Events you'd like to see at Botcon.

5 replies to this topic

#1 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 10573 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:23 PM

Was just looking at a discussion of the Bot Shots figures and it got me thinking that it might be pretty neat if they held some kinda Bot Shots tournament at the show. I think it might be a cool little event.

Maybe you pay a small entry fee, get to pick a Bot Shot blind from a garbage bag or something and best two out of three wins each bracket. Everyone gets to keep their Bot Shot (hence the sign up fee) and the winner gets like one of the 3_Packs. Making this up as I go along, so no deep thought about this but it sounds like it might be a fun event and way to promote the new game/line.

What other activities/events would you like to see at the Con that they havn't done before.

-ZacWilliam, there have been a number of TF board games over the years, that could be a tournament too.

Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#2 Dissever

Dissever

WHOO WHOO Spring!

• Citizen
  • 4692 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:54 PM

No where near as interactive as Bot Shots, but...

Since BotCon often invites a large number of comic artist guests, I would love to see some type of Iron Artist event Friday evening, and possibly auctioned off (MAYBE even for Hasbro Children's Hospital???) either Saturday night or Sunday morning -- although this might get more truck if there are other items being auctioned as well. The artists might appreciate a break from sitting at tables at the dealer room. icon-arcee.gif

Each Iron Artist round would consist of the artists being given either a specific subject matter, or a certain artistic medium, as their 'Iron Artist Ingredient'. Lite Brite pegs? Fingerpaints? *crickets*

They should be able to...
- Work quickly, (15 minutes allowed per round prior to judging, maybe 30 min for a finale), in large format so more audience members will have a good view.
- Works under pressure despite constant distraction -- often provided by host commenting on work throughout the drawing/creation period.
- Can explain/defend his or her work to the panel of judges and public in an attempt to gain their votes.
- Wants to win. A People?s Choice Award will be determined by popular vote. Prizes, perhaps in the form of dealer room credit, could be given for especially outstanding work.

********************************* ->?<- *********************************
I DO ART (SOMETIMES!!) Transformers and dragons, oh my! http://heatherbeast.deviantart.com
********************************* ->?<- *********************************

#3 GEN1FAN

GEN1FAN
  • Citizen
  • 345 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:06 PM

Scavenger Hunt,

The idea is this,
1) You have 4 to 5 locations with in a 4 blocks each way of the main hotel.
2) Each team can have 4 members on it, if you have more then one person on the team, the person who signs up is the captain / leader.
3) Each team would start at the same time, with the same amount of clues in a large envelope.
4) Each large envelope would have 4 white envelopes inside, with each white envelope have a clue in it, envelope A would be the hardest clue, with each envelope you open u get more clues on the locations, with envelope D being the name / address of the location.
5) Once each team gets to the location they would HAVE to turn in the old large envelope with all white envelope used or not used, to recevied the next large envelope.
6) Once all teams get to the final Location they would received a gift bag, have 1 prize for each location inside the bag. Once all time get to the final location staff would add up each teams scores. The team with the highest score with the lowest time would get a grand prize. If a team gets to a location with only using clue A they would get 50 points, if a team just opens clue D and goes straight to the location they would get 0 points and time would be add to their over all time.

7) yes their would be a fee to be a part of this event. it would be used only to cover the cost of the prizes.

#4 G.B.Blackrock

G.B.Blackrock

Autobot Ally

• Supporter
  • 9250 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 05 March 2012 - 01:01 PM

This is less a "something they've never done" and more "something I'd like them to do again... but differently." A few years ago, for a couple of years running, BotCon hosted a game-show they called "Faction Feud" where representatives of the various boards competed against each other in a quiz show.

I still want to see this done more properly like the "Family Feud" from whence the contest got it's name. Not a quiz show, but a survey show. "Besides Starscream, name a Transformer whose name begins with 'S'." Stuff like that. There isn't a "right" answer, so much as you have to have a feel for what other people think. Surveys could be conducted either online, or at the preceding BotCon (which, of course, would make this more viable for 2013 than 2012). If getting precisely 100 people to answer each question is considered too difficult, just use percentages to achieve the same basic scoring system.

(And, for those who might ask. I do indeed have a Family Feud front-end on my computer from which a game might be conducted with the appropriate overhead projection. I used it to create this photocomic several years ago, and it works great! Especially if we don't worry about the "Fast Money" bonus round.)

Edited by G.B.Blackrock, 05 March 2012 - 01:03 PM.

TransformingSeminarian.2.gif
Curator of The Unofficial Convention and Club Exclusive data pages (now with a new URL thanks to Captured Prey).

#5 Fender Bender

Fender Bender

Decepticon Cheesehead

• Citizen
  • 457 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 23 March 2012 - 11:25 PM

QUOTE(G.B.Blackrock @ Mar 5 2012, 01:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is less a "something they've never done" and more "something I'd like them to do again... but differently." A few years ago, for a couple of years running, BotCon hosted a game-show they called "Faction Feud" where representatives of the various boards competed against each other in a quiz show.

I still want to see this done more properly like the "Family Feud" from whence the contest got it's name. Not a quiz show, but a survey show. "Besides Starscream, name a Transformer whose name begins with 'S'." Stuff like that. There isn't a "right" answer, so much as you have to have a feel for what other people think. Surveys could be conducted either online, or at the preceding BotCon (which, of course, would make this more viable for 2013 than 2012). If getting precisely 100 people to answer each question is considered too difficult, just use percentages to achieve the same basic scoring system.

(And, for those who might ask. I do indeed have a Family Feud front-end on my computer from which a game might be conducted with the appropriate overhead projection. I used it to create this photocomic several years ago, and it works great! Especially if we don't worry about the "Fast Money" bonus round.)

Yeah, I partook in the "Board Wars" a couple times on Team Seibertron. I didn't like the format either. The first time, I thought it was going to be either like Family Feud, as you described, or like a quiz bowl competition where anyone on the team could answer the question. When I seen what it was, I was tempted to pass the 2nd year, but then I heard they changed it some. When I got there, it was exactly the same with exactly the same questions.

As for other competitions, it would be pretty cool if the Kreo Designers did a competition to see who can build a set the fastest. Would be even cooler if it were a Botcon Exclusive item, much like the Custom Class figure, only not as limited in numbers.

Additionally, I'd like to see a separate category in the Art Competition for Kreos.

Part of me wishes that there was more of a carnival feel to Botcon, rather than just a flea market.

Would be kind of cool to see somebody set up kind of a carnival game using old Junker Bots and Nerf Guns. Knock the bots over with the nerf gun, win a prize.

Maybe have "Speed Planet Races" like Pinewood Derby races and have a separate painting class just for decorating car modes, mainly for the kids. Would be great if Hasbro could get some All White Bumblebees, since the kiddies love him and making him all white would be easier for them to paint and get creative.

You know those "Guess How Many M&M's are in the Jar" contests. Do that with Minicons or Cyberverse figs.

Spray Tattoos are always popular if one set up shop.

Could do a "Guess That Robot" competition where you have the contestants blindfolded and you put a Transformer in front of them. They have to feel it to figure out what the figure it is, first to guess correct wins. OR, you could make the contestants try to transform said Transformer while blindfolded first.

I could see Jumpstarter Races at Botcon, despite that kind of being Dairycon's thing.

Edited by Fender Bender, 23 March 2012 - 11:42 PM.

#6 TrnsfrmGod

TrnsfrmGod

Home

• Supporter
  • 4373 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:55 AM

QUOTE(Fender Bender @ Mar 24 2012, 12:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Could do a "Guess That Robot" competition where you have the contestants blindfolded and you put a Transformer in front of them. They have to feel it to figure out what the figure it is, first to guess correct wins.

I've thought about a similar idea. Granted, this is very idiotic, and I realize this, though I think it might also be a little interesting...

Identify the Transformer by its bubble.

For some odd reason, I've been saving the bubble packs from the deluxe TFs, and every now and again I'll glance at one of 'em to see if I can figure out who used to be in it. Sometimes I can figure it out, with little clues like the molded faction sigils on the movie figures, or by roughly approximating what the included weapon is.

But the long and the short of this is that I really need to throw some stuff out in my apartment icon-fire.gif

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users