1 reply to this topic

#1 Shockwave 75

Shockwave 75

We need to get this place sprayed.

• Supporter
  • 4658 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:47 PM

I just acquired this set as a "Grail Prize" from a new collecting website called ShelfLife. It's rather like Crave was before it had to shut down. I suggest checking it out. Anyway...

The unofficial reissue Surprise Headmaster Gift Set!

A very nice looking set, very professional and slick.

It looks like something that Takara/Tomy might actually put out.

Here we have the 4 Spikes and Zaraks. I'm not going to waste a lot of time reviewing them since basically if you've seen one Spike/Zarak you've seen them all. One of the plus's to this set is that you don't have to worry about the ravages of GPS with this Black Zarak.
The plastic quality is quite nice. It's not as glossy as the originals, but it still looks good.
Here they are in their robot modes:

And here they are in their head modes:

Now to the good stuff. The Headmasters that everyone wants to see. The guys referred to in the TV Magzine Supergod Masterforce story Master File #1 as the Headmaster Teens.

First up are Kirk, Rodney, and Loafer:

In their head modes only Rodney has the same style of lower leg as all the regular Headmasters that are big and blocky, meant to cover up the robot mode body while giving the illusion of a more complete head. The other two have rather stylized legs. Rodney is also unique in the way he transforms to head mode. He is the only one in this set that folds his legs "up"; meaning he kinda sits down to become a head. The only other Headmaster that shares this type of transformation is Krunk who is paired with Snapdragon.

There's not much fiction around these guys. They didn't even originally come with tech specs, nor do they now. But one easy way to remedy that is to attach them to a Headmaster body:

Kirk's readout is SPD: 7 STR: 9 INT: 6, Rodney: SPD: 10 STR: 7 INT: 10, Loafer: SPD: 10 STR: 9 INT: 8

Now the beast mode Headmasters Toraizer, Lione, and Shuffler. All four can move their legs and Shuffler actually has articulation in his trunk that has nothing to do with his transformation. It can move up and down slightly.

Toraizer and Lione have basically the same transformation to head mode except you fold Toraizer's head back while you bring Lione's head forward so it remains visible. Shuffler has a pretty involved transformation for a Headmaster, it's actually a 4 step transformation. All 3 have their robot mode faces on their bellies.

Like the other three, these three have little fiction associated with them. In the case of Shuffler, none at all! But like the other three all one need do is plug them into a Headmaster body.

Toraizer: SPD: 9 STR: 8 INT: 8, Lione: SPD: 7 STR: 7 INT: 8, Shuffler: SPD: 4 STR: 10 INT: 9

All of these guys, with the exception of Shuffler appeared in the Headmasters episodes Miraculous Warriors, Targetmasters prt 2, and Operation: Destroy the Decepticons!, though their physical appearances varied between the two episodes.

This is a great set and I recommend anyone interested try and track one down. It's really the only way to own these figures without either being indepndantly wealthy or winning the lottery.

Oh, and I'll attach a nice pic I took of the battle scene on the back of the box in case anyone would like to use it as a background. I am!
box_battle_surprise_headmaster_giftset2.JPG

Edited by Shockwave 75, 07 March 2012 - 09:53 AM.

#2 Shockwave 75

Shockwave 75

We need to get this place sprayed.

• Supporter
  • 4658 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:03 AM

Forgot to add a theory of mine.

I think that if they had been released in North America they definitely would have been split up between the factions.

Assuming their looks wouldn't have been changed; and really why would they? Back in the 80's there was little chance of anyone in North America being able to get the Japanese versions, unlike today.

I think the split would have been done thusly:

Autobots: Kirk, Loafer, and Toraizer; just because I thnk their faces look most "Autobot-like".

Decpticons: Rodney, Lione, and Shuffler; again, because they look the most "Decepticon-like".

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users