976 replies to this topic

#1 The Predaking

The Predaking

Warlord is amazing!

• Supporter
  • 35256 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:07 AM

So lets keep all the spoilers and discussion for the single player game in here folks.

Since the game doesn't come out for 6 more days, yeah.

So how about them Reapers?

Edited by The Predaking, 29 February 2012 - 02:41 PM.

Restoring an Old Arcade Machine!

http://www.allspark....ade-game/page-2

#2 Stilton Disco

Stilton Disco
  • Citizen
  • 3714 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:51 AM

Turns out the Reapers are morons.

Spoilers Ho!

The Reason they're doing this whole cycle of extinctions thing is because they believe a technological singularity will inevitably cause AI's to be created, and that these AI's will see organics as too different to them to be related to, are thus a threat, and so will wipe out all organics on principal.

Apparently they think this way because they were built by an ancient race who suffered a Skynet like catastrophe.

These aliens were pricks.?

Rather than think they might have made a mistake when building this AI, handled their introductions badly, or just decided not to build anymore AI's, these ancient aliens decided synthetic life itself was at fault, because it couldn't possibly be anything else, and created The Reapers to kill all organic species before they got to a stage of technological advancement where they might start building AI's.

To sum up: they created machines that would wipe out all organic life in the galaxy, in order to prevent machines wiping out all organic life in the galaxy.

Now, this wasn't the original motivation for the Reapers. Originally, they were meant to be preventing dark energy coming in from outside the galaxy from prematurely causing all stars to die. That's why we had so many references to dark energy in ME2. The Reapers acted as giant energy sinks, which is why they sit outside the galaxy for 50,000 years, to act as a shirld. However, as time goes on the amount of Dark Energy increases, so they need to harvest more species to create more Reapers, hence the cycle. The reason they use intelligent species is to use the victims brain as a hive minded organic computer, in the holes of comming up with a more permanent solution eventually.

The end of the game would have given Shepard the choice of either blowing the Reapers apart and hoping everyone can come up with a new way to stop Dark Energy, or bargaining the Reapers down to just taking Humans for a new Reaper, and leaving everyone else alone.

Then ME1&2 Lead Writer Drew Karpyshyn left to work on SWTOR, and Mac Walter took over.

And apparently Mac is an appalling writer.

Not least of all for failing to remember that a significant portion of the last two games was spent teaching us that AI's are not inherently evil, and ME 3 proves the Reapers are wrong by having 2 AI's willing to live peacefully with organics, EDI and the Geth.

Hell, EDI even shags Joker. Which might kill him, but not intentionally.

So basically the Reapers entire motivation is flat out wrong, and means they're just irrational machines incapable of reasoning or thinking outside their programming, built by a bunch of insane, arrogant cowards.

Edited by Total Biscuit, 29 February 2012 - 10:52 AM.

No, I'm not 'that' TotalBiscuit.

#3 Confuzor

Confuzor

They put em in Smash Bros!!!!

• Supporter
  • 5081 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 02:10 PM

Could we please spoiler tag actual spoilers since the game hasn't actually come out yet?

#4 The Predaking

The Predaking

Warlord is amazing!

• Supporter
  • 35256 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 02:41 PM

Well, the thread is for spoilers.

#5 Dissever

Dissever

WHOO WHOO Spring!

• Citizen
  • 4740 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:00 AM

I have hesitated to remark on this because I felt like I wasn't qualified, since I have only WATCHED play progression in ME2. However, the threadjiveting in ALL THREE ME topics has gotten really old, really fast. /WHY/ would a crop of downer endings to a trilogy such an affront? Better yet, why is the LACK of a fruity fluff ending for the trilogy such an affront? The story-telling will be good! Why is that not sufficient?
********************************* ->?<- *********************************
I DO ART (SOMETIMES!!) Transformers and dragons, oh my! http://heatherbeast.deviantart.com
********************************* ->?<- *********************************

#6 Sobana

Sobana

Destroyer of Love & Identity Thief

• MORON
  • 0 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:09 AM

So, the Reapers are kinda like the Flood from Halo? The Flood is going to kill off all intelligent life in the universe? The only sane course of action, kill off all intelligent life before they do! Ancient aline races had weird problem solving skills. 'Terrorists got a nuke? Nuke your own country before they can! Make them feel really disappointed!'

Wait! What am I doing in a spoiler thread!? O_O *skitters away*
Spoiler

#7 JRSBill

JRSBill

Bow Ties are Cool

• Supporter
  • 1181 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:28 AM

Well I was charged by Gamestop yesterday as the charge showed up on my card this morning. My local crap hole was sold out of the N7 edition so I ordered it from the website, negating me from wanting to go to the midnight opening with some friends. Why go when I won't be picking anything up.

Hopefully the master on/off switch for the reapers is not as easy as the lambent Brumak from Gears 2, yet not as rough as the Tempest/Queen from Gears 3.

#8 JRSBill

JRSBill

Bow Ties are Cool

• Supporter
  • 1181 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:49 AM

Don't know why people are still posting in the ME2 thread when there is a 3 now.....

I've got the game now and I'm one of the people that are having problems importing their old save. Don't know why, same xbox, same hard drive, not in the cloud or any of the other problems floating around.

I did have another save backed up from just after the Katsumi mission that is being recognized. I don't have Overlord, Shadow Broker or The Arrival finished with this save so I'm going to have to play through those again before trying to import the same again and then start ME3.

Good thing I took Friday off to give the game a good spin, I probably won't be able to actually start it until then with taking 5-8 hours to replay the DLC.

Edited by JRSBill, 07 March 2012 - 09:55 AM.

#9 The Predaking

The Predaking

Warlord is amazing!

• Supporter
  • 35256 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:22 AM

This game is awesome! I played it for 5 hours last night and loved it!

#10 Esser-Z

Esser-Z

IT'S AN ESSER

• Citizen
  • 32088 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:41 PM

This game is incredible. It's just so much more polished than the previous two. Runs way more smoothly for me and is GORGEOUS. Loving the writing, too. My relationship with Liara is actually acknowledged! It's great.

Cortez's homosexuality is quite possibly the most mature handling of homosexuality possible. It's simply not an issue. He had a husband. It's just like everyone else's familial connections. I love it.

HIGHLIGHT to view:
Joker/EDI is CANON. YES YES YES YES

#11 Frost181

Frost181

Now with full body armor and rocket launchers.

• Citizen
  • 3924 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:56 PM

QUOTE(JRSBill @ Mar 7 2012, 07:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't know why people are still posting in the ME2 thread when there is a 3 now.....

Personally trying to avoid most posts in this thread for spoiler fears..

#12 The Predaking

The Predaking

Warlord is amazing!

• Supporter
  • 35256 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 02:02 PM

I am just not reading it.

#13 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 35027 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:35 PM

My thoughts thus far:

- Had an issue with the game not recognizing my Shepard's custom face, and ended up having to rebuild it from scratch. Honestly I got it very close...he just has some epic cheekbones now.

- This game is amazing. Marvelous storytelling and a great continuation to the ME franchise. I like how the game starts out with the jive hitting the fan and getting progressively worse from there.

- If I had one complaint, it'd be the Journal's lack of specifics in regards to quests - or even tracking where you are at in quests - bugs the heck out of me.
 photo lup_zps837154f7.jpg
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. –Plato

#14 Hecate

Hecate

Beyond the Bounds

• Citizen
  • 28221 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:36 PM

Wow, this looks worse-animated than DA2. What happened Bioware, TOR looks great.

superliminalsubliminalliminal

#15 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 35027 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:53 PM

QUOTE(Hora Hora @ Mar 7 2012, 06:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow, this looks worse-animated than DA2.

ME3's graphics are...hit and miss. Some textures and designs are just amazing (The reworked Vorcha are incredible), but the Humans?

A touch "Plastic". Especially lil' miss war correspondent.

Seriously. There is no way that is a regulation uniform.

photo lup_zps837154f7.jpg
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. –Plato

#16 Hecate

Hecate

Beyond the Bounds

• Citizen
  • 28221 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:49 AM

Oh good lord, I just found out about the Tali business.

Bioware what are you smoking.

superliminalsubliminalliminal

#17 The Predaking

The Predaking

Warlord is amazing!

• Supporter
  • 35256 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:49 AM

Played some of the multiplayer last night. Did they increase the difficulty since the demo version or are the Geth and Reaper enemies that much harder to kill?

Edited by The Predaking, 08 March 2012 - 10:17 AM.

#18 Esser-Z

Esser-Z

IT'S AN ESSER

• Citizen
  • 32088 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:53 AM

Geth and Reapers seem harder than Cerberus. Especially Reapers.

#19 Frost181

Frost181

Now with full body armor and rocket launchers.

• Citizen
  • 3924 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:41 AM

the geth are actually the easiest of the three once you get used to them. and if you get a quarian infiltrator they just roll over and kill themselves for you. The Reapers on the other hand are some tough bastards.

Edited by Frost181, 08 March 2012 - 10:41 AM.

#20 Esser-Z

Esser-Z

IT'S AN ESSER

• Citizen
  • 32088 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:44 AM

I primarily play Vanguard, equipped for melee. I haaate pyros.

Meanwhile, man I love this game. Shepard's inability to dance is canon!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users