the 17th, organizing BotCon becomes unwieldy. It could also mean that in every other year they get emails on March 18th pleading to get the current year's figure and so they have to have rigid policies to deal with that issue. If it's the second, they're kind of botching their crisis management by not extending the deadline. If it's the first, they're botching their crisis management by providing no information.

I'm not arguing this is a nefarious act, I'm arguing this is an act of inertia.
You've got to have a goat.

#15 ▲ndrusi

▲ndrusi

So apparently Gravatars work here now.

• Supporter
  • 19996 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 09 March 2012 - 11:11 AM

What you (and everyone else crying foul on FP for not extending the deadline) are missing is that this isn't a toy preorder, it's an event that occurs annually. Once a year, something happens--specifically, everyone who's a member of the club at that moment gets put on a "you get a toy" list. If I signed up on March 1 last year, then I get Side Burn; if I signed up on April 3, then I get Runamuck; but I always get some toy because a membership lasts one year and the dates are exactly one year apart.

Now, let's see what happens when we try pushing the date back by, say, a month. The deadline is now April 16. Sounds great, right? Except, remember, it's not a preorder, it's an event. The guy who signed up on March 1 last year is still fine, because he already has Side Burn, but the guy who signed up on April 3 gets screwed over. He was too late for Side Burn, and now he's too early for Runamuck, so he gets no free membership toy at all.

"But Andrusi!" you say. "Couldn't FP just credit all current members with a month of extra membership time?" Well, sure, you could. Of course, then the guy who signed up March 1 gets both Side Burn and Runamuck for the price of one membership, which probably messes up Runamuck's production numbers, and also probably makes him a little grumpy if he already paid his $40 to renew for the sake of getting Runamuck. And yes, I'm sure there's some way to work around that, but by this point we're getting into compensations for compensations for compensations over something that, frankly, boils down to people waiting until the last possible second to do something and then complaining when they run into last-minute problems. And I don't appreciate being accused of various "convincing yourself you like a terrible situation" cliches for being able to accept this.

QUOTE(orionpax44 @ Jun 24 2012, 01:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Childrens toys? whaa the boxes seriously say ages 5+ I consider myself the plus.
QUOTE(mx-01 archon @ Sep 9 2012, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're talking to ▲ndrusi. Assume everything that he posts is snark.

#16 C16

C16

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• Citizen
  • 6911 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 03:59 PM

So what about us who have been waiting for their online store to get back up to get in? Sounds like we're getting unintentionally screwed. Sure, there's mailing in a check, but I honestly didn't know this until now. I don't know if I could even get a Runamuck if I sent in a renewal today.

Edited by C16, 09 March 2012 - 04:03 PM.

#17 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

President of the Deflowering Club

• News and Content
  • 48576 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:03 PM

QUOTE(C16 @ Mar 9 2012, 03:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So what about us who have been waiting for their online store to get back up to get in? We've been unfairly screwed. Sure, there's mailing in a check, but I honestly didn't know this until now. I don't know if I could even get a Runamuck if I sent in a renewal today.

I'd call them on the phone or just try and send the check in now any way. Call them Monday (if they're closed for the weekend) and let them know to expect it.

Randy

#18 C16

C16

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• Citizen
  • 6911 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:07 PM

Would it be fine as long as it was postmarked before the 15th or would it have to arrive and be processed before then?

Also, is mail in registration for Botcon possible?

Edited by C16, 09 March 2012 - 04:07 PM.

#19 GodmasterElvis

GodmasterElvis

You dingbat, you get in the kitchen and make me the food.

• Citizen
  • 288 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 05:07 PM

QUOTE(▲ndrusi @ Mar 9 2012, 10:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What you (and everyone else crying foul on FP for not extending the deadline) are missing is that this isn't a toy preorder, it's an event that occurs annually. Once a year, something happens--specifically, everyone who's a member of the club at that moment gets put on a "you get a toy" list. If I signed up on March 1 last year, then I get Side Burn; if I signed up on April 3, then I get Runamuck; but I always get some toy because a membership lasts one year and the dates are exactly one year apart.

Now, let's see what happens when we try pushing the date back by, say, a month. The deadline is now April 16. Sounds great, right? Except, remember, it's not a preorder, it's an event. The guy who signed up on March 1 last year is still fine, because he already has Side Burn, but the guy who signed up on April 3 gets screwed over. He was too late for Side Burn, and now he's too early for Runamuck, so he gets no free membership toy at all.

"But Andrusi!" you say. "Couldn't FP just credit all current members with a month of extra membership time?" Well, sure, you could. Of course, then the guy who signed up March 1 gets both Side Burn and Runamuck for the price of one membership, which probably messes up Runamuck's production numbers, and also probably makes him a little grumpy if he already paid his $40 to renew for the sake of getting Runamuck. And yes, I'm sure there's some way to work around that, but by this point we're getting into compensations for compensations for compensations over something that, frankly, boils down to people waiting until the last possible second to do something and then complaining when they run into last-minute problems. And I don't appreciate being accused of various "convincing yourself you like a terrible situation" cliches for being able to accept this.

The Stockholm Syndrome remark was harsh and I probably should have left it out. Please accept my apologies. That said, it seems to me that the fandom is split between the extremes of people calling for Hasbro to revoke the license and people accepting that FunPub will fix it all, despite explanations "such as they are," to use G.B. Blackrock's phrase. I think it would help if both sides move to the center.

I respect your slippery slope argument. I'm viewing this completely from the lens of crisis management and I'm not convinced that FunPub is doing a particularly effective job of it. What's happening behind the scenes is likely overtaxing their resources, but they have dual problems of a technical issue and a public relations issue. They seem to still be kind of behind in dealing with the second.

Regardless of the RUINED FOREVER phenomenon, we're mostly adults here. I would think that if you explain the very logical reason for not extending the deadline that you've outlined (if that's what's happening), generally people should be understanding. As it is, FunPub is piling an arbitrary sounding explanation on top of whatever goodwill was eroded by the credit card issue.

Personally, I'd suggest some plan where they keep enrollment open for another month, but with very explicit language that the membership covers the period from March 16, 2012-March 16, 2013. I'm sure some people would rail about how they're "cheated" out of that month. Given that FunPub just sold a very well executed figure that is, in part, designed to work with the free figure, I'd think that doing something to allow greater access to that figure would be overall appreciated.

In full disclosure, I am the rare example of someone who has miraculously not been hit with fraud and who renewed before the store went down. So I have no reason to be angry (and ultimately I'm not). I'm pulling for FunPub to emerge unscathed, but I think transparency about what's happening is the best way to try and diffuse the situation.

You've got to have a goat.

#20 G.B.Blackrock

G.B.Blackrock

Autobot Ally

• Supporter
  • 9330 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 06:01 PM

QUOTE(GodmasterElvis @ Mar 9 2012, 02:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Stockholm Syndrome remark was harsh and I probably should have left it out. Please accept my apologies. That said, it seems to me that the fandom is split between the extremes of people calling for Hasbro to revoke the license and people accepting that FunPub will fix it all, despite explanations "such as they are," to use G.B. Blackrock's phrase. I think it would help if both sides move to the center.

I'm pretty happy to agree that it would be helpful to move more to the center and away from the extremes, unless someone is trying to suggest that somehow I'm on one of those extremes.

Because if someone gets that impression having read my posts over the years (I've had plenty bad to say about FP on occasion), I'm not sure what I can do that would make me appear to move toward the center.
TransformingSeminarian.2.gif
Curator of The Unofficial Convention and Club Exclusive data pages (now with a new URL thanks to Captured Prey).

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users