17 replies to this topic

#1 Magick

Magick

Autobot Rainbow Brigade

• Citizen
  • 2562 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:57 AM

Hi all. Does anyone have the TF:Prime Season One on Blu-ray? I read the review at http://www.blu-ray.c...y/34899/#Review and was concerned about the banding and general video quality issues. They liked the sound and extras, but dinged the video. I want to get the BR version, but if it has annoying video issues then I'll get the DVD version.

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum. I checked the Transformers TV forum and it appeared to be geared toward individual episodes than DVD reviews.

Edited by Magick, 07 March 2012 - 02:00 AM.

How is it that we put man on the moon before we figured out it would be a good idea to put wheels on luggage?

#2 Buster Darkwings

Buster Darkwings

evil bisshie

• Citizen
  • 3190 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 02:03 AM

According to Brian Ward on the Shout Factory forums, the banding is part of the source material. So the DVDs won't look any better in that regard.

Edited by Buster Darkwings, 07 March 2012 - 02:04 AM.

#3 Magick

Magick

Autobot Rainbow Brigade

• Citizen
  • 2562 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 07 March 2012 - 02:19 AM

I've wondered about that, but was hoping someone who had it could provide more detail.
How is it that we put man on the moon before we figured out it would be a good idea to put wheels on luggage?

#4 dcjosh

dcjosh

Josh

• Citizen
  • 5476 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 07 March 2012 - 02:31 AM

I think tfw reviewed an early copy or something talking about the video quality.the pictures really great, its just "technically" not as great as it could be (banding and all that) but the episodes themselves are still gorgeous to look at. Not really that big of a deal really imo

I should be getting my copy on Thursday. Apparently the blu ray version is online only? (Didn't know that)

-Click to view my Digital Portfolio-

#5 RCX

RCX
  • Retired Staff
  • 2429 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:38 PM

Can someone explain what banding is?
"I am stronger than you know."
- Rattrap, The Weak Component

#6 mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon

The world suffused with sound

• Supporter
  • 17330 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:44 PM

QUOTE(RCX @ Mar 7 2012, 09:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can someone explain what banding is?

If you do a quick Google image search for "Video Banding" or somesuch, you can get some good examples.

Essentially, colour gradients aren't smoothly blended, meaning that you get distinct "stripes" or "bands" of colours.

#7 RCX

RCX
  • Retired Staff
  • 2429 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:02 PM

*looks it up*

Eh, that jive is par for the course with CGI shows and LCD TVs. These people have too much time on their hands to complain about such minor things, especially with the uber-compression of cable signals these days.

Edited by RCX, 07 March 2012 - 01:02 PM.

"I am stronger than you know."
- Rattrap, The Weak Component

#8 Ursa Magnus

Ursa Magnus

I... beg your pardon?

• Retired Staff
  • 8771 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:12 PM

Mine is en route, and should arrive Saturday. I'm anxious to watch these in a quality better than Youtube. icon-hotrod.gif

#9 Kalidor

Kalidor

Get some!

• Owner
  • 55512 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:13 PM

I have the DVD and have reviwed it but I didn't get a Blu-Ray copy.

#10 mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon

• Supporter
  • 17330 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:19 PM

QUOTE(God Fire Convoy @ Mar 6 2012, 11:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I should be getting my copy on Thursday. Apparently the blu ray version is online only? (Didn't know that)

Considering that I just picked it up at Future Shop (Canadian retail) yesterday... no?

#11 dcjosh

dcjosh

Josh

• Citizen
  • 5476 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:34 PM

Hm. Well maybe canaaas different

Some people were sayin on tfw that that's what the deal is (which would explain why I haven't spotted any at the stores. Just the dvd versions)

But anyway, I ordered on amazon n should get it tomorrow

-Click to view my Digital Portfolio-

#12 mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon

• Supporter
  • 17330 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:39 PM

That could be the case.

In which case, I'm happy to have been able to pick it up on a whim.

Edited by mx-01 archon, 07 March 2012 - 01:40 PM.

#13 Razorsaw

Razorsaw

True Blue Heroes

• Citizen
  • 28306 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 02:04 PM

I got the BD.

I think the show looks AMAZING.

"Disabled people donít have special needs. We have very reasonable human needs. Our needs include freedom from abuse, violence, and mistreatment, the right to autonomy and self-direction, the right to represent ourselves, equal opportunity for education and employment, the right to accommodation, and societal inclusion and acceptance.

The need for accommodation isnít a ďspecial needĒ. Itís a basic human right. Itís a leveling of the playing field that allows us the same opportunities and chances as non-disabled people."

- Amethyst Schaber, http://neurowonderful.tumblr.com/

#14 Professor

Professor
  • Citizen
  • 4035 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 02:06 PM

Eh, that jive is par for the course with CGI shows and LCD TVs. These people have too much time on their hands to complain about such minor things, especially with the uber-compression of cable signals these days.

And over cable, they shouldn't complain. The Blu-Ray format, though, is more than capable of running those kinds of images uncompressed, and the production source material almost certainly didn't have the banding either. People should definitely expect better than that from a BD.

#15 mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon

• Supporter
  • 17330 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 02:12 PM

QUOTE(Professor @ Mar 7 2012, 11:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
and the production source material almost certainly didn't have the banding either

But apparently it did.

#16 Shockwave 75

Shockwave 75
  • Supporter
  • 4682 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:02 PM

I got mine from Amazon today and haven't noticed a problem.

14505516453_93ecb79ea9_n.jpg forum_banner.jpg
"The objective truths of the world are controversial only to people who are both under-informed and who like to argue." - Neil deGrasse Tyson

#17 Buster Darkwings

Buster Darkwings

evil bisshie

• Citizen
  • 3190 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:26 PM

QUOTE(mx-01 archon @ Mar 8 2012, 04:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Professor @ Mar 7 2012, 11:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
and the production source material almost certainly didn't have the banding either

But apparently it did.

This doesn't necessarily mean that it has to be in the Blu-ray as well, since there are various technologies that reduce/eliminate it, such as Sony's SBMV: http://www.eclectice...for-video-sbmv/

Banding used to be fairly common on anime BDs in Japan before companies started using it. I don't expect a small company like Shout Factory to know or bother with such software though, as I imagine the license to use it isn't free.

#18 Professor

Professor
  • Citizen
  • 4035 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:06 AM

But apparently it did.

No, what was given to Shout Factory had the banding. It is enormously unlikely that the original renders had the banding, and there are almost certainly uncompressed masters of the episodes out there. At some point it was compressed (maybe for air on HDTV?), and that's apparently what they gave to Shout Factory.

As BD notes, there are ways to remove banding and otherwise clean up lower-res or compressed source material. However, a modern CG-rendered series shouldn't be having this issue in the first place. Someone was thoughtless or indifferent about what source material was given to Shout to work from.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users