685 replies to this topic

#1 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

Doom On You

• Retired Staff
  • 17504 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:50 AM

So, I took a stroll today down to Toys R Us and Target. Hey, they had Prime toys out!

Want to know what they had between the two stores?

15 BUMBLEBEES and Two Cliffjumpers.

And, BTW, they're sitting next to DotM Bumblebee's in both stores.

This is what is known as a 'bad start' to a toyline.

So I take a glance over at Robot Kingdom where there's some more distribution lists. In case you don't know what's coming.

http://robotkingdom....i...=91&lang=us

Wave 1:
3 Bumblebees, 2 Cliffjumper and Wheeljacks, 1 Soundwave

Wave 2:
3 MORE BUMBLEBEES (and 1 of Soundwave, Wheeljack, Cliffjumper, Arcee and Ratchet).

Wow that's awful, I wonder what Wave 3-

ANOTHER GODDAMNED BUMBLEBEE, 2 Hot Shots (WHO IS A BUMBLEBEE REPAINT), 2 Knockouts, 1 Ratchet, Arcee and... 1 Vehicon.

So, just to be clear, in the first three waves, there are 7 BUMBLEBEES AND 2 BUMBLEBEE REPAINTS = with 3 Wheeljack/Cliffjumpers, and 2 of everything else. Except the Vehicon.

That's right, they shortpacked the first natural troop builder we've gotten years.

In short, WHAT THE HELL IS WITH HASBRO AND BUMBLEBEE? I know the theory is that Kids Want Bumblebee's, but I think DotM proved the Bumblebee craze is over - or at least lessoned. Does anything that's happened in the last couple of years justify 7 Bumblebees and 2 Bumblebee repaints (not to mention a Leader class coming later) in the first 3 waves? They're ALREADY shelfwarming!

So who here is dreading another year of straight Bumblebee's clogging shelves?

#2 Razorsaw

Razorsaw

True Blue Heroes

• Citizen
  • 27887 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:55 AM

Retailers Determine Case Assortments.

#3 ShinRa Inc

ShinRa Inc

Professional Malcontent

• Citizen
  • 1848 posts
  • Location:Mt. Vernon, VA Home: Long Island, NY Previous: Tampa, FL
  • Faction::Free Agent

As I've said elsewhere, my TRU is already two full pegs of about 20 Prime Bumblebees, one peg of Legion Bumblebees. Next to DOTM Shelfwarmers.

And then Walmart had 4 Bumblebees, a Cliffjumper, and two Voyager Primes.

Yeah, it's gotten old already.
xvpu.jpg
Looking for; 2005 Botcon Ratchet, Junker Classics Optimus Prime (for parts)

#4 Darkstream

Darkstream

The original darkstream since 2003!

• Supporter
  • 20494 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

im buying takara mostly so mostly i dont care

#5 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

Doom On You

• Retired Staff
  • 17504 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:57 AM

QUOTE(ShinRa Inc @ Mar 1 2012, 09:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As I've said elsewhere, my TRU is already two full pegs of about 20 Prime Bumblebees, one peg of Legion Bumblebees. Next to DOTM Shelfwarmers.

Who wants to take a bet on that we're not going to get any TF Prime toys past wave, say, 4? Maybe 5?

#6 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 27961 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:09 AM

QUOTE(Master Fwiffo @ Mar 2 2012, 12:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(ShinRa Inc @ Mar 1 2012, 09:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Who wants to take a bet on that we're not going to get any TF Prime toys past wave, say, 4? Maybe 5?

Five waves is probably about right. At which time Prime Bumblebees will still be clogging the shelves. This discussion kind of already happened two weeks ago in regards to market oversaturation and stagnation. I think it was in the First Edition thread? Retailers consider Bumblebee and Prime to be the Superman/Batman/random current movie superhero and always want those two on the shelves in some form. It sucks. Hard.
Fall of Cybertron will blow your mind. That is all.

#7 Sprocket

Sprocket

Problematic.

• Citizen
  • 8006 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:34 AM

It's kind of amazing how hard it is to collect a robot cast the same size as Beast Wars' first season.
Being part of any fandom is fundamentally embarassing.

#8 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

I don't like the color...

• Supporter
  • 3288 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:52 AM

This is the point where I break out that picture of all the Bumblebees I own icon-fire.gif

It's the same way over here. The stores started carrying Prime figures and guess what mute, yellow bot is clogging up the shelves already? Yes! It's the Bumblejerk himself.

You would think the retailers would have caught on by now... I mean, I'm sure they like selling their toys, right? So, if they determine case assortments, then why do they keep doing the same thing that left them with clogged shelves the last time?

0n39.png

#9 Ghost Robot

Ghost Robot

Rockin' in the Free World

• Citizen
  • 1092 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:56 AM

I'm with you, Fwiff. I actually overpaid for PRID Megatron when I was at TRU last week because I was so sick of finding nothing except Bumblebees (they had six on the shelves, meaning they sold through the entirety of two cases, EXCEPT for Bee).

Now that HTS has removed all PRID deluxe listings from their site - sans BB, of course - I'm pretty much done. I'm throwing in the towel. Not being able to buy the figures I want at retail is one thing but when I basically have no options online (at least no options that don't include buying one or more Bumblebees) then this hobby starts getting to the point of being too frustrating to put up with. Throw in all the canceled figures we've failed to get recently, an entire subline (movie trilogy) that's exclusive to a foreign market (necessitating higher prices if I want to get any of those figures), and rising personal expenses and I just can't be bothered anymore.

Edited by Ghost Robot, 02 March 2012 - 01:57 AM.

#10 tec

tec

Railgun on the run

• Citizen
  • 15051 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:07 AM

Remember back in the day when for a 7 year stretch there where exactly 4 BBs ever
Or the Beast-RiD era when there where no Batman/Superman type character

Im sick of BB not haveing a voice the jokes old already BB is not R2-D2

#11 Rosicrucian

Rosicrucian

Frater

• Citizen
  • 5882 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:26 AM

QUOTE(tec @ Mar 2 2012, 02:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Or the Beast-RiD era when there where no Batman/Superman type character
Seven Optimus Primal toys. Six Beast Wars Megatron toys. Six Cheetor toys. You were saying?

#12 tec

tec

Railgun on the run

• Citizen
  • 15051 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:57 AM

yes but never over satration like with BB or Tuner Mudflap

#13 M Sipher

M Sipher

Tinja Nurtles.

• Citizen
  • 10447 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:40 AM

Yeah, because the line was nowhere near as successful then as it is now.

M "I Think I'll 'Suffer' The Success" Sipher
The ISLE OF RANGOON - Advantures in Learning and Sarcasm!
Holy crap Sipher has a Tumblr apparently!
http://www.tfwiki.net - We left Wikia before it was cool to do so!

"I don't know whether it's a new thing, but it's certainly a current thing, in that it doesn't seem to matter what facts are. It used to be, everyone was entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts."
- Stephen Colbert

#14 Megatoron

Megatoron
  • Citizen
  • 257 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:01 AM

Could Hasbro be doing this intentionally to accumulate public animosity toward Bee in order to justify his grusome termination some point down the road, as oppose to the public outrage triggered by the death of Optimus Prime back in 1986?

#15 gargunkle

gargunkle

super-duper spikey-pokey

• Citizen
  • 4748 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:07 AM

I'm trying to figure out when the overBeeing started. Movie 1? Movie 2? I don't really remember it being bad at all with movie 1. Then with movie 2 we had something like this but with the twins.

Something's so out of whack.
QUOTE(kyde)
Not my finest work, but when life gives you lemons, they're yellow so just paint black stripes on them and call them Bumblebee. Kids will buy them.

#16 Betty Nor

Betty Nor

Das Feuer liebt mich

• Citizen
  • 6558 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:44 AM

I'm having a hard time trying discern which of you are being sarcastic/snarky and which are being dead serious/ranting.

I'm throwing my lot in with this whole thread being ridiculous.

Check out my eBay sales.  Gotta pare down my massive collection into something more managable.

Nothing this week

#17 Gryllid

Gryllid

Not a Real Fan

• Supporter
  • 1414 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:15 AM

QUOTE(Megatoron @ Mar 2 2012, 04:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Could Hasbro be doing this intentionally to accumulate public animosity toward Bee in order to justify his grusome termination some point down the road, as oppose to the public outrage triggered by the death of Optimus Prime back in 1986?

Uh...probably not.

I love the idea of Hasbro intentionally making truckloads of toys that won't sell, just so people won't complain about something that would happen in a cartoon, though.

#18 TSM-in-N.Y.

TSM-in-N.Y.

Enough Blood For You?

• Citizen
  • 4892 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:34 AM

Not only don't retailers determine case assortments they ("they" = pretty much any brick & mortar operation) don't even do their (re)orders based on specific cases.

TRU/WalMart/Target etc. says we need more TFs: Prime dlxs./Avengers movie 3 3/4" figs./ G.I. Joe movie 2 Bravo class vehicles and so on and so forth and Hasbro sends whatever the fornicate they feel like.

They can pull off this little stunt b/c the big box retailers don't give 1/69th the thought into these toys that the collectors do.

The flipside of this coin is that the etailers make out like bandits b/c they sell specific figs and cases that Hasbro has to deliver.

EE sells me case "Y" of Hasbro's Star Wars Vintage collection figure and they (they = EE) have to deliver that specific case they advertise and in turn I ordered or they don't get my money. Hasbro has to deliver to the etailers exactly what the etailers order.

Hasbro can't just toss case after case of wave 1 of line "X" to the etailers b/c the etailers won't take them. WalMart/TRU/etc. they don't give an excrement.

I honestly don't know if, after all this time some of you who have been collectors and/or in the fandom for so many years, that you folks haven't picked up on this on purpose and think it's funny to make ignorant posts about how the sky is falling or if you are being willfully oblivious.

It's not some great conspiracy (over produce Bumblebee figs. so Hasbro can kill off the character? Are you serious?) Hasbro and the retailers/etailers are interested in only ONE thing. PROFIT!!!11one

Could Hasbro make even more money with better case ratios? Almost definetly. But it seems that everyone is satisfied with the status quo as far as the profit side of things are concerned that things don't look to be changing. At least in the near future. :-/

Perhaps all of the items that from various Hasbro lines that have either been cancelled or turned into Asian market/Canadian market/Ross and/or other discount store "exclusives" are the result of the mistakes that both Hasbro and the retailers have continually made over the last several years.

Your friend, TSM-in-N.Y.

"You have become the very thing you swore to destroy!"
KEEP THE BEATS PHRESH YO! TSM-in-N.Y.

"To paraphrase the great M. Biehn in The Terminator, I don't misspell words, you do. Don't do that again. Listen and understand, I am out here. I can't be bargained with, I can't be reasoned with. I don't feel pity, or remorse, or fear and I absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!" - TSM-in-N.Y.

"I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because, uh, some people out there in our nation don't have maps, and, uh, I believe that our education, like such as in South Africa and the Iraq, everywhere, like, such as. And I believe that they should, our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S., er, should help South Africa, and should help the Iraq and the Asian countries, so we will be able to build up our future for our children." Lauren Caitlin Upton - Miss South Carolina Teen USA 2007, answering a question on why 20 percent of Americans surveyed are unable to locate the U.S. on a world map.

#19 LBD "Nytetrayn"

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Quyzbuk

• Supporter
  • 14405 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:51 AM

I want a Bumblebee for my backyard like Michael Bay has.

And a backyard to put it in.

But beyond that, I'm good. I have Classics, Stealth Movie, Animated, Legends, Movie Legends (old version), and a knock-off of Classic Pretender from G1. I guess I could do with a Prime version, but that's just it: a Prime version...

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gif0g9jaoG.gifuWt4fLV.gif

6E96J7Z.jpg

gNLoMUt.png

#20 NightViper

NightViper

Ehhhhh...

• Public Relations
  • 33870 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:55 AM

QUOTE(TSM-in-N.Y. @ Mar 2 2012, 07:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not only don't retailers determine case assortments they ("they" = pretty much any brick & mortar operation) don't even do their (re)orders based on specific cases.

TRU/WalMart/Target etc. says we need more TFs: Prime dlxs./Avengers movie 3 3/4" figs./ G.I. Joe movie 2 Bravo class vehicles and so on and so forth and Hasbro sends whatever the fornicate they feel like.

They can pull off this little stunt b/c the big box retailers don't give 1/69th the thought into these toys that the collectors do.

The flipside of this coin is that the etailers make out like bandits b/c they sell specific figs and cases that Hasbro has to deliver.

EE sells me case "Y" of Hasbro's Star Wars Vintage collection figure and they (they = EE) have to deliver that specific case they advertise and in turn I ordered or they don't get my money. Hasbro has to deliver to the etailers exactly what the etailers order.

Hasbro can't just toss case after case of wave 1 of line "X" to the etailers b/c the etailers won't take them. WalMart/TRU/etc. they don't give an excrement.

I honestly don't know if, after all this time some of you who have been collectors and/or in the fandom for so many years, that you folks haven't picked up on this on purpose and think it's funny to make ignorant posts about how the sky is falling or if you are being willfully oblivious.

It's not some great conspiracy (over produce Bumblebee figs. so Hasbro can kill off the character? Are you serious?) Hasbro and the retailers/etailers are interested in only ONE thing. PROFIT!!!11one

Could Hasbro make even more money with better case ratios? Almost definetly. But it seems that everyone is satisfied with the status quo as far as the profit side of things are concerned that things don't look to be changing. At least in the near future. :-/

Perhaps all of the items that from various Hasbro lines that have either been cancelled or turned into Asian market/Canadian market/Ross and/or other discount store "exclusives" are the result of the mistakes that both Hasbro and the retailers have continually made over the last several years.

Your friend, TSM-in-N.Y.

"You have become the very thing you swore to destroy!"

We're not talking on the brick and mortar level. We're talking on the corporate level. And yes, the corporate level buyers have a huge impact on which toys Hasbro makes.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users